New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

Default [PF] Gnomeo, the Gnoradin : A Case Study

Searching for a new character to toy with outside from the core of PFRPG (so far I have only used the Alchemist) I found myself re-reading Garrg's Oradin Mini-Guide. As my focus was to try APG base classe I ended up trying to build a "gish" flavored Oradin. That is, taking more than the minimum level in oracle and by choosing the Warrior of the holy light paladin archetype, therefore leaving the oracle as sole caster.

First dilema I had was wich race to choose. Boring old humans, always a good choice for anything. Half-elf, since I'm going to push Oracle a bit more might as well have both class favored for the extra HP. I finally chose the gnome as it was a healty pick and it was shaping my concept into something a little more concrete fluff-wise.

Here's what I've got so far up to level 9

Gnome male Paladin 5 (Hospitaler & Warrior of the holy lighr) / Oracle 4
    20 PB

STR 10 (-2)
    CON 19 (+2, +1)
    DEx 16 (+1)
    INT 08
    WIS 08
    CHA 16 (+2)

LVL 1 Fey Foundling, Anatomist, Rapscallion
    LVL 2 Life Mystery, Clouded vision, Life link
    LVL 3 Weapon finesse
    LVL 4 +1 DEX
    LVL 5 Mercy : Sickenend, Toughness
    LVL 6 Revelation : Channel
    LVL 7 Extra Lay on Hands
    LVL 8 +1 CON
    LVL 9 Divine bond (Mount), Extra Channel (paladin)

Now I have a few options. Do I keep up alterning Paladin and Oracle levels ? Then should I switch to Half-elf for the extra HP ? That would be refluffing from the ground up. Do I take a PrC ? Hellknight is what I had in mind but mechanicaly speaking it seams pointless.

Also I originally built this little guy with THF in mind (a small Earthbreaker still does 1d10 dmg) but switched to a rapier w/ weapon finess. I really dont want to go TWF since it would eat up a lot of feats.
    Quote Originally Posted by doko239 View Post
    Or be a Bard Lich and tell people you're Keith Richards
    If I'm a monk using lettuce as an Improvised Thrown Weapon, does that make me a salad-tosser ???
    Les Goblins Toxiques : A geek blog (in French) where I write about RPG, M:TG and such. Also has a podcast / radio show. RIP 2012 We had a great run but RL caught up with us!

2. - Top - End - #2

Flumph

Default Re: [PF] Gnomeo, the Gnoradin : A Case Study

(bump)

What do you guys think I should do with this ?
    If I'm a monk using lettuce as an Improvised Thrown Weapon, does that make me a salad-tosser ???
    Les Goblins Toxiques : A geek blog (in French) where I write about RPG, M:TG and such. Also has a podcast / radio show. RIP 2012 We had a great run but RL caught up with us!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zubrowka74 View Post
    Searching for a new character to toy with outside from the core of PFRPG (so far I have only used the Alchemist) I found myself re-reading Garrg's Oradin Mini-Guide
    Who?

I'd probably skip Paladin 5.
    Mount is nice and all, but without more Paladin levels, it will start lagging behind after level 9 (Boon Companion gives +4 effective level).

As for race, Gnome is perfectly fine, and going DEX/Finesse is a good call.
    It's up to you what to do with levels after 9, but there is nothing wrong with stopping at just 4 levels of Paladin.
    [retired]

Horribly out of date guide goes here:
    Oradin Guide

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

(bump)

I'd skip Oracle3

Be a Halfing (Their class bonus is more LoH healing), get a lance, use a mount.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

(bump)

I'd skip Oracle3, and use more Paladin if you don't go into a PrC.

Be a Halfling (Their class bonus is more LoH healing).

I find Paladin Channeling to be kind of a waste. You can drop it without missing much. I prefer Oath of Vengeance to help balance out your damage vs. healing.
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2013-01-02 at 11:10 AM.
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

6. - Top - End - #6

Flumph

Ok so on one side we have Paladin 4 / oracle 5 and on the other paladin 7 / oracle 2 ?

Snowbluff, remember I gave up paladin casting with one of the archetypes and my goal was to push Oracle over the 2 or 3 level dip. Also, gnomes have the same LoH favored class bonus so I'll stick with this race.

All in all P 4 / O 5 makes sens but only if I take a PrC that has good melee potential. Unless I missed something about going oracle for the remaining levels ?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Wait, Paladins can cast?

8. - Top - End - #8

Flumph

Yeah, well if I only take 2 levels of Oracle with 7 of Paly w/out casting, it aint much of a gish build anymore, eh ?