New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Origin of Dwagons

Let's discuss the origin of dwagons. We see in strip #144 that a dwagon pops overhead. Stanley's Arkentool allows him to control dwagons (not create, not summon).

Postulate : Dwagons pop randomly. Without someone using the Arkenhammer (or possibly any Arkentool) , the dwagons are normally roaming monsters inimical to all sides.

The other likely possibility is that Stanley (or any leader for whom Dwagons are thematically appropriate) can pop them like standard units. This is less interesting, but it does answer that Stanley controls city production easily from a distance.

Other possibilities?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: Origin of Dwagons

Or, the arkenhammer adds dwagon to the allowable choices to set a cities production to....

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm in the camp that Dragons are just another unit in the production options. You probably need something special to unlock that option (Arkenhammer), but there is not reason to think that anyone can generate them. I would be interested to see if Stanley still has to "tame" this one before Parson can control it.

i'm just glad we finally saw what GK was building and this implies that production is a one time expense that doesn't require turn by turn payments (unless one of Sizemore's gems got consumed).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Opal Tide View Post
    I'm in the camp that Dragons are just another unit in the production options. You probably need something special to unlock that option (Arkenhammer), but there is not reason to think that anyone can generate them. I would be interested to see if Stanley still has to "tame" this one before Parson can control it.
    Hmmm... if so, that could be part of the reason Stanley considers it so important to get home....

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    Hmmm... if so, that could be part of the reason Stanley considers it so important to get home....
    Unlikely. It would be attacking Parson and co. if it weren't under control.

6. - Top - End - #6

Maybe "taming" means that even if other cities can pop dwagons, they immediately come under Stanley's control if they get near the arkentool.
    Quo vadis?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe it's both; dwagons pop randomly in erfworld as natural enemies, and Stanley found out that he can tame them when he met some. And since then he can produce them in GK. Or at least since he became overlord of GK.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Latest comic shows that dwagons can be popped just like any other unit.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by ObadiahtheSlim View Post
    Latest comic shows that dwagons can be popped just like any other unit.
    *Clear throat, don suitable expression of shock* Really? What a startling development! It completely changes this discussion!
    Last edited by DevilDan; 2009-04-29 at 05:40 PM.
    Quo vadis?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

We'll get this and other details codified and canon-ized in the wiki. Short answer: Cities have a limited menu of unit types they can produce. Gobwin Knob can pop most dwagon types, but couldn't produce, say, a gwiffon.

Many types of units also pop randomly in the wild as barbarians, and that's complicated. We did not see it happen in Book 1 at all, and it is fairly rare (can you imagine the cries of "deus ex machina" if we had seen it happen?)

Warlords can pop randomly in the wild, even more rarely. This is why Ansom would not necessarily think Jillian was a Royal, as randomly-popped barbarians are way more common than heirs and rulers who lost their capitals.

Natural allies pop more of their kind via moneymancy, converting Schmuckers directly to units. This is why they typically ally with a strong side that can pay them for their alliance, and/or they mine and farm and hunt and do various other money-making things in the wild.

Part of the fun in Book 1 has been revealing many of the facts of the world as Parson learned them, or as they served the story. But for Book 2, we'll have a more comprehensive world knowledgebase for readers to draw on. So it's time we can definitively answer some of these questions.
    Rob Balder, Erfworld author/co-creator, and creator of PartiallyClips

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Ahh, good, that actually answers a question I had - I was wondering where new sides came from. We have a 'nearly lost' Plaid tribe, and a 'lost' Croatan tribe... presumably other tribes have been lost. With weaker sides getting eliminated, there would be a rapid consolidation of Erfworld under fewer and fewer sides, and that didn't seem to be happening.

Presumably that consolidation doesn't happen because randomly popped barbarian Warlords assemble troops and capture a city from time to time, setting up a new side (and generating a new tribe). Considering the sheer level of destruction unleashed upon the Royal Crown Coalition, this may be an opportunity for some lucky barbarian to start a new side - one without previous hostility to Stanley.

Also, if Moneymancy allows direct conversion of Schmuckers to units, cities must need a Moneymancer to rush build... right? That's going to put a speed bump on GK's rebuilding... although I suppose they could afford to be generous to the gobwins now.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ComradeTaro View Post
    Ahh, good, that actually answers a question I had - I was wondering where new sides came from. We have a 'nearly lost' Plaid tribe, and a 'lost' Croatan tribe... presumably other tribes have been lost. With weaker sides getting eliminated, there would be a rapid consolidation of Erfworld under fewer and fewer sides, and that didn't seem to be happening.
    Actually, that's one question that has been answered: "Royal empires split off sometimes into new sides."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Actually, I meant in the sense of 'tribes' - otherwise, after sufficient time, Erfworld would be one giant civil war. There would be many sides, but they'd all be interrelated.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    Actually, that's one question that has been answered: "Royal empires split off sometimes into new sides."
    Obviously not the entire sotory. We already knew Jillian could go set up shop in an old city, so any other barbarian can. The presumption of some people was that only royals could become barbarians, but since barbarian warlords can pop without influence, new sides can set up pretty much anywhere there's adequate resources.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Makes sense. A random warlord comes upon a random tribe of gobwins. With leadership bonus and numbers combined, they rout some other tribes and eventually find a spot that either has an empty city, which they take possesion of, or a weak city that they take over, or a buildable site where they create a new city.

A side is born.
    NOGENERATION Aleph(0): Copy this into your sig and add or subtract 1 whenever you feel like it. This is a pointless experiment.

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
    . . . . . . Dr Pepper
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by pclips View Post

Natural allies pop more of their kind via moneymancy, converting Schmuckers directly to units. This is why they typically ally with a strong side that can pay them for their alliance, and/or they mine and farm and hunt and do various other money-making things in the wild.

So then, would you answer questions on a thread about what all the different types of magic do? Just asking, as magic is my favorite part of the comic.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Rogers
    "When I say it's you I like, I'm talking about that part of you that knows that life is far more than anything you can ever see or hear or touch. That deep part of you that allows you to stand for those things without which humankind cannot survive. Love that conquers hate, peace that rises triumphant over war, and justice that proves more powerful than greed."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother Teresa
    If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Presumably, if all the Gobwins were in range of the volcano, then they are now permanently dead?

It might be hard for Stanley to convince another group to join up with him

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I wonder... does Date-a-mancy affect number of units automatically spawned by a city?

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by raphfrk View Post
    Presumably, if all the Gobwins were in range of the volcano, then they are now permanently dead?

It might be hard for Stanley to convince another group to join up with him
    Most people would say that he beat the odds in a major way, or at least proved that anylne that messes with him gets seriously messed up. Everyone loves a winner.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Now, what I find intresting is the implications of naturally popping dwagons to me that is what the 'taming dwagons' means. Can recruit, yes, but also find in the wild and control. So this leaves open the possiblity that FAQ was wrecked by wild dwagons that Stanley was following and tamed after FAQ went barbarian, thus explaining Wanda's and the fool's presense in Gobwin Knob sans loyalty spells.

Eh, we all love our pet theories.

21. - Top - End - #21

Does anyone remember that I had set up a Q&A thread last year? Would anyone be adverse to that being brought back?
    Last edited by Justyn; 2009-04-30 at 10:53 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

We'll get this and other details codified and canon-ized in the wiki. Short answer: Cities have a limited menu of unit types they can produce. Gobwin Knob can pop most dwagon types, but couldn't produce, say, a gwiffon.
    so.......GK can produce most? so which ones cant they produce?

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by gcb001 View Post
    so.......GK can produce most? so which ones cant they produce?
    I'm certain Stanley would tell you, "The ones that don't matter."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Gummy Dragons
    Coco puff Dragons
    Pinata Dragons
    "If I could just interrupt your stunningly dysfunctional group dynamic for a moment to interject." -- Erfworld

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Easily-Killed-Dwagons are one of the types he decided not to nab.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

I'm incredibly pleased with the explanation we got about dwagons, not least because it matched what I expected. But all of this rules-talk.. I'm dying for a crack at this game now.

Well, I shall continue to read faithfully.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, I also want an Erfworld tabletop strategy game.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Troll View Post
    Yeah, I also want an Erfworld tabletop strategy game.
    So do I, as a lot of other people, I assume!
    And I would make it interesting to my player-group by combining it with laptop-chat (eyebooks), and loads of RP!
    This game would be Awesome!

It might be interesting if Stanley couldn't pop the red dwagons. That would explain why he's riding a big-strong-RED-dwagon. It's rare, and it's his!
    I'd really love some peace here, thank you!