1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Disciple of Chaos [PrC]

Disciple of Chaos
    "Don't touch that! It is very important!"
    "Is that an ancient spell book, filled with vast arcane power?"
    "No you clod, it's my cook book!"

Becoming a Disciple of Chaos
    Disciples of Chaos are those who have mastered the art of unpredictability, to the point that their actions surprise even themselves. Masters of luck, chance, and the insight that only a madman could ever understand, they are capable of harnessing powers that no one else has even heard of.

Most frequently, Disciples of Chaos are humans or halflings. While elves are known to be chaotic, they lack the recklessness required for becoming a DoC. Dwarves are usually too rigid in their thinking to understand the value of chaos. Gnome DoCs aren't uncommon, but their numbers are low, if only because of the stunted gnomish populations.

Disciples of Chaos typically revere Discordia, a goddess few know of. Her teachings are found in the text the Principia Discordia, their holiest of books.

Requirements

• Chaoic Alignment
    • Any three skills at 13 ranks, no two of which are based on the same attribute
    • Any two luck feats
    • Must have defeated an opponent through luck alone

d6 hitdice
    {table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |Force of Chaos, Mad Genius

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Sneak Attack +1d6, Chaos Decay, "'Wait' he says. Do I look like a waiter?"

3rd|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    | "That was simply my shadow!"

4th|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |Sneak Attack +2d6, "You're way off!!!! Where are you aiming!?"

5th|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |Chaos Incarnate[/table]

Skill Points Per Level
    6+Int bonus
    Class Features
    Class Skills
    Bluff (Cha),Craft(Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Hide(dex) Listen(Wis), Move Silently(Dex), Profession(Wis), Search(Int0), Sense Motive(Wis), Sleight of Hand(Dex), Spot(Wis), Tumble(Dex), Use Magic Device(Cha)
    Weapon and Armor Profiency
    A Disciple of Chaos is proficient with all simple weapons and light armor.

Force of Chaos(Su): Having given in to chaos, the Disciple of Chaos is under a permanent Undetectable Alignment effect against anything targeting the Good/Evil axis. Any attempt to discern the DoC alignment will only return "Chaotic", even if the spell or other effect was not capable of receiving that answer (such as a Paladins Detect Evil).

In addition, a DoC receives a number of Chaos Points per day, equal to their class level plus charisma bonus. They may spend one chaos point to declare any roll of a natural one that would result in an automatic failure despite (such as an attack roll or save) the total check still being high enough to succeed as a success. In exchange, the DoC must count the next natural twenty the same; if it would fail despite being a natural twenty that would normally result in automatic success (such as an attack roll or save), it is a failure.

Mad Genius(Ex): True madness is true insight. At first level, the DoC applies his class level as a penalty to any wisdom check, wisdom based skill check, or knowledge check. However, by spending one Chaos Point, the DoC may instead apply his class level as a bonus to any wisdom check, wisdom based skill check, or knowledge check. Any knowledge skills must still be trained.

Chaos Decay(Su): True chaos favors no one. At second level, a DoC may spend two Chaos Points to make a battle a matter wholly of chance. All of their attack rolls, saves, skill checks, ability checks, caster level checks, or any other d20 based check is made completely unmodified. Furthermore, any SR, AC, or other quality that normally sets the DC for another creature to roll against is raised or reduced to 10. Any creature that attacks or interacts with the DoC is likewise affected, but only towards the DoC. This lasts for a number of rounds equal to the DoC's class levels.

"'Wait' he says. Do I look like a waiter?(Su): At second level, as an immediate action, a DoC may spend one Chaos Point to add his class level to his initiative. The DoC may spend additional points to receive a further bonus at a 1:1 rate. (For example, a second level DoC can spend one chaos point to receive a +2 bonus to initiative, or two chaos points to receive a +3 bonus to initiative. Spending 3 points would grant a +4 bonus and so on.)

Sneak Attack(Ex): As the rogue ability.

"That was simply my shadow!"(Sp): At third level a DoC may spend two Chaos Points to magically slip between spaces, as the spell dimension door. In addition, by spending an extra two chaos points, this may be done as an immediate action rather than a standard action. Their caster level is equal to twice their class level.

"You're way off!!!! Where are you aiming!?"(Su): At fourth level, a DoC may spend two chaos points as an immediate action to roll a savings throw twice and take the best result, or force an attacker to roll an attack roll twice and take the worst result. He may spend another two points to gain a bonus or penalty equal to class level on his or his foes second roll respectively.

Chaos Incarnate(Ex): Chaos is as chaos does. At 5th level, all Disciple of Chaos Supernatural or Spell-like abilities become Extraordinary. The Disciple of Chaos is a true avatar of unpredictable randomness. He is treated as no longer having any alignment in the Good/Evil axis, not even neutral. While this is not accompanied by a personality change, any effect that requires a specific good/evil alignment, such as a "Holy Word" spell, has no effect. In addition, the DoC may gain DR X/Lawful for one minute, where X is the number of chaos points spent, and gain SR 15+Charisma Bonus+X for one minute, where X is the number of chaos points spent.
    Last edited by Cybren; 2007-08-21 at 03:24 AM. Reason: ADDED "FLUFFERNUTTER": ALSO ADDED PENUT BUTTER

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Disciple of Chaos [PrC]

Not bad crunch, but it desperately needs some fluff to round it out. Who are these guys?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I added lots of peanut-butter and fluff.
    I also removed the sneak attack requirement because I thought it would be neat to let other classes than rogue or...ninja get it. Also: it's funnier.
    Last edited by Cybren; 2007-08-01 at 08:58 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

It doesn't get a full spellcasting progression???????

I give you an A minus minus.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deepblue706 View Post
    It doesn't get a full spellcasting progression???????

I give you an A minus minus.
    The worst grade imaginable!?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

force of chaos seems like the opposite of what you were going for, in a situation that unfolded completely on luck, you instead apply the actual roll. weren't you going for a chanced based class effect?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CasESenSITItiVE View Post
    force of chaos seems like the opposite of what you were going for, in a situation that unfolded completely on luck, you instead apply the actual roll. weren't you going for a chanced based class effect?
    That's how unpredictable they are.
    Last edited by Cybren; 2007-08-02 at 01:41 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Chaos Decay is... very powerful for taking on BBEGs and other tougher challenges.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    Chaos Decay is... very powerful for taking on BBEGs and other tougher challenges.
    yeah, but at the same time BBEGs will have plenty of tricks that won't be affected, or at least not as much, by it. They'll have either more attacks per round than you will, spells that don't require attack roles or saves, more HP, and plenty of minions.

Plus, they could simply ignore you. Unless maybe you were a knight and kept challenging him...

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

How do you define "defeating an opponent by luck alone" exactly?

Other than that looks quite good to me. Then again I'm not an experienced critic.
    Icy Fan of Gelugons and proud member of Baatezu Lovers Club

Thanks to Bradakhan for the custom avatar.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Raging Gene Ray View Post
    You seem to like summoning monsters and watching them beat the everloving crap out of one another.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Firstly: I would never play that. Secondly: Dangit, I wish I would. It looks very fun. And get your gruby paws off my cookbook, you oaf.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Pure awesome! Just enough good crunch to make people actually want to play it without it being a powergamer PrC. The only regret is that it's very bad for a caster. Maybe you could have the levels of sneak attack give your choice of +1d6 sneak attack OR +1 caster level, player's choice. With that change, I'd love to play a sorceror that goes into this in an average-power campaign. Also, I'd love to use this thing's abilities to screw with the Min/Maxers and powergamers I know.
    "Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."
    -Dinobot, quoting Hamlet.

Current Characters:

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by blue_fenix View Post
    Pure awesome! Just enough good crunch to make people actually want to play it without it being a powergamer PrC. The only regret is that it's very bad for a caster. Maybe you could have the levels of sneak attack give your choice of +1d6 sneak attack OR +1 caster level, player's choice. With that change, I'd love to play a sorceror that goes into this in an average-power campaign. Also, I'd love to use this thing's abilities to screw with the Min/Maxers and powergamers I know.
    The class actually spawned from a rewrite of the Wild Mage PrC, so expect in addition to a new version of the Wild Mage, a special kind of version of this geared towards casters.

How do you define "defeating an opponent by luck alone" exactly?
    While it is exceptionally vague, basically, one shotting someone with a critical hit would count. Especially if you would have had no chance in beating them at all.

Or convincing the ogre that the people who ambushed his people went the other way, and when you succeed he runs off and falls into a ravine you didn't even know was there.

Use of your luck feats would count too, at least it would if I were DMing.
    Last edited by Cybren; 2007-08-02 at 08:50 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Needs more cowbell.

And more chaos. This class isn't capable of enough chaotic behavior. DoCs should have something utterly ridiculous and amazing - like, making Bluff checks as attack rolls.

You should also consider adding special functions to be used with insanity rules.
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2007-08-03 at 01:38 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Needs more cowbell.

And more chaos. This class isn't capable of enough chaotic behavior. DoCs should have something utterly ridiculous and amazing - like, making Bluff checks as attack rolls.

You should also consider adding special functions to be used with insanity rules.
    They already have all of that!

16. - Top - End - #16

You should have it, when attack, it rolls percnetile, then consults a chart. Stuff like target is dazed, flatfooted, takes 2d6 precision damage, sickened, gets an AoO, you do damage equal to the line integral of an elf maiden's smaller breast, etc.

Seriously though, I like it. It would be a very, very good opponent to throw at the PCs, especially if they were power gamers.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Does anyone else think they should have a d20 HD, but perhaps for only even-numbered levels?
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2007-08-03 at 04:24 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Halfling in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Disciple of Chaos [PrC]

Does anyone else think they should have a d20 HD, but perhaps for only even-numbered levels?
    Brilliant. And a d2 for odd-Numbered levels.
    Awesome class, by the way. I love it!
    "Post, Post, Post, More Comments!"
    High priest of the Belkar/Banzhulu church
    Proud member of team evil.
    Kudos to Simius For the awesome avatar.