1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Lemmy's Custom Weapon Generation System

Phew... Here we go!

Quote Originally Posted by Almarck View Post
    New Flaws:
    Melee Munitions:
    This flaw requires the melee weapon expend some sort of resource in order to function properly; popular choices include battery power and magic. It gains an ammo capacity of 1 and is reloaded as a ranged weapon of its size. If ammo or battery power could not be spent, this weapon’s damage is reduced by 3 Steps and all beneficial magical enchantments on the weapon are suppressed.
    Special: For 3 CP, the energy is drained every time an attack is made, regardless of if it hits or misses. For 1 CP, the energy is only drained if attack does damage.
    Prerequisite: Melee weapon. Craft Points Value: 1 or 3

No Manual Reloads: This flaw makes it so that the weapon is unable to be reloaded in a combat situation. The exact specifics are left to the GM to decide, but regardless, the weapon cannot be reloaded by hand and requires specific, non stressful circumstances to do so.
    Prerequisite: Ammo Capacity. Craft Points Value: Up to 5 (weapon cannot be reloaded at all)
    Hmmm... I don't know how I feel about having an universal reload-system for melee weapons... There's already Motorblade for that. Besides, even a chainsaw can be used as an improvised bludgeoning weapon . That said, I might add a "Boost" modification that lets you temporarily increase the weapon's damage and/or efficiency in exchange for having to recharge it or wait for it to cool off. Could make for a funny "Rocket Hammer" mechanic. Heh...

I do like the idea of weapons that require some specific equipment or facility to reload... But again, I don't know about making them a universal modification. Seems more like a siege weapon kind of thing.

New Trait
    Modification*

Solar Powered: This weapon or power source is able to recharge itself just by being in the sun. At 1 CP, the weapon regains 1 ammo every hour. At 2, 1 Ammo every 10 minutes. At 3, 1 ammo every minute.
    Prerequisite: Ammo Capacity. Craft Points Value: 1, 2, or 3
    That's a pretty cool idea. I was tinkering with the concept of recharging weapons. I probably wouldn't limit it to solar energy, though. Maybe the weapon just has to cool off after firing.

External Feed: This weapon is able to connect to an external source which supplies to weapon’s primary magazine with more ammunition. Attaching an external feed is dependant on the size of the external source.
    Special: The type of external source to be attached must be compatible with the weapon’s ammo type.
    Requirements: Ammo Capacity. Craft Points: 1* for Light and One-Handed Weapons. 2 for Two-Handed weapons.
    Again... I don't know about making it an universal modification, but I like the possibility of having it for more unique weapons.

Also, maybe changing the Firearm and Firearm Advanced traits to “High Velocity” and “Extreme Velocity” might be a good idea? The reasoning, is that this might say, allow more freedom of customization, since it would allow for say bows that could compete with firearms; essentially let the peopel using the system decide the flavor of the weapons you’re using. And it would allow more freedom in designing the ammunition system if you get to it. A number of other traits are like that, admittedly, but I just wonder if it might be a good idea to reduce the ammount of specific weapon name or type reference so that the person buying the weapon is more free to customize the ascetic feel of the weapon.
    You could use the firearm modification to make a high-velocity anything... The names for modifications and categories' are there mostly as suggestions and clarifications. They shouldn't stop you from using them to reflect different mechanics. If you want your weapon to target touch AC because it shoots psychic energy, you can buy the Firearm modification and simply fluff it differently...

Munitions Rules (prototype)
    All weapons that consume ammo to work require munitions to work. Upon creating a weapon, determine the type of ammo it uses and the cost to purchase it.

The cost for ammo is determined by the proficiency of the weapon, under the logic of more complex weapons use more rarified ammo.
    Simple weapon ammo costs 1 copper piece, with empty clips costing 1 copper for every 10 rounds in capacity.
    Martial weapon ammo costs 1 silver piece, with empty clips costing 1 silver for every 10 rounds in capacity.
    Exotic weapon ammo costs 1 gold piece, with empty clips costing 1 gold for every 10 rounds in capacity.

