New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [Rail] Academy City OOC I : Biribiri.

Alright, enough trying to destroy me.

When do we start? I'd rather not have the same thing that happened to Reborn, where we spent so long figuring out plots that it became hard to do anything happen here.
    I make avatars. Send me a request.
    BiTP:RCharacters
    Let's Play: Video Games!
    I suffer from major insomnia, don't be surprised if I'm on at odd hours.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ettin in the Playground

Not until at least Sunday, when 13 gets back. We've worked out a couple of ideas for beginning plots, but honestly we could use some more time to work out the kinks. I don't want to set a set date for this to start (in case I'm wrong) but at the earliest it'd probably be Wednesday to give people time to finish up their characters, beginning plots, and for people to return from trips/feel better (I know our resident Index/Railgun expert is sick right now and definitely want to give her time to recover at least).

Will it be the same obscene wait before Reborn started? No, but you still have some time if you want to make more characters or work with people on making your own plots.

@EDIT: Terry, Sakurako can be the one from Tokuwadai that Hisagi knows if no one else volunteers. ^.^
    Last edited by Callos_DeTerran; 2010-08-14 at 11:34 PM.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

3. - Top - End - #153
    Troll in the Playground

I return!

First, I must read through all the new characters.

Did I miss anything important while I was gone?

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: [Rail] Academy City OOC I : Biribiri.

Quote Originally Posted by 13_CBS View Post
    I return!

First, I must read through all the new characters.

Did I miss anything important while I was gone?
    You were gone?

Well, Terry is apparently easily addicted to comics, I finished my speedster character and we have assigned our characters to their respective schools
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

5. - Top - End - #155

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    Not until at least Sunday, when 13 gets back. We've worked out a couple of ideas for beginning plots, but honestly we could use some more time to work out the kinks. I don't want to set a set date for this to start (in case I'm wrong) but at the earliest it'd probably be Wednesday to give people time to finish up their characters, beginning plots, and for people to return from trips/feel better (I know our resident Index/Railgun expert is sick right now and definitely want to give her time to recover at least).

Will it be the same obscene wait before Reborn started? No, but you still have some time if you want to make more characters or work with people on making your own plots.

@EDIT: Terry, Sakurako can be the one from Tokuwadai that Hisagi knows if no one else volunteers. ^.^
    Kaaaaay~

That'll be fun.

I just realized that Hisagi's the only guy with a backstory.

One of few that is.
    Last edited by Terry576; 2010-08-15 at 05:32 PM.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terry576 View Post
    Kaaaaay~

That'll be fun.

I just realized that Hisagi's the only guy with a backstory.
    My four characters would disagree with that statement.
    Last edited by 13_CBS; 2010-08-15 at 05:33 PM.

7. - Top - End - #157

ONE OF FEW.

Izzat better?

Oh, and Kerfluffle started the KHitP thread.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

ONE OF FEW.

Izzat better?
    CBS has four characters with backstories.
    Rin has a backstory.
    Hisagi has a backstory.
    Hinata has a backstory.

That's 7 characters. There are 13 total on the wiki.

Therefore, your character is part of the majority.

So... no, not better.

9. - Top - End - #159

Quote Originally Posted by Vael View Post
    CBS has four characters with backstories.
    Rin has a backstory.
    Hisagi has a backstory.
    Hinata has a backstory.

That's 7 characters. There are 13 total on the wiki.

So... no, not better.
    Fine.

*runs off to play Oblivion.

With mods.*

10. - Top - End - #160
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vael View Post

So... no, not better.
    Fine.

With mods.*

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #161
    Barbarian in the Playground

Fine.

With mods.*
    HAXXXXX!!!! *throws computer monitor*
    Sir Dan Avatar by Mrgone!

12. - Top - End - #162
    Pixie in the Playground

Well I was kind of bored and interested in joining this, and came up with a cool idea that I thought I'd run by you guys. Not really sure about what level or affiliation he should have, was just thinking I would make him into whatever the story needed.

Name: Hibiki Akira
    Aliases: Reverb
    Level: ?
    Group: ?

Description:

Thin, lean, and athletic, Akira isn't much different physically than most other teenagers, apart from maybe the worn out shoes and constantly changing headphones. He has medium-length black hair and striking green eyes. Akira is quite intelligent despite his lack of education before middle school, but never seems to be paying attention.

Born into a family with intense marital troubles, Akira would often use his headphones to drown out the noise of drunken fights. Eventually, he decided he could no longer live there and made his way into the streets, stealing as he needed and always keeping his headphones to remember his past. After years of being homeless, he was adopted by a family who had recently lost a child of his age. After being put into school, Akira astonished instructors with the speed at which he discovered his ability. Finding new hope in his esper powers, Akira now works to improve his gift tirelessly.

