New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Default Rick Cook called ...

... he wants his story back.

Just kidding, but I'm just noting that he did a very similar full-length novel -- a pair of novels, in fact -- in which a geek gets summoned out of our world by a hot sorceress to fight against an overwhelming threat.

Of course, the geek in question was a computer guy and not a game geek, and he was called to be a magician and not a warlord, but the principle is still the same ...

the books are "Wizard's Bane" and "The Wizardry Compiled". Both have been released by the publisher as free E-books at
    The Baen Free Library

Respectfully,

Brian P.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Rick Cook called ...

dude it's a pretty iconic fantasy plot. It's been done over and over throughout the years. It's a classic. You can't steal a classic.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

"Good artists copy. Great artists steal!"

Jamie Noguchi, artist and co-creator of Erfworld and evil monkey responsible for Angry Zen Master.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    the books are "Wizard's Bane" and "The Wizardry Compiled". Both have been released by the publisher as free E-books at
    The Baen Free Library
    Thank you for the link. I think I may go read those. (BTW for people who don't know it, the Baen Free Library is one of a number of impressively forward-thinking ideas from Baen Books. Jim Baen will be missed, but his ideas live on.)

Anyway, the concept of the "normal" viewpoint character in the Fantasy world is as old as mythology itself. The test of any story of this kind has to be, "Was the old saw told in a fresh and interesting way, with something genuinely new for the reader to carry away?" On that score, it'll be a while before anyone will fairly be able to say Erfworld succeeds or fails.
    Rob Balder, Erfworld author/co-creator, and creator of PartiallyClips

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

No, I think you stole this plot form "The Last Starfighter"
    Spoiler
    Show

Yee.
    Hah.

I'm in ur ideosphere, propigatin' ur memes!
    I do not understand me.
    English translation of Japanese translation via Babelfish of #408

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Wallyz View Post
    LOL! Brilliant! Man, I loved that movie!
    Jamie Noguchi, artist and co-creator of Erfworld and evil monkey responsible for Angry Zen Master.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Wallyz View Post
    That means there will be a replacement Parson running around and updating the Hamstard website, right?
    Let the Yaggle Gakkle-ing begin.
    Beware! Beware!
    All children of the 'ground

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Whoa...too many people know that gem of an '80's movie...
    sign by egobuttz

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

You have been recruited by Star League to defend against Zur and the Kodan Armada!

DEATH BLOSSOM!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jami View Post
    You have been recruited by Star League to defend against Zur and the Kodan Armada!

DEATH BLOSSOM!
    Hmm. I think that needs to be worked into the comic somewhere...

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    ... he wants his story back.

Just kidding, but I'm just noting that he did a very similar full-length novel -- a pair of novels, in fact -- in which a geek gets summoned out of our world by a hot sorceress to fight against an overwhelming threat.

Of course, the geek in question was a computer guy and not a game geek, and he was called to be a magician and not a warlord, but the principle is still the same ...

The Baen Free Library

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Actually, there's a lot more than just two books to the series. Wizard's Bane and Wizardry Compiled were packaged as a book The Wiz Biz, yes. Then there was The Wizardry Quested, The Wizardry Consulted, and The Wizardry Cursed.

The significant difference between Erfworld and Wiz is that they were not trying for a wizard and ending up with a computer programmer who came up with a compiler for magic; instead they actually got a lot closer to what they want: Someone who can win their war for them.

Assuming this guy is not already familiar with the rules of the game (like it being the game he had spent the aforementioned months designing), it'll take him a few turns to study up on the rules, how they are applied, and how to break them in traditional 'Munchkin' fashion (and it just occured to me that his boss strikes a remarkable resemblance to certain figures on various Munchkin materials... perhaps a more subtle reference?). Then he will apply all his powergamer might and rules-bending knowlege to attempt to snatch a victory out of the jaws of defeat.

I mean, come on, this is like the Ultimate challenge for a Gamer... to be presented with a desperate situation you have to get out of, or YOU die if you loose. I don't think he'd really want to pass on the chance to prove once and for all that he is the ultimate gamer, if presented to him that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

12. - Top - End - #12

Heck, it's a fairly standard plot. There's Heinlein's "Glory Road". Anderson's "Three Hearts and Three Lions". Rosenberg's "Guardians of the Flame." Stasheff's "Her Majesty's Wizard" and assorted crap that followed.

All are about people who get sucked into fantasy worlds; Heinlein and Anderson feature soldiers, Rosenberg a role-playing group, and Stasheff an English post-bacc.
    The Cranky Gamer
    Nexx's Hello
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *"I" is an English pronoun in the nominative case of first person singular. It does not indicate the actions or writings of anyone but the first person, singular.
    *Tataurus, you have three halves as well as a race that doesn't breed. -UglyPanda
    *LVDO ERGO SVM

13. - Top - End - #13

AssassinGuy

Glory road and the Wizards books were sweet. So WAs TLS.....
    Three things to remember about D&D:
    1. Always go right. It's right, after all.
    2. If it's not a party member, it's just XP.
    3. D&D is the only game where you really can kill first and ask questions later.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by ravenkith View Post
    Glory road and the Wizards books were sweet. So WAs TLS.....
    The first Wizard's book, "Her Majesty's Wizard" was pretty cool. However, the subsequent books were crap on toast. Matthew Mantrell displays the learning capability of a severely retarded turtled with ADD; after living in the world, as a Wizard, for more than a year, he seems incapable of grasping even the simplest principles of it. None of the characterizations are consistent from book to book except in that the characters utterly fail to learn ANYTHING from the previous book.

Spoiler
    Show
    Remember at the end of Book 1? When Matthew commands the Demon to go with Sir Guy and aid him, telling him what orders to give? The Demon is delighted at this prospect. What's the situation when they meet again in book 2? The demon is bored because Sir Guy never gives him any orders except to light the occasional fire. WTB? Matthew is still surprised at the reality of that world's version of Catholicism throughout books 2 and 3, and you start to question if he has an inability to commit things to long-term memory. Stupid.
    The Cranky Gamer
    Nexx's Hello
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *"I" is an English pronoun in the nominative case of first person singular. It does not indicate the actions or writings of anyone but the first person, singular.
    *Tataurus, you have three halves as well as a race that doesn't breed. -UglyPanda
    *LVDO ERGO SVM

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I have to disagree with you there. I really liked the Her Majesty's Wizard books - at least, until the end of Book 4.

They didn't stand up to a couple of rereads, though. There was just a little too much exuberant Catholic triumphalism by the end...
    Honor guard at the funeral in the Miko Fan Club.

Those who are too stupid to run, I salute you.

Human Male, age 35

"Have you come to lecture me on my evil ways?"

"Actually, I brought you some supper. But if you'd prefer a lecture, I've a few very catchy ones prepped; sin and hellfire... one has lepers."

- Inara and Book, Firefly

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Personally, the plot reminds me of Hale Troy in the second Covenant novel by Stephen R. Donaldson.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MrNexx View Post
    Heck, it's a fairly standard plot. There's Heinlein's "Glory Road". Anderson's "Three Hearts and Three Lions". Rosenberg's "Guardians of the Flame." Stasheff's "Her Majesty's Wizard" and assorted crap that followed.

All are about people who get sucked into fantasy worlds; Heinlein and Anderson feature soldiers, Rosenberg a role-playing group, and Stasheff an English post-bacc.
    A Connecticut Yankee in King Aurthur's court;
    The dragon and the George (and sequels); Man from Mundania; it's not an uncommon story at all.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

There are a lot of stories that have a similar theme. the spellsinger series is similar as well.
    Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for
    anything, but you still can't help but smile when
    you see one tumble down the stairs.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

theres animae with the same theme as well.
    El Hazad, and Maze that i know of offhand

magic kingdom for sale, Sold! is another book series, where a regular guy buys a magic kingdom. and then theres the castle perilous series.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm surprised nobody mentioned "The Wizard of Oz" yet...

21. - Top - End - #21
    Barbarian in the Playground

It's already been mentioned in-comic, Maurog :)
    "River" cancels eat: Food is problematic.

22. - Top - End - #22

Hey, there's only a total of five stories in the world. People just keep changing the characters and settings. This one happens to be the "Stranger In A Strange Land" story.
    I make games.

"...I worry that modern gaming is gradually shrinking the wide spectrum of gameplay mechanics into a single narrow red bar with "KILL" written on it sideways. Exploration, navigation, puzzles, platforming, all gradually shrinking away until only one thing remains, being taken by the hand from room to room, moving on only when nothing remains alive in each one." - Yhatzee Crosshaw

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Thomar_of_Uointer View Post
    Hey, there's only a total of five stories in the world. People just keep changing the characters and settings. This one happens to be the "Stranger In A Strange Land" story.
    I think the number is actually something like 23, but yeah, what he said.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by MolotovH View Post
    I think the number is actually something like 23, but yeah, what he said.
    It comes out to 23 if you include themes. The same story can be used to convey any number of messages, morals, or lessons. Take a look at the traditional Eastern take on tragedies (here is person/people, person/people does something, person/people die/dies) like Spirits Within, it tends to be totally different than Western tragedies like Hamlet.
    Last edited by Thomar_of_Uointer; 2007-01-28 at 01:57 PM.
    I make games.

"...I worry that modern gaming is gradually shrinking the wide spectrum of gameplay mechanics into a single narrow red bar with "KILL" written on it sideways. Exploration, navigation, puzzles, platforming, all gradually shrinking away until only one thing remains, being taken by the hand from room to room, moving on only when nothing remains alive in each one." - Yhatzee Crosshaw

25. - Top - End - #25

Dangit.

I thought they had stolen the plot from "West Side Story".

My bad.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by BiggusGeekus View Post
    Dangit.

I thought they had stolen the plot from "West Side Story".

My bad.
    Golem, golem, crazy golem-
    Stay loose, golem

A girl like that, who killed your dwagon?
    Forget that girl, hide in the wagon!
    Stick to your own tribe, look to your own tribe...
    Spoiler
    Show

Yee.
    Hah.

I'm in ur ideosphere, propigatin' ur memes!
    I do not understand me.
    English translation of Japanese translation via Babelfish of #408