New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 51 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion XII: One More and Get a Free Deathlord

Opening the Gateway of Truth
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Titan in the Playground

I THINK the phrase was used in the series too, but yes. xD
    (And tbh, Data is a terrible example since he's becoming less robotic, but I like the line. xD)
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Titan in the Playground

Escaping the Circuit Rampancy (cookie for reference)
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ettin in the Playground

Marathon, mayhaps?

And Durandal is telling me that he'll take the cookie; should I be worried?
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

5. - Top - End - #395
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    Opening the Gateway of Truth
    Transcendent God-Devouring Technique
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    Marathon, mayhaps?

And Durandal is telling me that he'll take the cookie; should I be worried?
    Have the cookie. You and Durandal can work it out between you who gets the larger piece. If you die during negotiations, I will send your piece to your next of kin of course.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Dwarf in the Playground

I wonder how many times you'd need to kill Cecelyne's Fetich before you got The Endless Party.

Just, an infinitely large nightclub full of demons in various rapidly outdated faddish outfits, frequently spaced bars selling expensive, ill-advised cocktails and sourceless, rapidly strobing lights everywhere. You have to spend five days dancing to utterly terrible yet incredibly catchy pop, hip hop and techno music before you can enter or leave Malfeas.

Crank it up, don't stop!
    You can give it all you got!
    Let's rock! don't stop!
    At the top! Top! Top!
    Whoa-oh! Whoa-oh! Whoa-oh-oh-oh-oah!

Adorjan has never hated anyone more.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Ettin in the Playground

1. Develop new Cecelyne charms towards that end (I'm sure we can think of some way... maybe through the path of party music?)

2. Kill Fetich.

3. Be lucky.

4. ???

5. Profit!

Hell, you could probably do it through heretical charms, mixing up Malfeas and Cecelyne.
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

9. - Top - End - #399
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by omegalith View Post
    Adorjan has never hated anyone more.
    And Ligier has never been more embarrassed in his life.

The one you really feel sorry for is Malfeas, though. Biggest party in the world right next door, and he can't come.
    Last edited by The_Snark; 2012-11-11 at 06:12 PM.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ettin in the Playground

Damn it, if only I knew how to write balanced charms... I would design a charm that let's Malfeas be in any party that he wants to.

Alternatively, let's you shove your will into a 1st Circle demon, thus letting you walk around with seriously curtailed power. Thus letting Malfeas go to the party. He still can't leave, but he can at least go.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    Alternatively, let's you shove your will into a 1st Circle demon, thus letting you walk around with seriously curtailed power. Thus letting Malfeas go to the party. He still can't leave, but he can at least go.
    He can already do that.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2012-11-11 at 06:22 PM.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

12. - Top - End - #402
    Ettin in the Playground

Excellent! Then he can make it to the party.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Titan in the Playground

I think he can only do it for, like, one day a year, though.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

14. - Top - End - #404
    Titan in the Playground

Out of curiosity, is there a Charm that would reasonably allow you to end someone's Limit Break prematurely by punching them really hard in the face? "LET'S SEE YOU GRIT THOSE TEETH!"
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

Yup, any charms that let you incapacitate a person.
    Youth and strenght alvays lose to age and treachery.

16. - Top - End - #406
    Bugbear in the Playground

Wouldn't the limit break just be on 'pause' while they were unconscious?

Also can you tell if you yourself are under limit break?
    Exalted avatar remix by Musashi
    Original Avatar by Strawberries
    Character is Kin from Goblins

17. - Top - End - #407
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doran View Post
    Wouldn't the limit break just be on 'pause' while they were unconscious?

Also can you tell if you yourself are under limit break?
    Would it pause? It lasts for a set amount of time, so I'd imagine if you're subdued it still elapses, but I might be wrong.

Could UMI force someone experiencing Limit Break to sit still/stop sobbing in the foetal position.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Firbolg in the Playground

Until one picks up Stubborn Boar Defense.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

19. - Top - End - #409
    Troll in the Playground

I suppose with something like berserk anger you could just remove their limbs, replace them with clockwork prosthetic ones, awaken the least god, give said least god a positive intimacy to the solar, and have to cut the power everything Truth Shines Through pings.

(Or do the same with some internal knockout agent artifact)
    Many, many thanks to azuyomi244 for the avatar.

20. - Top - End - #410
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

... hey. My Solar with intelligent armor that has a positive Intimacy to her needs to learn Truth Shines Through. Then he can lock the joints of her plate armor whenever it pings! Thanks, Exthalion!

(Alternatively, I could trust the ghost in the armor to decide when her behavior is crossing a line, but I think he's also high-Compassion high-Valor - for example, when she went into Red Rage of Compassion and tried to punch a circle-mate who she thought was causing suffering, and then tore down a wall that was a symbol of slavery and oppression with her bare hands (which was kind of a happy coincidence, she was in "smash the furniture" mode and the wall was in her way), the ghost helped enthusiastically on both fronts. The wall-tearing-down actually got us a lot of credit with the local population; it was a weirdly positive Limit Break.)
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    I must not argue on the Internet.
    Internet argument is the mind-killer.
    It is the little death that brings total aggravation.
    I will face my annoyance.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    When it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path.
    Where the irritation has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ifni View Post
    ... hey. My Solar with intelligent armor that has a positive Intimacy to her needs to learn Truth Shines Through. Then he can lock the joints of her plate armor whenever it pings! Thanks, Exthalion!

(Alternatively, I could trust the ghost in the armor to decide when her behavior is crossing a line, but I think he's also high-Compassion high-Valor - for example, when she went into Red Rage of Compassion and tried to punch a circle-mate who she thought was causing suffering, and then tore down a wall that was a symbol of slavery and oppression with her bare hands (which was kind of a happy coincidence, she was in "smash the furniture" mode and the wall was in her way), the ghost helped enthusiastically on both fronts. The wall-tearing-down actually got us a lot of credit with the local population; it was a weirdly positive Limit Break.)
    You're welcome. The best part is that other UMI based mind screw tactics also stop working to some degree. Can be dangerous depending on the spirit, but nothing is perfect. You could try nano scale least gods in the blood, but that never quite got perfected.
    Many, many thanks to azuyomi244 for the avatar.

22. - Top - End - #412

And then someone uses UMI on your armor. Your armor, that cannot learn any sort of mental defenses. And that you have explicitly set up to be able to immobilize you. Have fun!

...Also Truth Shines Through is an awful charm. >.> (Or at least, the bit that interacts with Limit Break is. No one knows it exists! There cannot POSSIBLY be a charm that tells people you're being hit by it, because you aren't even allowed to know it's unnatural!)

23. - Top - End - #413
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragnar View Post
    ...Also Truth Shines Through is an awful charm. >.> (Or at least, the bit that interacts with Limit Break is. No one knows it exists! There cannot POSSIBLY be a charm that tells people you're being hit by it, because you aren't even allowed to know it's unnatural!)
    Er... It can interact with Limit Break.
    However subtle it is - and a small handful of people DO know it exists - it is still a false imposition upon the Exaltation.
    Solars have big themes against being imposed upon, and the "I am the ideal of myself" tendencies make it even more difficult.

Why the hell would the curses of the Neverborn be somehow MORE inviolate than the invulnerability of the Exaltations themselves? The fact that ONLY Solars get a charm to reveal this, and that it's not a supremely-common charm, is probably the best the Neverborn could have hoped for.

(After all, those curses might have been taught to them by the Ebon Dragon, though that might just be the Neverborn being insane. If they WERE taught by Ebby, the Neverborn got off lucky.)
    Spoiler: Quotes Collection
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    I think we can pack it up and move to a different thread. aetherialDawn has won this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuna
    Sufficiently advanced paranoia is indistinguishable from complacency.

Avatar by me - sketch of Skywing.
    Exalted: Scriptures of the Castes PM me suggestions!

24. - Top - End - #414

On the one hand, I won't argue that revealing the curse in that way is unthematic for solars. On the other, the setting DEPENDS on no one being able to find out it exists. And the charm takes it from 'solars are stupidly powerful, and sometimes it makes them go a little crazy' to 'every single solar who knows this charm is randomly taken over by an outside force we have not identified'.

...At which point you're claiming every Twilight in the first age was unable to identify the curse, even KNOWING that it is there. I've got a harder time accepting that, than accepting that solars can't identify when they are being driven to excesses of their own virtues. (Their own virtues. The curse doesn't violate their ideals, it just warps them.)

25. - Top - End - #415
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by aetherialDawn View Post
    Er... It can interact with Limit Break.
    However subtle it is - and a small handful of people DO know it exists - it is still a false imposition upon the Exaltation.
    Solars have big themes against being imposed upon, and the "I am the ideal of myself" tendencies make it even more difficult.

Why the hell would the curses of the Neverborn be somehow MORE inviolate than the invulnerability of the Exaltations themselves? The fact that ONLY Solars get a charm to reveal this, and that it's not a supremely-common charm, is probably the best the Neverborn could have hoped for.

(After all, those curses might have been taught to them by the Ebon Dragon, though that might just be the Neverborn being insane. If they WERE taught by Ebby, the Neverborn got off lucky.)
    I'm quite fine with how it interacts with limit break too, because it doesn't hint at anything the Host didn't already know during the couple thousand years of the first age.
    1) Only people who are really tied to you notice the Limit-specific signal.
    2) They can't tell the limit-specific signal apart from any other.
    3) The signal does not hint at what the influence's origin is.
    4) It doesn't help when you get the odd solar whose behavior before limit break is pretty much the same during limit break.
    And even without it, the entire host could see that every now and then a solar or lunar would go nuts (or were completely bonkers full time), to the point you had people researching into it at the time, and it didn't work.
    On the other, the setting DEPENDS on no one being able to find out it exists.
    That it does, but not that much. The usurpation would happen without it.
    And the charm takes it from 'solars are stupidly powerful, and sometimes it makes them go a little crazy' to 'every single solar who knows this charm is randomly taken over by an outside force we have not identified'.
    Not quite. As said not everyone will see it, but it will indeed bring some more prodding. How much, however, is not necessarily a lot.
    ...At which point you're claiming every Twilight in the first age was unable to identify the curse, even KNOWING that it is there.
    Nope! The Host wasn't unified in that way. People were busy with their own affairs to care, and the own sufferers of limit breaks often dismissed it as spur-of-the-moment decisions, as they have always done before.
    I've got a harder time accepting that, than accepting that solars can't identify when they are being driven to excesses of their own virtues. (Their own virtues. The curse doesn't violate their ideals, it just warps them.)
    The curse is insidious like that.
    Last edited by Andreaz; 2012-11-13 at 11:20 AM.

26. - Top - End - #416

Quote Originally Posted by aetherialDawn View Post
    Obviously the Neverborn's curse is the one fetter that actually matters. Until they can forgive the exalted, they will never know peace. And once they destroy creation, they will circle oblivion forever with the exalted shards growing ever angrier and never knowing peace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Ettin in the Playground

Maybe the Great Curse actively resists being known about?

And, since it has infected an Exaltation (or, rather, most of them), it draws on the sheer awesome of said Exaltation to resist any attempts to be discovered.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Dwarf in the Playground

So, why do Yozis have such strong concepts of gender identity when they're effectively an entire pantheon or deities, a concept and one or more composite bodies generated from the sum of their lesser parts, many of which are entire planes of existence, all at the same time?

I don't think I've heard of a Primordial that doesn't identify as male or female, which strikes me as rather odd. Particularly when it's pretty arbitrary: What masculine characteristics did Adrian lose track of, and what feminine characteristics did Adorjan gain?

Or did they just have some group of bored first age Twilight researchers going around arbitrarily assigning them?

"Hey, Resplendent Crimson Lotus, would you say this Infinite Desert is a boy or a girl?"

"Girl, totally."

"And the forest of upside-down mirror trees?"

"That's a dude."

29. - Top - End - #419
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by omegalith View Post
    So, why do Yozis have such strong concepts of gender identity when they're effectively an entire pantheon or deities, a concept and one or more composite bodies generated from the sum of their lesser parts, many of which are entire planes of existence, all at the same time?

I don't think I've heard of a Primordial that doesn't identify as male or female, which strikes me as rather odd. Particularly when it's pretty arbitrary: What masculine characteristics did Adrian lose track of, and what feminine characteristics did Adorjan gain?

Or did they just have some group of bored first age Twilight researchers going around arbitrarily assigning them?

"Hey, Resplendent Crimson Lotus, would you say this Infinite Desert is a boy or a girl?"

"Girl, totally."

"And the forest of upside-down mirror trees?"

"That's a dude."
    Why is it Mother Nature and Father Time. Why do people assign genders to their cars, etc.

Humans are just weird like that. We personify things as a force of habit.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2012-11-13 at 12:57 PM.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

30. - Top - End - #420

Because their fetich souls have gender identities. And the characteristics of the fetich influence the characteristic of the overall Yozi far more strongly than those of any other soul - hence why bad things happen when someone kills said fetich.

Adrian's fetich soul was evidently male. That one exalted who I cannot remember killed it, and the trauma damaged the other souls even as another was selected as the fetich. Then the Yozi was Adorjan, and she promptly fell in love with the guy who killed her original fetich, because she was now kinda insane like that.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.