Esper Ability: Distortion Amp

Akira is able to manipulate, and at higher levels, even create, the vibrations that make up sound. This gives him a host of abilities ranging from simple sound amplification to using vibrations to inflict massive damage upon a target. Repeated use of his abilities has allowed him to create a simple "sonar" where he can use vibrations he creates to "see" into places that normally he could not, such as behind a wall or into a building.

Level 1:
    Spoiler
    Show
    *Amplify noises, allowing him much better-than-average hearing
    *Suppress noise (whenever a bit of quiet is needed)
    -(Both of these apply to every sound he hears)

Level 2:
    Spoiler
    Show
    *Can selectively amplify and quiet noises he hears, allowing him to pick out a specific voice or noise from even the loudest crowd

Level 3:
    Spoiler
    Show
    *Can affect noises others perceive, allowing him to eliminate any noise he creates, such as from walking, breathing, or talking. (Makes him silent no matter what he does)
    *Is able to create short, high energy bursts of noise within a 10ft radius around him, which can be enough to knock out or permanently deafen an individual. He must be able to clearly see where he will make the noise, or he risks injuring his own hearing.
    *Can send out vibrations through a structure to determine a rough inside layout, as long as he is touching a part of that structure. He can only determine the size and shapes of the rooms, though, not what is inside them. This action is fairly draining, and repeated use can easily wear him out. The larger the building, the more drain he feels.

Level 4:
    Spoiler
    Show
    *He can now create vibrations powerful enough to physically affect other objects within a 35 ft radius around him. This power is heavily affected by the amount of ambient noise already around. In a silent field, he is only able to create the force of a strong punch, but in a crowded street he could easily destroy a wall. He no longer needs a line of sight to create vibrations, as long as it is within 10ft of his position. He still must clearly see where he is creating the vibrations outside of that area, or he can inflict damage upon himself.
    *Can suppress the noises of others and allow them the same hearing proficiencies as him. He must personally pick which sounds are amplified to them, and can only apply these effects to 4 other individuals at any time. This can only be used with a person's consent, as any resistance from the individual will nullify the effects.
    *Can actively protect self from any audio-related attacks (such as Capacity Down). Because of the aggressive nature of such sound, it is far harder to suppress than normal sounds. Doing this requires great concentration and severely limits the use of his other powers, and also forces him to rest afterwards to regain the use of his abilities.
    *Can now recognize the presence of individuals inside a building that he scans, as well as what sort of furniture is inside, but his perception of the interior is still fairly rough. This ability is much easier to perform, but overuse can still be draining on him.

Level 5:
    Spoiler
    Show
    *Practically all limits on his abilities are lifted: He could silence the movements of a small army and create vibrations powerful enough to bring down a building, with enough effort. He now can create these vibrations within a 100ft radius around him.
    * He can also apply his level one and two powers to others, even against their will. The drawback is that he himself must suffer the same effects as his target. If he eliminates their hearing, then his is gone as well, and likewise "raising the volume" of another person's hearing will make things just as loud for him.
    *All his abilities become far more accurate, as well. He can determine the exact size and shape of any object inside a building he scans, and could even recognize a face if he had seen it before.
    * He also can agitate and accelerate vibrations around him so much that he can create "blades" of vibrations in an area around him, with which he could easily cut through all but the strongest of materials. This is by far his most costly ability to use, and is limited to a 15ft radius around him.
    *He no longer has to see the area in which he uses any of his abilities, as long as he knows its relative position. By using vibrations, he can look past walls into other spaces, and use that knowledge to create distortions in places he cannot directly see.

Other Uses:

He can create vibrations defensively as well, by creating or manipulating vibrations that are just as strong as the force of the incoming attack. Doing this is no harder than it would be if it was offensive, but it often results in the destruction of whatever is coming towards him. For instance, a car would suffer damage comparable to crashing into a wall at whatever speed it is traveling, and a person's hand could easily be broken. His defensive capability is limited to the same strength as his offensive, and he must know which direction the attack is coming from. He can even block a bullet at level 5 if he can see it coming (subconscious reflex, only works in dire situations) , but is helpless if caught off guard by an attack. A defensive use of his ability is just as draining as an offensive use of the same strength.

Because of his proficiency in seeing with vibrations at level 3 or higher, he is still capable of moving around and even fighting if blinded in some way. His accuracy is affected by the level of his perception with vibrations, and he would only dare to use his abilities freely if he was level 5, but he is certainly not useless if he loses his sight.

Manipulating vibrations is far easier than creating them, and while he can create some noise by blasting the music in his headphones, he can perform more powerful moves with less fatigue in the presence of loud noise than in silence.

Physical Traits

Acrobatic: Being forced to move through a city stealing to live tends to make a person a bit better at moving around. While not quite a parkour expert, Akira is right at home vaulting over walls and climbing through windows.

Precise Fighter: Being a small guy that gets caught up in street fights meant he had to find a way to be more agile and accurate than most. He knows just where to hit to make it hurt, even if he isn't as strong as his opponent.

Heightened Reflexes: As a result of the previous two traits, Akira has trained himself to make split-second moves under pressure, making him fast with his body and even faster with his abilities.

Mental Traits

Street Credz: Living on the street for years has resulted in Akira making a lot of friends around the city. Through them he has access to lots of information, or even some backup in a pinch.

Near-Photographic Memory: A trait he's always had, Akira can memorize almost anything he sees or hears, allowing him to remember a floorplan or even someone's voice.

Empathetic: Perhaps an odd result of the trauma he experienced, Akira can't stand watching someone or something in pain. Animals and people alike, he has an extreme aversion to causing harm. Even if he is in a fight to the death, he would much rather simply incapacitate his enemy than kill them.

Notable Equipment:

Top of the Line Headphones: Always a thief, Akira makes it his business to procure the best audio gear he can find. He is never without a set of headphones, and only removes them if absolutely necessary.

Edit: Changed stuff based on suggestions, will keep doing so as more problems arise.
    Last edited by Alter; 2010-08-15 at 11:44 PM.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ettin in the Playground

First off, welcome to the game! Always nice to see a new face and hopefully you'll find the community here to be friendly and whatnot. On the subject of your character though...

There's uh...a couple things that stand out to me.

-The fact that, he's able to consciously react with his powers against things like...bullets. At Level 4 and up, that pretty much means guns/explosions/etc will longer even be a threat to him. Which means unless a large force of Anti-Skill or MAR decides to put the pressure on him, he can ignore any non-esper enemy entirely. This seems problematic.

-He's specifically immune to one of the few things that is directly made to counter espers, and he does it passively. That's never a good sign. Why does he need to be passively immune to a very specific counter?

-Specifically going out of your way to mention it can affect another's abilities, even going so far as to name that person, is another thing that's not a good sign in my personal experience. Why? I mean...I can see it happening as a side-effect of someone's powers, but you specifically name light and then Rin. I don't think you meant it as such, but it feels like you are singling Rin out. ((Though this is somewhat blurred by the fact that I'm not sure how sound is affecting photons...))

-I'm also wondering how he his reflexes got so good in the first place. Reacting fast enough to consciously affect bullets? Big big surprise. How'd his reflexes get so good?

Those are the four problems I see, right off the top of my head. ^.^;

That said, I think he has an interesting background dynamic going on for him and it'd be interesting to see where he ends up and what he ends up doing once these issues are handled. Hopefully we can get these kinks worked out so everyone is happy.
    Last edited by Callos_DeTerran; 2010-08-15 at 11:27 PM.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

Well I finally settled on something so here it is:
    Spoiler
    Show

Name: Kan Kei (完 慶)
    Aliases: None
    Level: 4
    Groups: Judgment
    School: Azabu

Description:

Appearance:
    Kei has black shaggy shoulder length hair. His eyes are dark brown. He’s slim and well muscled. He wears his uniform in and outside of school. Kei usually has a look of sly confidence and a carefree air about him. His skin is lightly tanned. His face is smooth, handsome and generally considered pretty friendly looking. He only puts on his Judgment armband when he’s actively patrolling.

Personality:
    Kei is an easygoing and friendly person. He’s kind but not to a fault. He has a good sense of humour and is a pretty tolerant guy in general. He doesn’t really take any pride in being a member of Judgment or getting great grades. Being in the organization is just a way for him to pass time and get some occasional excitement. He could use his power on himself but he choose not to do because he’d like to solve any problems he has without special aids. He also doesn’t use his powers on people unless he is first given permission to do so or he is fighting to protect someone. He figures others probably feel the way he does and even if they don’t he respects their right not to have their minds tampered with. Kei doesn’t mind school and studying. He’s simply developed good habits and is indifferent towards it. He doesn’t feel it gets in the way of his life, he fully accepts it as part of it. He enjoys reading for educational and entertainment purposes. He likes to keep himself in top shape and prefers martial arts over any other sports because of the unique individual challenge they provide.

Background: Kei comes from a wealthy loving family. He never lacked anything but that hasn't caused him to become a spoiled brat since he got ample lessons in discipline and modesty. His powers grew fast with training and he's found the study programs interesting and even somewhat fun. Throughout his life with his parents Kei was raised to be an overachiever. They didn't put constant pressure on him to succeed, instead they constantly tried to get him involved in various educational activities at a young age so that he'd learn to like and treat them as a normal part of everyday life. Their substantial wealth has allowed him a spot in Azabu within the separate more luxurious dormitory.

