New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: The All Guardsmen Party

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Are you allowed to say who you were playing in this thread? I'm very curious.
    Well spoiler tags exist for a reason

Spoiler: VERY SECRET THINGIES
    Show
    I play Nubby (also Crisp)

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shoggy View Post
    Well spoiler tags exist for a reason

Spoiler: VERY SECRET THINGIES
    Show
    I play Nubby (also Crisp)
    Spoiler: EVEN MORE SECRET THINGIES
    Show
    I KNEW IT, nubby is probably tied with twitch for my favorite atm
    Quote Originally Posted by bekeleven View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousPepper View Post
    Easy. Be a Planar Shepherd.
    I, too, destroy beehives with nuclear weapons.
    Proponent of Rudisplorkery in the Rudisplorker Guild

Avatar by the ever so generous Grinner

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

Spoiler: Secret Stuff of Secretness +1
    Show

My Favorite other than Twitch, you have put together one hell of a cool character right there. Awesome combination of DM and players, that has been quite fun to read.
    My opinion and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee at the 7/11, most others want the dollar too :P

Steam ID: blacklight101

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?
    At an observation deck at Port Wander, seeing his ship for the first time and being introduced to the bridge crew/away team that he hired before arriving.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

A tip of the helmet to you for this amazing story. I really appreciate the energy you have put into writing it all, it is truly epic. For the last couple of days I have chosen to read this, over published books.

Several times I thought to myself, this is insane; and shortly after it would just get crazier.
    Of cause, inspired by your story I am now itching for grim dark.
    Last edited by Incorrect; 2014-12-12 at 07:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Incorrect View Post
    If you consider the RP aspect, you might want to consider alternatives to Tortle Str Ranger.
    I mean, why would the rest of the party trust this Tortal StRanger...

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well it's always nice to know you're appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Incorrect View Post
    A tip of the helmet to you for this amazing story. I really appreciate the energy you have put into writing it all, it is truly epic. For the last couple of days I have chosen to read this, over published books.

Several times I thought to myself, this is insane; and shortly after it would just get crazier.
    Of cause, inspired by your story I am now itching for grim dark.
    You know, I always felt we wound up rather short on the grimdark. It's been a surprisingly light-hearted campaign given the setting. We actually had some much, much darker campaigns back in D&D.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Barbarian in the Playground

so when do you think we are gonna get more stories
    Quote Originally Posted by bekeleven View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousPepper View Post
    Easy. Be a Planar Shepherd.
    I, too, destroy beehives with nuclear weapons.
    Proponent of Rudisplorkery in the Rudisplorker Guild

Avatar by the ever so generous Grinner

7. - Top - End - #37

Zombie

For being as light-hearted as it has been, I thought it captured the grimdark pretty well. Now im just waiting on further adventures of the AGP. I put down the novel I was reading for two days, my wife can attest thats not normal, just to keep reading this.
    My opinion and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee at the 7/11, most others want the dollar too :P

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

At an observation deck at Port Wander, seeing his ship for the first time and being introduced to the bridge crew/away team that he hired before arriving.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hazrond View Post
    so when do you think we are gonna get more stories
    Not until the new year, I'll be back in a stable location with a fair amount of free time after the 4th. I'm trying to squeeze in what I can between doing stuff with the folks, but I'm not a fast writer.

Quote Originally Posted by blacklight101 View Post
    For being as light-hearted as it has been, I thought it captured the grimdark pretty well. Now im just waiting on further adventures of the AGP. I put down the novel I was reading for two days, my wife can attest thats not normal, just to keep reading this.
    For now the only thing I have left is our old D&D Stories:

(first one is long and poorish quality, sorry, non image version below these)
    (also these were my first foray into writing, quality may be rather low)

{Scrubbed}

That last one was the standard I set for Grimdark in our DM's games by the way.
    Last edited by Chambers; 2014-12-15 at 09:36 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Just dropped in to say:
    Ultra-great stuff, really... frakking... awesome.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

I have LOVED reading these stories. I am just sad I have to wait for more, lol. I don't know if you have ever read the Ciaphas Cain novels, but you have captured their spirit hands down. You have shown just enough of the grimdark and overall crappiness of living in the 41st millenium to make the point, but you have managed to convey the characters' reactions and thoughts to show the dark, comical absurdity of the setting. I love my RP group, but I envy you for yours.

11. - Top - End - #41

Zombie

Really cool D&D stories too, I have to agree with Rainman too, I love my RP group, But I envy you for yours.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Just wanted to pop in and say thanks for the good read. It took me a couple of days to get caught up on all the shananigans, but it was totally worth it. Looking forward to new entries whenever they get posted. (also subscribing to thread).

13. - Top - End - #43
    Banned

The Shane and Tommy stories are extra awesome.

