New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default sex and politics

Jack was non compos mentis after the linked casters were broken up. Nothing could bring him back to himself, not Stanley threatening him, choking him or pleading with him, not Parson calling Jack by name, not traveling back to Faq, not even the direct threat of mortal combat. Nothing could bring Jack back...except Jillian.

Right after he sees Jillian, Jack helps Stanley escape. But is it out of loyalty to Stanley or out of wanting to avoid Jillian? I'm leaning towards the latter.

This girl has got it whatever it is. Wanda certainly seems loyal to Stanley. And she seemed to be the in control of the relationship with Jillian, both in terms of roles and in terms of emotional dependency. But then again, Wanda did act like the spurned lover when she fired off the air defenses. And though she was about to chase after Stanley, in my mind, I think Wanda also wanted to chase after Jillian. And then there is the backfire of the suggestion spell. Maybe Maggie is right the Wanda is a novice thinkamancer and a good thinkamancer could have protect herself from the backlash. But maybe to do so you have to be emtionally detached from the subject like Maggie.

Ansom too is under Jillian's "spell". Yes Ansom is the trusting type. But both Vinnie and Webinar warned him about Jillian even though the evidence spoke for itself...Jillian was a risk to the coalition before the suggestion spell on Jillian was broken. Even after that, he trusted her again and she went to parley with Wanda which turned out to be the wrong move yet again.

And then there is Faq. I do think Stanley razed Faq though I can't prove it. I agree that there is more to Faq story than has been revealed so far. One thought I've had is that maybe Faq would not have fallen if Jillian had not been away.

So although I think Stanley is the villian of the story in that he set the conflict in motion, Jillian is key to letting all the events happen. In the end, it was her responsibility to cut Stanley off at the pass and she failed at that and thus has prolonged the war. She could have remained loyal to Jillian and pretty much secured a win for Parson if she had not attacked the dwagons. Instead she rescued the coalition and made Stanley flee. Similarly, I think she had an important if not key role to play in the start of this conflict.
    Last edited by HamsterOfTheGod; 2008-10-16 at 03:01 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: sex and politics

One note: I think that Parson's thinkagram to Jack was at least partially responsible for returning him to his senses.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

A more disturbing note:
    When faced between choosing Jillian or Stanley, the latter is the preferred choice. Wanda chooses to stand by Stanley. Jack chooses to save Stanley's boop. Ansom's vendetta against Stanley may very well prove to be a higher priority than his barbarian girlfriend.

Messianic characters just have a stronger charisma mod. I dunno.
    Belkar's Bad to the Bone.
    Dispossible a fetter hein and bemay kine a sinder's tock.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HamsterOfTheGod View Post
    Jack was non compos mentis after the linked casters were broken up. Nothing could bring him back to himself, not Stanley threatening him, choking him or pleading with him, not Parson calling Jack by name, not traveling back to Faq, not even the direct threat of mortal combat. Nothing could bring Jack back... except Jillian.
    My opinion is that it started with being called by name. That cleared his head enough to take some initiative. And also able to recognize Jillian. And when he did recognize her, the compos was complete. His full powers of illusion and suggestion clicked in, allowing him to dump a city's worth of foolamancy on a single dragon and 2 riders. Without his name, Jack would not have been able to react to Jillian's presence, and he would have only used his powers in response to a direct order.

And then there is the backfire of the suggestion spell. Maybe Maggie is right the Wanda is a novice thinkamancer and a good thinkamancer could have protect herself from the backlash. But maybe to do so you have to be emtionally detached from the subject like Maggie.
    Or she would have been able to put the damage on Jillian, but chose not to, for fear of destroying her mind.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

So after 128/116 it seems to me that Jack is in love with Jillian. Jack may be loyal to Stanley but I'm thinking he used the veil in part to avoid a confrontation with Jillian.

And the first panel of 128/116...isn't that sentiment shared by Ansom and Wanda?

Jack may be sane but he is still playing the role of the jester.
    Last edited by HamsterOfTheGod; 2008-10-29 at 11:17 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    OotS Fan-fiction (An alternate OotS-verse starting after page 603. If you want to read it go here)

bad Erf-poetry

and other sillyness.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HamsterOfTheGod View Post
    Jack may be sane but he is still playing the role of the jester.
    The foolamancer playing the jester?
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!