Abilities

Esper Ability: Bliss Maker
    Kei has the power to make people experience pleasure just by looking at them. The pleasure generated can be very slight or far stronger than any other known kind. It can be so overwhelming that it hampers the usage of powers by afflicted espers. It can also cause temporary or total paralysis, numbing of senses, disorientation, loss of coordination and concentration, unconsciousness and even death by over-stimulation. Kei is able to choose whether a target feels physical or mental pleasure or a combination of the two. He can target individual areas of the body or its entirety. Kei can counteract any pain felt by an injury using his powers as well as relieve mental and physical stress. A person frozen by fear or depression can be made to overcome such feelings temporarily. A person filled with anger and the intent to harm Kei could have his violent emotional urges momentarily suppressed making any remaining active desire to attack him largely based on logic. Someone that tries to attack him with little logical motivation might lose all interest in continuing their assault.

Kei’s power doesn’t rid people of negative feelings by default. It drowns them out with positive feelings. Sometimes people may shed certain emotions and desires because the experience is so moving. It’s possible for people exposed to his ability to develop an addiction to it but it isn’t necessarily inherently addictive to anyone.

He is capable of targeting multiple people simultaneously but doing so takes more concentration and the force of his ability on individuals is lessened for each additional person he splits his attention among. In order for Kei to use Bliss Maker he must be able to see his targets. The farther away from him they are the less effective his power is. The reverse is naturally true. His touch can be extremely debilitating and potentially lethal.

His power can be resisted but it is hard to do so when it is applied unexpectedly or when a person has had no prior exposure to it. It cannot immediately cause great harm to anyone unless they have a very weak will or little psychic energy or they are being touched by him. Pleasure created by Bliss Maker quickly fades after use and can take a variety of forms according to what Kei wishes. As an example a person may feel very relaxed and content or excited and energized.

Physical Traits:
    -Great Physical Shape: Kei is naturally athletic and enjoys exercising. He’s got an impressive combination of strength, stamina and coordination for his age.
    -Self-Defence Training: Kei’s learned a variety of combat techniques from multiple martial arts and has substantial real fighting experience.

Mental Traits:
    -Academic Excellence: Kei isn’t the typical high-strung student at Azabu Academy. He does quite well in school and doesn’t find studying to be much of a hassle. He doesn’t really like it either though.

Notable Equipment:
    Standard judgment handcuffs and a cell phone.

I figure the power can be pretty strong but a zillion things can defeat him such as someone with a gun/projectile attack and good aim. Obviously it's only as potent/fast as plot dictates. I'll try adding more details to the character but I just can't think of much now.
    Last edited by nothingclever; 2010-08-16 at 01:46 PM.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Pixie in the Playground

Alright, ignore the reference to the other character (just remove that part of the ability) then. I'll admit that was odd.

As for the bullets part, I'll specify that he can only do that at level 5, and he's able to react that quickly because it's more of a subconscious thing (Something like Accelerator, but requiring actual visual contact with the item). Also, doing something like that takes an effort to match the force of whatever is heading towards him. In the case of a bullet, it's a pretty decent force, and it's not like he could take a constant barrage of them. It's more like in a pinch he would be able to deflect a bullet or two to save his life.

As for the immunity to Capacity Down, it just seems like a person able to control sound would have some sort of resistance against it. I'm thinking now though that it's only for him (can't help others), and still keep the short time limit even at level 5. (about 10 minutes or so?) Protecting himself also limits his other abilities, so it's more like a way for him to escape it than to ignore it.

Everything sounds so much less broken when you're tired and bored. I'm sure there's other stuff like that in there, so keep the feedback coming.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alter View Post
    Well I was kind of bored and interested in joining this, and came up with a cool idea that I thought I'd run by you guys. Not really sure about what level or affiliation he should have, was just thinking I would make him into whatever the story needed. I included a couple of things to make him into a possible villain character, (immunity to Capacity Down and a counter-ability to Harada Rin) but honestly I could go any way at this point. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hello! Welcome to Academy City In the Playground!

We'd have to talk to see whether or not Akira would be a villain or good guy, but if he's in school (and judging from his age) he will probably qualify to be a 3rd year Junior High student, and given his...rough background he'd probably fit best in Onizuka Middle School. Of course, the more prestigious Azabu Middle School is also an option if you want Akira to encounter draconic teachers and a completely different environment from the streets.

As for Akira's powers, I have nothing to add on top of what Callos has already said aside from emphasizing some of Callos' points:

1) Akira's reflexes are very quick indeed if he has sufficient reflexes to react to bullets, and his power doesn't seem to make them that much faster. Is there a reason why Akira's reflexes seem so superhuman?

