New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default GitP Prestige Class Contest Chat Thread

Welcome to the Giant in the Playground Prestige Class Contest chat thread where you can ask questions, comment, or just in general discuss about the submissions to this competition.

The current contest is...

Bow down to my Fist!

Past contests:
    It's Elementary!
    The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Waste
    Champion of the Common Man
    My Faith is Unswerving
    We Band of Brothers
    Soul Power!
    Test My Sword, Meet Your End
    Last edited by dman11235; 2009-01-09 at 11:52 PM.
    My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help? Want to see what I've done? Want to see what others have done well? Check it out.

Join the PrC creation contest!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by DonThelonious
    ...But you have never given any bad advice as far as I have seen. Not to mention, unlike some other people I see around here, you actually know what your talking about.

Trust dman11235.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: GitP Prestige Class Contest Chat Thread

Hey, is it ok if I submit a character?
    Its the first time I've made one so I don't know if it'll be very good, but its worth a shot
    I choose you Spiritchu!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

I'm still working on the details of mine...Tweaking the mechanic...playtesting it...all that jazz...this is fun!

"I laugh at life, it's antics make for me a giddy game. Where only foolish fellows take themselves with solemn aim.”

4. - Top - End - #4

Of course you can submit one! that's the whole idea here, you submit a PrC to the contest.
    My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help? Want to see what I've done? Want to see what others have done well? Check it out.

Spoiler
    Show
    ...But you have never given any bad advice as far as I have seen. Not to mention, unlike some other people I see around here, you actually know what your talking about.

Trust dman11235.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm... would a frontline tactician qualify as weapon-focused enough for this contest?

6. - Top - End - #6

Depends, do you focus on using a sword? So the answer is a "maybe". If you are a front line tactician that focuses on swordplay, then yes. If not, then you might want to wait for one of the next ones (a contest every month!)

Spoiler
    Show

Trust dman11235.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

The class focuses primarily on tactics rather than swordplay. Seems like I'll have to wait.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

What's the deadline?
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bisected8 View Post
    What's the deadline?
    Let DMan himself tell you (forgive the pun):

Quote Originally Posted by dman11235 View Post
    The contest begins with the posting of this thread and will run through midnight of June 20th.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

I WONDERED where this contest went...
    Big thanks to Kwarkpudding for my Gladiator Tam Avatar!
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars: Xssar, Mechafox, Andre_Fairechilde, Moi

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

So, any word what the theme of the next contest is going to be? I have PrC that i'm dying to enter, but it won't fit this month's theme...
    Big thanks to Kwarkpudding for my Gladiator Tam Avatar!
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars: Xssar, Mechafox, Andre_Fairechilde, Moi

12. - Top - End - #12

I'm not sure I should reveal that. It would give an unfair advantage. Though who knows? It might be the right style.

Spoiler
    Show

Trust dman11235.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Save the re veiling till the next contest, i'm still working on mine for thsi contest...please anyway. I don't want to add more to my plate...

"I laugh at life, it's antics make for me a giddy game. Where only foolish fellows take themselves with solemn aim.”

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

Before I submit the class that I've drawn up, I just wanted to ask...

A person who seeks to excel on the battlefield in D&D, not too different from medieval Europe, will usually use a sword, correct?

I ask because the prestige class I've made, Battlepith Soldier, should be able to work just fine for characters wielding greatswords, greataxes, or even longspears, glaives, and halberds. But greatswords are definitely what most of us would think when looking at the flavor of the class.

Thanks,
    -JP

Edit: well I got ambitious and just made and posted the class anyway. So feel free to judge it swordy enough or not at your discretion. I kinda like it, though.
    Last edited by JGPyre; 2008-06-12 at 11:51 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

Also, Dman... thanks for the sweet profile links.

I've been going over the Fighter Variant that Seerow uses and am totally captivated.

Although I feel like there's a bit too much in his build, the Styles and Stances may be exactly what I'm looking for in my fighters. In fact it builds well on the feeling of fighters that I usually see around.

