New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Angel Grove Is Under Attack! [PEACH]

Truly, my nerdiness knows no bounds.

Anywho, the idea here is to create a base class for a Power Ranger/Super Sentai/Kamen Rider sort of character. Tis my first homebrew character, so be gentle.

Here Goes:

Sentai

In times of great crisis, certain special men and woman (with attitude) are chosen by the ruler of the area and granted enchanted weapons and armor to fight off the threat. These items are tied to the warrior's own spirit, may be summoned at will and grow in power as they do.
    Adventures: Sentai are specifically chosen to do heroic deeds, and so it is quite common to find them on quests, slaying monsters, or rescuing childrens' cats from trees. However, as they tied to the service of a specific master of lord, they rarely venture further than the nearest city, unless times are especially dire.
    Alignment: Sentai are primarily good, however it is not unheard of for an evil sorceror or wizard to power and evil sentai to serve him/her. Regardless of this, Sentai are always lawful.
    Race: Humans are most commonly made sentai, as their natural adaptability is well suited for the position. However, any race can become a sentai.

HD: d8

Class Skills: (6 x Int) Balance, Climb, Concentration, Diplomacy Heal, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Listen, Perform, Profession, Ride, Search, Sense Motive, Spot, Survival, Swim, Tumble, Use Magic Device and Use Rope

Sentai
    {table=head]Level|BA Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|AC Bonus|Special|1st|2nd|3rd|4th

1st|
    +1
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +1
    |Unarmed Strike, Henshin!, Dynamic Pose

2nd|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |
    +1
    |Signature Weapon

3rd|
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |Upgrade Weapon, Teamwork Aura

4th|
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +2
    |Mecha, Slow Fall 20 ft.|0

5th|
    +5
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +2
    |Upgrade Weapon, Bonus Feat|0

6th|
    +6/+1
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |Jumping Kick, Dual Wield|1

7th|
    +7/+2
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +3
    |Upgrade Weapon, Upgrade Armor|1

8th|
    +8/+3
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +2
    |
    +3
    |Deflect Arrows, Slow Fall 30 ft.|1|0

9th|
    +9/+4
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Upgrade Weapon|1|0

10th|
    +10/+5
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |
    +3
    |
    +4
    |Super Henshin|1|1

11th|
    +11/+6/+1
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |
    +3
    |
    +4
    |Upgrade Weapon, Upgrade Armor|1|1|0

12th|
    +12/+7/+2
    |
    +8
    |
    +8
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |Greater Teamwork Aura|1|1|1

13th|
    +13/+8/+3
    |
    +8
    |
    +8
    |
    +4
    |
    +5
    |Upgrade Weapon, Slow Fall 50 ft.|1|1|1

14th|
    +14/+9/+4
    |
    +9
    |
    +9
    |
    +4
    |
    +5
    |Bonus Feat|2|1|1|0

15th|
    +15/+10/+5
    |
    +9
    |
    +9
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |Upgrade Armor, Upgrade Weapon|2|1|1|1

16th|
    +16/+11/+6/+1
    |
    +10
    |
    +10
    |
    +5
    |
    +6
    |Lay On Hands, Courageous Blow|2|2|1|1

17th|
    +17/+12/+7/+2
    |
    +10
    |
    +10
    |
    +5
    |
    +6
    |Upgrade Weapon|2|2|2|1

18th|
    +18/+13/+8/+3
    |
    +11
    |
    +11
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |Slow Fall 70 ft. Enhanced Speed|3|2|2|1

19th|
    +19/+14/+9/+4
    |
    +11
    |
    +11
    |
    +6
    |
    +7
    |Upgrade Weapon, Upgrade Armor, Greater Courageous Blow|3|3|3|2

20th|
    +20/+15/+10/+5
    |
    +12
    |
    +12
    |
    +6
    |
    +7
    |Ultimate Henshin, Bonus Feat|3|3|3|3[/table]

A Sentai's spells are chosen from the Ranger list and cast the same way as a Ranger.

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A sentai is proficient with his signature weapon. He is not proficient with any armor of shields.

Abilities

Unarmed Strike: Same as Monk.

Henshin!: (1 x Sentai Level) per day as a free action, the sentai may invoke the powers granted to him by his master, granting him the mystical armor which he uses to fight. This effect temporarily replaces any armor the sentai may already be wearing with a brightly colored, streamlined battlesuit. When this is in affect, give the sentai additional temporary points of str, dex and con equal to his str, dex and con modifiers. (For instance, if the sentai has an initial str of 13, add his modifier of +1 to that, giving him a new str score of 14, and a new modifer of +2.) Any additional points of con do not grant additional hit points. With the exception of Unarmed Strike, he must have henshin activated to access any of his sentai abilities. The henshin may be dismissed at any time as a free action.

Dynamic Pose: When activating his henshin, the sentai may decide to do that as a standard action. If he does so, he strikes a mighty pose, granting all allies within viewing range a +2 moral bonus on all saving throws until his henshin expires.

Signature Weapon: At 2nd level, a sentai becomes proficient with one basic, martial or exotic weapon. When henshined, he can summon as a free action a single weapon of that type. This is treated as +1 enchanted weapon of his size category. If the weapon is removed from the sentai's hands for more than one round, it dissolves into the aether. If this happens, or if the weapon is destroyed, the sentai may summon another one as another free action.

Upgrade Weapon: Starting at 3rd level, and every other level afterward, the sentai may improve upon his weapon by applying one of these affects to it. A new affect may be applied with each upgrade, however the same upgrade cannot be taken multiple times, unless stated otherwise:

An additional +1 to the weapon. This upgrade may be applied multiple times.

For the rest, see the AaE Guide:

Binding
    Commanding
    Corrosive
    Crazed
    Disarming
    Energy Aura
    Eager
    Everbright
    Fortunate
    Radiant
    Stunning
    Sweeping

Teamwork Aura: A sentai is now skilled at working in tandem with other sentai members. Each allied sentai gains a +1 moral bonus to attack roles when fighting against the same enemies.

Mecha: When fighting against a colossal or larger sized foe, a sentai may summon his giant robot to fight in his stead. A mecha is treated similarly to a ranger's animal companion, however it is a humanoid shaped colossal construct. Additionally, rather than traveling constantly with the sentai, it may be summoned from out of the aether as a full round action but only when the sentai faces a colossal or larger opponent. The mecha's status growth is described near the bottom of the page.

Slow Fall: The same as the monk ability. It is upgraded periodically as the sentai levels up.

Jumping Kick: The sentai may use its movie action for the round to jump towards and kick the enemy. The sentai must perform a jump check (DC=10+1 for every 5 feet of distance.) If this succeeds, they immediately move up to the foe and use a single unarmed attack against it.

Dual Wield: At 6th level, the sentai gains the Two Weapon Fighting feat, even if he does not have the prerequisites for it. Additionally, when summoning his signature weapon, the sentai may choose to summon a second copy of it with which to dual wield. Any upgrades granted to the intial weapon are granted to the second one as well.

Upgrade Armor: The sentai's henshin based armor now grants +1 DR. This increases by an another one point for every upgrade. In addition to this, choose one of the following effects. The same rules apply as with upgrading weapons:

An additional +1 to AC.
    An additional +1 to DR.

From the AaE Guide:
    Acidic
    Aquatic
    Arrow Catchin
    Buffering
    Daylight
    Distracting
    Feathered
    Sacred
    Wrapping

Deflect Arrows: Same as the feat, except that the sentai may use it when holding his signature weapon(s).

Super Henshin: At 10th level, the sentai receives an upgraded version of his standard henshin ability. From this point on, add the sentai's modifiers to his ability scores twice when henshinning. (A 13 str with a +1 modifer would temporarily be 15 str with a +2 modifier for the duration of the henshin.) Additionally, the sentai may take a proficiency in a second weapon type and be able to summon this weapon it in the place of his original one (or two, or one of each if he is dual wielding.) Any upgrades granted to the first weapon apply to the second as well.

Greater Teamwork Aura: At 12th level, the sentai's teamwork aura improves so that it now affects non-sentai teammates.

Lay On Hands: Same as Paladin ability

Courageous Blow: The sentai can now apply his charisma modifier to his attack rolls.

Enhanced Speed: The sentai's armor now grants him an improved running pace. Increase his base speed while henshinned by 60 ft.

