New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion Thread VII: Playground Eternal Essence

That is the weird thing about Exalted. It is quite literally the bizarro world of RPG's

Instead of playing it for the system and making their own fluff, Exalted players play it for the fluff despite having a bad system.

Instead of hating every new edition and errata that comes out, Exalted players slowly go crazy waiting for them, eagerly wanting it come out soon to fix their problems.

Instead of spending all their time trying to break the system like normal, they constantly try to fix it instead instead, because the system is so easy to break.

Instead of taking a lax view of fluff, the players actively defend and keep the fluff the same because it is so awesome.

and so on, and so forth….
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

2. - Top - End - #782
    Troll in the Playground

It's okay Story Time. I appreciate your feelings. *pat pat*

I know what'll make you feel better.

3. - Top - End - #783
    Troll in the Playground

*puts the keyboard piece back into place*

I have a heretical charm that let's me resist the mental influence of ponies.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

4. - Top - End - #784
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    It's okay Story Time. I appreciate your feelings. *pat pat*

I know what'll make you feel better.

You know, I'm by no stretch of the word a "brony", but that's an amazing picture.
    Take your best shot, everyone else does.
    Avatar by Guildorn Tanaleth. See other avatars below.

Spoiler
    Show
    My original avatar and much better ones by groundhog22 and a Winter Olympics one by Rae Artemi.

5. - Top - End - #785
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTarget View Post
    You know, I'm by no stretch of the word a "brony", but that's an amazing picture.
    I trimmed it down some. Here is a bigger version if you want it:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post

This is heresy in the truest sense.
    Last edited by Xefas; 2011-11-02 at 08:47 PM.

6. - Top - End - #786
    Bugbear in the Playground

7. - Top - End - #787
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post

Beh. I think mine is only Celestial-strength. I like ponies, but I'm not crazy about them.

Nevertheless….

*puts keyboard piece back into place* I have to type with that. find something else to pop out of.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2011-11-02 at 08:53 PM.

8. - Top - End - #788
    Titan in the Playground

Story Time, I respect your wish to no discuss things, if I don't necessarily understand it. Especially since I wouldn't view any people on this forum Exalted Fanatics, and the topic wasn't really a mechanical one, nor are such non-mechanical discussions frowned upon in the thread.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

9. - Top - End - #789
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

I'm quite fervent in my stance of Sol=Pelor camp.
    Youth and strenght alvays lose to age and treachery.

10. - Top - End - #790
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rikandur Azebol View Post
    I'm quite fervent in my stance of Sol=Pelor camp.
    So... Sol the Burning Hate?

Yeah, I think I can get behind that. He can get more successes than Malfeas on a roll to hate humanity.

11. - Top - End - #791

GnomePirate

Extacly the same amount of trace evidences trickling, as with Pelor, Xefas.

People love to say he was good because he offered himself as a "hostage" in place of a mortal captured by Primodials during the war. Let me shed some shadow on this blinding light to outline fine details:
    -Primodials don't capture the idea about mortals being worth mentioning. Concluding, this couldn't be mere mortal.
    -Another source claim that said captured mortal was Merala. A lady well known for the fact that she was Sol's favorite, and had more behind the scenes dealings with her Patron than other Solars. What could Primodial executioners/torturers squeeze out of her ? Invaluable informations about Anti-Primodial Coalition, that is for sure.
    Concluding, it was pragmatic decision ... not compassionate.
    -Let's think if Sol was in any danger due to him being "hostage" of those horrible Primodials.
    He was doted on and favorite son of Empyreal Chaos. So no, daddy wouldn't let harm come the way of his favorite sonny.
    Concluding, Sol also had his Perfect Defense with Indefinite duration up.