2) I must also question the science behind sound waves being able to affect photons. Sound waves, as far as I know, are generated when atoms vibrate in a specific way; I'm unfamiliar with any sonic phenomena that can affect eectromagnetic waves to the extent that one could be protected from them. Could you explain your reasoning for this?

But, those are details we can easily work out.

Again, welcome to Academy City ITP! Be sure to sit still when Callos harvests your kidneys: he hates it when they struggle.

Edit: And then I get ninja'ed. Lovely.

@ Nothingclever: I'll get to you tomorrow.
    Last edited by 13_CBS; 2010-08-15 at 11:46 PM.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

I thought that Callos only harvested kidneys for NarutoITP? Ah well, no matter.

Anyway, I have an idea for my characters' higher levels, but I'm not sure if it's overpowered or something.

A webcomic by Sahaar and I, Shadow of Fire. Read it!

Giant in the Playground Worldbuilding Project.

Avatar by James Cameron. Or Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. Oh wait, I mean Tom Siddell.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Klose_the_Sith View Post
    Thanks. I just happen to be a hug Grammar Nazi at times. Sorry if it bothers you at all.
    Regardless of whether that was intentional or not, I think I love you.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #168
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 13_CBS View Post
    2) I must also question the science behind sound waves being able to affect photons. Sound waves, as far as I know, are generated when atoms vibrate in a specific way; I'm unfamiliar with any sonic phenomena that can affect eectromagnetic waves to the extent that one could be protected from them. Could you explain your reasoning for this?
    That was just a wierd, crazy idea I had that doesn't make a lot of sense in retrospect. It is removed as well.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alter View Post
    As for the immunity to Capacity Down, it just seems like a person able to control sound would have some sort of resistance against it. I'm thinking now though that it's only for him (can't help others), and still keep the short time limit even at level 5. (about 10 minutes or so?) Protecting himself also limits his other abilities, so it's more like a way for him to escape it than to ignore it.
    It's moreso the 'passive part' that made me stop and stare, cause it implies he's constantly warping all of the noise around him. I'm not so worried if he just has some resistance and ability to protect himself with some strain though.

It's just that Capcity Down can and should remain a rare and powerful tool, seeing a defense against it just...crop up was abit of a of a surprise.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

All this talk about sound had me realising something.

Katsu won't be moving at full speed most of the time to avoid deafening people with the sonic boom.

Though it would be cool to have him make one if he ever ended up fighting Akira, the battle would be audible several cities away! or he could use it to play an audible air guitar
    Last edited by Mina Kobold; 2010-08-16 at 09:53 AM.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ettin in the Playground

Also, a question for all players...how would you all feel about starting the game in the fall/winter (In-game that is)? It serves as a nice difference compared to....just about every other game that starts in the spring or in summer.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ettin in the Playground

Sure, why not? Just tell what kind of climate conditions should we expect.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I got no problem with starting In Fall or Winter.

Or Fwintall for that matter.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

No problem here either.

A webcomic by Sahaar and I, Shadow of Fire. Read it!

Giant in the Playground Worldbuilding Project.

Avatar by James Cameron. Or Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. Oh wait, I mean Tom Siddell.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Klose_the_Sith View Post
    Thanks. I just happen to be a hug Grammar Nazi at times. Sorry if it bothers you at all.
    Regardless of whether that was intentional or not, I think I love you.

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

It's fine with me.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Troll in the Playground

Average Tokyo weather:

Autumn is from September to November, and is generally cooler with less humidity. However, if you visit during September there may still be days that reach above 30°C. Fall is always a welcome relief with clear blue skies and beautiful flowers. Average temperatures range from 13°C to 26°C (56°F to 78°F).

Winter is from December to February, characterized by chilly and gray days. Even though temperatures rarely fall below freezing, snow showers occur from time to time in the center of the city (even though it rarely piles up). Days are short with sunset around 5:00pm. Average temperatures range from -1°C to 9°C (29°F to 48°F).

@ Nothingclever: I've found nothing of concern about Kei.
    Last edited by 13_CBS; 2010-08-16 at 07:43 PM.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Troll in the Playground

Sorry for the double post, but my other character:

Meanwhile, new character:

Tennori Masahito

Family Name: Tennori, 佃敬 (佃(ten: "rice field) 敬 (nori: "honor") (aka Tenkei: "oracle"))

Given Name: Masahito, 全智 (全 (Masa: "all") 智 (Hito: "wisdom") (aka Zenchi: "omniscience"))

Aliases: Boss, Ghost

Level: 5

Groups: Leader of the Psyche Hunters Skill-Out gang

Appearance: For someone his age, Masahito is rather short and thin. He has short hair and tends to go about wearing some combination of t shirt and jeans; overall, a rather nondescript appearance. His almost pitch black eyes, however, exhibit a great shrewdness, and seem to draw in all there is to see about whatever he gazes at, though of late they are also haunted by guilt and doubt.

