New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Gifted

1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Gifted

They've actually mentioned in passing several times now that both the X-Men and the Brotherhood are 'gone.' But what that means is not clear. Were they killed? Did they just vanish?

As for continuity, I believe this show takes place in its own timeline, separate from the movies, including Logan.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    They've actually mentioned in passing several times now that both the X-Men and the Brotherhood are 'gone.' But what that means is not clear. Were they killed? Did they just vanish?

As for continuity, I believe this show takes place in its own timeline, separate from the movies, including Logan.
    Yup, they've mentioned the X-Men and Brotherhood disappearing after the July 15th incident (the one where Jace lost his daughter). The X-Men apparently put Thunderbird in charge of the Mutant Underground before they disappeared.

And yes, all I've read said that this is a separate timeline to Logan or any other X-Men movie.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

If anything, the show is more realistic in making the mutantsvulnerable to the non-powered human sentinels. Their powers, without plot armor, shouldn’t prevent them from being shot by conventional weapons.
    I think thats a very important bit. Its a surprisingly high amount of mutant powers thats honestly not much more worth than a gun in the hands of a skilled user. At least in the confines of a 1 vs 1 fight
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

I recall the word "vanished" was used several episodes ago. I think there might be a comic-book arc that could explain what happened to them.

I wonder if there is any possibility that there could be interactions or X-men appearance. For now that would certainly not serve any plot purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    I think thats a very important bit. Its a surprisingly high amount of mutant powers thats honestly not much more worth than a gun in the hands of a skilled user. At least in the confines of a 1 vs 1 fight
    Actually, if what's unrealistic is how the mutants ARE so much more capable, using their powers or not, against such highly trained forces. However, its so common in TV and movies that the heroes are just automatically better, more capable, or just consistently lucky, in fights against mooks, that its basically a given.

What makes this show interesting is that the heroes, for all their powers, are acting like they really are just a step away from being overwhelmed by the nameless mundanes. Now they take that, and add that the mundanes have a lot of super-tech just throw in some game changing mad-science in their favor. Now the mutants are facing pressure like we've never seen the superhero medium since Days of Future Past only with the realism you get from seeing flesh and blood pursuers rather than CGI shapeshifting robots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

As if the mutants didn't have enough advantages in this mutant vs. mook battle, they just got handed two more...
    Spoiler
    Show
    The one person who could level the playing field for the mooks just got taken out, and the two children are now basically "Wonder Twins power, activate."
    #GoreMutualarejerks

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

Uh, so, I'm no expert on X-Men or anything, but that blonde telepath named Esme...is she who I think she is? I now find myself wondering what 'family' she was talking about having been taken by Sentinel Services. Maybe her sisters?

7. - Top - End - #67

Esme is one of the Stepford Cuckoos, a set of five teen girl telepaths. Originally supposed to be quints, it was later revealed that they were actually clones from one of the Weapon X programs. Then things got retconned, then retconned again, and later retconned again, so what's happening now I have no idea.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Rogar
    Then things got retconned, then retconned again, and later retconned again, so what's happening now I have no idea.
    This sums up the last twenty years of the X-Men for me.

As for this week’s episode…o gawd what a schlockfest. The dialogue was clunky and absurd, the reunion with the father was hackneyed and predictable, virtually paint-by-numbers for every beat.

Easily the worst-written episode thus far, and that's even before the grand reveal.

Spoiler: The Grand Reveal
    Show
    So, Fenris is officially in this timeline, and the Strucker kids are their genetic reincarnation…or something like that. I guess the really cool mutations skip three generations.

So, looks like we'll be watching for the Strucker kids to be tempted to turn to eeeeeeevil.

Spoiler: Angsty Romantic Subplot
    Show
    Polaris started as one of my favorite characters, but in this episode she’s acting like a sulky, petulant teenager. It didn’t help that Eclipse’s logic (for want of a better word) was hopelessly tangled, and Polaris had the overwhelming moral advantage—and yet she puffed it away by being a sullen bitch.

Although snapping off the light with a dramatic flourish was funny. Give them this, they find clever ways for Polaris to use her abilities.

Spoiler: Bad Acting Soufflé
    Show
    I think everyone was having a bad week on the set. The acting seemed clunky all around, and especially groansome from Blink and Dreamer.

Speaking of which, if Blink is carrying a monster grudge at Dreamer for tampering with her memory, why is she suddenly asking Dreamer to tamper with a child's memory? And conversely, if Dreamer can siphon out bad thoughts, why doesn't Blink ask her to remove the false memory she implanted?

Spoiler: The Vanishing Shard of Glass
    Show
    Did anyone notice the shard of glass embedded in the side of Pulse’s face? It’s there in one brief shot, right after Johnny finds Pulse lying in the street, but then it’s gone for the rest of the scene. A minor continuity error; but it sticks out, so to speak, if you know where to look.
    Last edited by Palanan; 2017-11-21 at 11:13 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MikelaC1 View Post
    As if the mutants didn't have enough advantages in this mutant vs. mook battle, they just got handed two more...
    Spoiler
    Show
    The one person who could level the playing field for the mooks just got taken out, and the two children are now basically "Wonder Twins power, activate."
    Flip-side, Sentinel Services has a seeming army of mutants at their beck and call and they drug them up with something that boosts their powers.

And the Mutant Underground still only has one mutant that can prevent them all from being riddled with bullets.

Edit: Hey, you got your wish. More mutant on mutant combat.
    Last edited by Joran; 2017-11-22 at 10:23 AM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Bad Acting Soufflé
    Show
    And conversely, if Dreamer can siphon out bad thoughts, why doesn't Blink ask her to remove the false memory she implanted?

Dreamer actually did offer, but Blink turned her down.

11. - Top - End - #71

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Spoiler: The Vanishing Shard of Glass
    Show
    Did anyone notice the shard of glass embedded in the side of Pulse’s face? It’s there in one brief shot, right after Johnny finds Pulse lying in the street, but then it’s gone for the rest of the scene. A minor continuity error; but it sticks out, so to speak, if you know where to look.
    I thought they showed it getting pulled out. Or was that just my brain jumping right to fridge logic again?

No episode next week, but we get the last two in December. Still no word if this'll get renewed.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Joran View Post
    Edit: Hey, you got your wish. More mutant on mutant combat.
    And that was the best part of the show. She was able to defeat the mutants who used their power in single fashion and only got stopped when they worked together.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by JadedDM
    Dreamer actually did offer, but Blink turned her down.
    I must have missed that, or forgotten it.

Blink is not exactly my favorite character, mainly because her acting is consistently terrible.

Originally Posted by Rogar
    I thought they showed it getting pulled out.
    Nope. I ran it back and watched it three times. In the first closeup of Pulse’s head, the shard is clearly visible in his right cheek. We cut between Johnny and Pulse a couple more times, but in the subsequent closeups the shard is gone.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

I must have missed that, or forgotten it.
    It was right when Blink confronted Dreamer on what she did. I'm paraphrasing, but it went something like:

Blink: How could you do this to me?
    Dreamer: Look, if you want, I can remove the memory--
    Blink: Just stay out of my head!

I think the idea was Blink was angry at the violation, and letting Dreamer back into her head to 'fix' things might make things worse. Or she was just angry and hurt. On some level, though, I think she kind of likes the memory. John is a nice looking guy, and Blink is a 'freak' (allegedly, it's hard to buy when she's played by Jamie Chung), and I think on some level she enjoys the fantasy of being romantic with a hot guy.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I think everyone was having a bad week on the set. The acting seemed clunky all around, and especially groansome from Blink and Dreamer.

Speaking of which, if Blink is carrying a monster grudge at Dreamer for tampering with her memory, why is she suddenly asking Dreamer to tamper with a child's memory? And conversely, if Dreamer can siphon out bad thoughts, why doesn't Blink ask her to remove the false memory she implanted?
    If you think Blink's behavior is bad acting because she is a woman in love displaying contrary behavior, I don't think you really understand women.

Moreover, emotional reactions do not need to be logical.

Spoiler: Blink is a woman in love
    Show
    Blink was angry at discovering her love for Thunderbird was caused by an implanted memory, but she still loves Thunderbird and doesn't want that taken away.

Yes, Blink thinks her feelings are not reciprocal (although Thunderbird is giving signals they are). Maybe Blink is better off without those feelings, but they are hers, damn it, and she neither wants her mind messed with anymore, nor does she want to deny her love which she experiences to be a true expression of herself and a special thing. On the other hand, she wants her feelings reciprocated, despite the fact that seems (to her) unlikely to happen.

And its all Dreamers fault for causing all this. Also Thunderbird, for being a coward and not addressing things.

That was last week though. This week, Blink has reconciled to her messed up feelings, perhaps understands Dreamer a bit better, and wants to reconcile with Dreamer. So Blink brings her a child who wants to forget her horrible memories of seeing all her friends killed.

Its like a couple of soap episodes worth of emotional twists and turns within a couple of scenes, but its completely believable. In fact, I think Blink's pathos is something one can empathize with, rather than challenging her internal logic.
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Bugbear in the Playground

Uh, so, I'm no expert on X-Men or anything, but that blonde telepath named Esme...is she who I think she is? I now find myself wondering what 'family' she was talking about having been taken by Sentinel Services. Maybe her sisters?
    Not actually familiar with the comics at all, but I actually had her pegged as the infiltrator the moment she said 'telepath' - I figured she was mind-controlling Chloe into attacking. Guess not, but I really wouldn't be surprised if she turned out bad anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby Frost
    `This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!`

17. - Top - End - #77
    Bugbear in the Playground

WELP. This just got real.

Spoiler
    Show
    Anyone think the Cuckoos will be part of the Hellfire Club? They namedrooped it when taking about Andrea & Andreas.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Is this just a Christmas hiatus thing (God I hate the latest TV construct, the Fall Finale) or are we talking next September for continuance?
    #GoreMutualarejerks

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

There's a two hour season finale, which will air on January 15th.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MikelaC1 View Post
    Is this just a Christmas hiatus thing (God I hate the latest TV construct, the Fall Finale) or are we talking next September for continuance?
    As JadedDM said, this was a Christmas hiatus thing, but the first season of the Gifted is only 13 episodes, so it's going to be done in mid-January.

Spoiler: Reaction
    Show

Upon Dreamer's death:

Me: Noooooo, they killed the hot one.
    My wife: Of course, they killed off the one with the useless power.

Probably not the reaction they want from us.
    Last edited by Joran; 2017-12-13 at 02:46 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

There's a two hour season finale, which will air on January 15th.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joran View Post
    As JadedDM said, this was a Christmas hiatus thing, but the first season of the Gifted is only 13 episodes, so it's going to be done in mid-January.

Show

Upon Dreamer's death:

Me: Noooooo, they killed the hot one.
    My wife: Of course, they killed off the one with the useless power.

Probably not the reaction they want from us.
    Show
    Eh I didn’t think it was a very powerful death scene either. The doctor is clearly out of control mad and the checks and balances they at least talk about at Sentinel Services are simply not present. I actually tend to think his presence undermines the integrity of the show a bit. We get the feeling that this is going on in a world where laws and rules mean something and how those in authority can abuse them.

Trask is basically about a mad scientist who getting his Mengele on.

I actually think dreamers powers are and have been one of the most useful in the series. I am sorry to see her go because there was really a lot of potential in making people forget, and also in the love triangle between her, Polaris, and Thunderbird.

This is not the resolution I wanted to see.

Spoiler: Next Episode
    Show
    My desire to see loose threads wrapped up would like to see Sentinel Services and the Underground get together to take down the Stepford sisters. My guess is that the Underground will instead end up fighting a war on two fronts.

Its probably good to keep things hostile between Sentinel Services and the Underground, but I’m afraid Jace is just getting pushed till he jump into the anti-mutant crazy along with Trask. That would not be good.

This series shines when they tackle the nuances of what’s going on. In so many ways, however, the show is simplistic. The Underground members essentially have an uncompromising morality against killing and distaste for indiscriminate destruction. The other side has plenty of people that think torture and brainwashing mutant children is just fine, and the public spontaneously produces lynch mobs. About the only place they have integrity is in suggesting there is a legal process that governs what’s going on, and even there they are being extremely fast and loose.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground

According to Emma Dumont, the show has been renewed for a second season.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

[QUOTE=Palanan;22592785]
    Spoiler: The Grand Reveal
    Show
    So, Fenris is officially in this timeline, and the Strucker kids are their genetic reincarnation…or something like that. I guess the really cool mutations skip three generations.

So, looks like we'll be watching for the Strucker kids to be tempted to turn to eeeeeeevil.

Actually, we can't say that for sure...

Spoiler
    Show
    Otto's power looked pretty strong. And we don't know what Reed's power would have been, since he was suppressed. And (as far as we know) they are/were both only children.

Note that Otto may believe it skips generations, but no guarantee he is correct. After all, it looks like he got the energy blast (that the Strucker twins generated when together) all by himself.

It's possible that any Strucker siblings have additional powers when combined, but we don't have enough sibling groups to confirm. And having said that, how long before we discover that Reed has a long-lost sister....
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

I actually warmed to this series as it went along (so props to Debbie for putting it on our DVR) so Im kind of sad its coming to a close
    #GoreMutualarejerks

25. - Top - End - #85

It'll be back next year.