New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Samurai vs Soulknife: The Ultimate Showdown

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    I'd make it more varied. Use groups of enemies, quest goals, etc. It can include stuff like acquiring a McGuffin from a cave, defending a town against an incoming goblin horde, assassinating the assassins' guild leader in Waterdeep, winning a gladiator match. This way, characters can bring all their tactical and strategic tools to bear. Like, acquiring an item held by a young black dragon in a swamp cave is immediately a more useful gauge than "Soulknife vs. Black Dragon, final destination" and brings out the ways in which the classes can act strategically (granted, not many with these classes) and allows them to act both, as the active and the passive party in a campaign scenario. Just make an appropriate one up for each level range and go from there.
    We could use the SRD's randomly generated dungeons, would that work?
    The False Balance Fallacy

The tendency to interpret the rules, not based on any validity with RAW or logic, but that which makes the game (in their eyes) more balanced.
    This tendency is often fueled by the incorrect belief that the game is balanced or the desire for it to be.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Calthropstu View Post
    Soulknife has access to psionic feats, which the samurai needs to take an extra feat to be able to do. And psionic feats can make the difference here with a good amount of extra damage potential.
    With the soulknife able to imbue his weapon with decent stuff for free, it's a fair bit of equipment money he can spend on other things. The samurai has nothing to compare. Add in his psychic strike, as well as boosts from expending his focus and we're looking at some serious first strike power.
    So the soulknife kinda wins equipment wise and damage wise. But the soulknife doesn't really get anything else. The Samurai has the fear effect but little else. Is the fear effect enough to counterbalance the massive gold advantage the soulknife gets due to not needing to buy a weapon? I think not. Fear immunity is relatively simple to obtain, and the soulknife, at lvl 20, is swinging around a +9 equivalent weapon.
    The samurai will be hard pressed to match.
    As others have already noted: In a head to head encounter, even using fear effects isn't going to be all that useful of a tactic for a samurai, since Autohypnosis is a class skill for the SK, and one of its abilities allows for a fairly nice defense against fear effects. Iirc, Intimidate is a bit easier to boost, but I don't think it's enough to do more than break slightly in the samurai's favor, even before we get into other options for negating it. Using a same-encounter test, it will quickly find its usefulness degrading due to the wide spread fear immunity you see later in the game. Even mediocre baked-in bonus damage and native access to psionic feats gives the soulknife a significantly larger toolkit that the samurai can bring to bear.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Thoughts:

i) At least one multi-opponent encounter should be included at each breakpoint.

ii) Should the same dungeon test be solo combat or as filling a party role? I could see running a full low-power party consisting of Aristocrat, Expert, Adept + You, the Samurai/Soulknife.

iii) Limited spell casting opponents are probably OK if half-casters or multi-classed.

iii) A 1v1 gladiatorial fight at each break point in addition to the same-game test would likely be entertaining.
    Last edited by Psionic Dog; 2017-07-17 at 04:56 PM.

My Homebrew.

Master Ref Of the Arena Tournament!
    Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Arena Combatants: | Dense | Mad Al | Twang | De'Athbypro Xie

4. - Top - End - #34

Quote Originally Posted by Psionic Dog View Post
    ii) Should the same dungeon test be solo combat or as filling a party role? I could see running a full low-power party consisting of Aristocrat, Expert, Adept + You, the Samurai/Soulknife.
    I would do a solo run.

Speaking of.

Spoiler: Sample Dungeon.
    Show
    The Halls of Mery the Eldritch

Level 1

General Information:

Dungeon Walls. Natural Stone (Climb DC 15)
    Dungeon Floor. Flagstone
    Temperature. Cool
    Illumination. Dark (individual creatures may carry lights)

Corridors:

a. Patches of mushrooms grow here
    c. Pit Trap: CR 2; mechanical; location trigger; manual reset; DC 20 Reflex save avoids; 40 ft. deep (4d6, fall); Search DC 20; Disable Device DC 20

Wandering Monsters:

1. 5 x 1st Level Warrior Goblin, scouting from another part of the dungeon
    2. 1 x Homunculus, scouting from another part of the dungeon
    3. 1 x Homunculus, bloodied and fleeing a more powerful enemy
    4. 1 x Troglodyte Zombie, searching for an object stolen from their lair
    5. 13 x Tiny Monstrous Centipede (vermin), bloodied and fleeing a more powerful enemy
    6. 1 x Darkmantle, wandering senselessly

Room #1

West Entry #1. Stuck Simple Wooden Door (break DC 13; hard 5, 10 hp)
    → Leads to room #3

West Entry #2. Stuck Good Wooden Door (break DC 18; hard 5, 15 hp)

West Entry #3. Locked Iron Door (Open Lock DC 40, break DC 28; hard 10, 60 hp)

Room Features. Someone has scrawled "It's a trap" in dwarvish runes on the west wall, The floor is covered with shards of bone

Monster. 1 x 1st Level Warrior Duergar (dwarf)
    1st level warrior duergar: CR 1; Medium humanoid (dwarf); HD 1d8+5; hp 9; Init +0; Spd 20 ft. in chainmail (4 squares); base speed 20 ft.; AC 17 (+5 chainmail, +2 heavy shield), touch 10, flat-footed 17; Base Atk +1; Grp +2; Atk +2 melee (1d8+1/x3, warhammer) or +1 ranged (1d8/19-20, light crossbow); Full Atk +2 melee (1d8+1/x3, warhammer) or +1 ranged (1d8/19-20, light crossbow); Space/Reach 5 ft./5 ft.; SA Duergar traits, spell-like abilities; SQ Darkvision 60 ft., duergar traits; AL LE; SV Fort +4*, Ref +0*, Will -1*; Str 13, Dex 11, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 9, Cha 4
    Skills and Feats: Appraise +2, Craft (blacksmithing) +2, Craft (stonemasonry) +2, Listen +3, Move Silently -4, Spot +2; Toughness
    Treasure: 20 gp; hoard total 20 gp

Room #2

North Entry. Secret (Search DC 20) Stuck Simple Wooden Door (break DC 13; hard 5, 10 hp) (slides up, +2 to break DC)
    Ⓢ The door is concealed within the mouth of a gargantuan skull carved from stone

Room #3

West Entry. Wooden Portcullis (lift DC 25, break DC 28; hard 5, 30 hp)

East Entry. Stuck Simple Wooden Door (break DC 13; hard 5, 10 hp)
    → Leads to room #1, inhabited by 1 x 1st Level Warrior Duergar

Room Features. Several alcoves are cut into the south wall, A set of demonic war masks hangs on the west wall

Room #4

East Entry. Secret (Search DC 25) Unlocked Strong Wooden Door (hard 5, 20 hp)
    Ⓢ The door is concealed behind a statue of an ancient lich, and opened by pressing runes on his staff

South Entry #1. Archway

South Entry #2. Stuck Strong Wooden Door (break DC 23; hard 5, 20 hp)

Room Features. Part of the north wall has collapsed into the room, A pile of spoiled meat lies in the north side of the room
    Last edited by Tainted_Scholar; 2017-07-17 at 05:34 PM.

The tendency to interpret the rules, not based on any validity with RAW or logic, but that which makes the game (in their eyes) more balanced.
    This tendency is often fueled by the incorrect belief that the game is balanced or the desire for it to be.

5. - Top - End - #35

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by noce View Post
    At level 14 and above the Samurai wins every fight in which he wins initiative, and every fight in which he loses initiative but survives the first round, provided that the Soulknife is not immune to fear.

1. Take Imperious Command.
    2. Every point of WBL goes to raising Intimidate and Initiative.
    3. You win.

So I propose to just declare Samurai stronger from level 14 onwards.
    Autohypnosis is usable against fear saves, which is one reason that my DM banned it (the skill) in the 3.5 game where I was running a soulknife (there were a number of outright bans in that game, including full caster classes, all manifesters, and more, so it's not like this one skill was singled out with nothing else being banned).

