New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Girl Genius XIII: "Gott's Leedle Feesh in Trousers!"

Im honestly waiting for the big jolt to happen that wakes the castle back up and running. I am picturing a MASSIVE surge of defensive weaponry when that happens. Agatha NEEDS the castle to wake up and be useful or else she is royally screwed. Right now she is at the point where she is losing bit by bit. Her resources are being eroded with every action that takes place. She needs a major trump to even force things to stalemate.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

2. - Top - End - #932
    Troll in the Playground

My prediction: Next Friday, the Baron has all zeppelins outfitted with lightning cannons fire at the castle and, in the last panel, we hear "It's good to be back" from the castle.

Monday will then be followed by absolute destruction.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

3. - Top - End - #933
    Ettin in the Playground

*question*

Is the baron's son really infected by the Other, or is it just the after effect of that potion he drank based off of Lucrezia's notes to make himself immune from her mind-bug thingys? If its the latter, then why in the hell hasn't he told the baron???
    I've started streaming again.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

4. - Top - End - #934
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Because it doesn't make sense... I'm not realy infected, you see, my mortal enemy Tarvek from a family of known rebels made me drink that thing that knocked Dupree out, and now even tough it looks like I'm infected, I'm realy not. Gil knows that would only worsen his situation. Plus he might be having doubts himself at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

5. - Top - End - #935
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TechnOkami View Post
    *question*

Is the baron's son really infected by the Other, or is it just the after effect of that potion he drank based off of Lucrezia's notes to make himself immune from her mind-bug thingys? If its the latter, then why in the hell hasn't he told the baron???
    I don't think he actually drank the potion. He was going to, then he got distracted by trying to figure out why Bang was having such a massive reaction to it when he gave some to her, then before he could gulp down what was left she decked him and he didn't wake up until he was in the Baron's clutches. Gil isn't infected, he's been resisting and ignoring Agatha's orders all along; as he should have realized by now. What's confusing him is that Klaus spun a plausible story that he'd been infected, backed up by the weasel reacting to Gil and not Klaus. I'm hopeful he'll sort it out soon and manage to save himself AND Klaus; perhaps with Boris' help.

6. - Top - End - #936
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGuy

It's VERY unlikely that Gil has been wasped, even though he didn't drink the potion. Even those very much "in the know" in Stumhalten seemed to believe that there was only the singular prototype spark-wasp. Gil may suspect this, but he doesn't know for sure. He's been given enough information to reasonably believe in his fathers waspyness.

Klaus (I believe) knows darn well he's been wasped, and is probably quite convinced Gil is clean, and means to keep him that way. (I note that Gils jar provides no avenue for a slaver wasp to get at him.) edit: And I just realized, the first confinement that Klaus orders for Gil is "Air-tight, level five containment". Revenants aren't infectious to others. The seals are to protect Gil!

Barring some sudden shift, Gil and Klaus are deadlocked with Gil observing his father looking for cracks in the control while Klaus tries to open cracks for Gil to latch onto. Klaus may not know that Gil already suspects that he's been wasped, or he might not bother with the pretense in private.

I suspect what will throw the board into disarray is the firing of a very curvy checkovs gun loose cannon. At some point someone is going to try to wasp Dupree. Thinking her controlled, they will let their guard down. The mind boggles at the mayhem that will ensue. She slaughters cities with girlish glee... Have we ever actually seen her mad?
    Last edited by GaeasSon; 2012-10-19 at 07:56 PM.

7. - Top - End - #937
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GaeasSon View Post
    It's VERY unlikely that Gil has been wasped, even though he didn't drink the potion.
    More than just unlikely - The Baron's timeline has him wasped before the plot started, i.e. before Gil met Agatha in the first place. What happened when Agatha met Gil? She gave him two orders: one very timid and easily construed as not an order, and the other with all the force she could muster. Selnikov seems to think that a full-blown spark state wouldn't stop the slaver wasp from working as intended, which contradicts the two linked prologue comics.
    Last edited by Landis963; 2012-10-19 at 10:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

8. - Top - End - #938

But neither of those comics had direct orders. In the first she is asking them to sit down and have tea, not telling them. And in the second all she is yelling out is no. Thats not a command. Perhaps if she had yelled out STOOOOOP! That would have counted.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

9. - Top - End - #939
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    But neither of those comics had direct orders. In the first she is asking them to sit down and have tea, not telling them. And in the second all she is yelling out is no. Thats not a command. Perhaps if she had yelled out STOOOOOP! That would have counted.
    Agreed on the first one. That's why it had the qualifier as "easily construed as not an order." You may be right on the second one, but it depends how the wasp takes cues from what the host hears, and how literal it is. If I were the Other I would like to think that "NO!" counts as a perfectly reasonable "Stop what you're doing!" command, if only for the extra amount of control on an infected spark. Besides, when I linked Selnikov's opinion, he was telling it to Boris, who seems to think that "NO!" was an order, and that Gil resisted it.
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

10. - Top - End - #940
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Considering that when Agatha (unknowingly) asked a wasped researcher if he didn't have anything better to do and that researcher went and activated the Hive Engine, Agatha saying "NOOOO" would certainly be considered an order.

http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20040310

11. - Top - End - #941
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Considering that when Agatha (unknowingly) asked a wasped researcher if he didn't have anything better to do and that researcher went and activated the Hive Engine, Agatha saying "NOOOO" would certainly be considered an order.

http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20040310
    To be fair, she also told him to go do it, and apparently her ability to channel her mother's command wave works best when she's all worked up.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

12. - Top - End - #942
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

True, but Agatha never gave him an order on what to do. He decided by himself what to do. Wapsed people are utter slaves and have total loyalty (except of the Baron, but he is a special case) to Lu. But they still have thier own minds and make their own decisions. Meaning they can and will extrapolate on what they think they should do in a given situation and act in accordance with what they think they should do.

13. - Top - End - #943
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

True, but Agatha never gave him an order on what to do. He decided by himself what to do. Wapsed people are utter slaves and have total loyalty (except of the Baron, but he is a special case) to Lu. But they still have thier own minds and make their own decisions. Meaning they can and will extrapolate on what they think they should do in a given situation and act in accordance with what they think they should do.
    Is it clear if the Baron is a special case, or is it that sparks are the special case (Academic at this point, since Klaus is the only wasped spark, but I think you get the point). The latter seems more likely to me, frankly.

14. - Top - End - #944

But in that comic she gave him a direct, if nonspecific, order. Thats way different from those first two comics. She wasnt even talking sparky, let alone trying to order gil to do something.

15. - Top - End - #945
    Firbolg in the Playground

Would "Now send me home!" count as a direct order? Even if it doesn't have the sparky tone?
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

16. - Top - End - #946
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by memnarch View Post
    Would "Now send me home!" count as a direct order? Even if it doesn't have the sparky tone?
    Possibly, as I recall the "rules" for sparky tone and such weren't entirely set in stone at that point.

17. - Top - End - #947
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Is this Chekhov's castle recharger here?

http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20040517

18. - Top - End - #948
    Troll in the Playground

But in that comic she gave him a direct, if nonspecific, order. Thats way different from those first two comics. She wasnt even talking sparky, let alone trying to order gil to do something.
    Talking sparky is not a requirement. Lucrezia was giving Klaus orders in a calm voice.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

19. - Top - End - #949
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    Is it clear if the Baron is a special case, or is it that sparks are the special case (Academic at this point, since Klaus is the only wasped spark, but I think you get the point). The latter seems more likely to me, frankly.
    No. Klaus is clearly not in line with other wapsed individuals we have seen. Those people are loyal to Lucrezia, follow her orders and basically worship her. But with the Baron, he has to follow her orders but is NOT loyal to her in any way. He actually got a message out warning Gil that he had been wapsed. No normal Renevent woud have even wanted to do such a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Analysis View Post

That is an early version of Gil's lighting stick. So yes and no.

20. - Top - End - #950
    Troll in the Playground

No. Klaus is clearly not in line with other wapsed individuals we have seen. Those people are loyal to Lucrezia, follow her orders and basically worship her. But with the Baron, he has to follow her orders but is NOT loyal to her in any way. He actually got a message out warning Gil that he had been wapsed. No normal Renevent woud have even wanted to do such a thing.
    Enforced loyalty isn't exactly loyalty, and outside of the geisters, worship doesn't really seem to be a thing. The one revenant we really get a look at doesn't sound like he's particularly eager about the whole thing.