Personality: Masahito is calculating, intelligent, and very serious when on the job. Around his fellow Psyche Hunters ("the family", as he calls it), however, he is much more easygoing; casual, even. Because of his upbringing he tends to hold on to a relatively polite way of speech, though Skill Out slang tends to leak in every once in a while. He has a tendency to regard with suspicion anyone who seems to be a level 3 or higher ESPer, and cold hatred for ESPers who bully the weak.

Recently, however, paranoia and a lack of confidence have started to creep into his personality. The recent split that formed in the Psyche Hunters, and his crushing defeat at the hands of someone he used to call a close friend, has damaged his morale and confidence.

Abilities
    Esper Ability: Remote Sensing (aka Ghost)
    Basic Function: Level Five Remote Sensing allows Masahito to, in essence, shape his AIM Field into simulacra of his sensory organs, allowing him to see, hear, feel, taste, and smell has he normally could at any location within 10 miles. His senses themselves are not improved; he can simply use them at any location he chooses. At level five, his power is such that he can essentially use what most would call "Astral Projection" or an out of body experience, which is where he gets his nickname "Ghost", and allows him to detect AIM Fields and gauge their approximate power (though he must witness the ESPer's abilities first hand to know what their power actually is).

This means that usual sensor jamming tactics will not work on him. Placing Masahito in a sound proof room, however, means that he will simply use his power to set up a listening post for himself just outside the room: blinding his eyes will simply mean that he must use his powers at all times to see: a stuffy nose can also be overcome in a similar fashion. Things like smokescreens are pointless unless the target he needs to see is also inside the smokescreen, and so forth.

The primary weakness of Remote Sensing is that it mimics the senses perhaps too well; because stimuli are received and channeled to Masahito's brain through his AIM Field, overloading his senses is easily possible. If he sees something too bright, or feels something too hot or cold, or hears something too loud, or smells something unpleasant, or tastes something foul, then he will react as he would if he sensed those things with his physical organs.

Remote Sensing is also just that: Remote Sensing. He cannot directly interact with the physical world. He can see, but he can't block light with his ability: he can hear, but can't dampen sound: he can touch, but he can't apply any force to the object he's touching: and so forth.

Masahito has up to 8 "sensory slots", which is the maximum number of false sensory organs he can have active at once. The 8 slots can be filled with any combination of Sight, Smell, Hearing (including vibrations transmitted through solid objects), Taste, and Touch (including thermal sensors as well as normal texture sensing). The more sensory slots are filled up, however, the more concentration he must expend. Masahito can move around and perform normal actions at full capacity as long as he doesn't have more than 2 slots filled; up to five slots can be filled without him having to sit down and concentrate. Masahito can concentrate on 8 sensory slots at once for only an hour at a time.

Additional Uses:
    Such an ability has proved to be very flexible. Ghost allows him to use the following abilities:

• Lie Detection: by listening to the speaker's heartbeat and hearing how it changes, Masahito can try to see if the speaker is lying to him. Sufficiently cool headed and skilled liars can still fool this ability, however.
    • Hidden Item Search: by extending his sense of touch, he can give someone a pat down without them ever knowing it, allowing Masahito to see whether or not someone his trying to hide an object in their clothing. He can search inside bags as well, though since bags are often closed he can only feel his way around the insides of the bag.
    • Information Theft: he can spy on people to steal information from them. By watching people type, listening to people carelessly talk about sensitive info, and reading documents left around, he can pick up on private data that would otherwise require high risk infiltration.

Physical Traits
    Athleticism: Masahito has slightly above average athleticism, a requirement for surviving in District 10. His physical strength is somewhat lacking, however, due to his skin and bones physique and lack of height.

Mental traits
    Multitasking: Because he's used to keeping track of multiple senses at once, MAsahito has learned how to divide up his concentration effectively, allowing him to keep in mind several things at once.

Papa Wolf: Don't mess with the Psyche Hunters. Don't bully the weak. Do either of those, and he will bring down the hammer upon you like a righteous god.

Charisma: Despite his unimpressive stature, Masahito has a knack for building trust among people. This has netted him a lot of friends and, later on, gang recruits.

History:
    Spoiler
    Show

Masahito was born into the Tennori family with luxury and talent. Growing up, he led a privileged life with little hardship, and did his family proud when he trained his psychic powers to level five at an astonishingly young age. As his parents expected of him, he moved to Academy City and took part in various ESPer research programs while attending Azabu Academy. Life went well for him; he was popular, did well in everything he did, and believed that he helped Academy City improve its knowledge of AIM Fields substantially.

