New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default How Does A Wizard Ghost?

If a wizard dies under the right circumstances and becomes a ghost, does he retain his spellcasting abilities? Is he only able to cast the spells he had memorized before dying, or is he able to study the ghostly version of his spellbook and change his spell selection?

The one published precedent I can find is from The Haunting of Harrowstone, which gives us The Splatter Man, who as a ghost is able to cast a whole bevy of spells. But the description seems a little thin on how exactly this works mechanically.

Are there other published examples of wizardly ghosts, and is there any mechanical explanation of how they cast and/or recover their spells?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: How Does A Wizard Ghost?

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    If a wizard dies under the right circumstances and becomes a ghost, does he retain his spellcasting abilities? Is he only able to cast the spells he had memorized before dying, or is he able to study the ghostly version of his spellbook and change his spell selection?

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/ghost.htm

When a ghost forms, all its equipment and carried items usually become ethereal along with it. In addition, the ghost retains 2d4 items that it particularly valued in life (provided they are not in another creature’s possession). The equipment works normally on the Ethereal Plane but passes harmlessly through material objects or creatures. A weapon of +1 or better magical enhancement, however, can harm material creatures when the ghost manifests, but any such attack has a 50% chance to fail unless the weapon is a ghost touch weapon (just as magic weapons can fail to harm the ghost).

The original material items remain behind, just as the ghost’s physical remains do. If another creature seizes the original, the ethereal copy fades away. This loss invariably angers the ghost, who stops at nothing to return the item to its original resting place.

Presumably, he can study his ghostly spellbook, draw components from his ghostly pouch, and so forth.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

There was a spell whose whole purpose was to loose alive spell slots so that they are available when you die. i can't remember it's name (if somebody does please referance it) but it does imply you don't normally retain spell slots if you're dead.

Please visit and review my System.
    Generalist Sorcerer

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Asmotherion
    There was a spell whose whole purpose was to loose alive spell slots so that they are available when you die. i can't remember it's name (if somebody does please referance it) but it does imply you don't normally retain spell slots if you're dead.
    If you do remember the name of this one, please let me know—I’d love to take a look at it.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

I don’t own it, but I think a good place to look for rules on this might be Ghostwalk. I think I remember they made it a feat to retain spellcasting as a ghost
    OI YOU! Join this one Discord where people talk 3.5 stuff! Also chicken infested related things! It’s pretty rad! https://discord.gg/6HmgXhUZ

6. - Top - End - #6

Ghostwalk ghosts aren't undead - they're outsiders. As far as I can tell, undead ghosts have nothing stopping them casting spells the same way they did when they were alive.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Malphegor
    I don’t own it, but I think a good place to look for rules on this might be Ghostwalk.
    Ghostwalk does sound like the place to look for that, although I don't own it either.

It's 3.0, though, which begs the question of whether the relevant rules still apply.

Originally Posted by hamishspence
    As far as I can tell, undead ghosts have nothing stopping them casting spells the same way they did when they were alive.
    I hear you, but I'd be interested in finding that feat all the same.

Last edited by Palanan; 2019-08-24 at 02:26 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

Ghostwalk does sound like the place to look for that, although I don't own it either.

It's 3.0, though, which begs the question of whether the relevant rules still apply.
    it had a 3.5 update:

http://archive.wizards.com/default.a...d/we/20031225a

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

He stops answering his cell phone.

If you meant gain the Ghost template, that's a GM call. Ask yours today!
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

The one published precedent I can find is from The Haunting of Harrowstone, which gives us The Splatter Man, who as a ghost is able to cast a whole bevy of spells. But the description seems a little thin on how exactly this works mechanically.

Are there other published examples of wizardly ghosts, and is there any mechanical explanation of how they cast and/or recover their spells?
    The ghost template doesn't alter a spellcaster's ability to cast spells:
    Special Attacks
    A ghost retains all the special attacks of the base creature, although those relying on physical contact do not affect nonethereal creatures.
    However, if you plan to make use of spells with a range of Touch as a ghost against normal creatures that aren't incorporeal, you'll need Spectral Hand or a +1 ghost touch gauntlet.
    Extended signature here. Contains: 2 avatars, 3 quotes, a doggo and his friends.

Kitchen Crashers: an adventure building Iron Chef - First edition running 20/04/18-18/05/18.