New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default Freefall: DOGGY!

Wait, there's no Freefall thread? There should be a Freefall thread. I'm going to make one.

Freefall features Sam Starfall, an infamous alien starship captain whose amorality is matched only by his incompetence; Helix, Sam's naive robot sidekick, who specializes in picking up heavy things, moving them, and putting them down; and Florence Ambrose, an engineer (and Bowman's Wolf) who just wanted to make a living designing starship engines. Wacky hijinks, and eventually a plot, ensue.

(Since my summary skills are terrible, I'll let hajo take over from here...)

Quote Originally Posted by hajo View Post
    Freefall is running since 1998, but the events shown in the comic cover "only" a few weeks.

For the early years, the index has been organized into "chapters", but the current story is all under "2010"
    Also, the search for text only covers the first 2441 comics.

There is a forum, and the intro-thread has a short timeline.

The background of the story:

The near future. Mankind has spread to a few dozen worlds, but travel between starsystems is slow and expensive.
    The story is happening on Jean, a small human colony-world, that is still being terraformed.
    On it are about 20.000 adult humans, and 450 million robots. (Plus one alien, and two genetically engineered persons)
    Terraforming and robot-production is done by a big corporation, Ecosystems Unlimited.

Sam is a squid-like member of the only alien race discovered so far, and he got to Jean as a (sort of) stowaway aboard a scout-ship.
    The squids have descended from scaveners, and their civilisation is early-industrial.
    They are a lot different in their ways of life (also, delicious)
    The air on their homeworld has more oxygen, so on Jean, Sam needs to wear an environment-suit at all times.
    Despite the culture-shock, Sam has managed to aquire Helix, a "young" warehouse-robot, and an old spaceship (cheap!), they are using as a home.

Florence is one of a few "experimental organic AI" with the body (and nose) of a red wolf, raised by a human family on earth. She is competent as an engineer (as well as hunter and cook) and was travelling (in "cold sleep") to a research-station on another world when Sam needed an engineer to repair his heap of junk spaceship.

So, Sam bribed some offical to have her unloaded on Jean...

You see - no spoilers, just teasers
    Updates MWF.
    Last edited by Math_Mage; 2014-05-05 at 01:03 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Freefall: DOGGY!

The thread keeps dying for some reason.

However, said plot has grown far beyond the confines that your last sentence implies. A recap of stuff up to this point may not go amiss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post

However, said plot has grown far beyond the confines that your last sentence implies. A recap of stuff up to this point may not go amiss.
    That is true. But it seems sufficiently spoilerriffic that I'm not sure how much to explain.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

A recap of stuff up to this point may not go amiss.
    Freefall is running since 1998, but the events shown in the comic cover "only" a few weeks.

For the early years, the index has been organized into "chapters", but the current story is all under "2010"

The near future. Mankind has spread to a few dozen worlds, but travel between starsystems is slow and expensive.
    The story is happening on Jean, a small human colony-world, that is still being terraformed.
    On it are about 20.000 adult humans, and 450 million robots. (Plus one alien, and two genetically engineered persons)
    Terraforming and robot-production is done by a big corporation, Ecosystems Unlimited.

Sam is a squid-like member of the only alien race discovered so far, and he got to Jean as a (sort of) stowaway aboard a scout-ship.
    The squids have descended from scaveners, and their civilisation is early-industrial.
    The air on their homeworld has more oxygen, so on Jean, Sam needs to wear an environment-suit at all times.
    Despite the culture-shock, Sam has managed to aquire Helix, a "young" warehouse-robot, and an old spaceship (cheap!), they are using as a home.

Florence is one of a few "experimental organic AI" with the body (and nose) of a red wolf, raised by a human family on earth. She is competent as an engineer (as well as hunter and cook) and was travelling (in "cold sleep") to a research-station on another world when Sam needed an engineer to repair his heap of junk spaceship.

Last edited by hajo; 2014-04-11 at 07:38 PM.
    -HaJo

FLW: Oh, no. We're being rescued. How embarrassing!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

The fact the story puts 24 to shame in terms of time compression doesn't really help.
    There is no such thing as "innocence", only degrees of guilt.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

Daemon

Nicely done.

It is interesting to go back and see that Florence had previously commented that "The chimps were intelligent, but sociopaths."

http://freefall.purrsia.com/ff1200/fv01151.htm

I don't recall if they were discussed at any other point in the series. It leads me to wonder if she was referring to chimpanzees as an earlier effort at bio-engineering organic AIs or not. The answer as to whether or not chimp AIs had been designed would be interesting, as would the question of who was responsible for designing them. Dr. Bowman, the creator of the Bowman's Wolves, does not strike me as a likely candidate ...

