New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 37 of 52 FirstFirst ... 12272829303132333435363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1548
  1. - Top - End - #1081
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Simple Q&A Pathfinder (By RAW) I

Well you also get to enchant it without having any requisite feats so it's not a useless piece of junk, but yes, bonded items only give you a free spell once per day. I think they were aiming for Item Familiars at Paizo but just failed to deliver entirely, and there's no real way to get more out of it (as you would by taking Improved Familiar if you chose to bond with a familiar). Personally, I'd go for a ring since you can have it on all the time and it's hard to lose, preferably one that's made exquisitely but otherwise inexpensive (i.e. not diamond-studded).

2. - Top - End - #1082
    Halfling in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So... all you get is an extra spell/day? In exchange for all your casting henceforth being item-reliant?

That's immensely disappointing if true. I'm going to take that one to the Paizo boards just to be certain.

Thanks for the clarification on Metamagic Mastery, I missed that it ended the performance.
    Wrong. Arcane bond is actually a lot more powerful because you are considered to have the proper magical item creation feat for the item (if you are at a high enough level to have the feat). So you only have to spend 1/2 the cost to enhance the item.

3. - Top - End - #1083
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wisp_Paladin View Post
    Wrong. Arcane bond is actually a lot more powerful because you are considered to have the proper magical item creation feat for the item (if you are at a high enough level to have the feat). So you only have to spend 1/2 the cost to enhance the item.
    No, not wrong. Wealth is DM/campaign dependent, so any class feature that depends on it for a benefit has inherent drawbacks. Especially one that makes a previously item-independent class become item-dependent. Hence, disappointing.

But rather than derail the rules thread further we can make one to discuss this if you wish.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

4. - Top - End - #1084
    Ogre in the Playground

Q507

That's more of a thread-question than a quick question, but the best way to screw over any incoming teleporters is to permanence the spell teleport trap, and then direct it over a pit of spikes o right over a sealed box of antimagic. Click the link for details.

Q508

By R.A.W, does Ant Haul stack with itself? It seems to be an untyped bonus, and it doesn't say anything against the effect...
    Last edited by Doorhandle; 2012-07-20 at 04:45 AM.
    Can't write. Can't plan. Can draw a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "In his free time, he gates in Balors just so he can kill and eat them later!"

5. - Top - End - #1085
    Bugbear in the Playground

MonkGuy

Q509

If you use a spell that is range: Touch and can target multiple friendly creatures, must all targets stand adjacent to you at the time of the casting or can you move your speed as part of the full round action to touch multiple targets?

The only ruling I have found on this reads as follows: Some touch spells allow you to touch multiple targets. You can touch up to 6 willing targets as part of the casting, but all targets of the spell must be touched in the same round that you finish casting the spell. If the spell allows you to touch targets over multiple rounds, touching 6 creatures is a full-round action.
    Last edited by Kudaku; 2012-07-20 at 05:46 AM.

6. - Top - End - #1086
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A508 To quote the rules verbatim:
    Bonuses without a type always stack, unless they are from the same source.
    A509 You've answered your own question. You can touch up to 6 willing targets as long as you do it in the same round. There's no other restrictions unless the spell allows you to touch targets over multiple rounds, as mentioned in the last sentence.

7. - Top - End - #1087
    Bugbear in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keneth View Post
    A509 You've answered your own question. You can touch up to 6 willing targets as long as you do it in the same round. There's no other restrictions unless the spell allows you to touch targets over multiple rounds, as mentioned in the last sentence.
    A509 continued
    I'm not sure if you understood the original question, I'm wondering if you can move your full speed and stop along the way to dole out friendly touch spells - essentially a spell version of spring attack: Say you have player A wanting to cast a communal resist energy spell on players B, C and D, placed on a line 10 feet away, 20 feet away and 30 feet away respectively. Assuming player A has the required speed to make the 30 feet dash, would he be able to move his speed and stop at intervals to place the spell at each of the other players?

My forum drawing skills are rubbish, but essentially a lineup like this:
    AxBxxCxD

8. - Top - End - #1088
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A509+ Like I said, no other limitations when you're touching willing targets, you can move around as much as you want, the charge holds until the end of the round (or until you cast another spell).