So if you're going to use intimidate to try and force fear effects, the soulknife can use autohypnosis to resist. Not that they have terrible will saves (and, in fact, the one I built in the same game I mentioned had a magnificently high will save because of the two soul knife only prestige classes and wisdom focus of the build stacking on top of the soul knife's baseline good will save).

Anyway, for encounters you should not shy away from casters. It's rather unfair to the class to say 'oh, well, this is a full caster, it obviously wins instantly because x, y, z' without actually testing it. Saving throws happen, monsters tend not to be TO cheese, and both of these classes have beefy hit dice with which to weather their way into having a round 1 of actions, in which the dynamic of the fight can change significantly.

Don't forget that soulknife also has native access to stealth skills and light enough armor for that to be a viable option, and enough skill points to actually invest in said skills and still do anything else at all with skills. CW samurai also has 4+int skills, I'm just trying to point out that skills actually do matter other than just UMD to cheese things with wands of fireball or the like. Depending on the combat area, climb, swim, tumble, and so on can all find a use, even if it's something as suicidal as grappling a monster into the water to drown it while keeping your head up. If you go into this assuming that the class's only options are the ones that are immediately apparent from attack bonus and potential weapon damage output, you lose sight of one of the important aspects to DND: Problem Solving.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

One question. Would you count manifesting a blade the same as a "drawing" action?

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hackulator View Post
    Yeah no, definitely not.

What books have ACFs for Samurai or Soulknife?
    Dragon Magic has the Dragonscale Husk, Races of Eberron has Kalashtar racial sub levels for Soulknife (not applicable assuming we're sticking to core races), but more important are the articles.

Soulknife has this one with two ACFs I'd take in a heartbeat.

As the samurai there's this article, particularly Skilled City-Dweller.

I would really like to expand races out, but I understand if we want to keep things in base races

As an aside, Autohypnosis specifies that it is for fear effects with saves, which Intimidate does not have.
    CW Samurai has 2+Int skills. It's OA Samurai that has 4+Int skills, and they have things to spend it on.
    Last edited by The Viscount; 2017-07-17 at 08:10 PM.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

1+2- No UMD, no custom magic items, this is to test the class features, not test how good people are at abusing UMD
    How are you ruling what's a custom item? When it comes.es to combining effects for a 1..5 cost modifier to be fair according to the rules and for sword of truestrike and +30 truename checks

9. - Top - End - #39
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Viscount View Post
    As an aside, Autohypnosis specifies that it is for fear effects with saves, which Intimidate does not have.
    Interestingly, it doesn't actually specify that; it says you make a save "normally" (which for Intimidate you wouldn't) but then has a completely different effect you can trigger if you're feared. At the very least, the wording is unclear.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I have the level 20 Soulknife ready for testing. I avoided all TO. https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1276961

11. - Top - End - #41

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by flappeercraft View Post
    I have the level 20 Soulknife ready for testing. I avoided all TO. https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1276961
    Uh, cool!

Is there anyone who wants to take the side of the Samurai in this fight? I'll be honest my system mastery has definitely degraded to the point where I am not the person to make the sheet for 20th level.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

One thing, how will we do the fight? PbP, Skype or Roll20? Or do we decide that later?

13. - Top - End - #43

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lans View Post
    How are you ruling what's a custom item? When it comes.es to combining effects for a 1..5 cost modifier to be fair according to the rules and for sword of truestrike and +30 truename checks
    A custom item is an item that isn't already described in a book. Using the rules for creating custom magic items like you are describing is pretty game breaking and could easily turn this into a competition of who can come up with the best custom magic item combo.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Uh, cool!

Is there anyone who wants to take the side of the Samurai in this fight? I'll be honest my system mastery has definitely degraded to the point where I am not the person to make the sheet for 20th level.
    I've always wanted to mess around with a Samurai, I wouldn't mind building one. I doubt I could run it that well, but I can try.

What sort of bans are we looking at here?

15. - Top - End - #45

One thing, how will we do the fight? PbP, Skype or Roll20? Or do we decide that later?
    We should probably wait to decide until we have a Samurai build.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tainted_Scholar View Post
    We should probably wait to decide until we have a Samurai build.
    Fair enough, we do need to have the samurai tester to be able to do that to begin with
    Last edited by flappeercraft; 2017-07-19 at 06:00 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Fair enough, we do need to have the samurai tester to be able to do that to begin with
    I can do that, I just need to know what material is banned.

18. - Top - End - #48

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ColorBlindNinja View Post
    I've always wanted to mess around with a Samurai, I wouldn't mind building one. I doubt I could run it that well, but I can try.

What sort of bans are we looking at here?
    CW Samurai

No multiclassing

No 3rd party

No custom magic items (other than weapons/armor as those are almost all custom)

No silly combos that would work as well on a commoner as on the Samurai (ie candle of solar chain gating BS)

Basically, the idea is to actually test the two classes against each other, not test your ability to cleverly abuse mechanics outside those classes. Just try to stay true to that idea and I'm sure you'll be fine. If you have any questions post them here and people can weigh in.

I feel like if we could all agree on a time, roll20 is best because it has a grid. However, PbP is a lot easier to pull off.

Also, should we do best of 3 with 3 different scenarios? I was thinking:

First fight - Standard large circular arena

Second fight - Series of floating 20' x 20' platforms. (this would really need roll20).

Tiebreaker - They fight in an elevator (5' x 10' room)

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Second fight - Series of floating 20' x 20' platforms. (this would really need roll20).

PvP?

Seriously?

That's a very poor test of PC capabilities.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ColorBlindNinja View Post
    I can do that, I just need to know what material is banned.
    Basically it is
    1. No multiclassing so level 20 Samurai
    2. Normal WBL and no more than 50% for a single item so 760,000 total and no more than 380,000 per item
    3. No custom magic items (No magic items that have not been printed anywhere)
    4. Not decided on Elite array or PB but I went with 32 PB since its the usual
    5. No Wish looping
    6. No UMD/UPD builds
    7. There has been no statement on sources so I just went with Dragon Mag and 1st party
    8. Go RAI, RAW where needed to use
    9. No DCFS

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

CW Samurai

No multiclassing

No 3rd party

No custom magic items (other than weapons/armor as those are almost all custom)

No silly combos that would work as well on a commoner as on the Samurai (ie candle of solar chain gating BS)

Basically, the idea is to actually test the two classes against each other, not test your ability to cleverly abuse mechanics outside those classes. Just try to stay true to that idea and I'm sure you'll be fine. If you have any questions post them here and people can weigh in.

I feel like if we could all agree on a time, roll20 is best because it has a grid. However, PbP is a lot easier to pull off.

OK, other than those restrictions, are all source books (including Dragon Magazine) allowed?

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    PvP?

Seriously?

That's a very poor test of PC capabilities.
    That's a pretty good point. It can be fun, I guess, but maybe we should run the Same Game Test?

Edit:

Basically it is
    1. No multiclassing so level 20 Samurai
    2. Normal WBL and no more than 50% for a single item so 760,000 total and no more than 380,000 per item
    3. No custom magic items (No magic items that have not been printed anywhere)
    4. Not decided on Elite array or PB but I went with 32 PB since its the usual
    5. No Wish looping
    6. No UMD/UPD builds
    7. There has been no statement on sources so I just went with Dragon Mag and 1st party
    8. Go RAI, RAW where needed to use
    9. No DCFS
    OK, I'll start building my Samurai.
    Last edited by ColorBlindNinja; 2017-07-19 at 06:11 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Yeah, Roll20 might be the best, although if scheduling is too hard to pull off maybe we could make it Roll20/PbP, you make a post detailing what you do then move on roll20 which would help visualize the stuff that happens.

First Fight: No Feedback

Second Fight: How would we get from place to place if we have no access to flying as mundanes or should we just use part of the WBL to get mobility to move from one to the other?

Tiebreaker: Wouldn't the problem with that be that mobility based builds if any are screwed with that?

23. - Top - End - #53

RogueGuy

I agree that in a LOT of situations pvp is a bad test, but here, since these classes are both basically melee brawlers with some additional abilities, it's not a bad test.

Same game might be good to do as well, but that's not really an "Ultimate Showdown" now is it?

Yeah, Roll20 might be the best, although if scheduling is too hard to pull off maybe we could make it Roll20/PbP, you make a post detailing what you do then move on roll20 which would help visualize the stuff that happens.

First Fight: No Feedback

Second Fight: How would we get from place to place if we have no access to flying as mundanes or should we just use part of the WBL to get mobility to move from one to the other?

Tiebreaker: Wouldn't the problem with that be that mobility based builds if any are screwed with that?
    The platforms would be close enough that they should be jumpable by reasonable characters.

Mobility would be a big advantage in both of the first two scenarios, making the third different was on purpose.
    Last edited by Hackulator; 2017-07-19 at 06:29 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Are we using the Magic Item Compendium rules for combining two items into one?

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

Darn, should have built the samurai when I declared intent.

Good luck, ColorBlindNinja.
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Darn, should have built the samurai when I declared intent.

Good luck, ColorBlindNinja.
    Thanks, I'll give it my best shot.

Edit:

Here's my build, I spend too much GP on misc. gear and realized too late my weapon/armor suck. Still very much a work in progress...

Spoiler: Sammy the Samurai
    Show

Level 20 Samurai

Dragonborn, Lesser Cansin

STR: 27 (+8)
    DEX: 18 (+4)
    CON: 22 (+6)
    INT: 16 (+3)
    WIS: 14 (+2)
    CHA: 34 (+12)

Initiative: +12

BAB: 20/15/10/5

Melee: 28/23/18/13

AC: 20

FORT: +23
    REF: +15
    WILL: +9 (+29 with Moment of the Perfect Mind)

Skills:
    Intimidate: +38 (23 Ranks)
    Concentration: +29 (23 Ranks)

Flaws:
    Fussy: -4 to poison on Fort Saves, can't drink potions or becomes naueseated
    Love of Nature: DC 12 Will save VS attacking Animals, Vermin, and Plants

Racial Abilities:
    Flight

Spoiler: Feats
    Show

Martial Stance: Moment of the Perfect Mind
    Power Attack
    Skill Focus: Intimidate
    Improved Bull Rush
    Imperious Command
    Improved Initative (Bonus Feat)
    Shock Trooper
    Shape Soulmeld (Crystal Helm) [+2 to WILL VS Charm/Complusion, when bound, all attack gain FORCE descriptor]
    Open Least Chakra (Crown, +1 to WILL)
    Split Chakra

Spoiler: Class Features
    Show

Daisho Profciency
    Two Swords as One (Improved, Greater)
    Kiai Smite 4/day
    Iajjutsu Master
    Staredown (Improved)
    Bonus Feat: Improved Initiative
    Mass Staredown
    Frightful Presence

Spoiler: Gear
    Show

Cloak of Resistance (25,000 GP)
    Manual of Gainful Exercise (137,500)
    Tome of Leadership and Influence (137,500)
    Cowl of Warding (200,800)
    Belt of Magnificence +6 (200,000)
    +2 Fearsome Death Ward Mithral Chainmail (7,250)
    +1 Eager Initiative Greatsword (38,350, +4 init)
    4,850 GP left

Last edited by ColorBlindNinja; 2017-07-19 at 07:39 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DEMON View Post
    I know! Let's have them both fight a Pit Fiend.
    NO! OUT!

The samurai will win at most levels. To me, it's more interesting to wonder what level the soulknife breaks ahead of the aristocrat: when does a third-rate weapon start to outdo real proficiencies?

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    NO! OUT!

You're not curious to see if they'll melt?

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    The samurai will win at most levels. To me, it's more interesting to wonder what level the soulknife breaks ahead of the aristocrat: when does a third-rate weapon start to outdo real proficiencies?
    I'd say the extra damage from a Great Sword would matter more at low levels, but that's just me.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

Ok my samurai is finished and ready for action. Let me know if there are any questions, or we can start the deathmatch.
    Awards

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Ok my samurai is finished and ready for action. Let me know if there are any questions, or we can start the deathmatch.
    No questions, although I probably will not be available tomorrow. On Friday I will be available but probably after 3:00 PM EST.