New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Is there an unoficial 2e warlock class out there?

I'm talking about a convertion, preferably from either the 3.5e or 5e Warlock to 2e. I'm looking for something balanced and preferably on the weaker than stronger end of the stick, if I'd have to choose. Obviously, only if this is in accordance with oppen game contnent, as I do not wish to violate those terms by asking this.

We're going to play a 2e Dark Sun campain, and I'm going to be a Templar. Since Warlock is my favorite class, I managed to convince my DM to either homebrew a convertion of it with me for 2e or find one online, since it is fitting for this class. So, to make this easyer, does something like this exist already? Thank you in advance!
    Last edited by Asmotherion; 2017-11-11 at 12:20 PM.

Please visit and review my System.
    Generalist Sorcerer

2. - Top - End - #2
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Is there an unoficial 2e warlock class out there?

I suspect you will have to homebrew. 2e, especially in a Dark Sun campaign, is going to feature limited resource and resource management - the 'can blast all day' ethos that defines the Warlock in 3.x, and replicated in 5e via the short-rest replenishment of spells, run in direct opposition to those themes. Not at all saying you can't do it, just that it is highly unlikely anyone else has tried to do it already.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quick and dirty:

Wizard THACO, Saves, XP, d4 HD.

Innate magical attack that does 1d4+1 damage to a single target within 100 feet.

At 1st level, choose 1 1st level spell can be used as an atwill power.

At 3rd level, choose another 1st level spell.

At 5th, choose a 2nd level spell

At 7th, choose another 2nd level spell.

At 9th, choose a 3rd level spell

11th, another 3rd level spell.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

There's a Witch/Warlock kit in 2E, in the Complete Wizard's Handbook. I don't know how similar it is to the 3E or 5E Warlock, though. The basic premise is you are a mage who acquired magic by making a pact with an extraplanar being, rather than learning the traditional way.

5. - Top - End - #5

It is not similar... it is essentially a wizard with some bonus powers.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Thank you all for your replies. I think I'll go with your approach Mark Hall, it's the most similar to what we're trying to build. Perhaps multiclass it a bit with fighter levels, because he's a Templar? I'm not sure how multiclassing works in 2e though, I'm a complete amature to this system XD.
    Last edited by Asmotherion; 2017-11-12 at 02:31 PM.

Please visit and review my System.
    Generalist Sorcerer

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

You might also want to take a look at the Ghul Lord kit from the Complete Sha'ir's Handbook. It combines a very limited spell list with the ability to manipulate energy from the Negative Energy Plane to create bespoke attack, defence, movement, or information gathering effects. It comes with some hefty drawbacks, but if those are too much for your taste, you might speak to your DM about softening or altering them to something more appropriate for the concept you have in mind.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Asmotherion View Post
    Thank you all for your replies. I think I'll go with your approach Mark Hall, it's the most similar to what we're trying to build. Perhaps multiclass it a bit with fighter levels, because he's a Templar? I'm not sure how multiclassing works in 2e though, I'm a complete amature to this system XD.
    Multiclassing in 2e is like Gestalt in 3e, but adding a LA of +1 or +2 (if you have more than one class).

If you're a Fighter/Warlock, you'll get an average of your HP over time. At level 1, you'll get ((1d10/2)+(1d4/2))+Con modifier. When you hit 2000 XP, you'll get (1d10/2)+(Con modifier/2) more HP, and get (1d4/2)+(Con Modifier/2) at 2500 when you go up a level as magic-user. Since your XP is evenly divided between Fighter and Mage, you'll go up a bit slower than single-classed characters (when you mage side has 2500 XP and can advance to level 2, the single-classed mage in the group will have 5000xp and be advancing to level 3).

If you're wanting a more martial class than what I laid out? Improvise a bit. Say, use the Cleric advancement table, convert your "1d4+1 ranged attack" into a "+1d4+1 magic damage on melee attacks", and give yourself a single incantation at 2nd, 6th, 10th (max level 2), 14th, etc.
    The Cranky Gamer

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by rax View Post
    You might also want to take a look at the Ghul Lord kit from the Complete Sha'ir's Handbook. It combines a very limited spell list with the ability to manipulate energy from the Negative Energy Plane to create bespoke attack, defence, movement, or information gathering effects. It comes with some hefty drawbacks, but if those are too much for your taste, you might speak to your DM about softening or altering them to something more appropriate for the concept you have in mind.
    The ghul lord has more in common with 3ED's dread necromancer, but...a flavor refluff and a bit of mechanical tinkering would match the warlock OK.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Quick and dirty:

Wizard THACO, Saves, XP, d4 HD.

Innate magical attack that does 1d4+1 damage to a single target within 100 feet.

At 1st level, choose 1 1st level spell can be used as an atwill power.

At 3rd level, choose another 1st level spell.

At 5th, choose a 2nd level spell

At 7th, choose another 2nd level spell.

At 9th, choose a 3rd level spell

11th, another 3rd level spell.
    This, but to keep in tune with Dark Sun's essential themes about scarcity and magic, I'd add:

The spells aren't at-will; instead they're powered by your at-will attack (which is actually sort of a life-drain.) Each time you hit a living creature with your at-will power you add a point to a bank of energy that can hold at most [your level] points. Each time you use one of your spells you burn [spell level] points from the bank.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Lapak View Post
    This, but to keep in tune with Dark Sun's essential themes about scarcity and magic, I'd add:

The spells aren't at-will; instead they're powered by your at-will attack (which is actually sort of a life-drain.) Each time you hit a living creature with your at-will power you add a point to a bank of energy that can hold at most [your level] points. Each time you use one of your spells you burn [spell level] points from the bank.
    If he weren't a Templar, that'd make a neat mechanic. But as a Templar, I don't think it works as well.
    The Cranky Gamer

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    If he weren't a Templar, that'd make a neat mechanic. But as a Templar, I don't think it works as well.
    Somehow I missed that in the original post!

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Lapak View Post
    Somehow I missed that in the original post!
    So did I. ;-)
    The Cranky Gamer

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

That is funny in 4e they had the templar turned into a warlock pact so we have come full circle.
    A vestige for me "Pyro火gnus Friend of Meepo" by Zaydos.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...5&postcount=26

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by MeeposFire View Post
    That is funny in 4e they had the templar turned into a warlock pact so we have come full circle.
    It's the CIRCLE OF SUCK!
    AND IT RULES US ALL!

Spoiler
    Show
    TBH, I'm mostly messing around. While I don't like making 4e characters, it's a fun game that did exactly what it set out to do in many ways. Circle of Design just had too many syllables.

However, if you're going with a Warlock as your templar, are you going to keep the other Templar abilities? Accuse a noble and so on?
    The Cranky Gamer

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

There's Players Option: Spells and Magic where there is a spell casting variant as though Call of Cthulhu, making a pact with madness or corruption inducing deities. That with CH:Wizard or PO: Skills & Powers class creation, you should be able to whip up something comparative. :)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Something to keep in mind is that Templars are supposed to have clerical magic, not "wizardly" magic. However, if it's okay with you DM, go hog wild!
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season