9. - Top - End - #1089
    Halfling in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kudaku View Post
    A509 continued
    I'm not sure if you understood the original question, I'm wondering if you can move your full speed and stop along the way to dole out friendly touch spells - essentially a spell version of spring attack: Say you have player A wanting to cast a communal resist energy spell on players B, C and D, placed on a line 10 feet away, 20 feet away and 30 feet away respectively. Assuming player A has the required speed to make the 30 feet dash, would he be able to move his speed and stop at intervals to place the spell at each of the other players?

My forum drawing skills are rubbish, but essentially a lineup like this:
    AxBxxCxD
    A509 continued
    Page 183 of the core rule book says that Using a touch spell to touch up to 6 friends is a full round action. Unless you have an ability that can allow you to move as a free or swift action(such as shift from the teleportation school for wizards), all that you can do is a 5ft move.
    Last edited by Wisp_Paladin; 2012-07-20 at 02:01 PM.

10. - Top - End - #1090
    Titan in the Playground

Q510: If I use an enchanted ranged weapon as an improvised melee weapon (for instance, swinging my musket like a club to stave something's head in), do I get the benefit of those enchantment bonuses on my attack and damage rolls?

11. - Top - End - #1091
    Barbarian in the Playground

A510
    Don't recall ever seeing anything specific about this, but I'll go with "yes", as the situation would be similar to someone not proficient in, say, a greatsword swinging a +1 flaming greatsword, don't think there's anything preventing that someone from enjoying the bonuses.

Even though both bonuses are considered different thing, there's enough overlap for the separated tables to be mostly for quick reference and ease of access than anything else. And, let's face it, it's magic, common sense is already out of the window in the snow freezing to death.

That said, you still incur the normal penalties for improvised weapons, depending on your DM interpretation enchantments such as flaming, shocking, etc might not be effective (if he rules these enchantments only affect the ammo) and he might throw in an extra rule for the weapon auto-sundering itself, since it wasn't in any way designed to be used like that.

12. - Top - End - #1092
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Wisp_Paladin View Post
    A509 continued
    Page 183 of the core rule book says that Using a touch spell to touch up to 6 friends is a full round action.
    While it's true that it's listed under full-round actions on that page, that's only true if the spell allows you to touch targets over multiple rounds, otherwise touching is part of the casting (i.e. it's not an individual action) and can be done at any time in the same round that you finish casting (see: p. 213). This has been quoted in the original Q509 post, did you even read it?

13. - Top - End - #1093
    Pixie in the Playground

Recent convert to Pathfinder, been playing 3.5 for ages.

I noticed that the Bestiary 1 has much fewer monsters with stats for PCs than the original 3.5 Monster Manual did. The doppelganger is one of these absentees. Kind of a pain for me, since it's generally my go to shape-shifter, and they can be leveled to match your party's APL without much hassle.

Q511
    So getting to the question part, is there any PF source for the doppelganger, or a similar shape-shifter in the form of a template, or base race?

14. - Top - End - #1094

Quote Originally Posted by IamPSI View Post
    Recent convert to Pathfinder, been playing 3.5 for ages.

I noticed that the Bestiary 1 has much fewer monsters with stats for PCs than the original 3.5 Monster Manual did. The doppelganger is one of these absentees. Kind of a pain for me, since it's generally my go to shape-shifter, and they can be leveled to match your party's APL without much hassle.

Q511
    So getting to the question part, is there any PF source for the doppelganger, or a similar shape-shifter in the form of a template, or base race?
    A 511 I'm not sure if the Doppelganger specifically is in it, but the recently released Advanced Race Guide has several new and updated playable "monster" races.
    (Sig by Elrond, Avatar by Recaiden)
    Check out my custom feat: Double Shield Wielder
    This actually happened in a game:
    Spoiler
    Show

DM:"The pope hits you with his rod of persuasion. Make a save."
    PLAYER: "Against what?"
    DM: "Catholicism!"

15. - Top - End - #1095
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by powerdemon View Post
    A 511 I'm not sure if the Doppelganger specifically is in it, but the recently released Advanced Race Guide has several new and updated playable "monster" races.
    Not a single mention of doppelgangers in the entire book. Though there are a few things that would help you create an analogue. Might just be worth it to convert the 3.5 one, but I dunno. Thanks anyway.

16. - Top - End - #1096
    Ettin in the Playground

A 511 additional

These are the generic "monsters as races" rules. They can be found here in the PF SRD; not quite sure where they are in the rulebooks, though I would expect it's somewhere in Bestiary I.

Monsters as PCs

Using one of the monsters presented in this book as a character can be very rewarding, but weighing such a character against others is challenging. Monsters are not designed with the rules for players in mind, and as such can be very unbalancing if not handled carefully.

There are a number of monsters in this book that do not possess racial Hit Dice. Such creatures are the best options for player characters, but a few of them are so powerful that they count as having 1 class level, even without a racial Hit Die. Such characters should only be allowed in a group that is 2nd-level or higher.

For monsters with racial Hit Dice, the best way to allow monster PCs is to pick a CR and allow all of the players to make characters using monsters of that CR. Treat the monster's CR as its total class levels and allow the characters to multiclass into the core classes. Do not advance such monsters by adding Hit Dice. Monster PCs should only advance through classes.

If you are including a single monster character in a group of standard characters, make sure the group is of a level that is at least as high as the monster's CR. Treat the monster's CR as class levels when determining the monster PC's overall levels. For example, in a group of 6th-level characters, a minotaur (CR 4) would possess 2 levels of a core class, such as barbarian.

Note that in a mixed group, the value of racial Hit Dice and abilities diminish as a character gains levels. It is recommended that for every 3 levels gained by the group, the monster character should gain an extra level, received halfway between the 2nd and 3rd levels. Repeat this process a number of times equal to half the monster's CR, rounded down. Using the minotaur example, when the group is at a point between 6th and 7th level, the minotaur gains a level, and then again at 7th, making him a minotaur barbarian 4. This process repeats at 10th level, making him a minotaur barbarian 8 when the group reaches 10th level. From that point onward, he gains levels normally.

GMs should carefully consider any monster PCs in their groups. Some creatures are simply not suitable for play as PCs, due to their powers or role in the game. As monster characters progress, GMs should closely monitor whether such characters are disruptive or abusive to the rules and modify them as needed to improve play.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

17. - Top - End - #1097

Q 512

Can a creature with a Climb speed charge while climbing?
    Rules that supersede Rule 0:

Rule -1: You're all there to have fun. The GM and the players should never do anything that would limit people's fun, for any in-game or real-life reason.

Rule -0.5 (corollary): That means that if someone's fun is getting in the way of other people's fun, that person needs to change how they're playing.

18. - Top - End - #1098

A512
    As far as I can tell, it's another of those "ask your DM" responses as the RAW or even RAI is cryptic.

From the rules in climb, it seems like you can, since it only specifically mentions that you can't do the run action and, since they're being specific, seems weird that they'd let charge out if it were also illegal.

From the rules on charge however, there is the bit that mentions that you "You must have a clear path toward the opponent, and nothing can hinder your movement (such as difficult terrain or obstacles)", and having to climb might be considered an obstacle, even if you have climbspeed.

Personally, my interpretation is that yes, you can, however it can't be any sort of surface with a DC that you wouldn't beat by choosing 10.

19. - Top - End - #1099
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Q513- The rules for intelligence state that no creature with intelligence above three can be an animal. Does mean that it is impossible to boost an animal's intelligence past that point (such as by use of a magic item), or does the creature's type change with the boost?

20. - Top - End - #1100
    Dwarf in the Playground

A513

Though it's from Pathfinder Society...
    Quote Originally Posted by PFS FAQ
    Can I improve my companion’s Intelligence to 3 or higher and give it weapon feats?
    No. An Intelligence of 3 does not grant animals sentience, the ability to use weapons or tools, speak a language (though they may understand one with a rank in Linguistics; this does not grant literacy), or activate magic devices. Also note that raising an animal companion’s Intelligence to 3 or higher does not eliminate the need to make Handle Animal checks to direct its actions; even semi-intelligent animals still act like animals unless trained not to. An animal with Intelligence of 3 or higher remains a creature of the animal type unless its type is specifically changed by another ability. An animal may learn 3 additional tricks per point of Intelligence above 2.
    In short, an animal with an Intelligence higher than 2 will remain an Animal (and not become a Magical Beast) until some other variable is factored in. Though...I'll see if I can find the relevant non-PFS post for that.

[Edit]
    Found it.
    Last edited by Baka Nikujaga; 2012-07-23 at 02:50 AM.
    I should add something more productive here...

21. - Top - End - #1101
    Orc in the Playground

Q514

What are the fly checks necessary to dive/charge straight up, and is the max distance covered your movement speed or double it?

22. - Top - End - #1102
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A514 The way I see it, there's no way to make an aerial charge at an angle of more than 45 degrees since each square (or cube rather) costs two squares of movement, essentially hampering your movement much like difficult terrain. Diving straight down only requires a check to turn your direction (e.g. DC 15 and 5 feet of movement to turn 90 degrees from horizontal to downwards) and you can technically move up to four times your flight speed since going down costs only half as much movement.

23. - Top - End - #1103
    Titan in the Playground

Q 515

Alchemist extracts affect only the alchemist. Eyebite is a 6th level Alchemist formula, which has negative effects on those it targets (sickened, panicked, etc.). Can an Alchemist target other creatures with this formula, or is an Alchemist who uses it the only one affected (and hence sickened or the like)?
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

24. - Top - End - #1104
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A515 Eyebite is poorly defined. What the spell actually does, whether you cast it or "drink" it, is give you the ability to target others with special effects. The devs probably didn't know how to cram all the relevant info into the stat block, since you'd actually need two, one for the ability it grants you, and one for the effects in bestows upon targeted creatures.

RAW makes it so you can't actually target anyone but yourself, but RAI in this case is like this:

Eyebite (Ability)
    Range personal
    Target you
    Duration 1 round/level
    Saving Throw none; Spell Resistance no

Eyebite (Effect)
    Range close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
    Target one living creature
    Duration see text
    Saving Throw Foritude negates; Spell Resistance yes

25. - Top - End - #1105

A515+
    Also do note that, without the Infusion discovery, only the Alchemist is affected by the "drinker" or "caster" effect of the extracts, so if an extract affects more creatures (such as the Communal spells or Haste) it should work as normal, and in such cases the only advantage of having Infusion is being able to let someone else drink the extract to activate it.

26. - Top - End - #1106
    Ettin in the Playground

q516

Could specialist Wizard with UMD use "emulate a class feature" to use an Amulet of Magecraft? Arcane School is listed under class features for the Wizard.

Q517
    Can Guidance be used on a craft check? Crafter's Fortune's text seems to support that the the roll is made at the start and the bonus needs to only be one time only (otherwise it is useless or useless at level 1-6).
    Last edited by deuxhero; 2012-07-29 at 07:30 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1107
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Larpus View Post
    A515+ [...]so if an extract affects more creatures (such as the Communal spells or Haste) it should work as normal[...]
    Actually, haste only affects the drinker, while communal spells do in fact work as intended because sharing the duration by touch is explicitly part of the spell's effect.

A516 Generally I would say yes, but this is a bonded object, as a GM I wouldn't allow it. Otherwise it's a DC 20 UMD check every hour for the rest of your career, but since you can't take 10 on UMD checks, you'd fail at least once on the very first day, and the bond would be broken.

A517 The general rule of thumb is that the effect must last for the duration of the crafting in order for you to use it (hero points exempt). Strictly by RAW however, mundane crafting check are made at the start (since the duration depends on the check), while magic crafting checks are made once you're done. This is why crafter's fortune has such a long duration, and guidance does not.

28. - Top - End - #1108

SwashbucklerGuy

Q518 - When casting a spell with a cast time of immediate action, you do not provoke an AoO. Do you also suffer from Arcane spell failiure for wearing armour ?
    If not where are the rules that say this ?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Milo - I know what you are thinking Ork, has he fired 5 shots or 6, well as this is a wand of scorching ray, the most powerful second level wand in the world. What you have to ask your self is "Do I feel Lucky", well do you, Punk.
    Galkin - Erm Milo, wands have 50 charges not 6.
    Milo - NEATO !!
    BLAST

29. - Top - End - #1109
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A518 Quicken Spell does not remove any of the spell's components, it only allows you to cast the spell faster. To cast a spell without incurring ASF chance, you need to use Still Spell.

30. - Top - End - #1110

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keneth View Post
    A518 Quicken Spell does not remove any of the spell's components, it only allows you to cast the spell faster. To cast a spell without incurring ASF chance, you need to use Still Spell.
    It wasn't a quickened spell it was infact a spell that has a cast time of imediate action already (think feather fall). I only ask as I found a table saying these spells do not provoke an AoO, so was just checking if I had missed some rule saying they also had no ASF.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Milo - I know what you are thinking Ork, has he fired 5 shots or 6, well as this is a wand of scorching ray, the most powerful second level wand in the world. What you have to ask your self is "Do I feel Lucky", well do you, Punk.
    Galkin - Erm Milo, wands have 50 charges not 6.
    Milo - NEATO !!
    BLAST