Also: For my class that I submitted, they gain Combat Expertise at 1st level for two reasons. The first is that it's a trick that makes sense they would pick up from fighting multiple opponents simultaneously, especially those with low AC. But just as importantly, and more esoterically, Combat Expertise is a requirement to take a Fighting Style in my setting. Gaining CE as a bonus feat allows characters who may not have the study skills (Read: intelligence) to devote themselves to a fighting style to still pick one up through constant conflict.

Should I simply post rules for fighting styles and how they work in my variant (roughly adapted from Quintessential Fighter but with a bit of homebrew and I imagine soon to be a twist of Tome of Battle), or should I link to it?

PS: I also really like Seerow's little ability that lets the fighter add 1/2 his level to a stat to determine feat prereqs, because that's another great way for my fighters to get CE, they just have to wait a bit longer... it's perfect!

-JP
    Last edited by JGPyre; 2008-06-13 at 07:15 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

Curse the lack of multi-quote!

Quote Originally Posted by JGPyre View Post
    Before I submit the class that I've drawn up, I just wanted to ask...

A person who seeks to excel on the battlefield in D&D, not too different from medieval Europe, will usually use a sword, correct?
    Well, a person who seeks to excel on the battlefield can do so many a way, especially in fantasy with magic. This contest is specifically designed for sword masters though. So long, great, bastard, short...falchion even. Or just general to sword.

I ask because the prestige class I've made, Battlepith Soldier, should be able to work just fine for characters wielding greatswords, greataxes, or even longspears, glaives, and halberds. But greatswords are definitely what most of us would think when looking at the flavor of the class.
    The contest is for sword masters, so it's a little more specific than that, though you might try your luck since "sword" is a pretty general term.

Also, Dman... thanks for the sweet profile links.

I've been going over the Fighter Variant that Seerow uses and am totally captivated.
    ...what? Linked...in my profile? I don't recall linking any fighter fixes in my profile...I'm confused?

Also: For my class that I submitted, they gain Combat Expertise at 1st level for two reasons. The first is that it's a trick that makes sense they would pick up from fighting multiple opponents simultaneously, especially those with low AC. But just as importantly, and more esoterically, Combat Expertise is a requirement to take a Fighting Style in my setting. Gaining CE as a bonus feat allows characters who may not have the study skills (Read: intelligence) to devote themselves to a fighting style to still pick one up through constant conflict.

Should I simply post rules for fighting styles and how they work in my variant (roughly adapted from Quintessential Fighter but with a bit of homebrew and I imagine soon to be a twist of Tome of Battle), or should I link to it?
    I am using 3.5 rules for this, no exceptions. If you add it as a class feature, then I wouldn't be able to stop you. But note that it would be restricted to that class only. Also, why should I care if you give them a bonus feat at 1st level? It's your class, you're making it. It's part of the design. It will be judge by your peers.

Also, I don't think I've ever even seen Seerow's fighter variant, I tend to stay away from fixes. Still confused.

Spoiler
    Show

Trust dman11235.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

Hmm.. **** you're right. I thought that I found it through that "haversack" link in your sig. Must have gotten to it some other way. Strange that I can't remember at all how I found it. I think it must have been through some of the "How to create a good class" links at the top of the contest. Meh, doesn't matter anymore.. sorry for the confusion.

In any case, the clarification about 3.5 is certainly relevant. The reason that I brought up the bonus feat is that it only truly makes thematic sense with the class if I include the information on Fighting Styles. However, since I don't use them as a class feature, they will have to be left out of this build.

I think the class should still hold up well enough to scrutiny, though, even in a somewhat incomplete form. (winning, of course, is another matter entirely.)

18. - Top - End - #18

You should include flavor with your class, and if the feat makes sense for the flavor, then all is good. If the feat doesn't make sense for the flavor, then it shouldn't be there, even with your combat style thing, as it sounds like those are extra-class abilities. Take this as advice for your non-contest PrC as well. Don't have things that don't make sense.