On the whole Gil thing, unless sparks as a rule are more able to slip the leash, he gets a direct order here and doesn't go through with it.
    Last edited by NEO|Phyte; 2012-10-21 at 02:21 PM.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

21. - Top - End - #951
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NEO|Phyte View Post
    On the whole Gil thing, unless sparks as a rule are more able to slip the leash, he gets a direct order here and doesn't go through with it.
    That's the lynchpin. If Gil can remember that he's got airtight proof that he's not wasped. The problem of course is a) whether he can remember it and b) an outside source. Which we have - Punch and Judy, both of whom were there to hear Agatha give the order, or at least close enough to knock out Gil when he started to get ugly.

22. - Top - End - #952
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Yes... But, we haven't seen another spark get wasped. I'm not talking about normal revenants (Although they seem to display more independence than you give them credit for), I'm saying maybe it's not so much a "Klaus" thing as it is a "spark" thing. Academic at the moment, but it might be important later on if Lucrezia is able to reproduce the spark wasps.

23. - Top - End - #953

Quote Originally Posted by Analysis View Post

Nope, its the dimensional time travel whosiwhatsit that showed dupre those visions back at the start of the comic. If you read on you notice that whoever is using the device keeps vanishing and reappearing. The other guys watching froms afety mention them vanishing and popping back up, and agatha notices it when gil is the only one holding the device. Its a chekovs, just for a different plot twist than recharging the castle, imo.

24. - Top - End - #954
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGuy

Aw hell! Here comes Mr. Tock! And Agatha is now VERY late for class...

25. - Top - End - #955
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Instanbul... Typo? Or Spark-induced spelling change?

26. - Top - End - #956
    Bugbear in the Playground

Am I the only one missing an elegant and finely crafted link here?
    Guess what spell I cast before posting this message.

27. - Top - End - #957
    Titan in the Playground

Nope, its the dimensional time travel whosiwhatsit that showed dupre those visions back at the start of the comic. If you read on you notice that whoever is using the device keeps vanishing and reappearing. The other guys watching froms afety mention them vanishing and popping back up, and agatha notices it when gil is the only one holding the device. Its a chekovs, just for a different plot twist than recharging the castle, imo.
    Oh, that's what that is? From the first time we see it activating, I thought it was a barrier, and the glare on the windows was why they "disappeared"
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

28. - Top - End - #958
    Firbolg in the Playground

While it might fire again, I think that Chekov's gun has already gone off.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

29. - Top - End - #959
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Oh, that's what that is? From the first time we see it activating, I thought it was a barrier, and the glare on the windows was why they "disappeared"
    No, it is not. Not without heavy retooling. The bubble that makes them pop out of sight does not take them anywhere, since they can still see around them. It only confers invisibility. The time windows we see at the start of the comic seem controlled by a heavy duty keyboard, and in those moments the characters are fully aware that they are looking into other times (indeed, they use it to track VonZinzer's relatives).

Could they be the same device? In a mad science comic, sure. But so could be said of one of the forks shot at Agatha in the Castle's kitchen. The device, as presented, is only a source of electricity and invisibility.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

30. - Top - End - #960
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Yeah, it's an invisibility device. Theo uses it later to dissapear Gil from the streets of Mechanisburg. It just ALSO had a power source, which Agatha hijacked to recharge the lightning generator, like hooking up a flashlight to a car battery.

Also, apparently the Wulfenbach Empire extends as far south as Istanbul, or at least close enough that he wants to position troops near there.

Although they are clearly getting at somthing. Why would Klaus call all his troops to Mechanisburg, at a time when the Empire is especially unstable. I see three possibilities, either lucrezia ordered him to use excessive force, he is using excessive force because he MUST try his utmost to carry out Lucrezia's orders regardless of other consequences (Lucrezia says to storm Mechanisburg, he must do everything in his power to make sure that is successful), or Three, this is somehow another manifestation of his subtle self-sabotage. Somehow, stealthily deploying all his troops and waiting until the Knights of Jove showed their hand will hinder Lucrezia's schemes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]