New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default V for vegetarian?

Is Vaarsuvius a vegetarian?
    Are elves usually vegetarian in D&D?

I don't think it's been stated outright, but he's never been shown eating meat.

Evidence:

1) Not shown eating bar-b-q monster

2) has grapefruit for breakfast, while his friends eat bacon. Twice.

3) Has white truffle soufle for dinner

4) provided with hummus, while the others were offered pegasus and phoenix

5) Says in SS&DT that he has a tofu-based diet. That may be out of continuity, though.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: V for vegetarian?

Huh...

Also, his mate cooks banana muffins, which are totally vegetarian.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Daemon

I wouldn't like that to be true.

I don't like the idea that Elves have to be vegetarian because they're a wiser and superior race. Or more often than not, because the author is vegetarian and his ideal race must be to (Paolini).

I don't like the idea of any race being a "superior race" as per author backing.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Hmm, you could be on to something...

...on V's diet, at least. On the subject of gender, I feel you're barking up the wrong tree entirely.

And no one's saying V would be vegetarian because "elves are superior", not even in the comic. No need to overthink it; perhaps she just happens to be vegetarian.
    Last edited by Angel Bob; 2013-06-03 at 08:13 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

The various fantasy settings I've seen have usually had something like that. I've never seen strict vegetarian diets (forgive my failure to use more specific and proper terminology), but a strong preference for non-meat products is present. Sort of a "I really, really would rather not have meat but if I must then I will" mentality.
    Last edited by Turgon9357; 2013-06-03 at 08:18 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post

I don't like the idea that Elves have to be vegetarian because they're a wiser and superior race. Or more often than not, because the author is vegetarian and his ideal race must be to (Paolini).

I don't like the idea of any race being a "superior race" as per author backing.
    Who said anything about all elves being vegetarian Next thing ya know, you will be saying that no humans should be vegetarian, because it would mean all humans were.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

It wouldn't surprise me if OotS elves, or at least V in particular, considers eating meat to be a bit uncouth, a bit Yahoo. In personality, our vulcan-in-fantasy-drag is more Houyhnhnm than Yahoo, anyway.

Stereotypically, meat eating is often considered masculine and vegetarianism more effeminate, which may also play into it -- elves being one of the races which is more ladylike, whereas dwarves and such are more manly.

As Angel Bob said, though, this wouldn't make elves universally superior. There have been plenty of times when they've done things that we're supposed to question.
    Last edited by Bird; 2013-06-03 at 08:33 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    Who said anything about all elves being vegetarian Next thing ya know, you will be saying that no humans should be vegetarian, because it would mean all humans were.
    If V is a vegetarian, it's at least conceivable this is due to a cultural consideration and not merely a personal preference. There are whole human cultures which are vegetarian, after all.

It's even conceivable (although we have no evidence for this) that a biological consideration would make elves eschew meat. ...although that would fit awkwardly with the "woodland hunter" stereotype, which we haven't seen much of in OotS.

9. - Top - End - #9

It's even conceivable (although we have no evidence for this) that a biological consideration would make elves eschew meat.
    That would make them herbivorous

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    That would make them herbivorous
    It might, or it might also make them omnivores who get cases of indigestion.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Yes, V is a vegetarian.

This is not, however, any sort of blunt statement about elven superiority, simply because I do not actually subscribe to the idea that elves are superior in the first place. You may not have noticed, but the elves as a people haven't exactly made much of an impact on this story, and they certainly don't display any greater wisdom.

And considering that the strip has gone almost 900 pages before anyone even noticed means that I'm not going to take anyone's complaints about it seriously. I have a right to include some characters who share the same philosophies as myself in my own story without it being some sort of controversy. Two characters (neither of whom really discuss it) in a cast of dozens is no great burden on the reading public.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post

Which is kind of funny since Giant is a vegetarian. But I thought the idea came from Elves generally being close to nature and respecting living things instead of thinking they are superior.

13. - Top - End - #13

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Yes, V is a vegetarian.

This is not, however, any sort of blunt statement about elven superiority, simply because I do not actually subscribe to the idea that elves are superior in the first place. You may not have noticed, but the elves as a people haven't exactly made much of an impact on this story, and they certainly don't display any greater wisdom.

And considering that the strip has gone almost 900 pages before anyone even noticed means that I'm not going to take anyone's complaints about it seriously. I have a right to include some characters who share the same philosophies as myself in my own story without it being some sort of controversy. Two characters (neither of whom really discuss it) in a cast of dozens is no great burden on the reading public.
    Huh, that's a cool detail. Are there any other little character pieces like that which have been shown in-comic but not pointed out because they haven't, nor will they ever be plot-relevant?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    Huh, that's a cool detail. Are there any other little character pieces like that which have been shown in-comic but not pointed out because they haven't, nor will they ever be plot-relevant?
    Yes. ...........
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Two characters?

16. - Top - End - #16

Could refer to Inky, who baked the banana nut muffins as 137ben mentioned, or...

Wait, did Celia make a reference to being a vegetarian at some point?

Edit: yes. It's Celia.
    Last edited by Bird; 2013-06-03 at 09:24 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

ClericGirl

Yes. ...........
    Would you be willing to reveal a couple of those in this thread? Or alternatively, the second vegetarian?

EDIT: Ah, Celia, Nevermind that part.
    Last edited by oppyu; 2013-06-03 at 09:25 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    Evidence:

1) Not shown eating bar-b-q monster

2) has grapefruit for breakfast, while his friends eat bacon. Twice.

3) Has white truffle soufle for dinner

4) provided with hummus, while the others were offered pegasus and phoenix

5) Says in SS&DT that he has a tofu-based diet. That may be out of continuity, though.
    Not that it matters anymore, but this is another example.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, V is a vegetarian.
    Thank you, Giant.

This is not, however, any sort of blunt statement about elven superiority, simply because I do not actually subscribe to the idea that elves are superior in the first place.
    But you think elves are awesome, right?

I have a right to include some characters who share the same philosophies as myself in my own story without it being some sort of controversy. Two characters (neither of whom really discuss it) in a cast of dozens is no great burden on the reading public.
    Two? Who is the second? V's spouse, possibly, but s/he's only a minor character so far. Or Haley? We saw her eat salad for New Year's supper, and pancakes for breakfast. I don't think we've ever seen her eat meat.

Let the speculation commence.

Edit - Ah, Celia. Of course.

Edit again - Haley's not vegetarian
    Last edited by Ron Miel; 2013-06-03 at 09:44 PM.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Wow, I never noticed. Yet it makes so much sense.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    But you think elves are awesome, right?
    Yeah, it's definitely a good idea when you have to explicitly hide it from the paladin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    Yeah, it's definitely a good idea when you have to explicitly hide it from the paladin.
    Were they hiding it from the Paladin so much as roundabout criticizing the two humans for following orders to a T? Cause I doubt even Than would have accepted the Hobgoblin in their ranks.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

SIDE NOTE: Is this whole 'blue for sarcasm' a new thing on the board? I've just noticed it in the last couple of days.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I'm pretty sure that (what you're quoting, not the comic) was a joke.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorSarda View Post
    Were they hiding it from the Paladin so much as roundabout criticizing the two humans for following orders to a T? Cause I doubt even Than would have accepted the Hobgoblin in their ranks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    I'm pretty sure that (what you're quoting, not the comic) was a joke.
    Flame of Anor is being sarcastic, I believe. Apparently this whole 'Use a blue font to denote a sarcastic sentence' is a thing now. That's my interpetation at least.

Personally, I prefer this:

More my style.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2013-06-03 at 10:29 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Wait, why are people implying banana nut muffins are a vegetarian dish? Are meat muffins a popular thing?

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorSarda View Post
    A human is the one who suggests hiding it from Thanh. Why would he be criticizing the two humans which include himself?
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

27. - Top - End - #27
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Yes, V is a vegetarian.

For what little it's worth, I noticed some time ago. It just seemed like a neat little detail.
    Last edited by Grey Watcher; 2013-06-03 at 10:48 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    Flame of Anor is being sarcastic, I believe. Apparently this whole 'Use a blue font to denote a sarcastic sentence' is a thing now. That's my interpetation at least.

Personally, I prefer this:

More my style.
    I know Flame of Anor is being sarcastic (although I don't know where this blue font thing came from either). What I'm not sure of is why, because Ron Miel's comment was certainly not meant to be taken at face value either.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    I know Flame of Anor is being sarcastic (although I don't know where this blue font thing came from either). What I'm not sure of is why, because Ron Miel's comment was certainly not meant to be taken at face value either.
    Just playing along.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    Wait, why are people implying banana nut muffins are a vegetarian dish? Are meat muffins a popular thing?
    They are food and don't contain meat, ergo they are a vegetarian dish. It's not a particularly exclusive category.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.