12. - Top - End - #792
    Ogre in the Playground

Concluding, Sol also had his Perfect Defense with Indefinite duration up.
    And the fact that he had that defense meant that it was a temperate action to offer himself, because he was the least at risk. Self-justifying indefinite PD.
    A Devil-Tiger would be proud to have that kind of theme.
    "I cannot be defeated because I am absolutely self-assured that I cannot be defeated."
    Last edited by aetherialDawn; 2011-11-03 at 12:28 AM.
    Spoiler: Quotes Collection
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    I think we can pack it up and move to a different thread. aetherialDawn has won this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuna
    Sufficiently advanced paranoia is indistinguishable from complacency.

Avatar by me - sketch of Skywing.
    Exalted: Scriptures of the Castes PM me suggestions!

13. - Top - End - #793

GnomePirate

I think that Xefas, the Ultimate Bunny could shed some insights on the fact if Devil-Tiger would or would not be proud of aping the Sol. I am merely Raksha worshipper and chaos-cultist, thus my insight into inner dealings of the GSPs is somewhat biased.
    Last edited by Rikandur Azebol; 2011-11-03 at 12:43 AM.

14. - Top - End - #794
    Ogre in the Playground

I think that Xefas, the Ultimate Bunny could shed some insights on the fact if Devil-Tiger would or would not be proud of aping the Sol. I am merely Raksha worshipper and chaos-cultist, thus my insight into inner dealings of the GSPs is somewhat biased.
    Aping Sol? Hardly.
    After all, Sol has trouble keeping temperate to maintain his bonus.
    A Devil-Tiger is simply invincible by their assurance in their own unassailable nature.
    Instead of being a matter of pride like the Primordials, it is instead a matter of their very charms.
    Spoiler: Quotes Collection
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    I think we can pack it up and move to a different thread. aetherialDawn has won this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuna
    Sufficiently advanced paranoia is indistinguishable from complacency.

Avatar by me - sketch of Skywing.
    Exalted: Scriptures of the Castes PM me suggestions!

15. - Top - End - #795
    Ogre in the Playground

Incidentally, I disagree on your interpretation, Rikandur.

He had his perfect Temperance defense. Fine. That's one of the Virtues: he embodies it.

But he was also acting with compassion. Just because something's the right course of action doesn't mean that it's not compassionate (or Compassionate). Sol is calculating. That's something he can do. Where's your point?
    If I creep into your house in the dead of night and strangle you while you sleep, you probably messed up your grammar.

I'm always extremely careful to hedge myself against absolute statements.

16. - Top - End - #796
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Random_person View Post
    Just because something's the right course of action doesn't mean that it's not compassionate.

17. - Top - End - #797

GnomePirate

Random_Person@ Because Compassion isn't equal with "ruthlessly calculated decision". It make You suffer instead of someone else. Sol didn't suffer at all, ergo it wasn't compassionate of him, merely pragmatic.

And I would argue about what(or who) he embodies. Were he be embodying Virtues he would die the first time he breached one of them.

Like i half-joked with Xefas, the Enemy of Carrot the similarities between Sol and Pelor are frightening, for all people believing Sol would have restrains from doing someday Order 66 on Creation.
    Last edited by Rikandur Azebol; 2011-11-03 at 02:49 AM.

18. - Top - End - #798
    Troll in the Playground

Random_Person@ Because Compassion isn't equal with "ruthlessly calculated decision". It make You suffer instead of someone else. Sol didn't suffer at all, ergo it wasn't compassionate of him, merely pragmatic.
    Compassion doesn't mean you have to suffer, it just means you have to make someone else not suffer, even at your expense if necessary. What kind of absurd view of compassion is that? Is the man who volunteers at a soup kitchen out of a desire to help not compassionate because he isn't being beaten in the face for it?
    Last edited by Drascin; 2011-11-03 at 03:45 AM.

19. - Top - End - #799

GnomePirate

Drascin, You mistake here the suffering that have a scaling with suffering at it's more painful/dangerous point of the scale.

Going to the kitchen duty instead of someone is a suffering, Your time and effort put into it is a sufferance. If You happen to find a delicious cake and eat it while on kitchen duty the qualifier of Your act changes from compassion to self-benefit.

And Sol saw the cake from far away, he started rebellion just to get at it.

20. - Top - End - #800
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    *picture-snip*
    There is no Always. There is only Imperfection.

I would not be compassionate to a serial killer.

21. - Top - End - #801
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post

Then you, good sir, do not have Compassion 5.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

22. - Top - End - #802
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    Then you, good sir, do not have Compassion 5.
    and all the better for it. imbalance is the enemy of the world.

23. - Top - End - #803
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post

I would. I'm not saying I'd put them ahead of other people or wouldn't take steps to reign them in/make them "learn their lesson," but I would feel empathy if they were suffering and (if possible to do it without endangering others) would take steps to alleviate unnecessary suffering.

*Shrug*

I mean, most everyone I meet nowadays is monstrous in some way or another. Why am I going to draw the line at on point but give others a free pass?
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

24. - Top - End - #804
    Troll in the Playground

Drascin, You mistake here the suffering that have a scaling with suffering at it's more painful/dangerous point of the scale.

Going to the kitchen duty instead of someone is a suffering, Your time and effort put into it is a sufferance. If You happen to find a delicious cake and eat it while on kitchen duty the qualifier of Your act changes from compassion to self-benefit.

I remain by my statement. If time and effort is a sufferance, then what Sol did in exchanging himself for that mortal was also a sufferance - he was there instead of being anywhere else, he had to challenge his father and spend his time and effort enduring the jeers of the Primordials instead of, you know, any place better (which would be anywhere else in the universe than in front of a bunch of self-absorbed psychos who would find your suffering funny). And if they managed to make him lower his fulcrums even once he would be very, very soon wish he was dead.

I realize you don't like Sol. Hell, I don't like him either. But the example you were trying to use against him just didn't follow.
    Last edited by Drascin; 2011-11-03 at 11:23 AM.

25. - Top - End - #805
    Troll in the Playground

See, I'd have to disagree on all points here. I've volunteered at the local food pantry before, and I wouldn't call it suffering in the least. Certainly not when you get to see the joyed expressions on people's faces when they see just how much food they get.

And then there's the time someone brought in donuts for everyone working at the pantry. Does that mean that everyone who ate a doughnut is a heartless bastard who enjoys kicking puppies?

And isn't the whole reasoning that TUS wanted to overthrow the Primodrials just fandom speculation and nothing actually found in the books? I haven't read anything suggesting that.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

26. - Top - End - #806

Quote Originally Posted by Gensh View Post
    "With the allegiance of Autochthon, the complicity of Gaia and the aid of the Exalted, the gods set out to overthrow the Primordials and take the Games of Divinity for themselves." - Roll of Glorious Divinity, p.9

The beginning of the paragraph in question debatably paints Sol in a more heroic light, but I seem to remember his initial declaration to the rest of the gods as being specifically about the Games. I just can't remember where I read it.
    For reference, the entire passage is:

"In secret, the Unconquered Sun, highest and most virtuous of the gods, to whom the Primordials had granted the greatest will that he might form an invincible bulwark against the Wyld, made plans for a coming war. He gathered together trusted conspirators and began searching for gifted mortal heroes. With the allegiance of Autochthon, the complicity of Gaia and the aid of the Exalted, the gods set out to overthrow the Primordials and take the Games of Divinity for themselves."

As I mentioned, the beginning of the passage implies that he did it for humanity's sake. That he crowned his lover Merela as Queen of Creation and then retired to the Games is what calls his virtue into question.

27. - Top - End - #807

GnomePirate

Drascin, my point in that was the fact that Sol was rather safe with Empyreal Chaos. Remember the bit about him being the favored son of the King of Primodials ? Now Malfeas hates everything, himself the most, but then he certainly could express "benevolence" . Thus Sol risked nothing in going to the Yu-Shan ... perhaps except playing the Games of Divinity. Everywhere else in the universe was raging utter madness of Primodial War.
    But I don't press my point, in case of Sol being not so "holy" I have better evidence (from canon article about Daystar) than his similarities with Pelor and trace evidences of blatant hypocrisy on his part. I just like to point my finger and chuckle that "King is neekid !" because I find it fun. Forgive my imperfection.

Turasjil, and I both understand that You have different view than me and do not understand what the situation You evoked here, as Your example, have to do with my example for Drascin.

You volunteered. Right ? It was act of ... dunno, Conviction I think.
    You did not take someone else's place to spare him or her their due.

My ... argument exchange with Drascin was taken from the earlier half-joking comment, from me, that Sol is like Pelor. And Xefas hadn't disagreed with me, by saying:
    "Sol the Burning Hate ? I guess You might be right ... after all he can gain more successes than anyone on hate roll, even than Malfeas."
    Forgive me if the citation is only from my fallible memory and probably contain inconsistencies, Xefas.

As the "trace evidence" for Sol's hidden duplicity I evoked the famous hostage scene where Sol exchanged himself for a mortal that Primodials captured.
    I admit that I probably had overused Liquid Sarcasm while tearing apart this situation for hidden motives and stuff, and now some angry Solars will chase me off into Pure Chaos, again.

Drascin disagreed with me and You got caught up in the cross-fire. Sorry Turalisj. Now, I would like to hear Your opinion on the several other things I hold as cracks on the immaculate image of Sol.

-Daystar's bio contains info about Sol obliterating whole parallel Creation-equivalent. After pushing it away from Creation. Comment ?

-My rotting wound, for I love dinosaurs and by extension I am fond of dragons and Dragon Kings. Why Sol pissed from high tower on them after getting humans as his worshipers ?

-Daystar's bio contain lies he told to Merala. About why he didn't attacked Primodials and didn't used Daystar against them. We all know for fact that Daystar can't be used, due to programming, against Creation except the Echnaton Lock ... wich Sol destroyed out of guilt and/or shock after world-destruction he caused in the neighbor Carejoon. Truth is that Sol couldn't lift a finger against Primodials. Instead of admitting his helplessness he told Merala he had noble reasons to not lift a finger in Primodial War.

And if, because of his noble reasons, Creation unravels ... everyone will be happy ? Especially Raksha, now alone with the Unshaped.

28. - Top - End - #808
    Titan in the Playground

I got the weirdest idea for an Abyssal:

Basically a Midnight Caste that looked into the Void for too long and got a really high Whispers, but not in the Neverborn, but in Oblivion itself, and after long periods of pondering and looking at the Void, suddenly came to revelation that Neverborn are false and that they weren't true worshippers of Oblivion and simply want to exploit it for their own gain.
    and furthermore, this Midnight Caste developed this philosophy that since Oblivion destroys all things, it obviously destroys time. Therefore, to Oblivion's point of view, it has already destroyed time, and has already destroyed everything. Therefore there is no need to speed up the process, since Oblivion has no sense of time anyways, since one day the illusion of time will be shattered one day so that all can see the truth that everything is already destroyed……yet at the same time, never was destroyed, since time hasn't happened yet because it was destroyed.

and therefore, do whatever you want. Oblivion destroys all boundaries, therefore the only thing left is pure freedom. Oblivion will someday destroy time therefore it doesn't matter how much time actually passes, or what is done while time does pass. that is this weird Abyssal's philosophy.
    Meaning the Abyssal is rebelling against the Neverborn and the Death Lords, to preach the truth of Oblivion, not the lies spouted by the Neverborn and its servants. The truth is that Oblivion does not care about anything, since to its point of view it has already destroyed everything, therefore should anyone care about something that has already happened? Do whatever you want.

What do you think?

29. - Top - End - #809

Good idea. Find a story-teller that will let you play it.

30. - Top - End - #810
    Troll in the Playground

Who stuck Albert Einstein in a Monstrous?

That was my first thought, honestly.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show