Generally speaking, the type of ammo is not that important, though defining a broad category such as “bullets”, “buckshot”, or “arrows” is perhaps necessary.
    I'd rather not differentiate ammo based on weapon category (simple/martial/exotic), but on weapon "handiness" (light/one-handed/two-handed) and propulsion method (firearm, string, crank, etc). Maybe on type of damage and source of energy (if any) as well. Still... I'll probably make ammo cost rules as simple and general as possible. The only thing more boring than keeping track of ammo is keeping track of its cost.

Another type of “ammo” is powered munitions, in which the weapon consumes power, either magical or electronic to use its functions. Powered weapons are able to utilize the same power sources and energy; powered ammo is always treated as exotic ammo regardless of the price and any “power pack” or power storing unit made for one weapon can be attached to another. (provided that one weapon uses an external feed). This could be done to say, attach solar powered or fusion backpack storage units to feed a light saber.
    That's already the case of certain modifications, such as Elemental Damage... It it's a "powered munition" in the sense that it consumes charges/fuel... But no physical ammo.

As usual, thank you for your input. I really appreciate the suggestions.
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2017-04-07 at 04:24 PM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Swaoeaeieu View Post
    i dont really see it that way. first off, the melee munitions flaw isnt really fleshed out enough to use yet. Plus in the show she doesnt really reload her rapier, it just coats in elemental energy. I also dont know what casting focus does or if its viable for a minor utility, but i like the idea. you also list 3 0 point mods, the third one should be 1 cost. and you dont need finesse on a light weapon.
    Quote Originally Posted by khadgar567 View Post
    You know if we put them in party weis ends up mainly wizard with rapier and during major part of show she dont uses magus stuff but who cares its lemmy's book so he is gonna decide whos build represents the weapon better mine is kinda try to reach her fluff and spirit in good terms
    No need for fighting... We can all have different ideas on how to do it. No adaptation is perfect, after all... Even the examples I come up with and write down in the google doc are nothing more than my personal idea of how to do it, not an official adaption.

Personally, I'd make it a 1-handed exotic piercing weapon... And add Finesse (1 cp), alternate damage (Slashing cp) and Energy Conduit (x3) (6 cp) (I know she uses a bunch of different types of damage, but honestly, cold, fire and electricity are enough to recreate the weapon. I don't remember she ever using acid and sonic, after all. To compensate for the extra CP, I'd either take a flaw, make it a light weapon (so as to not need the Finesse modification) or straight up "cheat" by saying that the weapon was made by someone with the Extraordinary Smith feat.

(You guys forgot about the feats, didn't you? )
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2017-04-07 at 05:08 PM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

3. - Top - End - #123
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    No need for fighting... We can all have different ideas on how to do it. No adaptation is perfect, after all... Even the examples I come up with and write down in the google doc are nothing more than my personal idea of how to do it, not an official adaption.

Personally, I'd make it a 1-handed exotic piercing weapon... And add Finesse (1 cp), alternate damage (Slashing cp) and Energy Conduit (x3) (6 cp) (I know she uses a bunch of different types of damage, but honestly, cold, fire and electricity are enough to recreate the weapon. I don't remember she ever using acid and sonic, after all. To compensate for the extra CP, I'd either takea flaw, make it a light weapon (so as to not need the Finesse modification) or straight up "cheat" by saying that the weapon was made by someone with the Extraordinary Smith feat.

(You guys forgot about the feats, didn't you? )
    Hey man, if i could fix up the mess of a weapon that is Gambol shroud without cheating, we should be able to do that flimsy rapier as well
    Quote Originally Posted by Orderic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by swaoeaeieu
    Or maybe, i dont know... adoption?
    Don't be ridiculous. We need those orphans...
    If at any point you notice mistakes in my English, please let me know, I am always looking to improve.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Hey man, if i could fix up the mess of a weapon that is Gambol shroud without cheating, we should be able to do that flimsy rapier as well
    Hey! I'm the creator! It's not cheating if I say it's legal!

But, well... Making it a light weapon to save costs on the Finesse modification should work. It's a pretty small rapier, after all... Closer to those small swords that eventually replaced rapiers when walking around with swords wasn't as fashionable or necessary anymore...
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2017-04-07 at 05:05 PM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

Still melee munitions looks like perfect way to fasilitate her change bullet change spesific dust used mechanic which why i used one energy conduit since using diffrent dust makes diffrent eneegy coating as my method
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

6. - Top - End - #126

Kobold

I do like the idea of weapons that require some specific equipment or facility to reload... But again, I don't know about making them a universal modification. Seems more like a siege weapon kind of thing.
    Think of it this way, you might as well account for single shot weapons like say disposable rocket launchers.

