New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Missing "The Future"

This post from another thread has inspired a thought:

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Personally I'd find it better of it was a scientist with a dataslate and a soldier with a ray gun facing off against a giant alien creature, bit that's just personal taste.

Fun fact: All Lost in Space and Star Trek episodes (the main shows I watched along with Batman as a kid) were first broadcast before the Moon Landing.

Even though I was alive during the Lunar missions, my parents didn't get a TV until thr Watergate hearings so I never got to watch any of it. When I would get up early to watch the Shuttle launches and landings, my Dad would ask me "What's the big deal, it just looks like an airplane?" He just couldn't see the magic in it.

As a child I was very interested in Science Fiction and Space Travel (I had more future then!).

By the late 1970's and afterwards in California new books seldom were purchased for school libraries, but they were lots of books from the '60's and early '70's which I devoured, that detailing the moon landings, the Viking mission (how I starred at pictures of red rocks under a pink sky!), and NASA's plans for the space shuttle and lunar bases, and in reading the old books I realized something. The future was behind schedule!

The space shuttle did eventually fly (later than planned), but the lunar bases? Never. Going to Mars was "twenty years from now" when I was a child, and forty years on, it's still "twenty years from now".

There was "Star Trek", (23rd Century!) and "Lost in Space" (1999!) on television, and it was easy to be excited by a "bright future". I wanted to be an astronaut when I grew up!
    But increasingly in the 1970's and definitely in the '80's the "future" became bleak (Cyberpunk etc.).

Perhaps because I personally have less future left, but I read Fantasy now, and I seldom read Science Fiction anymore, and increasingly on the "sci-fi" shelves, there's "alternate history", and stories that take place in "visions of the future" from the past (Steampunk, Dieselpunk, and Raygun Gothic), rather than stories that take place in "the future".

I miss "the future".

Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Missing "The Future"

I agree with your sentiment. I miss that bright, epic future too. But unfortunately, the future is not behind schedule. It's right on, we live in it. It's just that we're in the wrong genre. Somewhere along the way we took a wrong turn, and instead of space opera we ended up in cyberpunk.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

We're working up to different parts of it. Communicator badges (hands-free cell phones), replicators (3-D printers), and voice interfaces (Alexa) are here on schedule. Scotty was a few years late with his Transparent Aluminum (aluminum oxynitride) delivery; I assume Romulans were responsible for the delay.

Part of the difference, I think, is where the discoveries are being made. Back in the 60s, all of the funding (and with it, all of the discoveries) was in aerospace, physics, and applied physics. That's flipped over to biochemistry and medicine. Very important, but not quite so easy to dramatize the explorers and discoveries. (If you ever end up with an attractive green woman anywhere, something has gone horribly wrong and your research will soon be shut down by the police). When we figure out how to give Bones that pill that will re-grow someone's kidney, we'll be able to move on to the next thing.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

MonkGuy

Don't forget video-phones and (finally) wrist-communicators. Back in the 80s when I was a kid, those seemed to be the defining technology of The Future.

Plus, we are living in the 21st Century now. Which, back in the 80s, seemed to be the definition of when The Future began.

5. - Top - End - #5

Well, things have slowed down a bit. Before the 80's the future did look very bright and soon to be coming. The USA did start a space program and land on the moon in something like under 20 years....and remember that is starting a space program from scratch...literally nothing.

Of course 1980 or so came around and there was a huge shift in where some people wanted the money in the government to go. In stead of space, or the future in general....they just wanted to ''help people''....and we are still doing that today. But the era of the some peoples ideas is quickly coming to a close.

And in the last couple years, the Private Sector has moved up to make more of a future....so there is hope.

The Star Trek idea of a ''Bright Future'' is alive and well....really this idea is a fixture in our culture. Of course Star Trek is a lot of Fantasy too. Though you can check out The Expanse for a ''Bright(maybe) Future that is much more based on reality.

And we do have communications and ''smart'' devices...and sure people whine about what the kids do with Facebook or Twitter....but there is still a lot of good there. I can remotely control things in my house...from anywhere in the country...on my phone. I can track my daughter and watch her on cameras in my home...and when she drives in a couple years I'll be able to track her car (and already do this with my wife). Should someone in my family get in an accident or such...we will all get an alert. And that is just one example....

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

I want my flying car and my plasma swords. Seriously, i want to be in Space Opera, not Shadowrun without the friggin magic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I just think some things turned out to be harder then we imagined. Like batteries, which have been famously stagnant for decades. Human carrying space travel was another, we scrapped the shuttle because it proved more expensive then originally forseen.

People are bad at predicting the future in genetal, and technology in particular.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Thought, I might post in this thread, seeing as I unintentionally kicked it off.

In my view there is still this grand hopeful future, but it's less hopeful. The future is now as corrupted as the present, technology does not stop humans from being humans, and so on. Even when it's grand there's this grit attached to it. We're living in a light cyberpunk future, and so our view of our future is by necessity a little cyberpunk. But we don't have to stay to the depressing future of cyberpunk classic, we can imagine a future where technology allows us to understand others better and connect to other people.

And honestly? The classic look isn't totally gone. There's a lot to be said for the new look of space, although I'll admit I both have some favourites and an rather biased (one of my favourite starships is the Lady MacBeth from Night's Dawn ). There's still a place for the gleaming rocketships that took our imaginations to the stars decades ago, I'd rage at a version of Lensman or Foundation without rocket ships, but they fit as a signaling that we're going back to the hopeful future.

Note the description quoted was meant to bring to mind something between Star Trek and Starship Troopers, although I'm also hoping for more futures like the Night's Dawn trilogy. To the point I'm planning to at some punt write a space opera in a universe where religion has had a massive resurgence and is important to many people's lives, because religion in space is IMO a very unexplored concept (as most SF is of the 'outgrown such supply superstitions' variety, or religion at at best unimportant to the story).

EDIT: also, it turns out that getting to orbit is hard, and one of the reasons that space bases aren't going to a thing until we can get better at space stuff. I'm honestly uncertain who will win the fight of rockets versus space planes, although I'm hoping it's the space planes.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2018-01-03 at 07:43 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

We're in the universe specializing in computers instead. I assume there's alternate universe where instead of inventing integrated chip, they got mini fusion reactor instead, so they got fusion powered cars but they have to make do with giant room sized computer with vacuum tubes and no internet.

(I'm talking about fallout universe)
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

EDIT: also, it turns out that getting to orbit is hard, and one of the reasons that space bases aren't going to a thing until we can get better at space stuff. I'm honestly uncertain who will win the fight of rockets versus space planes, although I'm hoping it's the space planes.
    It's not only that getting to orbit is hard, it's that there's basically nothing in there. There's no smart aliens or vaults of ancient exotic tech or luxurious alien forests, just cold void and some rocks.

Plus you know, advancements in robotics means it's a lot more pratical to send unmanned probes rather than puny fleshbags that need to eat and breathe and thus take a lot more space and you need to figure out how to bring them back safely too. Or send a bot that can work for years with no need of extra supplies if you do it right and nobody will mind that much when they stop working out there.

And I for one I'm kinda happy people aren't colonizing other planets yet because maybe this way we figure out how to not screw up our own planet first. You should be terrified of the day rich people get to emigrate to space and stop having any reason to not completely exploit earth's resources for fast(er) profit.

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    We're in the universe specializing in computers instead. I assume there's alternate universe where instead of inventing integrated chip, they got mini fusion reactor instead, so they got fusion powered cars but they have to make do with giant room sized computer with vacuum tubes and no internet.

(I'm talking about fallout universe)
    Heh, Megaman Battle Network is a parallel universe to the main Megaman series where people develop smart computer programs that fit in small devices rather than starting mass production of robots.
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2018-01-04 at 03:24 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    I agree with your sentiment. I miss that bright, epic future too. But unfortunately, the future is not behind schedule. It's right on, we live in it. It's just that we're in the wrong genre. Somewhere along the way we took a wrong turn, and instead of space opera we ended up in cyberpunk.
    I don't remember cyberpunk being about playing games on a good looking tiny handbrain imported from China to waste time while on your boring job, or about living in cities with dropping crime rates and driving ever larger yet somehow not really more functional (but much safer) vehicles with about the same emissions as the previous smaller generation. Drone racing, robot battles and laser surgery, sure, but those usually involved some crime syndicate killing people over it.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    We're working up to different parts of it. Communicator badges (hands-free cell phones), replicators (3-D printers), and voice interfaces (Alexa) are here on schedule. Scotty was a few years late with his Transparent Aluminum (aluminum oxynitride) delivery; I assume Romulans were responsible for the delay.

Part of the difference, I think, is where the discoveries are being made. Back in the 60s, all of the funding (and with it, all of the discoveries) was in aerospace, physics, and applied physics. That's flipped over to biochemistry and medicine. Very important, but not quite so easy to dramatize the explorers and discoveries. (If you ever end up with an attractive green woman anywhere, something has gone horribly wrong and your research will soon be shut down by the police). When we figure out how to give Bones that pill that will re-grow someone's kidney, we'll be able to move on to the next thing.
    Well, I mean, not in a pill, but we are 3D-printing organs now. Kidneys will be high up on the list, we need those all the time.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    I want my flying car and my plasma swords. Seriously, i want to be in Space Opera, not Shadowrun without the friggin magic.
    One of my favourite quotes I found online once:
    "We have flying cars. We call them helicopters."

Also, plasma swords aren't really useful for much, it seems, but we have plasma knives for surgery.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    I don't remember cyberpunk being about playing games on a good looking tiny handbrain imported from China to waste time while on your boring job, or about living in cities with dropping crime rates and driving ever larger yet somehow not really more functional (but much safer) vehicles with about the same emissions as the previous smaller generation. Drone racing, robot battles and laser surgery, sure, but those usually involved some crime syndicate killing people over it.
    William Gibson, who invented the genre, once explained that the Sprawl may be a dystopian vision for today's middle class, but that there's a lot of people today who'd go there in a heartbeat.

There's some newer Cyberpunk which explores that a bit more. The idea that with automation, resources become cheap, but so do people. Most people get the absolute basic resources (heating, housing, food, cheap entertainment), but nothing else, because they will never have a job, since they aren't needed for anything. So they'll basically sit around, rotting away on their couches. Some might turn to art, some might turn to politics or violent crime, but most just never will achieve anything.

It's quite bleak, and yet... at least people get fed.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Firbolg in the Playground

The capability and availability of computers nowadays is really amazing and beyond imagination of a lot of sci-fi writers back then. I mean, in Lensman universe IIRC they got faster-than-light spaceship and weapons capable of destroying stars, but people in that spaceship still use slide rulers for calculation!
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    William Gibson, who invented the genre, once explained that the Sprawl may be a dystopian vision for today's middle class, but that there's a lot of people today who'd go there in a heartbeat.

There's some newer Cyberpunk which explores that a bit more. The idea that with automation, resources become cheap, but so do people. Most people get the absolute basic resources (heating, housing, food, cheap entertainment), but nothing else, because they will never have a job, since they aren't needed for anything. So they'll basically sit around, rotting away on their couches. Some might turn to art, some might turn to politics or violent crime, but most just never will achieve anything.

It's quite bleak, and yet... at least people get fed.
    Rome functioned as a society for centuries on the basis of giving away food wine and entertainment. People complained, but didn’t do much about it.

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2018-01-04 at 05:23 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    It's not only that getting to orbit is hard, it's that there's basically nothing in there. There's no smart aliens or vaults of ancient exotic tech or luxurious alien forests, just cold void and some rocks.

Plus you know, advancements in robotics means it's a lot more pratical to send unmanned probes rather than puny fleshbags that need to eat and breathe and thus take a lot more space and you need to figure out how to bring them back safely too. Or send a bot that can work for years with no need of extra supplies if you do it right and nobody will mind that much when they stop working out there.

And I for one I'm kinda happy people aren't colonizing other planets yet because maybe this way we figure out how to not screw up our own planet first. You should be terrified of the day rich people get to emigrate to space and stop having any reason to not completely exploit earth's resources for fast(er) profit.
    Oh, I completely agree with you. I find what we're doing with robotics REALLY COOL, to the point where I wouldn't mind using my degree to go into robotics (if it was actually good enough). I think that drone exploration is really cool and want more stories to use it as an element.

My point was that, well, getting to orbit is the first step to getting to anywhere. And there's not enough of a reason to justify sending humans into orbit even to get them somewhere else, because of both the cost of getting people into orbit and the fact that you could just send a bot somewhere else. I completely agree with you, but we really need to admit that a lot of classic science fiction ignores the gravity well issue entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    The difference is that we're not the protagonists of the cyberpunk novel (also that we're currently in the story itself, but in the backstory). Also do you seriously think that the corporate wageslaves weren't playing on their handbrains when they were meant to be working?

Also, cyberpunk has moved on. New/post-cyperpunk is a lot more positive and less overly crime focused than classic cyberpunk, while still being relatively dystopian.

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    The capability and availability of computers nowadays is really amazing and beyond imagination of a lot of sci-fi writers back then. I mean, in Lensman universe IIRC they got faster-than-light spaceship and weapons capable of destroying stars, but people in that spaceship still use slide rulers for calculation!
    I remember reading Galactic Patrol and being confused at the fact they needed to rig up a mechanical autopilot to make the ship move in pseudorandom directions until I realised the ship wasn't controlled by a central computer connected to each character's screen but a bunch of seperate/semi-seperate electrical and mechanical systems, including computers that would be considered dumb by today's standards. Didn't a later book reveal that Lensman computer technology had been artificially retarded, because it developed to the point where Doc Smith could easily see that the technology in his books was already hilariously primitive?

Still funny reading the Skylark books where the incredibly technologically developed people have FTL sensors and precise control over beams of force, but it's all controlled with switches and dials without a text or speech parser in sight.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Can the average family afford to buy and maintain an helicopter?

Does the average building has landing space for a single helicopter? How about enough landing space for an helicopter for each family living in the building?

19. - Top - End - #19

Of course not. But it's a flying personal transport machine. It's what we have. As with a lot of things from fiction, it just doesn't get close to the convenience imagined.

Maybe after self-driving cars we'll get self-flying passenger drones at some point.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2018-01-04 at 09:50 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

By that standard, we already had hot air balloons as "flying personal transport machine" long before helicopters.

Turns out that convenience actually makes all the difference. Cars have long been affordable and can easily move you inside urban areas. Helicopters... Do not.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    By that standard, we already had hot air balloons as "flying personal transport machine" long before helicopters.

Turns out that convenience actually makes all the difference. Cars have long been affordable and can easily move you inside urban areas. Helicopters... Do not.
    People have enough problems driving in 2D. I'm pretty sure we're not going ever allow the population full 3D "driving" unless its fully automated.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, we're not going to get common flying cars except as a driverless variety if we're insisting on them, and even then probably not until we can come up with a more efficient propulsion system (although helicopters do allow us to make them today, I still suspect the cost of fueling them is too high for most people).

As Eldran has said, the main problem is that the fictional version is more convenient. In all honesty, we still don't have the rockets the writers of those moon bases were expecting, even though we have the technology to build a moonbase (although we might need to refresh our rocket technology) the cost of getting anybody to it is high enough that they're unlikely unless a government finds a desire for one (which, in all honesty, I don't see happening until He-3 Deuterium fusion has been shown to be viable). Sure, maybe we'd have better people rockets if we'd been preparing for a trip to Mars since the moon landing, although honestly for that the rocket is the least of your problems (we could get a human there now if we desperately wanted, but we likely couldn't get them back, need to send their food with them, and have to deal with the damage radiation causes to squishy humans. The Red Mars books are a long way off, it's just not worth sending the human compared to the bot).
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

we're not the protagonists of the cyberpunk novel (also that we're currently in the story itself, but in the backstory). Also do you seriously think that the corporate wageslaves weren't playing on their handbrains when they were meant to be working?

Also, cyberpunk has moved on. New/post-cyperpunk is a lot more positive and less overly crime focused than classic cyberpunk, while still being relatively dystopian.
    I am wondering how much "classic" cyberpunk is just Neuromancer and its successors. These are basically heist novels. The wider genre was never that limited.

Also, while I can see people making the argument for multis owning the world (is it that much different from the 80's?), cyberpunk has that "cyber" and "punk" aspects to it and I'm not sure those aspects are strong even if you are looking at the criminal or system-antagonistic element

I remember reading Galactic Patrol and being confused at the fact they needed to rig up a mechanical autopilot to make the ship move in pseudorandom directions until I realised the ship wasn't controlled by a central computer connected to each character's screen but a bunch of seperate/semi-seperate electrical and mechanical systems, including computers that would be considered dumb by today's standards. Didn't a later book reveal that Lensman computer technology had been artificially retarded, because it developed to the point where Doc Smith could easily see that the technology in his books was already hilariously primitive?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post

That's the thing about the science-fiction. Often they take place far, far, in the future, but the baseline technology advancement is only 15-20 years ahead of our own. Often times they even miss near-future developments and we find technology nowadays that even relatively recent sci-fi missed: Star Trek TNG they couldn't grow organs, gene therapy is considered "eugenics" (but is oddly unnecessary since everyone is naturally perfect), and the computer tech actually looks primitive. Don't even get me started about older sci-fi like TOS.

I will say I always find it telling that one of Asimov's first robots could read minds and played psychological games with the entire robotics human staff, including an actual "robo-psychologist," and they figured out the robot was reading their minds because they discovered it could math involving long numbers, something only one of the advanced engineers could do.

Asimov thought of robots as analogous to humans, so much so they were figured out by their own psychologists and that the basic models would be bad at math since they would only be programmed with an elementry school education.

I think one of the reasons everything is "visions of the future" rather than "the future" is because, in 2017, we've seen the future envisioned so many times that we probably realize our own vision is probably pretty darn flawed.

Quote Originally Posted by Chen View Post
    People have enough problems driving in 2D. I'm pretty sure we're not going ever allow the population full 3D "driving" unless its fully automated.
    Actually, crowding is actually a real problem up there. Regulations keeping planes in narrow airlanes don't help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    I will say I always find it telling that one of Asimov's first robots could read minds and played psychological games with the entire robotics human staff, including an actual "robo-psychologist," and they figured out the robot was reading their minds because they discovered it could math involving long numbers, something only one of the advanced engineers could do.
    You may want to read "Liar!" again, because that isn't what actually happened. The problem was that the robot was trying to obey the second law (Don't harm humans) by detecting in their thoughts what they really wanted, despite what they may say out loud. So when two scientists were trying to figure out a very hard math problem (the exact pathways that allowed the robot to read minds in the first place), the robot told one of them he knew the answer (because that guy just wanted the answer), but told the other he didn't (because the second one's pride in wanting to figure it out himself got in the way). It was that and other contradictions when the humans compared notes that lead Calvin to realise what the issue is. But no-one was surprised that a robot could do the math (except the guy that didn't want to believe it).

Yes, some of the robots that the company produces aren't great at math (because they are designed for purpose, and you don't need a mining robot to be able to do high-level maths), but no-one is particularly surprised that positronic brains can do math better than humans, because they already do: the central computer for the company is a massive positronic brain, as seen in "Escape!".

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Yes, some of the robots that the company produces aren't great at math (because they are designed for purpose, and you don't need a mining robot to be able to do high-level maths), but no-one is particularly surprised that positronic brains can do math better than humans, because they already do: the central computer for the company is a massive positronic brain, as seen in "Escape!".

Grey Wolf
    "I, Robot" is a lightly edited anthology and Escape! was written 4 years later. "Liar!" was originally published in 1941 making it his third story ever. It doesn't make sense to treat the characters (although they are reappearing) as having knowledge form a later story Asimov produced, especially since I'm analyzing what Asimov's vision was about the robots, not the characters.

Escape! was written in 1945 and major advances with computers came between those dates.

My recollection is that the Robot knew how to do the math because he read it from the guy's mind, however even if I'm wrong the point of the story remains that the story notes that some robots can't do math (but one of the less advanced ones was able to read people's minds). I suspect the "I, Robot" version of the story may have been edited to de-emphasize the assumption that robots can't do math, I remember the first time I read the story that it did read like the robot did math with similar limitations to a human. Other pre-digital computer robots show similar mental limitation in realms a machine would now be assumed to excel. Robots didn't become emotionless logic-machines until later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Also, plasma swords aren't really useful for much, it seems, but we have plasma knives for surgery.
    Neither is that Khopesh i own, i still like having it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    I miss "the future".

The Future can only arrive if society has the right ideas and the right desire.

The motion of technology depends on the discovery of new fundamental ideas. We're producing new ideas for gizmos right now, but how many fundamental (principled) ideas are being produced? Where are our Gausses, our Leibnizes, our Einsteins? Quantum Theory has been unsolved for better part of a century—why? Could this be due to the fact people are educated differently now than they were a hundred years ago?

But the desire is also missing. To get into Space we need a Space Mission orientation. Now cultural pessimism has taken hold and sucked people into their fantasy universes and their rat-like lives. The Simpsons episode hit a clear note where there was a sci-fi convention and there was an actual astronaut in his booth ready to talk and sign autographs. The weirdos with silver hair and gogo boots ignored him. One character who saw the truth declaimed, “Don't you people care? This guy has actually been to outer space!” I remember a girl in high school who openly didn't care about the Moon Shot. “Who cares?” she said.

That cultural pessimism, not scientific ignorance—as if shoving facts into kid's minds will make them care about science and Space exporation—is why we don't have the Future. The question is, who wanted it that way?

And Happy New Year!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Donnadogsoth View Post
    The Future can only arrive if society has the right ideas and the right desire.

The motion of technology depends on the discovery of new fundamental ideas. We're producing new ideas for gizmos right now, but how many fundamental (principled) ideas are being produced?
    Ahhh...I sure missed this. Donnadogsoth throwing around vacuous terms. What is a fundamental (principled) idea? Narrow it down to the size of a post it note if you could and maybe we could point some out to you.

I mean. I think it's a pretty awesome idea that we can print organs. That's not something we'd have thought 50 years ago. 3D printing? Going to change the face of...well so many things when the tech is up and running. Does that count? Probably not...not for you...at any rate.

Where are our Gausses, our Leibnizes, our Einsteins? Quantum Theory has been unsolved for better part of a century—why? Could this be due to the fact people are educated differently now than they were a hundred years ago?
    In their respective fields, I'd imagine.

But the desire is also missing.
    I'd ask if you were serious but I've been on your ride before. The desire is there.

To get into Space we need a Space Mission orientation.
    The fact that the International Space Station is a thing. SpaceX is a thing...the fact that we're getting reusable rockets in a sector outside of any nation...the orientation is there.

Now cultural pessimism has taken hold and sucked people into their fantasy universes and their rat-like lives. The Simpsons episode hit a clear note where there was a sci-fi convention and there was an actual astronaut in his booth ready to talk and sign autographs. The weirdos with silver hair and gogo boots ignored him. One character who saw the truth declaimed, “Don't you people care? This guy has actually been to outer space!” I remember a girl in high school who openly didn't care about the Moon Shot. “Who cares?” she said.
    I was wondering how long it'd take for you to start whinging on about how our culture is degraded. No mention of porn or Chomsky though so I can't get a Donnadogsoth Bingo for this thread. So close. So close.

That cultural pessimism, not scientific ignorance—as if shoving facts into kid's minds will make them care about science and Space exporation—is why we don't have the Future. The question is, who wanted it that way?
    WAIT! WAIT!!!! HOLD ON!!!

Vague hints at some sinister conspiracy? That's a bingo!
    Last edited by Razade; 2018-01-04 at 06:37 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    ...I mean. I think it's a pretty awesome idea that we can print organs...
    That is pretty awesome (I didn't know that before this thread) !

We don't have lunar landings or supersonic trans-atlantic passenger jets anymore, but damn actual replicators!

My moods a little better.
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    That is pretty awesome (I didn't know that before this thread) !

We don't have lunar landings or supersonic trans-atlantic passenger jets anymore, but damn actual replicators!

My moods a little better.
    We don't really need lunar landings? We've been to the moon. There's really nothing there that makes it worth the expense. The moon doesn't have resources we don't have here. What's the point in going there? We've moved on to bigger and better things, and cheaper too. Robots cost less.

Supersonic jets are still a thing. Called XB-1. Due to fly this year.

Printing organs isn't like a replicator. You need material to print, not just...magic...and not instant. So nothing really like a replicator at all.