1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default The Living Rift [3.5 Creature, PEACH]

Prenumbral Maw
    Medium Outsider (Native)
    Hit Dice 10d8+40 (85)
    Speed 5 ft. (1 square)
    Initiative: +4
    Armor Class 16; touch +13; flat-footed +13 (+1 Deflection, +3 Natural)
    Base Attack/Grapple +10/+16 (+5 Grapple Bonus)
    Attack Slam +11 melee (1d8, 19-20/x2 + Maddening Touch)
    Full-Attack 3 Slam Attacks +10/+5 melee (1d8, 19-20/x2 + Maddening Touch)
    Space 5 ft.; Reach 5* ft.
    Special Attacks Draw Within, Improved Grab, Maddening Touch, Multi-Grapple
    Special Qualities Rift Body, Tendrils
    Saves Fort +8 10 Ref +9 Will +10
    Abilities Str 12, Dex 14, Con 18, Int 6, Wis 16, Cha 9
    Skills Hide +17, Listen +20, Spot +20, Survival +18
    Feats: Alertness, Blind Fight, Combat Reflexes, Improved InitiativeB, Improved Natural Armor
    Environment Any
    Organization Solitary
    Challenge Rating 10
    Treasure None
    Alignment Always True Neutral
    Advancement HD 11-15 (Medium), 16-20 (Large)

The Prenumbral Maw, as it is called, is one of the most rare and unusual sights upon the Material Plane, and for those who know what it is, amongst the most dreaded.
    It appears as a mobile swirling black vortex. While it fluctuates in size like the shore of the ocean, on average the vortex is about the size of a humanoid, though larger one have been reported. It is believed amongst the learned arcanists that the Prenumbral Maws as mortals see them are living planar rifts, leading to an extradimensional space. Whether they are individual entities or all part of the same, much larger being is unknown.

Combat
    When a Maw is close to a humanoid or other suitable target, large black tentacles emerge from it, grabbing the intended victim. Once the Maw has grabbed a victim, it begins to forcefully drag it into its swirling center.

Draw Within (Su): At the end of each turn if the Maw is currently grappling a creature, they must make a strength check (DC 16)or be moved 5ft closer to the possession of the Maw.

If this would cause the creature to enter the square of the Maw, the two must make opposing grapple checks. If the creature fails the check, they are pulled into the rift. After succeeding in its goal the Maw collapses upon itself, taking the creature with it.

The DM must then Roll d20. If a twenty is rolled the creature is lost forever (Excepting epic quests). If a number other than twenty is rolled the creature reappears in the exact spot the maw swallowed him a number of rounds later equal to the number rolled. When they reappear the creature has no memory of the events while it was within the rift.

Improved Grab (Ex): If a Prenumbral Maw hits with its Slam attack it deals normal and wisdom damage as above, and attempts a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of oportunity. No initial touch attack is required.

Maddening Touch (Su): On a successful hit with its slam attack the target is also dealt 1d4-2 wisdom damage.
    In addition at the end of a round any creature that is being grappled by the Maw must make a Will Save (DC 18) or be confused (as the spell).

Multi-Grapple (Ex): A Prenumbral Maw can grapple one creature per tendril, instead of only one creature. Also it can only grapple if someone is within range of 5ft of the end of one of its tendrils.

Rift Body (Ex): A Prenumbral Maw is practically indestructible and amazingly hard to locate while it is within its rift. If it is in its normal state it can hide without any concealment or cover, in addition to being immune to all forms of damage.
    As a full round action a Maw can Manifest. While manifesting its ability to hide without cover or concealment is lost, and its Tendril ability automatically activates without needing to use a move action.

But as a side-effect of existing within the rift, if it is under the effect of dimensional anchor or dimensional lock spell it is immediately Panicked, no save.

Tendrils (Ex): By spending a move action or when it manifests the Prenumbral Maw sends out three tendrils through the rift.
    The creature may select three foot squares within 20ft. The Tendril counts as existing in each square and a 5ft wide line which connects it to the Maw, for the purposes of attacking the Maw.
    The Maw on the other hand can only attack creatures within 5ft of the three squares selected.

If a tendril is attacked it deals damage to the Prenumbral Maw, bypassing its regular immunity to damage.

Skills: If a Prenumbral Maw isn't manifested it suffers a -25 penalty to all Listen, Search, and Spot checks. This penalty is lost when it is manifested.

Binding
    Animation
    Minor Taint: Small voids repeatedly appear and disappear on the constructs flesh.
    Moderate Taint: Air faintly swirls around construct.
    Major Taint: Minute tentacles emerge from the voids.
    Minor Trait: Can confuse for 1d4 rounds on hit; negated by Will Save (DC 12 + Charisma Modifier of Construct).
    Moderate Trait: Construct gains Blind Fight as Bonus Feats.
    Major Trait: Construct gains Improved Grab.

Aura
    Ambient Taint: Air weakly swirls around the center of the area.
    Manifested Taint: Tiny black voids are size as pin holes drift in the air.
    Aura Trait: Gains Rift Body (Doesn't gain Tendril).
    Last edited by Milo v3; 2012-07-16 at 06:45 PM.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Living Rift [3.5 Creature, PEACH]

OH NO! It's a Planar Maw! Walk away briskly!

Full-Attack 3 Slam Attacks +10/+5/-1 melee (1d8, 19-20/x2 + Maddening Touch)
    The attack scales quite oddly. Should it not be +10/+5? Where is the -1 coming from. I'm pretty sure that if it's for "off hand slams" then both off-hands are at +5.

The DM must then Roll d20. If a twenty is rolled the creature is lost forever (Excepting epic quests). If a number other than twenty is rolled the creature reappears in the exact spot the maw swallowed him a number of days later equal to the number rolled.
    This one I have minor design quibbles with in that if the players don't know that their buddies are going to reappear (and I would assume they don't) Then this is pretty much a "Win the Grapple or we're going to leave your bum behind"

Rift Body (Ex):
    Can it sense the world while in this rift? This is a non-trivial use question. If it can and is even moderately intelligent it can burst into the middle of the group and grapple three people in the first round.
    Having trouble writing up hard stat blocks but I'm doing a lot of sharing ideas and soft mechanics lately.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by The Mentalist View Post
    The attack scales quite oddly. Should it not be +10/+5? Where is the -1 coming from. I'm pretty sure that if it's for "off hand slams" then both off-hands are at +5.
    It had three attacks so it seems I gave it three lots of base attack...
    I was rather sleepy when I orginally wrote this. I'll fix.

This one I have minor design quibbles with in that if the players don't know that their buddies are going to reappear (and I would assume they don't) Then this is pretty much a "Win the Grapple or we're going to leave your bum behind"
    This was part of the request. But it is integral with the concept that they get trapped in the rift and that they suddenly reappear later in time.

Can it sense the world while in this rift? This is a non-trivial use question. If it can and is even moderately intelligent it can burst into the middle of the group and grapple three people in the first round.
    I'll weaken its senses while not manifested.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    It had three attacks so it seems I gave it three lots of base attack...
    I was rather sleepy when I orginally wrote this. I'll fix.
    Happens to the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    This was part of the request. But it is integral with the concept that they get trapped in the rift and that they suddenly reappear later in time.
    Rounds could work better for that I think. It gets them out of combat but doesn't remove them from the game. (If it's a request and they like it then whatever is fine but I really think that it's a character suicide to fail a grapple against this thing, and the party sneak attack monkey would probably fail a grapple against this thing.
    Having trouble writing up hard stat blocks but I'm doing a lot of sharing ideas and soft mechanics lately.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by The Mentalist View Post
    Happens to the best.

Rounds could work better for that I think. It gets them out of combat but doesn't remove them from the game. (If it's a request and they like it then whatever is fine but I really think that it's a character suicide to fail a grapple against this thing, and the party sneak attack monkey would probably fail a grapple against this thing.
    I've changed it to rounds.
    Show