New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGirl

Default [D&D 3.5] Warforged and Armor

I've been looking up warforged a lot recently, but the whole armor thing just confounds me. Been disusing Warforged with a friend of mine who was relatively new to DnD.

Friend: Started looking up Warforged components. A lot of possibilities here, parts that add bonuses to picking locks, spot/listen, darkvision...
    Me: Yeah, but what about armor?
    Me: ._.
    Friend: They're made of metal.
    Me: Yeah, but that Composite plating only gives a +2 bonus to armor, equal to light leather armor, compared to a suit of full plate, which gives 8 armor bonus.
    Friend: Can they wear armor?
    Me: No
    Friend: No one has ever made custom built armor that a warforged could wear?
    Friend: Or, ya'know, attached armor plating to a warforged?
    Friend: This is not rocket science.

... He has a point. Maybe I just haven't found anything about it yet, is there any way to have an armor bonus equivalent to Full Plate?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [D&D 3.5] Warforged and Armor

The (Material) Body feats can change the Warforged's composite plating; Mithral Body is about equivalent to a mithral breastplate, IIRC, and Adamantine Body gives the same stats as Adamantine Full Plate. Other than that I'm not aware of anything, but if desired it wouldn't be much of a stretch to make said feats available as purchasable component upgrades instead.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Take the Adamantine Body feat. Bonus equivalent to full plate, and you can actually take it at level 1. (Full plate, by WBL, is normally not available at Lv 1). It gives the same ACPs as masterwork full plate and adds to your fortification.

The Mithral Body feat gives you a +5 armor bonus and a smaller armor check penalty.

All warforged armor can be enchanted as if they were masterwork armor.

Also noteworthy: the warforged default Composite Plating counts as UNARMORED, and thus stacks with the Monk AC bonus, for what it's worth.

EDIT: I was counting on being Shadow Hand Swordsage'd on this one.
    Last edited by AslanCross; 2010-08-10 at 09:48 PM.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

RogueGuy

Its a feat that can be taken at level one. You can have a variety of types of armor. The full plate option is adamintine plateing. It grants full plate like armor the same as adimantine full plate.

At level one...

Yeah... Warforged are powerful as a race.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Zerkai View Post
    I've been looking up warforged a lot recently, but the whole armor thing just confounds me. Been disusing Warforged with a friend of mine who was relatively new to DnD.

Friend: Started looking up Warforged components. A lot of possibilities here, parts that add bonuses to picking locks, spot/listen, darkvision...
    Me: Yeah, but what about armor?
    Me: ._.
    Friend: They're made of metal.
    Me: Yeah, but that Composite plating only gives a +2 bonus to armor, equal to light leather armor, compared to a suit of full plate, which gives 8 armor bonus.
    Friend: Can they wear armor?
    Me: No
    Friend: No one has ever made custom built armor that a warforged could wear?
    Friend: Or, ya'know, attached armor plating to a warforged?
    Friend: This is not rocket science.

... He has a point. Maybe I just haven't found anything about it yet, is there any way to have an armor bonus equivalent to Full Plate?
    That's about it. Their plating actually occupy the armor slot, so either they replace the plating or remove it entirely (both require a feat). It can be enhanced as a suit of armor would, tho.

6. - Top - End - #6

DrowGirl

Ah, thanks for the help guys :D

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Just for reference, the feats are available in the Eberron Campaign Setting and in Monster Manual III (which features the Eberron races minus Kalashtar).

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

There is also the ironwood(?) plating for warforged druids.
    Think there is a plating feat that lets you be unplated so no spell failure. I do recall you are actually able to wear robes and armor with that one.
    Would have to look it up to be sure, I might later.
    "Quick Draw. It grants the ability to turn any boring non-combat scenario into combat as a FREE ACTION."-Deleted User

Handy links:

9. - Top - End - #9

Why, for reasons other than "balance," does changing the armor plating on a Warforged require a feat rather than a modest sum of gold? A feat is more of a new trick your character has learned, while changing the armored plating is more along the lines of an equipment change. I don't see why you couldn't find someone experienced with how Warforged are put together and ask him to rebuild you, for a price, unless the external plating is attached firmly to the parts beneath to the point where removal is nigh impossible after creation.
    Last edited by dgnslyr; 2010-08-10 at 11:10 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Escheton View Post
    There is also the ironwood(?) plating for warforged druids.
    Think there is a plating feat that lets you be unplated so no spell failure. I do recall you are actually able to wear robes and armor with that one.
    Would have to look it up to be sure, I might later.
    That's called Unarmored Body. Indeed, you can wear armor in that form, but it's kind of counter productive to take a feat to be just like everyone else.
    Last edited by AslanCross; 2010-08-10 at 11:22 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dgnslyr View Post
    Why, for reasons other than "balance," does changing the armor plating on a Warforged require a feat rather than a modest sum of gold? A feat is more of a new trick your character has learned, while changing the armored plating is more along the lines of an equipment change. I don't see why you couldn't find someone experienced with how Warforged are put together and ask him to rebuild you, for a price, unless the external plating is attached firmly to the parts beneath to the point where removal is nigh impossible after creation.
    essentially, that's the same as asking for a new skin. once you're on the opperating table, you have a good chance of habving all your insides fall out (which warforged, who have wooden insides rather than metal have to consider as well, since it'll fall out too. what, you didn't think they get that ability to heal using cure spells from their metal, did you?). Every species would be wary of something like that, construct or otherwise. sure, you could find someone who is incredibly skilled with warforged and can make a new body for one, but who would find the time, intelligence, and do the research for something with so little a market?

Technically though, feat retraining will do that for you

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AslanCross View Post
    That's called Unarmored Body. Indeed, you can wear armor in that form, but it's kind of counter productive to take a feat to be just like everyone else.
    But think of the flavor! The people on the Flavor Op board love this sorta thing...uhm...wait, ow yeah, nvm.

It fits well with the prestigeclass that slowly turns you into a real boy.

But seriously:
    It would allow the warforged rogue/fighter to fix traps with no armor check penalty and simply insta-don his called fullplate when combat breaks out.

Also nice for magerobes.
    "Quick Draw. It grants the ability to turn any boring non-combat scenario into combat as a FREE ACTION."-Deleted User

Handy links:

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Reforged get to trade out their Body feats for free anyway. I think they get Unarmored Body at their last level, or at least something like it.

If you want to put additional plating on a warforged, enchant his existing armor and say you're adding extra layers.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2010-08-11 at 05:30 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

But think of the flavor! The people on the Flavor Op board love this sorta thing...uhm...wait, ow yeah, nvm.

But seriously:
    It would allow the warforged rogue/fighter to fix traps with no armor check penalty and simply insta-don his called fullplate when combat breaks out.

Also nice for magerobes.
    Reforged gets Unarmored body automatically, as mentioned above. But yes, you do have a point. Actually, armor with the "called" property (forget what it's called exactly) can instantly appear on the warforged's body. One can take advantage of that, I guess.

15. - Top - End - #15

Goblin

but who would find the time, intelligence, and do the research for something with so little a market?
    House Cannith?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

As stated above, most modifications to a Warforged's plating require 1st-level-only feats.

So, my advice is as follows:
    Either pick the plating you want at character creation, or, have someone make a suit of armour for the warforged that is slotless.
    Or, make a cloak that gives an armour bonus (warforged can still wear cloaks).

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I've read it around here somewhere though, a level 1 feat that is worth around 16,000g is not too shabby. Because for lower levels the adamantite body feat is pretty powerful. In the long run however, losing a feat can be upsetting. So my advice is to plan around the expected length of the campaign I suppose.
    Last edited by Edelweiss; 2010-09-09 at 04:17 PM.
    "That's Edelweiss, supposed to be the mark of a true soldier. It only grows on the alps above the treeline, which means he climbed up there to get it." - Lieutenant Louis Nixon, Easy Company, 2nd battalion, 506th

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AslanCross View Post
    It gives the same ACPs as masterwork full plate and adds to your fortification.

The Mithral Body feat gives you a +5 armor bonus and a smaller armor check penalty.
    No. It's not a real ACP, which are doubled for swim. It's actually just a straight up penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by dgnslyr View Post
    Go to a plastic surgeon, and ask them to cut your skin off and sew a different ethnicity of skin on. We'll see how long you live through that, eh?
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

19. - Top - End - #19

Beholder

You CAN make a warforged armor upgrade:

Quote Originally Posted by ECS pg. 268
    A warforged component usually occupies the same
    space on the body that a magic item of the same kind normally
    would. Components that do not occupy any space on
    the body cost twice what they would cost as ordinary magic
    items.
    This means that you can make warforged armor with the right spells. However, don't count on it being able to explicitly have armor qualities but that should be left to the DM to decide. Warforged mage armor generator? Sure. Sunbeam gem or crystal lenses, and so on.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't see why you can't just make Warforged Barding. IIRC the Armor/Robe slot restriction only applies for magic item effects.

21. - Top - End - #21

Beholder

Barding takes up the armor slot. You can only wear one suit of armor at any given time, mundane or magical.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

While mechanically, the loss of a feat kind of sucks, at least if you're playing a long term game, it's still the best way to represent how different Warforged are.

They were created in their current form as is from the production line. That feat and its "only available at first level" thing represents the fact that they were made that way to begin with. They aren't shaped like humans. They're war machines, built specifically for battle. It really does give them some great flavor.
    Assassin avatar by the awesome Elder Tsofu.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Another point in favor of the Body feats is your prison warden can't steal your skin the way he could armor. Kind of an iffy bonus though, as it might just make them kill you instead.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    Go to a plastic surgeon, and ask them to cut your skin off and sew a different ethnicity of skin on. We'll see how long you live through that, eh?
    Problem being, in this game you can swim around in molten rock for a while and be fine after you cleric buddy says "Healburnsadioso!". Also grafts, which do exactly this, but for organic people. If meatbag here can replace his eyes, tendons, muscles and spine for cash, why not the guy who is actually machinelike?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saurus33 View Post
    Problem being, in this game you can swim around in molten rock for a while and be fine after you cleric buddy says "Healburnsadioso!". Also grafts, which do exactly this, but for organic people. If meatbag here can replace his eyes, tendons, muscles and spine for cash, why not the guy who is actually machinelike?
    I suppose they're more complex or something. I mean, it takes a creation forge to make them, and those are artifacts.

26. - Top - End - #26

Beholder

They can, it's called Craft Magic Arms and Armor. If the Warforged would like to change their armor later, just add the cost of the modified armor type into the magical item crafting. As long as you pay the cost, you should be able to do it. Keep in mind though, that the warforged will have to be present during all the crafting time.

You couldn't for instance, change their standard armor into adamantine armor unless you also made it into adamantine +1 armor. However, doing this wouldn't qualify you for any feats that require any of the body-type feats.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hague View Post
    They can, it's called Craft Magic Arms and Armor. If the Warforged would like to change their armor later, just add the cost of the modified armor type into the magical item crafting. As long as you pay the cost, you should be able to do it. Keep in mind though, that the warforged will have to be present during all the crafting time.

You couldn't for instance, change their standard armor into adamantine armor unless you also made it into adamantine +1 armor. However, doing this wouldn't qualify you for any feats that require any of the body-type feats.
    It doesn't work that way. You have to have built an item of the special material to begin with.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    I suppose they're more complex or something. I mean, it takes a creation forge to make them, and those are artifacts.
    Well, did you expect them to imbue a piece of steel and other random parts with intelligence using a regular hammer and anvil? That's a little tough.
    Extended Signature

Óla tha eínai éna.

Avatar by Dorian Soth Thormag. Thanks a bunch.

29. - Top - End - #29

Beholder

Where does it say that? You telling me there aren't spells that can transmute one material into another? Why not? As long as I preserve the actual cost in gp then there is no difference between making a breastplate out of steel by hand and fabricating it.

You can't declare an absolute like that in a game full of wonder.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hague View Post
    Where does it say that? You telling me there aren't spells that can transmute one material into another? Why not? As long as I preserve the actual cost in gp then there is no difference between making a breastplate out of steel by hand and fabricating it.

You can't declare an absolute like that in a game full of wonder.
    If there are rules for transmuting steel to adamantite, I certainly have never heard of them.