Mr. Tulip was... bleh. If you're going to rip off an established character, you need to emphasize the differences between him and the source material, or at least make it interesting, instead of just regurgitating how he's adapated to an RPG. Nubby was fun to read about because, well... while he's Nobby Nobs, there isn't a single Discworld book I'm aware of where he tried buying Anhk-Morpork an interstellar starship that tried to kill the entire Watch.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum View Post
    Just dropped in to say:
    Ultra-great stuff, really... frakking... awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by blacklight101 View Post
    Really cool D&D stories too, I have to agree with Rainman too, I love my RP group, But I envy you for yours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Manatee View Post
    Just wanted to pop in and say thanks for the good read. It took me a couple of days to get caught up on all the shananigans, but it was totally worth it. Looking forward to new entries whenever they get posted. (also subscribing to thread).
    Thanks a lot guys, glad you folks are enjoying them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman3769 View Post
    I don't know if you have ever read the Ciaphas Cain novels, but you have captured their spirit hands down.
    The Cain novels were definitely a major inspiration for all of the group, as well as the stories themselves. I generally put those books down as the most accessible piece of 40k writing out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    The Shane and Tommy stories are extra awesome.

Mr. Tulip was... bleh.
    Yea, just how it works out sometimes.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Banned

Yea, just how it works out sometimes.
    I actually believe it was a matter of presentation. Actual stories of Mr. Lily in the campaign would have been more fun to read than just re-hashing "Hey, it's Mr. Tulip!" (The only difference being Mr. Tulip self-censors himself)

And I also got a strong Ciaphas Cain feel... at least from Sarge.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    And I also got a strong Ciaphas Cain feel... at least from Sarge.
    I think that's just a result of playing straight man and the general paranoia any veteran guardsman not from Krieg develops*.

*Technically, the Death Korps also expects the worst, it's just a that when "Become a martyr" is your life goal, you don't care as much.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

17. - Top - End - #47
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    I think that's just a result of playing straight man and the general paranoia any veteran guardsman not from Krieg develops*.
    I was more thinking the whole "Downplaying just how much individual initiative and leadership he takes" aspects - he says "All they did was follow orders!", and yet... every one of their missions had him take command of the situation and going out of line to save the day.
    Last edited by Sartharina; 2014-12-14 at 12:22 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Very very good. Great story. Since you asked for literary criticism I noticed one thing that's been niggling at me the whole time I was reading it. You use the term 'we' when speaking about the entire party, indicating that the narrator is part of the party, but then at no point do you indicate that it's from any particular character's point of view or that any particular character is the narrator. Every character is referred to as they, which grammatically indicates, at least to me, that there's a sixth member of the party and they do absolutely nothing except things that the entire squad does. They have no name, they do nothing interesting, all they do is stand there and whatever the entire party as a group is doing, they do that. Obviously that's not true, but it's how it comes off.

Other than that, very very cool story. I've never liked 40K, always been a fantasy guy myself, but damn that makes me want to go pick up a 40K army of imperial guard and learn to play it.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Read all of it today, and just wanted to say it was FANTASTIC. Thank you sooo much for taking the time to write this!

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheOneHawk View Post
    Very very good. Great story. Since you asked for literary criticism I noticed one thing that's been niggling at me the whole time I was reading it. You use the term 'we' when speaking about the entire party, indicating that the narrator is part of the party, but then at no point do you indicate that it's from any particular character's point of view or that any particular character is the narrator. Every character is referred to as they, which grammatically indicates, at least to me, that there's a sixth member of the party and they do absolutely nothing except things that the entire squad does. They have no name, they do nothing interesting, all they do is stand there and whatever the entire party as a group is doing, they do that. Obviously that's not true, but it's how it comes off.

Other than that, very very cool story. I've never liked 40K, always been a fantasy guy myself, but damn that makes me want to go pick up a 40K army of imperial guard and learn to play it.
    Yea the perspective is all mucked up due to it's origin as a player-perspective story. To me it feels like I'm too deep into the story to mess around whole layout (also I still can't be sure who's going to survive to the end) so I'm not really inclined to change things at this point. If I ever try to make something professional of this I'm going to choose a guardsman or switch to third person and work this whole thing over from beginning to end though.

Anyhow if you like the stories but aren't super into the grimdark of the setting I'd recommend the Caiaphas Cain books, they're the tone I was aiming for when I started writing these.

Quote Originally Posted by Caimheul View Post
    Read all of it today, and just wanted to say it was FANTASTIC. Thank you sooo much for taking the time to write this!
    Thanks a lot, I'm a slow writer and it takes me a while to make these, but it really makes it worth it to know that people are enjoying the stories.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Yea the perspective is all mucked up due to it's origin as a player-perspective story. To me it feels like I'm too deep into the story to mess around whole layout (also I still can't be sure who's going to survive to the end) so I'm not really inclined to change things at this point. If I ever try to make something professional of this I'm going to choose a guardsman or switch to third person and work this whole thing over from beginning to end though.

Anyhow if you like the stories but aren't super into the grimdark of the setting I'd recommend the Caiaphas Cain books, they're the tone I was aiming for when I started writing these.
    I think you did a good job of getting a similar tone to the Cain books. In a similar vein, it probably wouldn't be too far fetched to treat these as a sort of compilation of the after action reports and thoughts of the various troopers in the cell accumulated by Oak during their service under him.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I have no problem with the grimdark of the setting, I've just always preferred fantasy to futuristic for my fiction. I've liked the IG ever since I read a Gaunt's Ghosts novel but I have a lot invested into a Fantasy army and honestly I don't have time to play even that right now, and none of my friends that do roleplaying games know anything about warhammer.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, these tales have certainly warmed the cockles of an old heretic's heart. Eager to see more come the New Year and to see the death toll of these Imperial lapdogs keep climbing.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Halfling in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Nice story so far. I agree with the others that you do indeed seem to be channeling a bit of Cain here. Makes for a fun read while staying true to the setting.

Kind of funny that the only half-way decent guy Oak sent you with was the Rupert. The rest were awful at their job. It was like watching them all somehow lose to Brock with their starter. That is quite sad since even Charmander (the one very a major type weakness) had a very good chance of sweeping him. Make me feel like you guys got dumped with all the losers.

By the time I got to the later stories I was always waiting for something to go wrong. That feeling made thing feel a bit silly when they always happened. Sure minor issues would make sense, but sometimes it seems like your party should not be that insanely unlucky. I guess it's an issue with there needing to always be a certain level of action for the players. As a reader I can get by with much longer periods of everything not going to the warp.

As far as POV goes, I find it work for what it is right now. It's the story of a player sharing his game with others, and trying not to have the whole thing foucs on the guy he's playing. Nothing wrong with it for now. If you want to polish it up I would go with a thrid person view. First person would have the issue of having to deal with you having to switch views due to things like deaths.

In the future I hope you get to see some more of the 40K-verse you bring back some good stories (and hopely you don't have too many deaths).

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

I am having trouble with the HTML version, it keeps scrolling up in my browser, the latest version of Firefox on Linux Ubuntu. Could you link, in a PM if anything, to the 4chan version? Much obliged.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2014-12-20 at 08:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

All right, thanks. :)
    EDIT:
    Spoiler
    Show
    No, NOT CUTTER?!
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2014-12-21 at 01:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

New chapter up, external links because sometimes there's naughty words involved:

Screencap version:
    http://imgur.com/a/URsER

HTML version:
    https://googledrive.com/host/0B3Z9sX...dFWXM/agp.html

29. - Top - End - #59

WolfInSheepsClothing

Shoggy, could you PM me the other stories that got scrubbed earlier? Or email, or reddit, whatever.

I would second that I think your stuff is on a level with the Silverclawshift stuff. I'd be happy to read it published, though it'd definitely need some heavy editing for the transition. Not so much in quality, but just that stuff like this has a different tone, style, and expectations then stuff in a book. How long is each one anyway? My sense is actual text is short story-ish, but you could pretty easily get that up to short novel with you adding a lot more description and detail to where you are and what you're doing.

I think that's the big difference actually. In someone's RPG logs no one cares about detail past "prison cell" or "hosed with lasgun fire" where in a novel you'd need more. It'd also pad it out nicely. Characters would likely need more characterization in a book, just due to more talky bits and people being less accepting of blatant stereotypes.

The overall writing is pretty fantastic and engaging. I'd keep it basically as is for the online stuff.

I know what you mean about people reading and playing off each other. I've done it with improv groups who've been together for a while. Sure, you don't technically know what they'll do once they're on stage, but you can guess pretty well off a few words what their basic character is and where they want this to go. Then you mash ideas into each other and hope for hilarity.
    Fallen London: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Acliabides

Quote Originally Posted by Fibinachi View Post
    Raxtel would like to quick-draw his grapnel and line gun and try to reel in Sarge like some particularly authoritive fish before we lose him in the middle of the rebel infested, colder-than-space tundra.
    Only War Jungle of Sin: Darrien Holt

30. - Top - End - #60
    Dwarf in the Playground

This post has all the other image links: http://www.reddit.com/r/HFY/comments...ardsman_party/

That said, is the HTML version working for people? It's sort of weird how I bent google docs into hosting it and I'm curious if it loads the images correctly.

Anyway yea, these were never intended to grow so big. The tone/perspective/whatever were aimed at something around 10-20 posts long and more in the vein of a player story than anything. Since then it's gotten a tad out of hand size wise, while not really changing much in the writing department.

The last chapter was 61 posts long.

And the whole thing is 371 long (10+19+31+36+44+56+52+62+61)

I've just edged out the third bloody Harry Potter book (107,253 words) and I'm heading for the fourth...

Really it's been a weird experience, this is more or less my first foray into writing anything, I've never had any real education on the subject. Someday it might be nice to try for the real thing, but copyright shenanigans mean I'd have to chuck all this stuff out and start fresh. So it's an odd sort of place to be to say the least, too involved to stop, to esoteric to get published (or even properly edited), it's pretty much destined to stay a web series.

Anyhow, glad you like it and thanks for the input.