One day, out of curiosity, Masahito used Ghost on a certain laboratory while waiting for his next research session. He discovered to his horror the cold, uncaring attitude the City's researchers had for their test subjects and that all too many of the projects were funded and approved of by the City's Board of Directors itself. Over the course of several days after this enlightenment, he used his power to peer into the deepest, darkest corners of Academy City, and saw things that at first horrified him, but later gave him the conviction to topple the City's rulers and bring the system they built crashing down.

And so Masahito fled to District 10. He did his best to earn the trust of one of the Skill Out gangs there, the Psyche Hunters, and he quickly proved himself to be immensely useful to their cause, despite his status as a Level Five ESPer. He made his share of allies and friends among the Psyche Hunters, such as Mujou Ikisawa, but he never quite earned the trust of all of them, something that would come back to haunt him.

After Masahito's predecessor was killed in a mission, Masahito was selected to become the new leader of the Psyche Hunters. Things continued as usual, but Masahito made the mistake of taking the trust of his Psyche Hunters for granted. Many of the Psyche Hunters were becoming impatient at Masahito's strict ethical code. Meanwhile, Masahito believed that he had no reason to spy on his own family, thus allowing the malcontents scheme with ease. It all culminated one day when Ikisawa brutally beat Masahito and seceded his pack of followers from the Psyche Hunters, thus forming the Pysche Raiders.

Broken in body, Masahito today is also badly shaken by what he believes was Ikisawa's betrayal. He is currently preparing his gang to break up the Psyche Raiders, claiming that they will do more bad than good in the fight to stop the abuse of people by ESPers...but is there another reason why he wants to stop the Raiders so badly?

Should flesh out the Skill Out a bit more.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ettin in the Playground

Another protagonist, but one unlikely to bother most other characters unless they go picking a fight with him.

Mujou Ikisawa

Family Name: Mujou ('Illusionary/dream castle', can also mean 'ruthless' or 'heartless')

Given Name: Ikisawa ('The feeling is swift' if you play around with the kanji)

Aliases: "Red Oni"

Level: 0

Groups: Leader of the Psyche Raiders Skill-Out gang

Appearance: For someone his age, Ikisawa's build can only be described as heroic. He stands a head above most average sized adults and his lanky form is dominated by lean, compact muscles that were built up over many turbulent years. His black hair is swept back away from his face, revealing piercing brown eyes that have made more then a couple people uncomfortable to look into. More importantly though he has a sort of...bestial charisma about him, a magnetism that draws others to him and usually to fall under his sway as well. He's dangerous as most people passing by would say, something that has appealed to some.

For clothing he wears a black basketball jersey (though no numbers or logos on it) that's tucked into his pants. A long red jacket rests on his shoulders, giving him free access to it's many pockets if need be. His belt is studded with metal spikes while his jeans are ripped and torn from past fights, the pants legs tucked into black combat boots polished to a mirror shine. Usually one can see a dented metal baseball bat held loosely in one hand, or a large duffel bag slung over one shoulder. The only time he lacks either (or both) is when he knows he'll be searched.

Personality: Ikisawa has been likened to a revolutionary by some and as a terrorist by others, it depends on how firmly one believes in his ideals. That means, to most espers, he's nothing but a terrorist who shows a bit more consideration then others. To some Level 0's who find themselves downtrodden in a city that only cares about abilities though, he's nothing more then a hero who's doing to best to make sure their voice is still heard. Which helps considering he seems to have more then simple destruction on his mind, holding several rallies and public speeches to try and give others like himself some pride while reminding those with abilities they can't just blow off those without.

To further that last goal, he's held several live...demonstrations of administering justice to espers who have abused their abilities or caused significant harm to others with their abilities. No one has been killed, yet, but the Psychic Raiders and himself have hospitalized more then a few people because of the 'crimes' they've committed. Some people blame his entire 'agenda' on the fact that he's a hot-headed young man, unwilling to take a back seat while others try to solve a problem the diplomatic way. He always wants to take action against the injustices he sees while his magnetic personality has drawn others of like mind and methods to his side, swelling the Psychic Raiders' numbers by a fair bit. This isn't to say he hates all espers, but he doesn't trust them and is always just waiting for them to step out of line like he believes they always will. His methods may be a bit...reckless and dangerous, but Ikisawa has been adamant about not drawing innocents into his fight which has earned him some grudging respect from Anti-Skill and Judgement who are still trying to find him within District 10 on numerous charges.

Despite his impulsive nature, Ikisawa has a sort of animal cunning about him. He's not book smart, having dropped out of school, but he can still lay complex ambushes and traps to combat more powerful foes when normal tactics just won't work. His ferocity in battle has earned him the moniker the 'Red Oni' from the Psychic Raiders, and it's begun to spread too. With his recent defeat of a Level 5, his confidence has grown and he's become more aggressive in his raids, attacks, and rallies.

Abilities
    [B]Esper Ability: None

Physical Traits
    Athleticism: Ikisawa is in great physical shape and pushes his limits constantly whenever his schedule allows for it. Naturally he can't challenge espers with abilities related to strength, speed, or endurance (not well anyway) but for a regular human his abilities are formidable. He uses cunning plans to make up for the power gap between himself and his enemies.

Shooting & Explosive: As weird as it is for a kid like him to know this sort of stuff, Ikisawa spent a year or two abroad in America while he was still in school and learned proper gun handling and shooting while he was there. This is a skill he still keeps honed. Ikisawa won't be winning any marksmanship competitions, but he has a keen instinct for putting a bullet (rubber or otherwise) where he needs to put it. His knowledge of explosives is...rudimentary. He couldn't create a multi-phase explosive that would require a bomb squad to dispose of, but with the right materials he's learned how to fashion timed and triggered explosives

Street-fighting: Ikisawa doesn't know any fancy tricks to fighting, meaning some martial artists would hold an edge over him in this area, but he has years of experience in fighting on the streets and fighting dirty. It won't be a clean victory, but most people would be foolish to fight him head on in hand-to-hand. Especially since he's likely to practice his batting if he gets the chance.

Mental traits
    Animal magnetism: Like his former friend, Ikisawa is good at drawing people to him, but that's were it ends for him. He needs to create his own bonds with those who seek to join him, sometimes laboriously since he's a bit...rigid when it comes to his beliefs.

Cunning: He's far from book smart, but if he watches something enough then Ikisawa can figure out how it works in his own terms. This has also lead to it being difficult to predict where he'll act next, an immense help in keeping Judgement and Anti-Skill off his back.

Notable Equipment:

-Baseball Bat: Unless he's specifically prohibited from carrying it with him, Ikisawa always carries around a metal baseball bat despite the weird looks it gets him. For him, it's better to be safe then considered weird. The bat always looks well used though, dented and dirtied.
    -Duffel bag: His duffel bag is a thing of shock and horror for most normal people/espers raised with traditional Japanese values. It's full to the brim with a variety of non-lethal and sometimes just plain weird weapons from stun-guns, bear mace, and tasers to what appear to be small hand grenades (these are actually just home-made smoke bombs with something special to make it more like tear gas) with accompanying gas mask. It's an eclectic collection of self-defense items that one could get by ordering online by going through the proper channels, though Ikisawa likely hasn't. The center piece of his duffel bag is decidedly not non-lethal though, with what appears to be a modified Calico m950 with spare drums of live hollow point ammunition and two of rubber rounds. Often he isn't allowed to bring it certain places, because he'll be searched like other people, but this doesn't keep him from stashing it in an easy-to-run-to-location if things turn sour. The contents change based on when he's encountered but, despite the initial appearance, many of the things in his bag are used for non-lethal effects.
    -H&K USP Match: When all else fails, Ikisawa carries this handgun within his coat as often as he can with armor-piercing rounds and a couple reloads worth of bullets for whenever he gets into a truly desperate situation and his other methods aren't cutting it or were taken from him.
    Last edited by Callos_DeTerran; 2010-08-17 at 01:04 PM.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Barbarian in the Playground

Is the .50 a revolver? Wait... We can use guns here!?
    Sir Dan Avatar by Mrgone!

30. - Top - End - #180
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by riccaru View Post
    Is the .50 a revolver? Wait... We can use guns here!?
    I...wouldn't recommend it.

Japan has very strict gun control laws. VERY strict gun control laws. Civilians are legally allowed to possess airguns and sporting shotguns, and even then they must go through a very lengthy process of written exams, safe usage lectures, a trip to the hospital for a psychological evaluation, police investigation into family background, etc. Any other firearms (handguns like Ikisawa's Calico m950, .500 Magnum) are strictly forbidden to civvies, period, regardless of ammo type chambered into the gun.

The fact that Ikisawa has managed to get his hands on this sort of firepower is supposed to be a plot point. I'm personally against allow any other character firearms unless they pick one up off the ground or have VERY good reason to (has someone giving him funds and/or black market firearms, is a genius gunsmith, etc).

And yes, the .500 Magnum is a revolver:

Spoiler
    Show

Meanwhile, I've made a (very) simple banner for the Psyche Hunters:

Spoiler
    Show

A shield to protect the weak, a hammer to judge the wicked.
    Last edited by 13_CBS; 2010-08-16 at 11:34 PM.