New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Paladin accidentally connected to evil god and doesn't know it!

Quote Originally Posted by Yogibear41 View Post
    Just because its true in your game doesn't mean it true in every game. Paladins specifically get their powers from a deity in our game for example, although with how we work divine spells they could also gain power from outsiders, since they only gain up to 4th level spells.
    Well he means that's the default. Deity powered is a pretty reasonable house rule and one we could ask the OP about, but it's not the rules. I checked when I made my paladin of Cthulhu.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazeeb View Post
    As a matter of fact he is now level 2! I give all players one Ex Machina in my world for death (before level 3). While the Paladin hasn't had to use his yet, he made it very clear that a direction of divine class is his goal.

As for prophecy? Those are easy to manufacture and make vague enough to work with. If its necessary I'll craft one for him to discover later.
    "If it's necessary"? Why exactly did the god waste his time to save an unimportant level 1 character? He better know for sure that the character will be level 15 some day and involved in a plot that will change the world.

In general this whole thing is heavy handed. With little reason for it and little player control. It's a bit railroaded. And unless your player likes being railroaded he will complain later when he gets screwed over and there's little he can do about it. If he likes it fine. If he doesn't like it he might be better off dying and making a new character.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2018-01-02 at 03:29 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by DMVerdandi View Post
    Not to be a killjoy, but Paladins don't gain their powers from deities, or even the idea that they are acting as an intermediary of said deities, but simply from being lawful good. They are powered by the alignment itself, unbodied and pure.
    They can worship deities, but it offers them no more benefit than a fighter worshiping Kord, or Ares. It's a choice and an unnecessary[mechanical] one.

If he was requesting this, it would be fine, but it seems like both he and you are slightly off bullseye.

If it works for you AND the player, my point is moot, because there are divine intervention rules in deities and demigods, but if he thinks that his powers come from worship of a deity, he's technically wrong. It's from being righteous and having a code. That code might be the tenents of a lawful good religion, but they come from the internal emotional connection to those ideals, rather than an outsider.

If you told him that it was a dark god from the jump and he made the choice, well, then you have the option to explore possibly his paladin levels being forfeit, and him taking his next level in cleric of said deity, but just going for the switcheroo is kind of ...bleh

If this were 4e, then I'd be wrong though. They definitely align themselves with deities/religions for their powers. You get more paladin of X there.
    We are exploring how this comes across in the story. My intention isn't to pull the carpet out from under their feet, its to provide an engaging story for the player. Considering that paladins and clerics are so intermingled into their faiths (gods or no) I want to make sure that engaging with this story allows him to stay interested. I want him to THINK about what this presence is and how its affecting him.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    I think you can do corruption better than "fireballing a few orcs" - especially with the direction you are going in with Eos.

Eos is a deity of pride and warfare among other things, right? So perhaps encourage the paladin to be an "example to others" by showing off the glory of goodness (and granting some minor boons to the paladin for proper public display of awesomeness). Pride isn't evil, but it DOES go before fall :) Like it was previously suggested, have Eos guide the paladin towards her enemies amongst the gods of evil. Preferably infiltrators/cultists that hide in normal society. Then, once the paladin uncovers the worshipers of darkness, you have some interesting options. For example:

Have Eos encourage the paladin to lead a "peoples crusade" against evil, claiming that people must learn to stand on their own and can't be forever dependent on a handful of defenders. This makes some kind of sense, but in reality it will cause the loss of lots of civilians that had no business being on a crusade, not to mention making the survivors more brutal and likely to engage in further warfare.

Are there surviving enemies from the crusade? They must be made an example of! Swift and relatively painless execution is too good for them, make a show of it, where they are tried in a mock trial and executed in public after being dragged around for everyone to see. In short, try to get the paladin to act as a self righteous bully that encourages people getting themselves killed - all in the name of good. Much more interesting than frying a few elderly orcs (that had it coming anyway!).
    NICE! Very constructive. Once he gets to a higher level this is something I'd love to put into play. Or at least the calling of the god to produce such acts.

Quote Originally Posted by Nibbens View Post
    Interestingly enough, paladins (at least in PF) don't get their powers from a specific deity. They get it from "the power of goodness" or some rubbish. It is perfectly legitimate for a paladin to offer token worship to an evil god, as long as he never commits an unlawful or evil act, he'd be fine. Of course, the god should be calling for his follower to commit evil (or whatever the alignment of the god might be) acts, but the Paladins choice to follow the gods call, is his own.

A good way to think about this is for the paladin to look upon his god as like a racist uncle - he loves him because he's family, but would never follow his tenants. So the paladin listens to the gods rants, and tolerates his attitude, but knows the god is wrong, and does good anyway.

So, i think it should be completely obvious the first time your evil deity tells your pally to do something evil, he should know that something's wrong. If not, then continue the god's quest to corrupt him. When he realizes that the god is actually evil - Do not cause a fall. Allow the pally to retain his powers and seek an atonement if he's committed several questionable acts. (Lets face it, pallys operate in black and white and the world is not a black and white place. Catch 22s and impossible to win situations exist. I think pallys should seek atonement every so often regardless of how good they've been - no one is perfect and making good choices often get people killed anyway).

If the player choses to fully turn to the evil god, it should be a knowing act. The player and the paladin should be aware of it long before it happens. It should not be a surprise, but a calculated decision. At some point, (not anytime soon) when your player starts to suspect something, the Dm should tell the player what's going on, and offer the player a choice - Chose to go the route of the god, or turn away and seek atonement. Both should enhance the story and have very little affect on the way mechanics go, until/unless the paladin/player ultimately decides to take the fall.
    If the player decides to turn, then make the atonement meaningful and fun for all the players involved. Maybe a quest or side mission. I dunno, use your DM skills to make it an enjoyable part of the story.

The fall should never be a punishment. The fall and/or atonement should be a story that engages everyone.
    Excellent points! Also constructive (exactly what I need) but the journey of learning what this god is, what it represents and how that affects the characters personal morals is important context. I want him to question what it means to follow a god and have faith. I've already revealed the "shape" of the avatar in a dream but beyond that all he knows about it is the name Eos. Discovery and growth are going to be key here.

Quote Originally Posted by Yogibear41 View Post
    Just because its true in your game doesn't mean it true in every game. Paladins specifically get their powers from a deity in our game for example, although with how we work divine spells they could also gain power from outsiders, since they only gain up to 4th level spells.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericgrau View Post
    Well he means that's the default. Deity powered is a pretty reasonable house rule and one we could ask the OP about, but it's not the rules. I checked when I made my paladin of Cthulhu.

"If it's necessary"? Why exactly did the god waste his time to save an unimportant level 1 character? He better know for sure that the character will be level 15 some day and involved in a plot that will change the world.

In general this whole thing is heavy handed. With little reason for it and little player control. It's a bit railroaded. And unless your player likes being railroaded he will complain later when he gets screwed over and there's little he can do about it. If he likes it fine. If he doesn't like it he might be better off dying and making a new character.
    First point: That is the most metal paladin I've ever heard of. Ia!

Second: This is a lost deity days from a ten thousand year dark age. She aided and protected those faithful when darkness smothered the world. Now she's forgotton and wishes to come back. Upon hearing a random cry into the aether from a particularly bright soul, she looks into the paladin and sees something she can use to grow her worship once again. He is going to become her tool -if- he chooses to continue following her. Hell for all I know he may get the heebie jeebies and just look for another to pledge himself to (thus why I'm focusing my lorebuilding on gods and religions now).

Third point: I ask for feedback after every session from every player and don't let them pack up until i get a like and dislike. I don't railroad but unless there is something that the party actually needs to do in order to get a story moving in the big picture sense. I don't like that kind of control. The focus here is for him to feel out how he feels about this entity and that requires actual role playing. If I can't provide that avenue as a story teller, if I can't challenge my players to expand on ideas, formulate their principles, make mistakes, be afraid, be human, mortal and frail, then why bother playing at all?

Fourth: This is the scenario that's on the table. Your opinion is noted. Constructive criticism to help me handle this in a way that benefits the player, otherwise stop posting cause your opinion isn't actually helpful beyond being an opinion. I have plenty of those myself but I'm keeping them off the table.
    Last edited by Hazeeb; 2018-01-03 at 08:40 AM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

Goblin

Excellent points! Also constructive (exactly what I need) but the journey of learning what this god is, what it represents and how that affects the characters personal morals is important context. I want him to question what it means to follow a god and have faith. I've already revealed the "shape" of the avatar in a dream but beyond that all he knows about it is the name Eos. Discovery and growth are going to be key here.
    You're welcome!

And in that case, the slow reveal should be fun, and I hope you do a follow up post with the results eventually! You seem to have a good breadth of info you're tossing around, so I think you should follow your instincts here. You know your group better than we do. :D

Additional thoughts: A high enough knowledge: history/religion check could reveal info to your Pally about Eos and his tenants. Considering this is hidden info, a side quest to an ancient library to assist the check (because doing so without the library would be impossible, yada yada) for him to gain much needed info on his deity could be a fun spin. As could a search for/quest to find a church of the old god. Both of these could be interesting capstones to make a clean reveal of what Eos actually is. (But only after much slow growth and discovery, like you mention).

Also, depending on how jealous you make the god, if Eos is starved for worshipers, after he's put so much time in crafting this paladin to just the way he wants - I don't imagine the deity being to happy about your pally walking away, and might even take it personally. I see plot hooks all over this situation.

Just my two cents. lol. Good Luck!
    Last edited by Nibbens; 2018-01-03 at 04:49 PM.
    Roll some dice, make some stuff up!
    Current campaign: City of Progress Campaign Journal
    This guide!

A reading of notable information in The City of Progress, here.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

I have not read every post so sorry if I am repeating but:
    My suggestion: the evil god has wormed its way into the paladin's abilities, not his head.

Keep the paladin as is, but have the paladin cast detect good sometimes instead of detect evil. That's all you need to do to make this paladin fall. How?

He casts detect evil to try and find the culprit of a horrendous plot but gets detect good. The evil vizier doesn't ping, but the lawful good captain of the guard does. Paladin becomes convinced the captain is the culprit and works to bring him down.

Present his party with the bandit dilemma, they call on the paladin to detect evil... bam detect good swap.

That is all you need.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

You're welcome!

And in that case, the slow reveal should be fun, and I hope you do a follow up post with the results eventually! You seem to have a good breadth of info you're tossing around, so I think you should follow your instincts here. You know your group better than we do. :D

Additional thoughts: A high enough knowledge: history/religion check could reveal info to your Pally about Eos and his tenants. Considering this is hidden info, a side quest to an ancient library to assist the check (because doing so without the library would be impossible, yada yada) for him to gain much needed info on his deity could be a fun spin. As could a search for/quest to find a church of the old god. Both of these could be interesting capstones to make a clean reveal of what Eos actually is. (But only after much slow growth and discovery, like you mention).

Also, depending on how jealous you make the god, if Eos is starved for worshipers, after he's put so much time in crafting this paladin to just the way he wants - I don't imagine the deity being to happy about your pally walking away, and might even take it personally. I see plot hooks all over this situation.

Just my two cents. lol. Good Luck!
    Oooooh that is GOOD. I love forbidden knowledge quests. I really should start a game journal of my campaigns events. Is there a dedicated place for that on the forum?

Quote Originally Posted by Calthropstu View Post
    I have not read every post so sorry if I am repeating but:
    My suggestion: the evil god has wormed its way into the paladin's abilities, not his head.

Keep the paladin as is, but have the paladin cast detect good sometimes instead of detect evil. That's all you need to do to make this paladin fall. How?

He casts detect evil to try and find the culprit of a horrendous plot but gets detect good. The evil vizier doesn't ping, but the lawful good captain of the guard does. Paladin becomes convinced the captain is the culprit and works to bring him down.

Present his party with the bandit dilemma, they call on the paladin to detect evil... bam detect good swap.

That is all you need.
    Not a bad idea actually. I think as we move further into his story that may just have a place among the monster and social encounters.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Pryia homebrew world. Come look, ask questions and find your path to glory!

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Just throwing this on the pile of ideas, but when you start to introduce a little stronger magic items to the players, perhaps grant the paladin a holy longsword (with or without the +1 enhancement) that 10% of the time (per encounter basically, you make a d% roll while rolling initatives) it acts as an unholy sword instead, growing particularly bright when wielded against good people. This will keep it pretty subtle as well as not really working if the player decides to test it out.

Also, it only behaves this way while he wields it, anyone else wielding it or identification just reveals the holy longsword to be a holy longsword. It is his connection to the deity that triggers the change after all, and it's not even consistent enough that they can reliably test for it.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Mordaedil View Post
    Just throwing this on the pile of ideas, but when you start to introduce a little stronger magic items to the players, perhaps grant the paladin a holy longsword (with or without the +1 enhancement) that 10% of the time (per encounter basically, you make a d% roll while rolling initatives) it acts as an unholy sword instead, growing particularly bright when wielded against good people. This will keep it pretty subtle as well as not really working if the player decides to test it out.

Also, it only behaves this way while he wields it, anyone else wielding it or identification just reveals the holy longsword to be a holy longsword. It is his connection to the deity that triggers the change after all, and it's not even consistent enough that they can reliably test for it.
    Using an item to reflect the nature of his deity is clever. Its fickle and subtle. Nice idea!
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

8. - Top - End - #38

Goblin

Oooooh that is GOOD. I love forbidden knowledge quests. I really should start a game journal of my campaigns events. Is there a dedicated place for that on the forum?
    I, and several others, use this particular forum. lol. But I do believe there are others. Brb.

*Edit* I'm back. Many use the Central Hub as well. Here.

And, I'd like to throw some love to Kol. He has a project he's doing with campaign journals. I don't know if he's still active or not, but it's worth a shot. Here.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by Nibbens; 2018-01-04 at 12:20 PM.
    This guide!

9. - Top - End - #39
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

d6 Re: Paladin accidentally connected to evil god and doesn't know it!

Would love to read a game journal. There have been a few posted by this group. In different subgroups. If the game fits in this case 3.5 you can post here
    9 wisdom true neutral cleric you know you want me in your adventuring party

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

While often this concept is ill advised, it is supported by the game material.

From Heroes of Horror:
    "A paladin has grown vicious and draconic in his interpretation of the law and is oppressing his people; he either does not realize or does not care that he is mere steps away from falling from his god’s favor. (Perhaps an evil god or a demon lord is maintaining his powers without his awareness.)"

Now, this case is a little different but it could be interesting seeing the arc it follows. My recommendation isn't anything new but:

Detect evil sometimes detects wrong, missing some evil people (perhaps starting with followers of the evil god or those who act in their domain) and incorrectly registering others as evil (especially those opposed to the god's domain, serve an opposed deity or demigod, ect.). Those it does detect as such are effected by smite evil. Sometimes when they do smite evil against an evil foe, it doesn't seem to work.

As their alignment shifts, their aura does too, if it hasn't already. First the powerful Aura of Good goes away.. then in time they detect as Evil, even if they are not evil.

Divine health starts to fail them at times, god pending. While they do not feel the presence of the diseases, they become carriers. Attempts made by them to remove ailments begin to merely trade one ailment for another.

As they call their mount, they may or may not notice others acting weary. Even other party members might see something off about their steed that the paladin does not. Something thematic to their new patron like subtle fiendish traits, signs of decay, or maybe something at first mundane seeming like their horse appears to have developed mange.

Ultimately, there are variants on paladin and one should look into the one closest fitting their new god's alignment. Paladin of Tyranny, Paladin of Slaughter, Despot (Dragon Magazine 312), Corruptor (312), and Antipaladin (312). There are even some prestige classes to get some ideas from: The blackguard, and the Corrupt Avenger (Heroes of Horror), and the Tainted (Dragon Magazine 302). The latter two are non-evil but may offer some ideas. For example, Tainted Paladins get some options for Lay on Hands and Remove Disease, in addition to the fiendish abilities and attributes they acquire as they advance.

That isn't to say you force them to use a PRC, or class change, but these may help give ideas for mechanical changes they may undergo.. Especially once things come to light.
    Last edited by Xuldarinar; 2018-01-04 at 03:22 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

Another dissenting voice here. The player made a character to be a shining beacon of good in an apparently grimdark and crapsack world, with all the potential challenges that entails. In response, you have decided to swap the source of his power (with his current god allowing it) and start screwing with him before he can even get a handle on who the character is. Worse, you aren't even trying to challenge black and white morality in a gray world, you are just ham-fistedly redefining the basis of his character (and not in an interesting way). And you justify this because he rolled a natural 1 on an arbitrary die roll that you pulled out of your arse (there is no d20 roll for divine intervention).

I have been in games like this. They are frustrating. Anything the player was looking for when he came to play (and choosing to play a paladin in a Cthulhu world is a pretty specific niche) is tossed out the window when he can't get past level 1 without the DM saying, "Surprise, you're powered by EVIL!!!!". It is this kind of senseless DM dickery that makes players stop caring about what's happening in the game world (if you can be screwed with at any moment and everything is a lie then who cares?) and become straight-up murderhobos as a rational life choice.

I really hope that you have intimate knowledge of your players and are the best DM to have ever graced the hobby. If you are anything less on either front then congratulations, you have probably just sabotaged your own game.
    Avatar of awesome goodness courtesy of Cdr.Fallout.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

I, and several others, use this particular forum. lol. But I do believe there are others. Brb.

*Edit* I'm back. Many use the Central Hub as well. Here.

And, I'd like to throw some love to Kol. He has a project he's doing with campaign journals. I don't know if he's still active or not, but it's worth a shot. Here.

Hope this helps
    I'll take a look! I think the stories I create with my players shoulder be shared. Otherwise how can I get better as a story teller and make their experiences better?

Quote Originally Posted by denthor View Post
    Would love to read a game journal. There have been a few posted by this group. In different subgroups. If the game fits in this case 3.5 you can post here
    You got it! I'll get something going within the next two days.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    While often this concept is ill advised, it is supported by the game material.

From Heroes of Horror:

Now, this case is a little different but it could be interesting seeing the arc it follows. My recommendation isn't anything new but:

Detect evil sometimes detects wrong, missing some evil people (perhaps starting with followers of the evil god or those who act in their domain) and incorrectly registering others as evil (especially those opposed to the god's domain, serve an opposed deity or demigod, ect.). Those it does detect as such are effected by smite evil. Sometimes when they do smite evil against an evil foe, it doesn't seem to work.

As their alignment shifts, their aura does too, if it hasn't already. First the powerful Aura of Good goes away.. then in time they detect as Evil, even if they are not evil.

Divine health starts to fail them at times, god pending. While they do not feel the presence of the diseases, they become carriers. Attempts made by them to remove ailments begin to merely trade one ailment for another.

As they call their mount, they may or may not notice others acting weary. Even other party members might see something off about their steed that the paladin does not. Something thematic to their new patron like subtle fiendish traits, signs of decay, or maybe something at first mundane seeming like their horse appears to have developed mange.

Ultimately, there are variants on paladin and one should look into the one closest fitting their new god's alignment. Paladin of Tyranny, Paladin of Slaughter, Despot (Dragon Magazine 312), Corruptor (312), and Antipaladin (312). There are even some prestige classes to get some ideas from: The blackguard, and the Corrupt Avenger (Heroes of Horror), and the Tainted (Dragon Magazine 302). The latter two are non-evil but may offer some ideas. For example, Tainted Paladins get some options for Lay on Hands and Remove Disease, in addition to the fiendish abilities and attributes they acquire as they advance.

That isn't to say you force them to use a PRC, or class change, but these may help give ideas for mechanical changes they may undergo.. Especially once things come to light.
    Yessssssss. To be honest its been years since I did a a proper delve into all the paladin options for 3.5 and pathfinder. These are PERFECT for giving me mechanics and material to chew on as the paladin evolves and finds what his purpose is in life. Excellent reply! I have some issues to go back and read.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarian Rex View Post
    Another dissenting voice here. The player made a character to be a shining beacon of good in an apparently grimdark and crapsack world, with all the potential challenges that entails. In response, you have decided to swap the source of his power (with his current god allowing it) and start screwing with him before he can even get a handle on who the character is. Worse, you aren't even trying to challenge black and white morality in a gray world, you are just ham-fistedly redefining the basis of his character (and not in an interesting way). And you justify this because he rolled a natural 1 on an arbitrary die roll that you pulled out of your arse (there is no d20 roll for divine intervention).

I have been in games like this. They are frustrating. Anything the player was looking for when he came to play (and choosing to play a paladin in a Cthulhu world is a pretty specific niche) is tossed out the window when he can't get past level 1 without the DM saying, "Surprise, you're powered by EVIL!!!!". It is this kind of senseless DM dickery that makes players stop caring about what's happening in the game world (if you can be screwed with at any moment and everything is a lie then who cares?) and become straight-up murderhobos as a rational life choice.

I really hope that you have intimate knowledge of your players and are the best DM to have ever graced the hobby. If you are anything less on either front then congratulations, you have probably just sabotaged your own game.
    Another dissenting voice with no positive criticism about how to handle the situation. Your opinion is noted.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

What exactly did this player DO to deserve having the entire campaign warped around hosing his character? Took the last slice of pizza?

Hazeeb: How much 'constructive' advice can anyone be expected to add to 'you're screwing this guy over unfairly and seemingly vindictively'?

Ah, well. Nobody plays a Paladin anymore unless they WANT to suffer.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    What exactly did this player DO to deserve having the entire campaign warped around hosing his character? Took the last slice of pizza?

Hazeeb: How much 'constructive' advice can anyone be expected to add to 'you're screwing this guy over unfairly and seemingly vindictively'?

Ah, well. Nobody plays a Paladin anymore unless they WANT to suffer.
    Constructive: Offer alternatives? Suggest ways to back out of it? Give ideas for a mini-arc in which the paladin discovers what is going on and rejects the evil god and (re)gains the favor of their old god or a new benevolent god? Maybe even the paladin could resist the pull of evil and pull the other way, moving to redeem their new god and turn them to good?

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Constructive: Offer alternatives? Suggest ways to back out of it? Give ideas for a mini-arc in which the paladin discovers what is going on and rejects the evil god and (re)gains the favor of their old god or a new benevolent god? Maybe even the paladin could resist the pull of evil and pull the other way, moving to redeem their new god and turn them to good?
    Precisely. I want this to be more than a DM gotcha moment as everyone appears to be assuming. He doesn't HAVE to follow this deity, its just that she answered and he doesn't know enough about her to refuse yet. Knowledge like that is earned, not given.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Quarian Rex View Post

Actually, I disagree. Roleplayed well this could be a really eye opening experience for the character and possibly a great plot hook.

Consider this:
    The detect evil is swapped with detect good a small number of times as per my original suggestion.
    It goes poorly but the paladin, through intervention from his diety (ala the conflicting dreams he has) figures out what's going on.
    Thwarted, the evil diety decides more direct methods of persuasion, sending a glabrezu or succubus to tempt. Knowing the paladins darkest secrets due to the direct contact, he knows what buttons to push. An evil cleric becomes involved who the party will have no choice but to deal with in a way that killing would be outright murder.

The op could truly get creative here with logical attempts to make this paladin fall. Each attempt could be more elaborate, and each failure increases the paladin's compatibility with his own deity.
    Eventually, frustrated, the evil god either relents or tries to end the paladin.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

Precisely. I want this to be more than a DM gotcha moment as everyone appears to be assuming. He doesn't HAVE to follow this deity, its just that she answered and he doesn't know enough about her to refuse yet. Knowledge like that is earned, not given.
    And how exactly do you plan to ALLOW them to 'earn' that knowledge? As I mentioned earlier, the GM is the players' eyes and ears (and Detect Evil) in the world, so if you lie to them, they literally have NO OTHER WAY of figuring things out.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

18. - Top - End - #48

Goblin

And how exactly do you plan to ALLOW them to 'earn' that knowledge? As I mentioned earlier, the GM is the players' eyes and ears (and Detect Evil) in the world, so if you lie to them, they literally have NO OTHER WAY of figuring things out.
    I disagree. DMs lie all the time and PCs still come to discover and thrive in environments of partially correct information. If the DM knows his audience, and knows how to be fair and balanced with to his players expectations, then this can be a rewarding experience.

Besides. DMs are made to lie via the rules. Theres several skills devoted to it - bluff, intimidate, disguise. And an entire magic school based around it - illusion. Saying that a DM shouldn't lie because pcs have no other way to figure things out is a bit of a stretch.
    Last edited by Nibbens; 2018-01-05 at 12:58 PM.
    This guide!

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Player and character intuition. As things turn, eventually they are bound to notice something isn't right.

The paladin visits a village and cures a disease running through it, but later hears that everyone from it has a different ailment. (I cured them of the black plague. Later, when we started to head back by that village, we started hearing reports of strange creatures. People without faces attacking anything and everything that comes by. They came from that village... They fell to the faceless hate.)

They detect evil in someone and it doesn't seem right, or a cultist they know for a fact is devoted to X evil deity isn't registering as evil.

The commit an act that in retrospect they think was evil yet they still have power, or they feel disapproval in an action they know is right.

Clerics devoted to their former god start giving them odd looks, make note that there is something wrong, maybe even confront him (with or without hostility). Conversely, clerics of their adoptive god start to show up and view him with favor.

They call their steed and it appears similar to a nightmare.

Blessings take root as unholy, attempts to heal hurt and attempts to magically harm the undead seem to only mend them.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

I disagree. DMs lie all the time and PCs still come to discover and thrive in environments of partially correct information. If the DM knows his audience, and knows how to be fair and balanced with to his players expectations, then this can be a rewarding experience.

Besides. DMs are made to lie via the rules. Theres several skills devoted to it - bluff, intimidate, disguise. And an entire magic school based around it - illusion. Saying that a DM shouldn't lie because pcs have no other way to figure things out is a bit of a stretch.
    Excellent point there. I have made no effort to lie to this player at any time. He's even used detect evil on the presence in his dreams because he felt something wasn't right. In that case I allowed him to register an evil aura but not the deity itself.

Player and character intuition. As things turn, eventually they are bound to notice something isn't right.

The paladin visits a village and cures a disease running through it, but later hears that everyone from it has a different ailment. (I cured them of the black plague. Later, when we started to head back by that village, we started hearing reports of strange creatures. People without faces attacking anything and everything that comes by. They came from that village... They fell to the faceless hate.)

They detect evil in someone and it doesn't seem right, or a cultist they know for a fact is devoted to X evil deity isn't registering as evil.

The commit an act that in retrospect they think was evil yet they still have power, or they feel disapproval in an action they know is right.

Clerics devoted to their former god start giving them odd looks, make note that there is something wrong, maybe even confront him (with or without hostility). Conversely, clerics of their adoptive god start to show up and view him with favor.

They call their steed and it appears similar to a nightmare.

Blessings take root as unholy, attempts to heal hurt and attempts to magically harm the undead seem to only mend them.
    THIS is the kind of stuff I want to see. Thank you. These are actionable ideas I can put into place that will challenge the paladin to think about his actions and what significance they have on the world around him.