Level: Clr 4
    Components: V, S, XP
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
    Effect: See text
    Duration: 1 round/level
    Saving Throw: No
    Spell Resistance: None

This spell summons Barry the Benevolent, a Neutral Good level 6 human cleric with the Healing domain, who will proceed to buff and heal all allied creatures for the duration of the spell.

This spell was created for the Misheard Spells thread, and for some reason I wanted to stat the guy out.

Barry the Benevolent

Size/Type: Medium Humanoid
    Hit Dice: 6d8+6 (32 hp)
    Initiative: +0
    Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
    Armor Class: 10 (+0 Dex)
    Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+3
    Attack: Unarmed strike +3 melee (1d3-1)
    Full Attack: Unarmed strike +3 melee (1d3-1)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Spells, turn undead
    Special Qualities:
    Saves: Fort +6, Ref +2, Will +8
    Abilities: Str 8, Dex 10, Con 12, Int 13, Wis 16, Cha 14
    Skills: Concentration +11, Diplomacy +8, Sense Motive +8, Heal +10, Survival +5, Knowledge(Religion) +6
    Feats: Extra Turning, Improved Initiative, Negotiator, Self-Sufficient
    Environment:
    Organization: Solitary, unique
    Challenge Rating: 4
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Neutral Good
    Advancement: By character class
    Level Adjustment: +0

No one is certain where the enigmatic Barry is from, and he won't say where. All that is known is that Barry is there for should you need him to lend a helping hand.

Combat
    Barry avoids physical combat, finding it disdainful. His involvement in combat is comprised of casting buffing and healing spells.

Turn Undead (Su): Barry can use the Turn Undead ability 9 times per day and receives a +2 circumstance bonus.

Spells
    Barry casts spells as a level 6 cleric. He receives a +1 caster level bonus on healing spells and can convert spell slots to healing spells spontaneously.

Cleric Spells Per Day:(5/4+1/4+1/3+1)
    Cleric Spells Prepared: 0—Create Water(1), Guidance(1), Mending(1), Resistance(2); 1st—Cure Light Wounds(1), Bless(1), Protection from Evil(2), Remove Fear(1); 2nd—Cure Moderate Wounds(1), Aid(1), Restoration, Lesser(1), Consecrate(1), Shield Other(1); 3rd—Cure Serious Wounds(1), Prayer(1), Protection from Energy(1), Remove Disease(1)
    Last edited by Jergmo; 2009-07-29 at 08:50 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    DM: "Sunder the wall?! WT**** kind of tactics are these!?"
    Me: The kind that armies have been using for millennia.
    DM: They didn't do it with swords!
    Me: Which makes us so much cooler.

Player: Where are the babau in relation to everyone else?
    Me: They're right behind you. Vesil is covered in Loki's blood. That is their location in relation to you.
    Player: I was just wondering about a fireball.

My Homebrew

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Default Re: Barry the Benevolent

Amusing but I'd be hard pressed to allow a 4th level spell summon a 6th level caster even if it is only for 1 round per caster level. What if Barry thinks the summoner is a jerk? Barry may be "good" but he can still be greedy.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

What happens if someone summons Barry the Benevolent while he is already summoned by someone else? Gah, tonguetwister.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    Amusing but I'd be hard pressed to allow a 4th level spell summon a 6th level caster even if it is only for 1 round per caster level. What if Barry thinks the summoner is a jerk? Barry may be "good" but he can still be greedy.

Debby
    Why? You need to be 7th level to cast 4th level spells, and he can't cast more 4th level spells (and the attack-iest spell he has is Prayer).
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Debby
    Barry is Mini-Jesus good. He doesn't even have any treasure, he gave it all to orphaned Celestial Kittens. Also, as it's a [Good] spell, evil people can't cast it. So, evil-jerk people can't summon him, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawman View Post
    What happens if someone summons Barry the Benevolent while he is already summoned by someone else? Gah, tonguetwister.
    They get his answering machine.
    Last edited by Jergmo; 2009-07-29 at 09:51 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Me: They're right behind you. Vesil is covered in Loki's blood. That is their location in relation to you.

My Homebrew

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

You should add this:

"If Barry is killed his body will vanish. The next time you cast the spell a different man will appear, who will introduce himself as Barry, the other Barry's cousin."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Because he's significantly more powerful than creatures that can be summoned by Summon Monster IV. On the other hand, he only appears for 1 round per caster level so it may not be as unbalancing as I originally suspected. I'm still not entirely convinced.

Of course, if there's only one Barry and he's being summoned, he may be unavailble and then your cleric will have wasted a spell until Barry is finished with his prior engagement. Or worse, you could end up with Barry's evil twin [oddly enough his name is Barry too], or Barry's baby sister Berrie, who can't cast any spells, but she grants all allies within a 30 ft. radius a +2 cute bonus to saves, attacks and damage. If she kisses your boo-boo, she can heal 1d2 points of damage.

This could get complicated depending on how many family members Barry has and who fills in for him when he's unavailable or if any other (unrelated) Barry shows up.

This has a lot of potential to be hilarious.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Because he's significantly more powerful than creatures that can be summoned by Summon Monster IV. On the other hand, he only appears for 1 round per caster level so it may not be as unbalancing as I originally suspected. I'm still not entirely convinced.

Of course, if there's only one Barry and he's being summoned, he may be unavailble and then your cleric will have wasted a spell until Barry is finished with his prior engagement. Or worse, you could end up with Barry's evil twin [oddly enough his name is Barry too], or Barry's baby sister Berrie, who can't cast any spells, but she grants all allies within a 30 ft. radius a +2 cute bonus to saves, attacks and damage. If she kisses your boo-boo, she can heal 1d2 points of damage.

This could get complicated depending on how many family members Barry has and who fills in for him when he's unavailable or if any other (unrelated) Barry shows up.

This has a lot of potential to be hilarious.

Debby
    And his french cousin, Beri. It can get very confusing when someone wants to summon Beri or his sister; there are many mix-ups. Also, while Barry is a level 6 cleric, he still has no offensive spells of any sort (except a buff allies/debuff enemies) spell that isn't particularly powerful, and has no equipment at all. However, Barry isn't necessarily more powerful than something summoned with Lesser Planar Binding (max 6 HD). These are cleric-only spells. A Succubus, for example, could be summoned with Lesser Planar Binding, and if I were the opponents, I'd much rather face Barry.
    Last edited by Jergmo; 2009-07-29 at 10:18 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

On a non-joking front, I actually like the idea of specialized spells that summon specific creatures, such as a Call of the Black Knight spell, which summons a black armored warrior to serve you for the duration of the spell. Actually, I might go draw up a few critters now.

Thanks for the great idea! Gotta love Barry!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

1 round/level is also the duration of Summon Monster ? I believe....
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

You're right it is 1 round per caster level. Barry apparently isn't dismissable either so if you get stuck with Barry's Evil Twin you might be in a spot of trouble. On the other hand, Barry isn't significantly more powerful than the howler thats on the the Summon Monster IV list so I may have erred a bit on thinking he was overpowered.

Debby