New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default [DnD 3.5] Best Spells of Any Class?

For one of the games I'm aiming to play in, I'm heavily considering 9 levels into the Chameleon class. Basically, I would have the ability to choose spells from the class lists of any arcane or divine caster class. Therefore, my question to you fine people in the playground: "What Arcane/Divine spell(s) (levels 1-6) do you consider the best?" Feel free to use whatever criteria you feel the "best" spell(s) should have.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: [DnD 3.5] Best Spells of Any Class?

Haste. The Trapsmith version that's a Level 1 spell.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Look at the Ranger and Paladin lists. They get a LOT of spells at a lower level than clerics. Particularly the Sword of the Arcane Order Mystic Ranger, IIRC.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Disintigrate is the best core damage spell but direct damage sucks so... ynow.
    Phantasmal killer, overland flight , baleful polymorph ,mass ability boost (bears, cat, fox, ect) , tensers, telekenisies, polymorph (I LIKe transmutaion) Dominate/ charm (cos minions are always good) resurection/ raise dead (Read free saftey net) Entangle, polymorph. Think thats a few...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

What is/are your base class(es)?

If you have 3 levels of Duskblade, then any touch spell rocks for you. Just as an example.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Are you starting at Chameleon 9? Or planning on working up to there in your build?

My chameleon (who is not that high level yet) gets a lot of use out of the Primal spells from Dragon Magic. You get them all 1-2 levels early off the ranger list, so 1 spell each 1st-4th levels. If you cast all 4, you get:

+5 on Climb, Swim, Survival, Jump, Listen, Spot
    +5 initiative
    +5 reflex saves
    +10 enhancement bonus to all speeds
    Uncanny Dodge and Improved Uncanny Dodge
    Low light vision

If you are dragonblooded type, you also get
    Blindsense 10
    +5 on a knowledge skill of your choice which you are considered trained in for the duration

Best of all, they all last 24 hours per casting, so you can take divine focus in the morning, cast them all (and a bunch of other hour/level buffs) then switch your focus to arcane. Or if you really have time to plan, you can take extend spell as your floating feat and cast them all the day before you go into combat.
    Last edited by Gnaeus; 2010-04-08 at 11:59 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

dmg wise fire seeds are pretty nice 10th level druid 8d8 + 80 dmg (put them in a sack with some stones so you can throw them all at once)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

For those of you asking specifically about that build I'm running, it's currently set at changeling rogue/4 scout/1 chameleon/9 for the trapfinding and social skills skill monkey. This can change, though. Spells I've been looking into have been the primal spell set from dragon magic, the "heart of" spells from complete arcane, and Glibness, a must-have 3rd level bard spell. The above suggestions are being incorporated into my plots though, thank you. Keep 'em coming.
    Last edited by Voice of Reason; 2010-04-08 at 12:21 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Bards get some spells a little earlier than Wiz/Sor. Might look there.

Theres that Sorcerer one: Wings of Something, that is supposed to be pretty powerful.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2010-04-08 at 12:29 PM.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Shivering Touch from Frostburn. 3d6 Dex damage with no save. It's so powerful that we houseruled it to have a fort save for half, otherwise you can drop a dragon with one spell.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by reptilecobra13 View Post
    Shivering Touch from Frostburn. 3d6 Dex damage with no save. It's so powerful that we houseruled it to have a fort save for half, otherwise you can drop a dragon with one spell.
    what level spell is that!?

And I suggest subtle spells such as Burning Blood (4th) and others like that, that are more subtle than something like an Exploding Delayed Blast Quickened Fireball...

Though nothing in my book beats the fun of Suggestion. Suggestion + Subtle death = loophole

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LichPrinceAlim View Post
    what level spell is that!?...
    3rd Cle//Wiz/Sor
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    3rd Cle//Wiz/Sor
    CRAP!!!!!

I really need a 4th level slot...

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

...I really need a 4th level slot...
    You can use higher level slots for lower level spells

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    You can use higher level slots for lower level spells
    I didn't know that... I NEVER play casters. Ever. I play monk 60% of the time. the 39% is devoted to Sohei/Barbarian

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

The spell you are looking for k-bard is wings of flurry, Sorc 4, 1d6/cl without cap damage in a 30 ft radius, reflex for half. and IIRC also dazes the ones who fail the sabe, it is also [Force] so it affects incorporeal cratures.
    Sorc 4

also wings of cover, swift action gives you total cover, useful for breaking LoE and also is an imediate action, so you can use it to defend againts nasty effects.

Sorc 2
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

I didn't know that... I NEVER play casters. Ever. I play monk 60% of the time. the 39% is devoted to Sohei/Barbarian
    Well yeah, if you wanna fill your Level 4 slots with "weaker" spells then that's your perogative.

^-Yep, them's the ones.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

You poor, deprived soul.

Quote Originally Posted by strider24seven View Post
    Look at the Ranger and Paladin lists. They get a LOT of spells at a lower level than clerics. Particularly the Sword of the Arcane Order Mystic Ranger, IIRC.
    Which is why you play an Archivist, and cast those low-level spells with your full CL. And Battle Blessing.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

CRAP!!!!!

I really need a 4th level slot...
    Hahaha. That was kind of our reaction when we found that spell.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Soooo, why has no one mentioned Streamers yet? Oh, right, cause it's brokentastic.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Soooo, why has no one mentioned Streamers yet? Oh, right, cause it's brokentastic.
    Care to elaborate please?
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    Care to elaborate please?
    Streamers is a spell from Shining South - widely regarded as the most powerful damaging Evocation in the game. It's a ranged touch attack, can target multiple opponents or focus on one, and continues attacking foes without any direction from you for rounds/level if they take any action at all. Each ribbon deals 5d10 per hit, and the spell even uses your BAB, therefore getting iteratives.

The spell is on both the cleric and wiz/sor lists (5th level.)
    Last edited by Optimystik; 2010-04-08 at 03:02 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Bards get Irresistible Dance at 6th and Hold Person at 2nd, instead of the Sor/Wiz standards of 8th and 3rd, respectively.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    Streamers is a spell from Shining South - widely regarded as the most powerful damaging Evocation in the game. It's a ranged touch attack, can target multiple opponents or focus on one, and continues attacking foes without any direction from you for rounds/level if they take any action at all. Each ribbon deals 5d10 per hit, and the spell even uses your BAB, therefore getting iteratives.

The spell is on both the cleric and wiz/sor lists (5th level.)
    I just found my Sorcadin's combat opening spell. Wow that's powerful. Considering he's gestalt with 18 BAB, ouch!
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Godskook View Post
    I just found my Sorcadin's combat opening spell. Wow that's powerful. Considering he's gestalt with 18 BAB, ouch!
    It gets worse - you launch 1 extra streamer every 3 levels after 9th. At 18th level, your sorcerer would be launching the maximum of 4 streamers, each one lasting for 18 rounds. If they all focus on one opponent, that would be 5d10*16 (4 attacks per ribbon with your BAB) of untyped damage each round, if your opponent so much as sneezes. And they would stay on him for 18 rounds.

Range medium, no saving throw. Who says Evocation doesn't get nice things?

Oh, they also follow the target if he runs.
    Last edited by Optimystik; 2010-04-08 at 03:21 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

that is pretty impressive and scary

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Careful reading will put a damper on your fun; you only get to prepare and cast your spells from one class's spell list at a time. It can be a different one each time you enter Arcane/Divine Focus, but you can't cast Bard and Wizard spells alongside one another. Also be careful that classes you're trying to grab spells off of have their own lists; an Archivist may have access to all Divine spells in theory, but in the end is only using other classes' lists, and spell lists are all that matters to the Chameleon class.
    Last edited by FMArthur; 2010-04-08 at 06:17 PM.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by FMArthur View Post
    Careful reading will put a damper on your fun; you only get to prepare and cast your spells from one class's spell list at a time. It can be a different one each time you enter Arcane/Divine Focus, but you can't cast Bard and Wizard spells alongside one another. Also be careful that classes you're trying to grab spells off of have their own lists; an Archivist may have access to all Divine spells in theory, but in the end is only using other classes' lists, and spell lists are all that matters to the Chameleon class.
    Thats an interesting RAI there, but it could just as easily be interpreted as letting you cast from different lists with the same focus.

It says "You gain the ability to prepare and cast (arcane/divine) spells, which may be chosen from the spell list of any (arcane/divine) spellcasting class." It doesn't say that you have to pick a class when you choose the focus, or that your spells must all be from the same class, or anything like that. A mean DM could do that to you and be in RAW, but Chameleons aren't OP without such a ruling.
    Last edited by Gnaeus; 2010-04-08 at 06:32 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Am I seriously in before Celerity?

Because Celerity. Celerity is very cheesy. It will let you win many battles if your GM will allow it.
    "Once upon a time, a story was never finished..."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Oops I accidentally Celerity?

Yeah, I forgot to mention that one too. I like Greater Celerity myself. Though, if we're including Celerity, I'd like to toss out Favor of the Martyr, one of the few ways to be immune to Dazing.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.