New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: What's your favorite science fiction device (that isn't a weapon)?

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Yeah, but it also explicitly is magic.

Magic through the lens of scientific study and application, but still magic. Magic which can choose to stop working because it, as a person, does not feel like playing nice with human beings demystifying it.
    Yeah. Example: Star Wars, though seen as science fiction, is definitely fantasy. Before any of you say anything, I have two words to say to you: Space Wizards. You can call them Jedi and Sith, but that doesn't change that they are Space Wizards.
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    the biggest nerd ever who transforms into BEAR is of course alluring.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

But do lightsabers count as an SF device?

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celticbear View Post
    Fellas, fellas you are all missing the greatest invention in the history of science fiction.

Spoiler: Boom
    Show
    Umm, no. I didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Lentrax View Post
    Cyberdecks.

A Quantum Harmonizer. (Not sure what it does, but man does it do awesome stuff when you stick it in someone's Photonic Resonance Chamber)

An Electronic Thumb

A Voight-kampff machine.

Whatever tech it took to be able to have streetdocs able to perform perfect plastic surgery in one hour or less.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
    But do lightsabers count as an SF device?
    I count any plot based on technology we do not have available as science fiction.

So Star Wars is sci-fi-fantasy. Both. Not mutually exclusive.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2017-08-08 at 09:51 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    So Star Wars is sci-fi/fantasy. Both. Not mutually exclusive.
    Nomenclature quibble: the forward slash makes them look like they are exclusive (because that's how libraries tag them, suggesting they are separate but shelved together). Maybe use dashes only? As in, sci-fi-fantasy? Or sci-fantasy? Abbreviated to sci-fan?

Which does bring to mind a question I've had: are there any stories that essentially take a "classic" fantasy world with wizards and examines how they'd work in a post-industrial setting? I can only think off the top of my head of 40k, which is unrelentingly bleak and doesn't really examine the societies beyond "everything is crumbling, all the time".

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

6. - Top - End - #66

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Nomenclature quibble: the forward slash makes them look like they are exclusive (because that's how libraries tag them, suggesting they are separate but shelved together). Maybe use dashes only? As in, sci-fi-fantasy? Or sci-fantasy? Abbreviated to sci-fan?
    I don't know what you're talking about
    Which does bring to mind a question I've had: are there any stories that essentially take a "classic" fantasy world with wizards and examines how they'd work in a post-industrial setting? I can only think off the top of my head of 40k, which is unrelentingly bleak and doesn't really examine the societies beyond "everything is crumbling, all the time".

Grey Wolf
    I've not read them, but isn't the Dresden files along these lines? Or Harry Potter?
    Last edited by Peelee; 2017-08-08 at 09:53 AM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

I've not read them, but isn't the Dresden files along these lines? Or Harry Potter?
    I haven't read the Dresden files far enough to know, but HP is definitely not what I'm looking for: the masquerade means that the wizarding world is separate from the post-industrial world, and also stuck in Victorian-age-like stasis. I'm more looking for a world where magic and elves and such exist, but isn't stuck in medieval stasis but instead has progressed to "modern" times, or even full-blown space-age magitech.

I suppose cyberpunk might work (especially setting were elves and dwarves are around), but as with 40k, I'd prefer a setting that isn't going to depress me as much as reading the news.

ETA: I suppose the Legend of Korra counts, and I did enjoy it quite a bit.

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2017-08-08 at 10:02 AM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

8. - Top - End - #68
    Firbolg in the Playground

I haven't read the Dresden files far enough to know, but HP is definitely not what I'm looking for: the masquerade means that the wizarding world is separate from the post-industrial world, and also stuck in Victorian-age-like stasis. I'm more looking for a world where magic and elves and such exist, but isn't stuck in medieval stasis but instead has progressed to "modern" times, or even full-blown space-age magitech.
    I'd recommend the Incarnations of Immortality series by Piers Anthony

EDIT:
    Oh, and Discworld by Sir Terry Pratchett sort of does this too. As the series goes on the setting progresses from a late medieval/early renaissance setting into the early industrial revolution
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2017-08-10 at 03:41 PM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

I suppose cyberpunk might work (especially setting were elves and dwarves are around), but as with 40k, I'd prefer a setting that isn't going to depress me as much as reading the news.

GW
    There's technically the various world of Darkness settings, which you can mix and match. Sure, most of the beings either don't interact with humanity all that often, or are actively avoiding them, but there's mages, fey. demons, all that stuff. Also, since you mentioned cyberpunk, there's obviously Shadowrun.
    Si non confectus, non reficiat.

The beautiful girl is courtesy of Serpentine
    My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GolemsVoice View Post
    There's technically the various world of Darkness settings, which you can mix and match. Sure, most of the beings either don't interact with humanity all that often, or are actively avoiding them, but there's mages, fey. demons, all that stuff. Also, since you mentioned cyberpunk, there's obviously Shadowrun.
    Yes, but as I said, if I want to read about a depressing world that seems to be going from bad to worse, I read a newspaper. I don't need a fictional book for that right now.

Less cynically, I've read Gibson and even a bit of Shadowrun and 40k, and I find them too bleak. It'd be nice to see a world that, having magic, has progressed beyond castles and knights, and is NOT heading for eternal darkness regardless of what anyone does.

Let me put it another way: I enjoy steampunk. I'd like something like steampunk, but past Victorian age and it need not depend on the constraint of steam (which, after all, is just magic by another name in steampunk).

GW

11. - Top - End - #71
    Bugbear in the Playground

Let me put it another way: I enjoy steampunk. I'd like something like steampunk, but past Victorian age and it need not depend on the constraint of steam (which, after all, is just magic by another name in steampunk).

GW
    When you put it like that, The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson fits pretty well. A lot of it is basically steampunk, but with nanotech instead of steam.
    Vitruvian Stickman avatar by linklele.
    I have an extended signature now. God knows why.
    Spoiler: shameless self-aggrandizing
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    What this guy said.

12. - Top - End - #72

Quote Originally Posted by Celticbear View Post
    Yeah. Example: Star Wars, though seen as science fiction, is definitely fantasy. Before any of you say anything, I have two words to say to you: Space Wizards. You can call them Jedi and Sith, but that doesn't change that they are Space Wizards.
    Star Trek too. I don't know why everyone always calls out Star Wars on this but never Star Trek. In terms of the sheer number of characters with magic powers (not counting in novels) I think Star Trek has got Star Wars beat. You can't throw a stone in Star Trek without hitting some kind of telepath or shape shifter
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

13. - Top - End - #73

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    Star Trek too. I don't know why everyone always calls out Star Wars on this but never Star Trek. In terms of the sheer number of characters with magic powers (not counting in novels) I think Star Trek has got Star Wars beat. You can't throw a stone in Star Trek without hitting some kind of telepath or shape shifter
    Or the number of aliens that are about as alien as D&D races? For that matter, has Star Trek ever introduced the idea of a progenitor race that seeded the galaxy? Because that could resolve a lot of that issue, and add a nice mysterious history that could also exacerbate relations with some of the species.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Pixie in the Playground

There is nothing like this.

15. - Top - End - #75

GW
    I recommend Star Trek and Ghostbusters (that's Harold Ramis Ghostbusters btw, not the unrelated Funamation series or Paul Feig movie)

Omegaupdate Forum

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Or the number of aliens that are about as alien as D&D races? For that matter, has Star Trek ever introduced the idea of a progenitor race that seeded the galaxy? Because that could resolve a lot of that issue, and add a nice mysterious history that could also exacerbate relations with some of the species.
    Yes, they have. Guess what they called them: http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Progenitors

17. - Top - End - #77
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by paddyfool View Post
    Yes, they have. Guess what they called them: http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Progenitors
    It's better than Halo, which has the Forerunners and the Precursors. Which, despite having played Halo literally as long as I can remember, I had no idea were separate races until last month.
    Vitruvian Stickman avatar by linklele.
    I have an extended signature now. God knows why.
    Spoiler: shameless self-aggrandizing
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    What this guy said.

18. - Top - End - #78

Does [i]Star Trek[i/'s neural neutralizer count as a weapon?

What about HHGttG's Total Perspective Vortex?

Omegaupdate Forum

19. - Top - End - #79
    Pixie in the Playground

The Spice Melange, commonly referred to simply as 'the spice' grants imortality, expanded sensory perceptions and heavy doses led to powerful abilities that include prescience.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    Does [i]Star Trek[i/'s neural neutralizer count as a weapon?

What about HHGttG's Total Perspective Vortex?
    To quote Maxim 24, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a big gun."
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

21. - Top - End - #81

Yes, but as I said, if I want to read about a depressing world that seems to be going from bad to worse, I read a newspaper. I don't need a fictional book for that right now.

Less cynically, I've read Gibson and even a bit of Shadowrun and 40k, and I find them too bleak. It'd be nice to see a world that, having magic, has progressed beyond castles and knights, and is NOT heading for eternal darkness regardless of what anyone does.
    Try the Incarnations of Immortality series by Piers Anthony

Omegaupdate Forum

22. - Top - End - #82
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Star Trek replicator, end of scarcity and capitalism.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spanish_Paladin View Post
    Star Trek replicator, end of scarcity and capitalism.
    Assuming you have the energy to run it, of course.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Of course, i take for granted the whole scenario that makes replicators viable

25. - Top - End - #85

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Just grab a Mr. Fusion. Which I maintain is the best joke that BttF had, and is woefully underappreciated.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

This isn't particularly spectacular, but as I was re-watching 2001: A Space Odyssey recently I noticed that just about every machine or appliance in the movie had some brand name attached to it. I liked the touch of realism it brought to the world and really shows how much work went into that movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Why be Evil when you can be Lawful?

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

The omni-tool from Mass Effect is way up there. It's a computer and a mini-fabricator with a sweet holographic interface that shows up on your arm. (It gets turned into a weapon in the 3rd game, but forget those versions.)
    My pronouns are they/them.

Avatar courtesy of Elagune's OotS manga reinterpretation!

28. - Top - End - #88

Grey Wolf
    Check Bartimaeus Trilogy. It's basically wizardpunk, with british empire grows on the strength of magic instead of steam, and magic works around summoning (for example, a magical grenade is a sphere of glass with low level spirits trapped inside it). It follows the growth and changes of a young magician, from his start as a harry-poterish child wizard, then as a young adult working in the british government, then as an actual adult at the last book, and his partner, a mid-level snarky spirit who act as second protagonist and narrator.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

29. - Top - End - #89

I'm also partial to The Doctor's magic wand technobabble wand sonic screwdriver

Omegaupdate Forum

30. - Top - End - #90
    Pixie in the Playground

Solid ligth.There so much we could do with that!
    Despite my avatar I'm not a fan of anime