Greater Courageous Blow: The sentai may now apply both his wisdom and charisma modifiers to his attack rolls while henshinned.

Ultimate Henshin: At level 20, a sentai may maintain his henshinned state indefinitely, although he may still dismiss it at will. The sentai may now take a proficiency in a third type of weapon. Lastly, increase all of the sentai's ability scores by 1.

---
    Code of Conduct: A sentai must maintain the same alignment as the one granting him his powers. Should he commit sufficient acts to change his alignment, he looses the ability to gain sentai levels, cast sentai spells, and henshin, until he redeems himself or finds a new master better fitting his new code of conduct.
    ---

Mecha

A Mecha is a construct of colossal size which essentially serves as the sentai's equivalent of a familiar. A mecha increases in level for every 4th level the sentai gains. It's ability scores are equal to the sentai's except with size modifiers for a colossal sized entity taken into account and that as a construct, it has no intelligence score. It's HD are equal half those of the sentai's, plus the bonus it gains from leveling up.
    A mecha's stat growth is as follows:

MECHA
    {table=head]Sentai Level|Bonus HD|BA Bonus|Natural Armor Bonus|Special

4th-7th|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |Power Attack

8th-11th|
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |Evasion

12th-15th|
    +10
    |
    +10
    |
    +10
    |Multiattack

16th-20th|
    +15
    |
    +15
    |
    +15
    |Improved Evasion[/table]
    ---

So what do you think? How balanced/imbalanced does it seem?
    Last edited by sciencepanda; 2009-08-20 at 10:18 PM.
    Campaign:
    The Secret of Trottleburg IC OOC

Characters:
    Misrahi Laroux of The Times They Are A-Changing
    #14 of Frenzied Entourage
    Lilen Zheng of Trouble in Tashwell
    Wilbur Rustbreath of Starting a Blue Dawn
    Lilen Avatar by Darwin. The rest by me.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Angel Grove Is Under Attack! [PEACH]

It looks to me like a gestalt of mindblade, monk and bard with some paladin/ranger abilities. None of the classes are that good though (except bard, but you don't give them their spell casting), so as a single class it might push them to a higher tier, but not tier 1 or 2.

Henshin has no duration given. I assume it is infinite? Why not just make it at will?

I don't think giving players something coloasal that quick is a good idea. I would make them a special type of construct that a sentai needs to help the crafter to make, and not as big at first.
    Last edited by deuxhero; 2009-08-20 at 08:07 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3

Oh, I did forget to put the duration for henshin. It was supposed to last 3 rounds per level.

Do you think I should swith the spell growth to that of a bard, then?

The whole mech thing was the part that I was really uncertain about, but the idea is that they would be unable to access it unless faced with an enemy that is already considerably stronger than them. I am rather unsure how to implement it, though.
    Campaign:

Characters:

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by deuxhero View Post
    Henshin has no duration given. I assume it is infinite? Why not just make it at will?

I don't think giving players something coloasal that quick is a good idea. I would make them a special type of construct that a sentai needs to help the crafter to make, and not as big at first.
    If Henshin doesn't have an infinite duration, I assume it is equal to the Sentai's class level? If so, it doesn't seem to last long enough.
    OP Ninja'd.

I also agree with the Mecha being too large too soon, even though it can only be used against Colossal or bigger enemies.
    Last edited by The Dark Fiddler; 2009-08-20 at 08:29 PM.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Maybe the mecha should get different feats than evasion and improved evasion. It doesn't seem to fit well with giant robots.

Also, have you considered changing it to a five level prestige class? The mecha part would be easier to impliment in a balanced way. Players below level ten are unlikely to encounter colossal enemies. Even if they do, the bonuses from mecha are not going to be enough to win the fight against most colossal enemies.

6. - Top - End - #6

I was considering making a prestige class, but I wanted it to be something I could play as right away.
    Maybe I'll phaze out the mecha and replace it with a motorcycle or a robotic horse, or something.

Any other ideas how I might go about fixing it up a bit?

Also, anyone know how a nonsentient mount (that still possesses some supernatural powers) would work?
    Last edited by sciencepanda; 2009-08-20 at 10:15 PM.
    Campaign:

Characters:

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sciencepanda View Post
    Do you think I should swith the spell growth to that of a bard, then?
    Not really. Bard casting is decent on it's own and should stay with the class. All the class features Sentai has now are lackluster on their own and might be useable as one class.

8. - Top - End - #8

Chimera

Unless I'm reading this wrong, it seems like the Sentai are going to have terrible AC.

So, it looks like the armor gives no AC bonus at all, unless that's taken as one of the enhancments, of which you get 4? So, at level 20 a Sentai will have DR 4/ AC 4?

Ick. Not sure how you want to do this (just copying monk won't work, I think- this class doesn't seem like it needs Wis like a monk does), but I think they should get some armor.

Some other suggestions:

Why no extra HP from a temporarily increased Con bonus? Even barbarians get that. As long as you remember that the HP go away when the Con goes back down, it's fine.

What happens if you die in Sentai form? Do you DIE die, or do you just revert to normal?

Some sort of long-range teleport effect.

Flavor text dealing with secret identities, and what the Sentai use to transform (Gems? Morphers? Cell phones?)

Animal/Alternate forms for the mechs!
    Quote Originally Posted by Randel View Post
    How about the fact that humans can apparently breed with anything on two legs (or even four legs if you count dragons)?

Human: Hey elf, you look like a girl.
    Elf: To a human, everything must look like a girl.
    Human: What?
    Elf: Half-orcs, half-ogres...
    Human: ... shut up.
    Dwarf: Half-dragons, half-kobolds.
    Human: I said shut up!
    Elf: ...
    Dwarf: ...
    Human: ...
    Elf: Centaurs.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

I agree with this. I agree so hard.

Might I suggest combination attacks? You know, finishers involving two or more Sentai?

Gods, I feel unhelpful. Fanguying so much right now. So much.

10. - Top - End - #10

I've thought of some sort of combo attack, or even a singular finishing move, but I honestly haven't a clue how to implement it. Any ideas?

If the mecha idea doesn't work out, I think I'll go the Kamen Rider route instead, and give them a medium sized animated motorcycle as a mount. I'll come up with stats when it isn't so late.

If anybody has an idea of how to fix the giant robot though, do say so, certainly.
    Campaign:

Characters:

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Maybe the size of the mecha increases over levels. At lvl 1 it's just a medium sized mecha, but by lvl 20 it's colossal. The mecha could be used for a certain period of time, like rage, except only once a day. That way you will not have to wait around for a huge monster just to use the ability, which will make it easier for the DM.

12. - Top - End - #12

Attempted revision of the Mecha

Mecha

At first level, the sentai gains the ability to call forth a mecha, a massive robotic manifestation of the source of his powers. The sentai often has aspects of the mecha inscribed on his weapons and armor, representing the connection the two have.

Creating A Mecha

Mecha is a template which can be applied to any nonhumanoid animal or magical beast, hereby referred to as the base creature.

Size and Type: The base creature's type changes to Construct. If the creature possesses a poor attack bonus for it's racial hit dice, increase to an average base attack bonus (as a cleric.) If it already possesses an average or good base attack bonus, do not recalculate. The base creatures size changes to Medium. If the base creature's size has been affected by this, change its ability score based on the spells enlarge or reduce creature, as many times as is required. (The spell has not actually been cast on them, this is purely a formula for determining scores.)

Hit Die: Change all hit die to d10's.

Speed: The creature retains its base speed (unless this has been changed by the increase or decrease in size, in which case that is taken into account.) If the base creature has wings, it can still use them to fly, but if it could fly magically, it does not retain that ability.

Armor Class: The base creature's natural armor increases by +2. It also gains damage reduction/1.

Attacks: The base creature retains any natural weapons. It looses any spellcasting or supernatural abilities, with the exception of breath weapons, which it keeps. (The DC save for it is now dex based.) The mecha also gains a 1d6 slam attack, if it did not have one already.

Abilities: The base creature's strength increases by +4 and its dexterity by +2. It's wisdom becomes 10 and it's charisma becomes 1. As a nonintelligent construct, a mecha has no intelligence and constitution scores.

In addition, a mecha's carrying capacity is 50%.

Sample Mecha

Deinonychus Mecha
    Size/Type: Medium Construct
    Hit Dice: 4d10+16 (38 hp)
    Initiative: +3
    Speed: 60 ft. (12 squares)
    Armor Class: 20 (+3 Dex, +7 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 15
    Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+11 +7
    Attack: Talons +7 melee (1d8+6), Slam: (1d8+7)
    Full Attack: Talons +7 melee (1d8+4) and 2 foreclaws +2 melee (1d3+2) and bite +1 +2 melee (2d4+2)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Pounce
    Special Qualities: Construct Traits
    Saves: Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +2
    Abilities: Str 23, Dex 17, Con --, Int --, Wis 10, Cha 1
    Skills: Jump+26,
    Feats: Run, Toughness, Improved Initiative
    Challenge Rating: 5
    Alignment: Same as sentai

---

A Sentai's Mecha

A sentai may call his mecha once per encounter. As a standard action, the sentai summons his mecha from the same pocket dimension that his weapons originates. He may dismiss the mecha at will. The mecha may stay summoned for a number of rounds equal to the sentai's charisma modifier + 3. Starting at level 1, the sentai may call his mecha once per day, and is granted an additional call for every additional 4 levels he has. The mecha cannot be summoned into a space smaller than it can fit into.

As an unintellegent construct, the mecha has no will of its own, but will follow any orders given by his sentai. The mecha is unable to heal itself when activated, but when dismissed and inactive, it will recover hit points at a rate of 1d10 for every half hour.

{table=head]Class Level|Bonus HD|Natural Armor|Str/Dex|Special

1st-2nd|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +1
    |Link

3rd-4th|
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |Power Attack

5th-6th|
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +3
    |Increase Size

7th-8th|
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +4
    |Damage Reduction 1/magic

9th-10th|
    +8
    |
    +8
    |
    +5
    |Breath Weapon

11th-12th|
    +10
    |
    +10
    |
    +6
    |Increase Size, Gattai

13th-14th|
    +12
    |
    +12
    |
    +7
    |Damage Reduction 2/magic, Multiattack

15th-16th|
    +14
    |
    +14
    |
    +8
    |Increase Size, Improved Gattai

17th-18th|
    +16
    |
    +16
    |
    +9
    |Adamantine

19th-20th|
    +18
    |
    +18
    |
    +10
    |Increase Size, Transformation (Ultimate Gattai)[/table]

Link: The sentai and the mecha establish a greater connection. The sentai may give it orders as a free action. In addition, the sentai may choose to see anything the mecha sees, due to a magical device build into the sentai's helmet.
    Increase Size: When the sentai reaches 5th level, the mecha increases in size from medium to large. It increases again to Huge at 11th level, again to Gargantuan at 15th, and once more to Colossal at 19th.
    Breath Weapon: When the sentai reaches 9th level, the mecha gains a 30 ft cone (mecha's HD x 1d6) with a DC of 25 for half. Upon gaining this ability, you may choose for the damage to be force, acid, fire, cold, electric or sonic based. If the mecha already has a breath weapon, they gain a new one of a different type.
    Gattai: Starting at the sentai's 11th level, the mecha may combine with four or more other sentai mecha. The resultant mecha is a humanoid construct one size category larger than the largest component mecha. It's strenght and dexterity scores are based on the two highest scores of the component mecha, +1 for each component. It's HD are equal to those of the highest level component mecha, + 1 for every additional component. It's natural armor, damage reduction and saves are equal to the highest level component. The combination possesses all of the attacks, feats and skills possessed by the components and wields a +(HD of highest level mecha) vorpal greatsword. Any action the combination does must be agreed upon by all of the sentai participating. The combination lasts until the first mecha's turn limit runs out, or until at least one of the component mecha is dismissed. Only one mecha is required to have this ability in order to perform a gattai.
    Improved Gattai: Once the sentai reaches 15th level, the mecha can now combine with a minimum of two other mecha instead of four. The combination also gains an additional +1 to str and dex.
    Adamantine: Once the sentai reaches 17th level, the mecha's natural armor receives the properties of adamantine metal. (2/- additional damage reduction and a hardness of 40)
    Transformation (Ultimate Gattai): At the sentai's 19th level, the mecha may perform gattai without any other component mecha (although it still may if the sentai wishes it to.) The combination gains a +5 bonus to str and dex.
    Last edited by sciencepanda; 2009-08-22 at 08:39 PM.
    Campaign:

Characters: