New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: World War Z (the film)

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    What? PSY isn't a nobody. He's working with Ban Ki Moon. Sure, he's an entertainer but his talk is about success and music and a ton of other things he actually knows about. So...ya. Not sure what your point is. This is exactly the kind of talk college age kids need.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tebryn View Post
    What? PSY isn't a nobody. He's working with Ban Ki Moon. Sure, he's an entertainer but his talk is about success and music and a ton of other things he actually knows about. So...ya. Not sure what your point is. This is exactly the kind of talk college age kids need.
    I was attempting to refute your implication that universities only permitted well learned and academically renowned people to give talks.

Not to belittle Psy's accomplishments (I agree that he's exactly the sort of person that uni students, especially English ones, would go listen to), but his biggest success to date has been what was originally intended to be a novelty record.
    I don't remember Los del Rio, best known for the Macarena, going on college speaking tours.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

That wasn't my point though. My point was that they don't let every Jim, Bob and Harry give talks at University. You have to have accomplished something to get up and talk to potentially tens of thousands of students.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Just watched the trailer. It just did not make sense to me. Zombie land and dawn of the dead had viral super human rabies plague zombies and it made sense. Particularly with the populations of cities and what not. This is just a bunch of CGI created zombies that kept on multiplying with no rime or reason.

Now if this movie was about super mutant army ants the size of people this would totally make sense. Think Them but with bigger ants.

Granted I'm just going on the images I saw in the trailer. Ants would be cool and I can see how the movie would play out. This is just crap.
    Last edited by Hawriel; 2012-11-14 at 10:31 PM.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hawriel View Post
    Just watched the trailer. It just did not make sense to me. Zombie land and dawn of the dead had viral super human rabies plague zombies and it made sense. Particularly with the populations of cities and what not. This is just a bunch of CGI created zombies that kept on multiplying with no rime or reason.

Now if this movie was about super mutant army ants the size of people this would totally make sense.
    mmm...
    Maybe WWZ stands for WWantZ? and the CGI is made by Dreamworks?
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    Your first objection:
    Zombies are immune to a good amount of effect of tank's fire. It is explained why as part of the setting. In media, some zombies are fast, some are intellingent, some got superpowers. Brooks' ones are particulary resilient to bombing. It's simple as that.
    BTW, the previous version of the official NATO cal, received criticism for the poor performance of the bullet on target, especially the first-shot kill rate when the muzzle velocity of the firearms used and the downrange bullet deceleration didn't achieve the minimally required terminal velocity at the target to cause fragmentation. This failure also occured when the bullets passed through only minimal tissue, such as a limb or the torso of a small individual (or a zombie with poor muscolar tissue, I would add), as the bullet may exit the body before it has a chance to yaw and fragment.

Your second objection:
    Military with problems with ammo, facing great number of enemies? It already happened.
    Possible, but you seem to have willfully forgotten Rouke Drift which happened on the heel of that battle. A company of the same British Regiment that had been decimated held off the same Zulu army by itself form a fortified position.

So, all the US army would need would be to overturn a number of cars, or just use their tanks, to block the streets. Ammo can be flown in by air and all the grunts have to do is shoot.
    Thanks to Kpenguin for the Superb Avatar.

Deathwatch Characters
    Sven Carlson, Alistayr
    Tristan Weylin, Mikael
    Master of the Forge, Hephaestus Faust, Gwain

7. - Top - End - #127
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Ceridan View Post
    Possible, but you seem to have willfully forgotten Rouke Drift which happened on the heel of that battle. A company of the same British Regiment that had been decimated held off the same Zulu army by itself form a fortified position.

So, all the US army would need would be to overturn a number of cars, or just use their tanks, to block the streets. Ammo can be flown in by air and all the grunts have to do is shoot.
    Isn't that the one they made the movie about?

8. - Top - End - #128
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Isn't that the one they made the movie about?
    They made a movie about each.

Rorke's Drift: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058777/
    Isandlwana: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080180/
    Thanks to Kpenguin for the Superb Avatar.

Deathwatch Characters
    Sven Carlson, Alistayr
    Tristan Weylin, Mikael
    Master of the Forge, Hephaestus Faust, Gwain

9. - Top - End - #129
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

They made a movie about each.

Rorke's Drift: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058777/
    Isandlwana: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080180/
    Huh. I'd only ever seen Zulu, I didn't know Zulu Dawn existed.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Well, if truth must be said, I willfully ignored it, because (imo) it was not the point. I’m perfectly aware that we can have many Rorke's Drift… my point was that you can still have one Isandlwana. Yonkers is about Isandlwana, so, from this PoV, is plausible (sort of). But then, we should have plenty of successful Rorke's Drift.

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Huh. I'd only ever seen Zulu, I didn't know Zulu Dawn existed.
    I recommend it.

EDIT:
    Now, a light note.

A company of the same British Regiment that had been decimated held off the same Zulu army by itself form a fortified position.
    So, all the US army would need would be to overturn a number of cars, or just use their tanks, to block the streets.
    But they're US army! not English!
    to cite Darths and Droids:
    If attempting to defend an impossible position with bowmen and knights on foot against Genoese crossbowmen and tens of thousands of armoured, mounted knights, make sure you are heavily outnumbered.
    If attempting to repel a force of cavalry and men-at-arms with longbowmen on St Crispin's Day, make sure you are vastly outnumbered.
    If defending a hospital stockade against Zulus, make sure you are enormously outnumbered.

If you face an overwhelming force with a paltry number of defenders, make sure the defenders are English!
    Last edited by Killer Angel; 2012-11-16 at 05:55 AM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Spoiler
    Show
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    If you face an overwhelming force with a paltry number of defenders, make sure the defenders are English!
    Actually that quirk of the British Army was picked up in a German assessment of our forces during WW2 - good quality equipment and training, tenacious in defence, poorly led.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

"The British soldier can stand up to anything except the British War Office"

George Bernard Shaw
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

13. - Top - End - #133
    Bugbear in the Playground

The trailer looks stupid. Zombies can't run, their legs would break.
    Ceika is a beautiful, wonderful person. The avatar was made by his/her great talent, and depending on his/her sex and sexuality, I either have a giant crush or a totally appropriate liking for him/her.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Well, fresh zombies could run.

But a key element of zombie fiction is that they don't repair damage the way living people do, and what most people forget is that using your muscles to any degree actually damages them (which is why people who do bodybuilding eat lots of protein and build in rest periods to allow their bodies to rebuild damaged muscle), so a zombie which runs around is eventually just going to cripple itself even without any obvious external damage, because the muscle fibers are too torn and useless to do any actual work.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    "The British soldier can stand up to anything except the British War Office"

George Bernard Shaw

BTW, isn't GBS the one who said "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing"?
    It's one of the best quotes for all roleplayers!
    Do I contradict myself?

Spoiler
    Show