The one reference to chimps in the back story provided here suggests that chimps were subject to engineering:

http://home.comcast.net/~ccdesan/Fre...story.html#Top

[Edit] I discovered after posting this that the page hajo linked above answers the one question, but not the other:

http://freefall.purrsia.com/ff1500/fv01401.htm
    Last edited by Wort; 2014-04-17 at 11:11 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

As an engineer, I think that Florence is really awesome. The funny thing is that I recently started working with PLCs, and the plc inside clippy looked exactly like the model I have been using.

I love hard sci do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Will Blunt interpret Max's comment to mean he shouldn't compromise on his genocide attempt?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wort View Post
    Nicely done.

It is interesting to go back and see that Florence had previously commented that "The chimps were intelligent, but sociopaths."

http://freefall.purrsia.com/ff1200/fv01151.htm

I don't recall if they were discussed at any other point in the series. It leads me to wonder if she was referring to chimpanzees as an earlier effort at bio-engineering organic AIs or not. The answer as to whether or not chimp AIs had been designed would be interesting, as would the question of who was responsible for designing them. Dr. Bowman, the creator of the Bowman's Wolves, does not strike me as a likely candidate ...

The one reference to chimps in the back story provided here suggests that chimps were subject to engineering:

http://home.comcast.net/~ccdesan/Fre...story.html#Top

[Edit] I discovered after posting this that the page hajo linked above answers the one question, but not the other:

http://freefall.purrsia.com/ff1500/fv01401.htm
    Huh, I can't believe I missed this...

First reference to chimps:
    http://freefall.purrsia.com/ff700/fv00661.htm
    http://freefall.purrsia.com/ff700/fv00662.htm

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AMX View Post
    Huh, I can't believe I missed this...

First reference to chimps:
    http://freefall.purrsia.com/ff700/fv00661.htm
    http://freefall.purrsia.com/ff700/fv00662.htm
    I did remember that (yay, multiple archive binges!) but it actually made me more surprised that the good doctor was a modified member of the genus Pan.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2014-04-27 at 06:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

I put hajo's background summary in the OP. If it looks stupid/redundant that way, let me know and I'll remove it.

Also, thanks for covering for my ineptitude, hajo. I probably shoulda said that sooner.

Spoiler: Current
    Show
    Well, everyone's arrived to the debate. Sounds like a good time to cut to Florence.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Math_Mage View Post
    I put hajo's background summary in the OP. If it looks stupid/redundant that way, let me know and I'll remove it.

Also, thanks for covering for my ineptitude, hajo. I probably shoulda said that sooner.

Spoiler: Current
    Show
    Well, everyone's arrived to the debate. Sounds like a good time to cut to Florence.
    Or for Sam Starfall to get the robot to put him down, look stupid, and pay a large sum in damages all at once and to fierce applause. I fully expect Blunt's attack on Sam to cost him support in the long run.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

*sigh* As an anthrophile, I feel Blunt makes a very good point. Not that I agree with his Final Solution approach, but it is a real can of worms nonetheless.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Math_Mage View Post
    Naw. The robots in Freefall are really not that different from people. Pom very much is.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Naw. The robots in Freefall are really not that different from people. Pom very much is.
    Opposed to Ravens_cry's anthrophilia, more than to Blunt in particular.

17. - Top - End - #17

I'm not sure what just happened. Anybody care to explain?
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    I'm not sure what just happened. Anybody care to explain?
    Sam abused the ignorance of his mark to con them into doing something for him (in this case, serving ice-cream). Fairly standard MO for Sam, really.

If he tried it on anyone else, he could not get away with it, since Sam is wanted dead by pretty much everyone, including everyone that redacts the laws, but Blunt has a combination of sheltered, simplistic obedience to the law and slow thinking that makes him easy target. Sam may or may not be the squid species he claims. The species may or may not be protected. And the penalty may or may not be to serve ice-cream (take your pick). But Blunt doesn't know the answer to those either, and he is more willing than most to accept other people's word at face value.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Sam abused the ignorance of his mark to con them into doing something for him (in this case, serving ice-cream). Fairly standard MO for Sam, really.

If he tried it on anyone else, he could not get away with it, since Sam is wanted dead by pretty much everyone, including everyone that redacts the laws, but Blunt has a combination of sheltered, simplistic obedience to the law and slow thinking that makes him easy target. Sam may or may not be the squid species he claims (He's not, he's a sqid). The species may or may not be protected(Probably not). And the penalty may or may not be to serve ice-cream (take your pick) (Definitely not given how stringently we protect endangered species). But Blunt doesn't know the answer to those either, and he is more willing than most to accept other people's word at face value.

Grey Wolf
    Yeah, Sam's lying out his ink jet here.
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, Sam's lying out his ink jet here.
    He's not even technically a squid.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    He's not even technically a squid.
    Yeah, he's a sqid, not a squid. (The difference? U don't want to go near sqids)

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

If he tried it on anyone else, he could not get away with it, since Sam is wanted dead by pretty much everyone, including everyone that redacts the laws, but Blunt has a combination of sheltered, simplistic obedience to the law and slow thinking that makes him easy target. Sam may or may not be the squid species he claims. The species may or may not be protected. And the penalty may or may not be to serve ice-cream (take your pick). But Blunt doesn't know the answer to those either, and he is more willing than most to accept other people's word at face value.

Grey Wolf
    I feel sad for today's youth.

Sam just pulled a CLASSIC Bugs Bunny routine!

http://fan.tcm.com/_Duck-Rabbit-Duck...tePassive=true

Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Just a quick note to state that this is no longer an accurate criticism. Stanley has updated the index all the way until 2014.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Update!

Blunt really doesn't know his audience, does he?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Update!

Blunt really doesn't know his audience, does he?
    Spoiler
    Show

He's a partially broken robot who has gained sophont status due to the machinations of a deranged chimp who was too brilliant for the humans to put down while the humans were also too lazy to actually understand the protocols before they used them.

There's bound to be a few areas where things fall apart, given that.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2014-05-20 at 10:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

yeah, thanks Blunt for shooting yourself in the foot, care to aim for your head next?

I think he thinks that humans WANT to work and toil all day, be brave and face danger and such....was he raised in isolation the same way as Edge? or similarly? he might've gotten the notion from watching too many "humans triumph against robots with pure human courage and determination" movies....
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

You joke, but I've seen exactly that attitude in topics about transhumanisim and post scarcity societies. If the machines are in charge and keep humans as pampered pets, what meaning does a human life have? Better to struggle with our destiny, because it is -our- destiny.

...I dont understand it either.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    yeah, thanks Blunt for shooting yourself in the foot, care to aim for your head next?

I think he thinks that humans WANT to work and toil all day, be brave and face danger and such....was he raised in isolation the same way as Edge? or similarly? he might've gotten the notion from watching too many "humans triumph against robots with pure human courage and determination" movies....
    No, he's referring to the death of humans when they basically become pampered pets that never think or do anything for themselves until they die out due to their creations no longer caring to truck with them or humans having become so lazy and anemic that they stop breeding. It's a trope that comes up from time to time. Saturn's Children covers one version of that variety of human extinction because robots(though global warming and poisoning the biosphere helped humanity along), that Dresden Codak story linked to earlier covers it partially, though it also involves a malevolent-to-callous-to-uncaring MACHINE GOD(TM) that was actively mindraping and absorbing the humans it got addicted to cyber existence.

He just doesn't use fancy words or spin or the ability to communicate the danger intelligibly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakaydos View Post
    You joke, but I've seen exactly that attitude in topics about transhumanisim and post scarcity societies. If the machines are in charge and keep humans as pampered pets, what meaning does a human life have? Better to struggle with our destiny, because it is -our- destiny.

Transhumanism and post-scarcity are one thing. Giving your society over to Mother Brain is quite another.

It's one thing to want to have a much better society and better people to populate that society. It's another thing to willingly choose to destroy that society via obsolescence.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2014-05-20 at 10:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rakaydos View Post

if it comes up in transhuman discussions, then it probably doesn't matter all that much, because at the point of transhuman technology becoming widespread, it becomes unclear what *really* is a robot/machine/person or whatever, and what it means to be human if your in a robotic body etc etc.....

I mean, I don't see the difference between robot rulers and human rulers, except that one is flesh, one is steel, but that really shouldn't impact any of their actual thoughts (programming and exponential growth into a singularity AI on the other hand...), so you might as well argue against government in general and what meaning human life has if we're all just say, corporate drones or something, and that maybe its better to struggle on as hunter-gatherers with no government because its our destiny or whatever.

and then Hobbes comes along and facepalms at the extreme bioconservatives* and goes "have I taught any of you nothing!?" and proceeds to retread the whole "war of all against the all" thing to teach them a lesson.

*a term from Eclipse Phase to refer to people who believe in keeping themselves completely human and shunning access to more advanced technology.

Edit: the more accurate Eclipse Phase term for people who shun technology altogether would be Neo-Primitivists, and is what I meant.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2014-05-21 at 07:13 PM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Alternate last line: "I did say 'advances'."