That's a pretty cool idea. I was tinkering with the concept of recharging weapons. I probably wouldn't limit it to solar energy, though. Maybe the weapon just has to cool off after firing.

Again... I don't know about making it an universal modification, but I like the possibility of having it for more unique weapons.
    It's a universal modification to weapons that have "ammo capacity". Really, it makes sense that for some weapons, especially the kind that have say "no manual reloads" they have a gimmick that they have to pull off to recharge or reload.

That's already the case of certain modifications, such as Elemental Damage... It it's a "powered munition" in the sense that it consumes charges/fuel... But no physical ammo.
    I was thinking in the sense that when it came down to it, most energy weapons really just need electricity unless they're trying to do something involving chemistry, by all logic should be interchangable or draw off the same power grid or could be recharged using the same method.
    I possess the Addicted to Editing flaw. I have edit my posts 3 seconds after posting them for 10 minutes.

Current Projects:

Backing Dragon: the Inheritance - World of Darkness Fan game where you play a dragon
    Mutant - Be a horrible abomination of a player character. Comes in a variety of flavors.
    Proprietor - Bring a House to a Sword fight! Be the adventuring interior/exterior decorator. Use siege weapons, customize your hour.

Extended Signature

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Still melee munitions looks like perfect way to fasilitate her change bullet change spesific dust used mechanic which why i used one energy conduit since using diffrent dust makes diffrent eneegy coating as my method
    Well... To be fair, the best way would be using the equivalent of magic oils... I was just trying to recreate the overall feel of the weapon. A light piercing weapon that deals a multitude of different types of elemental damage gets pretty close.

That reminds me... I might have to add rules for weapons's battery charges/fuel. I don't remember how well-defined they are in Pathfinder's Technology Guide and can't recall an equivalent system in 3.5, although I'm sure it exists in some form...
    Homebrew Stuff:

8. - Top - End - #128

Kobold

Question Re: Lemmy's Custom Weapon Generation System

Well... To be fair, the best way would be using the equivalent of magic oils... I was just trying to recreate the overall feel of the weapon. A light piercing weapon that deals a multitude of different types of elemental damage gets pretty close.

That reminds me... I might have to add rules for weapons's battery charges/fuel. I don't remember how well-defined they are in Pathfinder's Technology Guide and can't recall an equivalent system in 3.5, although I'm sure it exists in some form...

Relevant information:
    http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment/te...cal-equipment/
    And
    http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment/go...ological-gear/
    Under batteries.

Power Sources

Most of the technological wonders presented here require energy to function. These items each have a capacity score, which indicates the maximum number of charges the item can store at any one time. The number of charges an item consumes when it is used varies from item to item. An item’s capacity can be filled from any power source—like a battery or a generator—as a standard action. When an item is charged, it always takes as many charges from the attached power source as it can hold, filling as close to its capacity as possible. Note that charging an item from a generator is more efficient, as any charges drained from a battery in excess of the number of charges an item can store are lost.

Battery

Price 100 gp; Slot none; Weight 1 lb.; Capacity —; Usage —
    DESCRIPTION

Most technological items are powered by electricity. While one can use the electricity provided by a generator, these are rare, expensive, and rarely portable. It’s more common and practical to charge such items with batteries. A battery looks like a small silver disk that’s etched with strange lines—the people have taken to calling batteries “silverdisks” and sometimes use them as coins. A battery contains 10 charges when full; to charge an item with a battery, one simply slips the disk-shaped device into the proper slot on the item. The battery’s charge instantly fully depletes, and the item’s internal capacitors fill with 10 charges as it does so. If the item had fewer than 10 open slots in its capacity, the excess charges the battery once held are lost. A battery can be kept within an object indefinitely, or it can be ejected from the object for the purposes of recharging it or storing it elsewhere without affecting the item’s charge. Inserting or ejecting a battery is a move action.
    Placing a battery in a generator’s charging slot can recharge it. However, each time a battery is recharged, there’s a 20% chance that the battery is destroyed in the process. A destroyed battery is worth only 10 gp. The bulk of “silverdisks” in circulation today are destroyed batteries; one can tell a functional battery from a destroyed one by the way the circuitry seems to shimmer slightly when reflecting light. The circuitry in a charged battery glows with a soft blue radiance equal to that of a candle.

It's very simple. Universal batteries and electrical system that is crosscompatible with multiple types of devices regardless of function. Energy is obtained from generators, put into batteries and it's as simple as plugging things in.

You can use the same battery for powering armor, weapons, and medical equipment.
    Last edited by Almarck; 2017-04-08 at 02:04 PM.
    I possess the Addicted to Editing flaw. I have edit my posts 3 seconds after posting them for 10 minutes.

Current Projects:

Backing Dragon: the Inheritance - World of Darkness Fan game where you play a dragon
    Mutant - Be a horrible abomination of a player character. Comes in a variety of flavors.
    Proprietor - Bring a House to a Sword fight! Be the adventuring interior/exterior decorator. Use siege weapons, customize your hour.

Extended Signature

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Think of it this way, you might as well account for single shot weapons like say disposable rocket launchers.
    True... Although I'm tempted to treat "disposable" weapons as ammo...

It's a universal modification to weapons that have "ammo capacity". Really, it makes sense that for some weapons, especially the kind that have say "no manual reloads" they have a gimmick that they have to pull off to recharge or reload.
    But then we have longbows spawning arrows... Although... By that logic, we can already have completely nonmagical longbows shooting lightning arrows!

I was thinking in the sense that when it came down to it, most energy weapons really just need electricity unless they're trying to do something involving chemistry, by all logic should be interchangable or draw off the same power grid or could be recharged using the same method.
    Well, for those weapons, the number of charges/fuel units is their ammo, since they don't usually require ordinary projectiles to work. In fact, I should probably make that clearer in the homebrew...
    Homebrew Stuff:

10. - Top - End - #130

Kobold

Sure. And then 50 rocket launchers are worth the same as a sword.
    Seriously, it's a useful trait to describe single piece weapons that have very limited uses.

Well, for those weapons, the number of charges/fuel units is their ammo, since they don't usually require ordinary projectiles to work. In fact, I should probably make that clearer in the homebrew...
    I posted the Tech Guide sections above since you wanted them

I think what you have though works as an ammo capacity, I just mean to add say, a way to have generic electrical power converted into weapon charges so it could be compatable such as when say universal power sources are involved like Tech Guide batteries.. But eh, not my Homebrew, so I guess I can't force it
    Last edited by Almarck; 2017-04-08 at 02:10 PM.

Current Projects:

Extended Signature

11. - Top - End - #131

PirateGuy

how do flaws with a value of 0 work? there are only 2, so you cant take 3 for a 1 extra :P
    also, why is reduced ammo capacity a thing? all ranged weapons start with 1 and need to pay to get more. then you get points back by reducing it again? seems redundant
    Last edited by Swaoeaeieu; 2017-04-08 at 02:23 PM.
    If at any point you notice mistakes in my English, please let me know, I am always looking to improve.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

how do flaws with a value of 0 work? there are only 2, so you cant take 3 for a 1 extra :P
    You can use them to get extra 0 cp modifications.

also, why is reduced ammo capacity a thing? all ranged weapons start with 1 and need to pay to get more. then you get points back by reducing it again? seems redundant
    Ah... The feeling of Déjà vu...

I'm too lazy to type all of that again, so here goes the quote!

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    Finally how many ammo a weapon have by default?
    There is a flaw who needs a weapon to have more than 3 ammo in it initially for having the flaw applied but if all weapons starts at 1 then it means that you can take this flaw only if you apply the quality that have the same effect per cost.
    That's a good point. Most medieval weapons have a standard ammo capacity of 1 (or 0, in the case of bows, where you load as you shoot), so having a flaw that just compensates for a modification you paid for is pretty much pointless... Unless the GM decides that the game takes place in a setting where certain weapons (such as firearms) are common and advanced enough to get 2~3 instances of Improved Ammo Capacity for free.

Keep in mind that my humble homebrew assumes the usual medieval/renaissance-ish fantasy world so typical of D&D and Pathfinder, but it can be used for different types of settings as well... As long as certain considerations are made:

We have the following paragraph in the document:
    Quote Originally Posted by Technology & Weapon Modifications
    Some weapon modifications (such as Gunpowder and Crank (Automatic)) may require a higher level of technological advancement than what is present in a certain setting. As such, these modifications may have “Exotic Weapon” as an additional requirement, make the weapon far more expensive, only be known to certain people or even not exist at all.
    The GM is always the final arbiter of what modifications are available and what are their effects on a weapon’s price and availability.
    (bolded for emphasis)

I only mention limitations there, but the reverse is also true: If a particular modification is common enough, it'd make sense for the GM to reduce its price or even give it for free to certain weapons. It all depends on what you want to be standard weapon of your setting. Notice that there's no extra cost to not make your weapons not have the Fragile property. That's because the system assumes the setting is technologically advanced enough to make non-Fragile weapons the rule and Fragile weapons the exception.
    After that, I did change the "Technology & Weapon Modifications" session to clarify that some modifications can be made cheaper or even given for free, depending on setting and context.
    Homebrew Stuff:

13. - Top - End - #133

PirateGuy

You can use them to get extra 0 cp modifications.

Ah... The feeling of Déjà vu...

I'm too lazy to type all of that again, so here goes the quote!

After that, I did change the "Technology & Weapon Modifications" session to clarify that some modifications can be made cheaper or even given for free, depending on setting and context.
    ok yea sure, thanks for the clarification.

i dont have anything specific to say, but i get the feeling ranged weapons, especially guns. have some flaws that arent too bad too use (cheap extra points y'all!) compared to melee flaws, wich almost instantly make the weapon unusable.

could just be me though.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

ok yea sure, thanks for the clarification.

i dont have anything specific to say, but i get the feeling ranged weapons, especially guns. have some flaws that arent too bad too use (cheap extra points y'all!) compared to melee flaws, wich almost instantly make the weapon unusable.

could just be me though.
    That might be the case... Although that's mostly because some of the flaws could be circumvented via special ammo, so I didn't want to allow Ranged weapons to get them. Other flaws are already innate to ranged weapons, like "nonthreatening".

That said... I think I'll change the value of certain flaws, like Unreliable. Maybe Unwieldly and Wasteful as well...

I might also reduce the maximum craft point value gained from flaws, or the maximum number of flaws... I don't know.
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2017-04-08 at 03:29 PM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

15. - Top - End - #135

PirateGuy

Suggested modification:

Spiker: A weapon with this modification has a small, built in projectile launcher wich functions as a [crank] or a [firearm] (chosen upon creation of the weapon) and used ammunition for the chosen type of ranged weapon. A spiker cannot fire at range or when the weapon is thrown. Instead, it discharges a bolt in conjunction with a succesful melee attack. If you are profficient with a spiker weapon, any time you hit a foe in melee with a loaded spiker weapon, the mechanism automatically triggers, firing its projectile into the target of your melee attack. This projectile deals piercing damage equal to the base damage of the weapon without an extra attack roll required. This extra damage is not multiplied on a critical hit.
    A spiker costs a move action to reload and holds 1 piece of ammunition.
    Special: A spiker counts as a ranged weapon for modification to ammo capacity and reload speed.
    Requirements: Exotic melee weapon, one-handed or two-handed. Craft points: 2

Because the spikard weapons in magic of ebberon never got enough love i thought you could add it to your project. This is one way to do it, making the melee weapon do more damage, another way i thought it could work is making it restricted to double weapons of a melee and ranged combo, but that would make it way more complicated to give clear rules. This is the closest to the original i could see it working, so what do you guys think, does it hold a place in this project or does it impede on the double weapon rule too much?

16. - Top - End - #136
    Troll in the Playground

Suggested modification:

Spiker: A weapon with this modification has a small, built in projectile launcher wich functions as a [crank] or a [firearm] (chosen upon creation of the weapon) and used ammunition for the chosen type of ranged weapon. A spiker cannot fire at range or when the weapon is thrown. Instead, it discharges a bolt in conjunction with a succesful melee attack. If you are profficient with a spiker weapon, any time you hit a foe in melee with a loaded spiker weapon, the mechanism automatically triggers, firing its projectile into the target of your melee attack. This projectile deals piercing damage equal to the base damage of the weapon without an extra attack roll required. This extra damage is not multiplied on a critical hit.
    Special: A spiker counts as a ranged weapon for modification to ammo capacity and reload speed.

Because the spikard weapons in magic of ebberon never got enough love i thought you could add it to your project. This is one way to do it, making the melee weapon do more damage, another way i thought it could work is making it restricted to double weapons of a melee and ranged combo, but that would make it way more complicated to give clear rules. This is the closest to the original i could see it working, so what do you guys think, does it hold a place in this project or does it impede on the double weapon rule too much?
    that remind me the revolver gun blade thoug maybe as alternative to this version it boosts crit instead of damage so 2x to 3x on successful natural crit or just drop crit range by good amount like 5 points.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Suggested modification:

that remind me the revolver gun blade though maybe as alternative to this version it boosts crit instead of damage so 2x to 3x on successful natural crit or just drop crit range by good amount like 5 points.
    That sounds like a version of the "Booster" modification I have in the draft doc... It increases the weapons damage/efficacy at the expense of using ammo, fuel or charges.

I'm also working on a "non-combat reloading" flaw and a "cooldown" modification.
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2017-04-09 at 01:54 PM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

18. - Top - End - #138

Kobold

You didn't reply to my last replies BTW. So I don't know if you got to them.

Current Projects:

Extended Signature

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Oops... Sorry, Almarck. I somehow missed this post.

Sure. And then 50 rocket launchers are worth the same as a sword.
    Seriously, it's a useful trait to describe single piece weapons that have very limited uses.
    Well... The rocket launchers that can be created using the current ammo rules aren't very powerful... But I'm currently working on a "non-combat reload" flaw.

I posted the Tech Guide sections above since you wanted them

I think what you have though works as an ammo capacity, I just mean to add say, a way to have generic electrical power converted into weapon charges so it could be compatible such as when say universal power sources are involved like Tech Guide batteries.. But eh, not my Homebrew, so I guess I can't force it
    I appreciate it... I just don't see the mechanical difference between saying "You have four units of ammo left. They can be shot to deal 1d6 fire damage." and "You have four charges/fuel units left. You can use them to shoot energy projectiles that cause 1d6 fire damage.".

I'm not trying to dismiss your idea... I'm just trying to see a significant mechanical difference.
    Homebrew Stuff:

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

You didn't reply to my last replies BTW. So I don't know if you got to them.
    Heh... You literally posted this as I was writing my reply.

Sorry for the wait.
    Homebrew Stuff:

21. - Top - End - #141

PirateGuy

That sounds like a version of the "Booster" modification I have in the draft doc... It increases the weapons damage/efficacy at the expense of using ammo, fuel or charges.

I'm also working on a "non-combat reloading" flaw and a "cooldown" modification.
    Booster being ammo, fuel and charges seems a bit too vague, you could split them into simmilar but clearer mods for ease of use.

cooldown would be a deficit on a weapon right? wouldnt that be a flaw then?\

But if my version looks like yours, feel free to compare and use wichever. i just love the spikard weapons and would add them to my version if i give my players this homebrew to work with :P

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Booster being ammo, fuel and charges seems a bit too vague, you could split them into simmilar but clearer mods for ease of use.
    Yes, The wording is pretty vague and unclear right now... That's why it's still only in the draft doc.

cooldown would be a deficit on a weapon right? wouldnt that be a flaw then?
    Sort of... It's a "cooldown" because the weapons requires time to regenerate its ammo/charge/fuel/whatever... But at the same time, it's effectively regenerating ammo/charge/fuel/whatever. I'm trying to split the regeneration and cooldown aspects into different things, but the wording and point value are difficult to decide...

But if my version looks like yours, feel free to compare and use whichever. i just love the spikard weapons and would add them to my version if i give my players this homebrew to work with :P
    The "Booster" modification is based on feedback and suggestions from this very thread... I'm just trying to make it more open-ended, so that it could, for example, increase a weapons range instead or damage... Or temporarily give it an additional modification... This sort of thing. :)
    Homebrew Stuff:

23. - Top - End - #143

PirateGuy

Another test of the system

Jedi Lightsaber:
    One handed exotic melee slashing weapon.
    [1d6, 19-20 x2]

Modifications: [Concealable] (0), [Deadly] (0), [Elemental Damage-force] (2), [Endless Charge] (1), [Finesse] (1), [Retractable] (1), [Solid Energy] (1)

Well... it does the things a light saber does, but somehow it feels a little expensive to turn the damage elemental, only to then turn it back to solid for 3 whole points... maybe elemental damage should be 1?

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Another test of the system

Jedi Lightsaber:
    One handed exotic melee slashing weapon.
    [1d6, 19-20 x2]

Modifications: [Concealable] (0), [Deadly] (0), [Elemental Damage-force] (2), [Endless Charge] (1), [Finesse] (1), [Retractable] (1), [Solid Energy] (1)

Well... it does the things a light saber does, but somehow it feels a little expensive to turn the damage elemental, only to then turn it back to solid for 3 whole points... maybe elemental damage should be 1?
    I don't know... Ignoring Damage Reduction is pretty good. I might reduce Elemental Damage's cost to 0 cp and raise solid energy's to 2 cp.

By the way is "force" considered elemental damage? Because that'd be a tad overpowered. I think I'll limit it to acid, cold, electricity, fire and sonic. Also, I'd say lightsaber damage is closer to Fire damage... And it probably doesn't have the "solid energy" modification (very few things can block a lightsaber).

I'd probably give lightsabers elemental damage (fire) (2 cp), concealable (0*), retractable (1*), improved damage die (2 cp) and endless charge (1 cp).
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2017-04-12 at 03:09 PM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ettin in the Playground

Force is not elemental damage just like city damage is not elemental damage.
    Unless you want people to use a city sword and kill people with an obscure damage nobody knows.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Force is not elemental damage just like city damage is not elemental damage.
    Unless you want people to use a city sword and kill people with an obscure damage nobody knows.
    Wait... What?

What the hell is city damage?!
    Homebrew Stuff:

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ettin in the Playground

The damage that is inflicted by a city whacking you when it is animated by a level 9 spell.
    The spell that do that is a spell in cityscape if you like city damage inflicted by animated cities coming from a manual about cities.
    Last edited by noob; 2017-04-12 at 04:19 PM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The damage that is inflicted by a city whacking you when it is animated by a level 9 spell.
    Well... It'd be pretty cool to have a sword made of animated cities!
    Homebrew Stuff:

29. - Top - End - #149

Kobold

Wait... What?

What the hell is city damage?!

There's some d20 stuff that involves damage between things like Starships and normal players, with a damage conversion modifier.

In any event, there's almost no such thing as a resistance to force based damage in system. Generally, force based weapons tend to be either ridiculously expensive or have lower damage to compensate because almost nothing pings off of force.... except for the Tarresque. It also effects ghosts and other incorporeals... which no other energy type does.

Sonic is the the same way except for in systems where psionics is common place so it's generally between force and normal elemental damage in terms of rarity.
    Last edited by Almarck; 2017-04-12 at 04:22 PM.

Current Projects:

Extended Signature

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

There's some d20 stuff that involves damage between things like Starships and normal players, with a damage conversion modifier.
    Wait... Is "starship damage" a thing? Is it considered a different type of damage?

In any event, there's almost no such thing as a resistance to force based damage in system. Generally, force based weapons tend to be either ridiculously expensive or have lower damage to compensate because almost nothing pings off of force.... except for the Tarresque. It also effects ghosts and other incorporeals... which no other energy type does.

Sonic is the the same way except for in systems where psionics is common place so it's generally between force and normal elemental damage in terms of rarity.
    Yeah, which is why I'd not allow "force" to be considered "elemental damage". Sonic is a bit too good too, but at least it's associated with one of the four classical elements (air). Force, OTOH, is just... Force. Not an element. And when it comes to resisting it, I can only think of a few special cases, like the shield spell blocking magic missile.

I'd say elemental damage is restricted to acid, cold, electricity, fire and sonic... And even then, sonic is pushing it.

Still... I'm not sure I should forbid bizarre damage types... Like I said, just because something can be made using these rules, doesn't mean the GM has to allow them. At no point I say players should have access to all possibilities. I want to create options. Not restrictions or requirements.
    Homebrew Stuff: