New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

eek Why do I have extremely weird dreams almost every night?

For some odd reason, almost every night I have dreams that make almost no sense whatsoever. This isn't a complaint, as these dreams are a great source of entertainment to me and my friends.
    However, it does leave me wondering why I do have such strange dreams.

For example,
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last night's dream featured George Lucas taking alien money by accident after finishing Return Of The Jedi (We were also on a spaceship). I then make a joke about episode 3, but no-one understands it because episode 3 wasn't released at the time.

It then shifts to the game Terraria (Still inside the spaceship), where I realise that you have the option to manage your troops and fuse items (There are no troops in Terraria). Also, the landscape looks like it was drawn by M.C. Escher. I spend hours sorting out my items, but then corruption falls on the house and deletes all my items. I then quit the game (despite being the character in the game).

Something happened after that which I don't really recall, but what I do remember is doing a quiz about France (in the spaceship!), which was on TV live . Then the Playstation Hackers hack Russia and nuke France. I knew it was France because the Eiffel Tower was in the background.

After that I get a preview of the new Order of the Stick book. It starts with Belkars origin story, where he pretty much jumps around some hills killing other halflings with a chicken leg (?). It also looks like Terraria again.

After that we get Elan's Origin story. Elan talks about something for a while. Then I get sent back in time ( Me, not Elan, is sent back in time. It is still part of the preview.) Something in a swamp happens, then I meet my dad, little brother and my little sister. They are all the same age somehow. With them is my dad's brother's dog, and that dog's brother, who died before my siblings were even born. It was now inexplicably a red poodle.

Me, my brother and my sister are then given instructions, involving more nukes and Russians. We are then sneaking though a scientific facility avoiding plants which are trying to kill us, and real life Pokemon. Suddenly, a fire breathing duck attacks one of my siblings and they get 'downed', as if it were Nazi zombies mode. I try to save him but I get caught by Mr Cooper, a teacher from my school who is in charge of my year. (In charge of my grade, If your American.)

Mr Cooper gives the three of us one of his infamous speeches, which drone on forever, mention death a lot and try to be funny, but fail and actually become funny at how not funny it was. He also drops hints that he may be a double agent.

I then wake up, and spend 10 minutes just lying there, trying to make sense of it.

TL;DR version:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spaceship, George Lucas, Joke from future, Terraria RTS, MC Escher, Ragequit, PSN hackers Nuke France, New OotS book is basically otOotPCs, BELKAR CHICKEN LEG TERRARIA MASSACRE! Book sends me back in time. Everyone is the same age. Dead dog is alive and and is a poodle now, Secret base, Evil Russians, Killer plants, Real Pokemon, FIRE BREATHING DUCK! Caught by teacher, Gets told off, Teacher is double agent, wakes up.

This isn't even the weirdest of my dreams.

If someone could tell me why people have weird dreams, that would be great. Also, feel free to share your own crazy dreams. I want to know whether other people have dreams like mine.

And finally, with dreams as strange as mine, the nightmares are as scary as hell.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Everything is made of human flesh. To move from one place to another, you have to rip through flesh, blood and bones. There is no sound.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Why do I have extremely weird dreams almost every night?

Your nightmares sound like Saya no Uta sans Saya.
    Also the subconscious is insane, it may be related to something or completely random, so don't try to explain it.
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

You sound like me! By which I mean, I used to have dreams on that level of weirdness all the time. The dream you told us from last night would be sort of a baseline level of weirdness for my dreams.

Unfortunately, I never write down any dreams except VERY RARELY ones that actually do make sense, so now I don't remember any of them. I haven't had any really interesting dreams lately, unfortunately. Do know that you are not alone. I think people who are heavily creative tend to have more bizarre dreams.

I've had dreams featuring aliens, fish, water-filled sunrooms, snow-covered hills turning into landscape-covering fountains, strangers parking trucks in our yard (we live nowhere near any major roads), monsters, family members, real-life people I know who may or may not be themselves, people I know very well in my dreams but don't exist in real life, body-switching, me having magic (especially flight; that's recurring), various video games, various TV shows, Order of the Stick, school, college, magic super-villains, me being every major character in the "story" of my dream, and much more.

Sometimes dreams feature most of those in the same dream. I had one dream that was surprisingly coherent for most of it, but was rather outlandish in many places, that I dictated to a recorder afterward. It was one of my really emotional dreams. It took like thirty minutes to dictate, so I haven't bothered to write it down yet. I had it... like 2 years ago now? I'll give a brief summary later after I track down and listen to the recording, so that might not be for a couple days (I have work and stuff). It's...a very interesting dream. Doesn't really fit in this "extremely weird" category, but I can't really remember any of those since it's been a while. Will post one if I have one, though.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Your dreams are telling you to become the hero that you can be.
    To see the world in a grain of sand
    and Heaven in a wild flower
    To hold infinity in the palm of your hand
    and eternity in an hour.

- William Blake, Auguries of Innocence

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboyinc View Post
    And finally, with dreams as strange as mine, the nightmares are as scary as hell.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Everything is made of human flesh. To move from one place to another, you have to rip through flesh, blood and bones. There is no sound.
    that sounds awesome
    maybe it means you are going to turn into a dog worm

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ah, that kind of weird dream.

Other weird dreams:
    Spoiler
    Show
    My latest one involved both of my parents being part of a government agency no one's ever heard of, with myself having been brought along. (My younger brother was inexplicably missing). The entirety of the dream took place in a base of some sort. Or rather, I should hope so, as it had no windows, had a weird yellow lighting, and no exit.

My dream decided to take a strange, Inception-esque twist, though. At random points in the day, I would pass/phase out, and in that dream-within-a-dream, I was in my backyard, pacing back-and-forth (a usual practice of mine), and mentally constructing a medley of rock songs. I forget what the first one was, but it segued into Don't Stop Believing by Journey, which then segued into Falling Down by Oasis.

Afterwards, my mother woke me up in what appeared to be the bases' bunkers, and I tiredly lumbered over to the observation panel to chat with my dad. On screen were two men dress like the TF2 RED team running through a forest. And then I passed out again.

I passed out so many times, my dream self started getting very irritated at the fact that I was wasting my entire summer unconscious. Ironically, that's about when I woke up for real.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Old Avatar by PersonalSaivor.

Ponytar by akrim.elf

Quote Originally Posted by The Lost Eyeball
    Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery Diamond View Post
    I've had dreams featuring... real-life people I know who may or may not be themselves, people I know very well in my dreams but don't exist in real life...
    That just reminded me of something that happened somewhere between the Terraria section and the new OotS book section. I was talking to someone who I had never met before in real life, and my best friend Connah. I kept calling the other person Connah, and apparently he was also a best friend.
    As a result, I couldn't remember what the real Connah's name was, because I knew that I knew only 1 person called Connah.

Last night, I had another weird dream.

An extended driving sequence was involved somewhere but I don't remember where.

Spoiler
    Show
    It involves the OotS switching to a semi-realistic style and becoming animated in certain parts (which has happened before in a dream), a mysterious person hiding behind a blue light which characters talked to as if it were a confession camera in a reality TV show. He seemed to be a purple anime style ninja. He granted Elan super powers and turned him into a plush doll. The ninja guy is revealed to be evil.

Suddenly, I am on the Titanic with my family. We are also just off the coast of the town we live in. The ship starts sinking but we get in a lifeboat. Suddenly, I am back on the Titanic. I ask the captain if he can drop me off at the lighthouse and he says yes (despite the fact that we are still sinking). The lighthouse is now our home for some reason.
    The captain also reveals that Thog was among those who drowned on the Titanic three months ago. (despite the fact that the ship is still sinking as we speak). I conclude that something is very wrong as Thog would have to be in two places at once.

Something happens and suddenly everyone is in a swirly thing in space. Also everyone is 2D now. Vegeta and that guy that get Falcon Punched in that Captain Falcon Anime are also there. Something else happens then it goes into a flashback.

Phineas and Ferb did something involving 27 cents on the Titanic. End of flashback. To get on the Titanic 2.0, they need to have 11 cents, but they only have 1. They decide to do a '2 cent coin stealing dance' to get the rest of the money. They do that and start climbing the platform onto the titanic. It is then revealed that the guy who owns the Titanic 2.0 is the evil ninja guy. he breaks the thing they are climbing with either a sap or a mallet and knocks them out to get their money (why he would want 11 cents is never explained).

There is a meadow on the Titanic 2.0.

Rice-balls then start to pile up into pyramids. then I wake up.

Is my subconscious trying to tell me something?

8. - Top - End - #8

Is my subconscious trying to tell me something?
    You watch too much television?
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Old Avatar by PersonalSaivor.

Ponytar by akrim.elf

Quote Originally Posted by The Lost Eyeball
    Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.

9. - Top - End - #9

One night, before a science test, I had a dream that I woke up. Various weird things happened, but I don't remember them. Then I had another dream where I woke up and there was some sort of monster? Again, I woke up in a dream, saw this huge window in front of my bed with this creepy looking tree outside. I said "Screw you subconscious!" and tried falling back to sleep.
    Last edited by Pie Guy; 2011-06-12 at 11:33 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheLaughingMan View Post
    You watch too much television?
    Rice-ball pyramids on a medow in the Titanic 2.0 = too much tv?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Obligatory link

A few nights ago I had a dream about fighting dinosaurs with a Portal gun.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

all i know about weird dreams was that i once had a dream about a huskie who was called Peyton Manning because he wore his jersey. The dog would open his mouth and these little yellow balls of energy would come out...
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

13. - Top - End - #13

Are you on a SSRI? Those will screw your dreams up really well. Trust me.
    Character Stats

Phoenixineohp avatar by Trog!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Or a smoker trying to quit. Nicotine patches give really vivid, weird dreams. So can beta-blockers for some reason.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixineohp
    Are you on a SSRI? Those will screw your dreams up really well. Trust me.

Originally Posted by Asta Kask
    Or a smoker trying to quit. Nicotine patches give really vivid, weird dreams. So can beta-blockers for some reason.
    I never even knew what SSRI were until I just googled it now.

And I've Never smoked, never will.

Unless an eccentric billionaire offers me a large sum of money. But only then.

Also, I remembered what I consider the weirdest dream I've ever had was.

Spoiler
    Show
    It started with me discovering that Rich Berlew created a prequel strip to OotS several years before the real strip started. I can't remember exactly what happened in it but I'm sure it would make an excellent crackfic.

Me and my mum found out that Adolf Hitler Survived World War Two by turning himself into a chocolate coin. Somehow. The world's rarest coin is also printed on it. We make a plan to find Hitler and sell him on Ebay .

We go to the island where he is and go into the Chinese restaurant. I vaguely remember the owner being a bunny in a cage.
    We figure out which coin is Hitler because he was slowly sliding away, trying to escape.

Now for the confusing part. For the rest of the dream, Hitler is a chocolate coin. However, half the time, he is a white chocolate Minstrel at the same time. Even if he is a Minstrel at the time, we still act as if he was a chocolate coin. In addition, even when I accidentally break the top half of the minstrel, I worry that the coin won't be worth as much. In all scenes after that, when he looks like a coin, the foil is creased around the top. However, while the inside of the minstrel melts, the chocolate coin doesn't.

So we get a ride home on a pirate ship. Instead of storing their treasure (which we never had before that scene, yet we helped them to obtain) in the ship, we stored it in five smaller ships which we towed along behind us.

The ship was divided into two sides: A Russian side and an American side. (Russians seem to be a recurring element in my dreams, along with time not making sense and Nazi zombies.) The Russians kept jumping up and down on their side of the ship, despite us warning them not to. This (somehow) causes one of the boats of treasure to sink.

We get out the boat at King's Cross Station (??!) and they give us some treasure. We then start diving home. In the journey, the car starts to turn pink and my mum turns into Marge Simpson(?!?!?)

In this crazy dream universe, in the opening to the Simpsons, instead of the couch gag, there is the garage gag. Every episode, the car was driven into the garage a different way. So my mum opens the door, hangs onto the roof of the car, and drives into the garage with her feet. (?!?!?!?!)

She fails and crashes the car, smashing a window. I say something sacastic and accidentally smash the other window with my elbow.

Once inside, I am about to sell Hitler/the rare chocolate coin/the minstrel on Ebay when the sky turns dark. We go into Nazi zombie mode. Everyone is a Simpson, possibly besides me. Zombies enter the room. Someone shoots Santa's Little Helper. It explodes into lots of bloody pieces, then reforms from the pieces as if it were played backwards. Hitler was in my pocket the entire time.

I then wake up, thinking WTF.

Sometimes I wish my dreams were movies, just so I could see people's reactions to the latest crazy twists.

EDIT: Mauve Shirt, I would be interested in reading the story about the dinosaur and the portal gun. Nothing that epic ever happens in my dreams. I think a car exploded a few nights ago, but that's about it.
    Last edited by MBI; 2011-06-12 at 07:08 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

The only weird dreams I can remember are
    Spoiler
    Show
    1) For some reason I am dressed like Austin Powers dancing in a room with no doors and everything is painted with the "Wonder Bread" logo.
    2) I'm running, for some reason, on what seems to be a never ending hardwood floor (pieces of which are falling behind me) and, there are no walls just darkness where they should be. Then I look behind myself and my vision goes into third person, I look forward again and the floor falls under me. I remember thinking "How was I supposed to know to jump there?". I then wake up after kicking something/one (IRL).
    3) This one always kinda weirds me out, and goes beyond dreaming. So I wake up like every other day, take a shower and get dressed then lay back down thinking "I still have an hour, I can take a nap.". So then my Mom wakes me up, for real, and tells me to get ready, I say that I already had and she just says to take a shower. I go into the bathroom thinking accepting that it was a dream sense I was back in what I had slept in, but the shower is wet like someone had just used it, but no one had...

I just remembered one I had last night
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't remember the beginning but somehow it lead up to some people wanting to do something (really specific aren't I?) but Hulk Hogan is trying to stop them so he challenges them to a wrestling mach. The group of people are then crowded around a machine, an evil clone of "Macho Man" Randy Savage then steps out of it with an evil/satisfied smile. It then jumps to the ring, the dream not the clone, with Hogan waiting and the clone comes out and Hogan breaks down in tears saying "You're not real, this is cheating", to which the clone replies "Not real? I'm the realest thing you've ever seen baby!" and starts beating Hulk Hogan to a bloody pulp.
    Last edited by Nageto004; 2011-06-13 at 01:32 AM.
    Nageto004: your residential paranormal exterminator.

I can make you an avi.

IA AWARDS
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Im a True Neutral Human Wizard (1st Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 10
    Dexterity- 15
    Constitution- 10
    Intelligence- 14
    Wisdom- 13
    Charisma- 10

Quote Originally Posted by Deca View Post
    Wow...Epic Ninjaing. Thanks Nageto! And by ninja'ing, I mean me failing a Spot check and somehow not seeing a post that had been there for quarter of an hour.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Your dream had celebrity cameos?

Awesome!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Dreams are normally weird.
    Conversely, dreams that are about fairly normal happenings are weirder dreams. I remember been in a Victorian style candy shop with a green and white colour scheme, even the candy was green. Nothing weird happened, I got a gumball, green of course. The only weird part is I dreamed I had been chewing on gum while sleeping, which invariably led to my face been stuck to the pillow, as was wont to do when I did that for real. When I full woke up, there was no gum.
    I was six at the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

You have extremely weird dreams because you're a normal human being.

Remembering dreams every night on the other hand I can't explain, but I think it is related to how often you have new experiences and how that affects your brain activity.
    There's nothing bad about remembering dreams often, it's probably something good in my uneducated guess.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

EDIT: Mauve Shirt, I would be interested in reading the story about the dinosaur and the portal gun. Nothing that epic ever happens in my dreams. I think a car exploded a few nights ago, but that's about it.
    It's been a few nights, but I was in a Jurassic Park type setting. The Portal gun was still controlled by a mouse, and all I had was an Apple mouse with no real left and right buttons, so that was difficult. What was also difficult was the lack of portalable surfaces in this jungle. The ground was portalable, and some of the trees, but naturally I couldn't make a portal on the sky. The best I could do was redirect the dinosaurs by making a portal under their feet and the other somewhere else on the ground farther away so that they bounce up and down for a while and get disoriented. Then I was being chased by a T-Rex who didn't fit through the portals. I got cornered, and then I woke up.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Barbarian in the Playground

Consider practicing better sleep hygiene for a few nights and see if you notice a difference. What is sleep hygiene? This link will explain much of it. Also, try to sleep on your side or front. Sleeping on your back also can make dreams far more vivid or sureal when compared to sleeping on your side or front.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mastikator View Post
    You have extremely weird dreams because you're a normal human being.

Remembering dreams every night on the other hand I can't explain, but I think it is related to how often you have new experiences and how that affects your brain activity.
    There's nothing bad about remembering dreams often, it's probably something good in my uneducated guess.
    I don't remember every dream, It's just that the vast majority of dreams I do remember are very strange.

And polity4life, I don't want to stop the dreams. They are too funny to miss out on. Also I like having 'drifting' bed times and awakening times, And unless the house grows another room overnight, my bedroom will stay as my recreation/work room.

23. - Top - End - #23

One theory: Your breathing passages are very open and clear!

I started using those nasal strips that hold your nose open so you can breathe better (and, as such, don't wake up--for only a moment, you're not even conscious of doing so before you fall back to sleep--and thus are able to get to REM sleep where it's most restful and you get dreams), and I started having a LOT more dreams, many very strange.

Or, I dunno, aliens come abduct you each night. I ain't a scientician here.
    Author of Zeus Is Dead: A Monstrously Inconvenient Adventure, a comedic fantasy novel set in a version of our world where reality TV show heroes slay actual monsters and the Greek gods have their own Twitter feeds!
    Now available in paperback, ebook, and audiobook!
    ~ ~ ~
    Twitter: @TheWriteMunzspace My Blog: GeekNotesspa!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Muz View Post
    One theory: Your breathing passages are very open and clear!

I started using those nasal strips that hold your nose open so you can breathe better (and, as such, don't wake up--for only a moment, you're not even conscious of doing so before you fall back to sleep--and thus are able to get to REM sleep where it's most restful and you get dreams), and I started having a LOT more dreams, many very strange.

Or, I dunno, aliens come abduct you each night. I ain't a scientician here.
    Obviously this is the answer! I don't know why I didn't think of it before!

I had a dream a couple nights ago that involved larger-than-elephant-sized cats that lurked around railroad tracks and tried to hunt and eat me. This same dream also involved a corrupt policeman who rode a bicycle and printed fake money which he hid inside an underwater treasure chest in a secret compartment (one of those that you flip upside down and something else is on the other side) inside of his house. I helped the good cops convict him, but only after he framed me for killing people including (I think) my family [either that or my family was killed by monsters...not sure] and he spun his car (he had a car, too) in a circle while I was trapped inside. The car was a convertible.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

Sometimes I don't dream at all, it's like I'm just lieing there in bed thinking about what happened today, what I saw on tv recently.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Obviously this is the answer! I don't know why I didn't think of it before!

I had a dream a couple nights ago that involved larger-than-elephant-sized cats that lurked around railroad tracks and tried to hunt and eat me. This same dream also involved a corrupt policeman who rode a bicycle and printed fake money which he hid inside an underwater treasure chest in a secret compartment (one of those that you flip upside down and something else is on the other side) inside of his house. I helped the good cops convict him, but only after he framed me for killing people including (I think) my family [either that or my family was killed by monsters...not sure] and he spun his car (he had a car, too) in a circle while I was trapped inside. The car was a convertible.
    That sounds very similar to the sort of dreams I have. Did the elephant sized cats or the fact that you couldn't escape the convertible seem perfectly normal in the dream? Or did you question the logic behind it?

27. - Top - End - #27

I'd rather not talk about my weird dreams at night.

No, they don't involve Kirk-esque "going where no man has gone before".

Rather, they leave me emotionally raw and on the brink of depression.

I'd rather not see any dreams at night, ktnxbai

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

I got my weirdest dreams when I go to bed sober after drinking heavily for 3 or more nights in a row (e.g., back in my college days). Stuff like dreams within dreams. However, I don't drink much anymore. Now I get weird dreams when I'm sleep deprived or if I have the flu. I always figured that it was a lack of REM sleep that causes odd dreams (alcohol use prevents limits REM sleep).

I also would get weird dreams when napping. The only time I ever napped was freshman year in college when it was standard to stay up until 2AM every night simply on principle.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

That sounds very similar to the sort of dreams I have. Did the elephant sized cats or the fact that you couldn't escape the convertible seem perfectly normal in the dream? Or did you question the logic behind it?
    The elephant-sized cats were kind of a ... local threat? I guess? I didn't question the logic of that one, but it didn't seem perfectly normal, either. Kind of like if Godzilla was a documentary rather than fiction and then one day Godzilla attacked your city. It wouldn't seem normal, but since you knew Godzilla existed, you wouldn't really question it either.

The fact that I couldn't escape the convertible seemed perfectly normal in the dream. I think this is because the convertible was spinning. For a LONG time "I can't stop spinning! Help, I'm trapped!" has been a theme in some of my dreams. Once the convertible eventually stopped spinning, the idea of being trapped wasn't an issue anymore. If I remember correctly, I think I somersaulted out and landed on a bicycle to chase after him as he fled on his bicycle.
    Last edited by Fiery Diamond; 2011-06-14 at 09:47 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30

The elephant-sized cats were kind of a ... local threat? I guess? I didn't question the logic of that one, but it didn't seem perfectly normal, either. Kind of like if Godzilla was a documentary rather than fiction and then one day Godzilla attacked your city. It wouldn't seem normal, but since you knew Godzilla existed, you wouldn't really question it either.

The fact that I couldn't escape the convertible seemed perfectly normal in the dream. I think this is because the convertible was spinning. For a LONG time "I can't stop spinning! Help, I'm trapped!" has been a theme in some of my dreams. Once the convertible eventually stopped spinning, the idea of being trapped wasn't an issue anymore. If I remember correctly, I think I somersaulted out and landed on a bicycle to chase after him as he fled on his bicycle.
    Now I'm imagining your dream as a silent movie with piano music.