Spoiler
    Show

Trust dman11235.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dman11235 View Post
    You should include flavor with your class, and if the feat makes sense for the flavor, then all is good. If the feat doesn't make sense for the flavor, then it shouldn't be there, even with your combat style thing, as it sounds like those are extra-class abilities. Take this as advice for your non-contest PrC as well. Don't have things that don't make sense.
    I'm certainly well aware of this dogma. The concept that I was trying to get across (perhaps poorly worded) was that the class ability only makes sense in the context of my homebrew variant (hence the decision to cut it in this contest but also justifying its presence in my original).

In regard to extra-class abilities, I believe that they can add an incredible amount of spice or sweetness to a class. I use this Fighting Style variant that allows martial characters some additional abilities. The reason that Fighting Styles are an extra-class ability is that they are something that characters of many different paths (Ranger, Paladin, Fighter, various PrCs) can and will take, so instead of making a variant for every martial class, it became considerably easier and made more sense to me to make the system extra-class. Point being: just because it's not ingrained into the class stat block doesn't mean that it's not an important part of what the class is in the setting I've crafted.

That said, again I appreciate your clarification to me concerning the contest. I'm sorry for causing the initial confusion, because I thought you were aware of this fighter variant that has some elements of Fighting Styles... so my post made that assumption and looking at it without that is quite nonsensical.

On a separate note: I was thinking about a good way to evaluate the entries. Depending on how many we have submitted, I was thinking that a reviewing process might be in order.

In science when you submit a grant for approval, at the big roundtable where everyone votes, two people have been assigned to each grant, and provide some background, a review, and their careful judgement on it, with 1.0 being the best and 5.0 being the worst.

Perhaps the atomosphere here is constructive enough that each participant (or perhaps just those that volunteer) could be assigned to review like 2 of the PrCs before the voting begins, so that a summary of what the class is and some of the elegant points about it (from the allegedly enlightened ranks of the creators/entrants) to assist voters in their decisions.

Just a thought

Peace.
    Last edited by JGPyre; 2008-06-13 at 11:17 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

I like the flavour of the Hulking Blade (and the others too), but the Crushing Attack 8th level ability needs to be altered, else the Shock Trooper feat turns it into an infinite damage attack. Admittedly with your infinitely low AC you'll be hit by pretty much every attack aimed your way, but if your blow connects then it's game over for the opponent.
    A one worm armoury. Proficient with none of it.

Lorr Cordasco, Telepath, Lost and Gone Forever

GiTP Murder game

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Oog, I finally finished by submission. I'm not sure why I did so, though... That was far too much work. X_X Ah well, at least it's done.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

I think mine is done, i'll be tweaking it till the deadline. But I belive it is done.

Eurus, yours is sooooo being swagged for my swashbuckling campaign...

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, I'm happy someone is getting some use out of it. ^_^

Anyway, I wanted to inquire as to the status of the Swordforged submission. It seems to be decidedly unfinished, but it's listed in the voting thread. Does that mean people can still vote for it, then?

24. - Top - End - #24

If it's unfinished, it's DQ'd. I haven't actually looked at many of the submissions yet, I'm working on that now. I sort of just blindly put all of the submissions in there (I actually almost put that one non-PrC post in there, post 5 or so).

Spoiler
    Show

Trust dman11235.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Heh, makes sense. Anyway, I was just checking, so thanks for the clear-up.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

So how long will the voting be going on?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

I believe he said it closes July 1st, so plenty of time for lots of votes. You hear me, people? Get out there and vote! For me!
    Last edited by Eurus; 2008-06-20 at 06:01 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Looks like noble blade is gunna win. Unless some last minet votes get in on this. Oh well...YAAAY..or somesuch.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Wow, that was a big jump. Dang, that's like three votes for the Spirit Champion since the last time I logged on! XD

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Wow, awesome. I have friends in nerdy places it seems.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf