New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1180 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Pushing a relationship between two characters who haven't even met, is much like propelling a ship that's still anchored.
    Have you met shippers? At least they almost certainly will meat.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

Have you met shippers? At least they almost certainly will meat.
    But as long as they don’t bone, shippers will be disappointed.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-09-17 at 01:41 PM.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenstep View Post
    Below 1%? Could that possibly mean a one-in-a-million chance?
    More like 4.7 in 1,000 chance. It's possible, I just don't think it makes sense.

Pushing a relationship between two characters who haven't even met, is much like propelling a ship that's still anchored.
    I ain't pushing it. Just saying it's more likely than an alternative option.

I don't think this is happening either.

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalFailure View Post
    But if she does get a romantic plotline Minrah/Durkon makes a lot more sense with her character than Minrah/Bandana, at least for something more than a fling.
    I would disagree with that. More for narrative reasons than character reasons, though I think there are some of those. I just don't think it'd have a purpose, and I don't think Durkon's in a position, narrative-wise, where his character would benefit from one.

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalFailure View Post
    I don't really see the "they would have a fun dynamic" thing. Most of Bandana's jokes and dialogue come down to being "gritty badass pirate captain," and I don't see what dynamic this would create other than Bandana being a straight man for Minrah's goofy over explanations of what she's trying to say. Plus, given the chaotic rogue/pirate vs lawful guard/cleric, nomadic airship lifestyle versus part of a community in Dwarven lands, I have a hard time seeing anything between them going farther than "you're attractive, let's shack up for a while while we are one the same quest." I don't think that would be out of character, but some sort of serious romance would be pretty out of character for both of them.
    I think we have a different read on Bandana, but ultimately a serious romance is not what I would expect from this. A bit of conflict between their personalities on initial meeting, some bonding while traveling to Kraagor's Tomb, and a 'well, world might be ending, might as well'. Maybe it sticks, maybe it doesn't, but it'd be a minor subplot that'd exist to lighten the mood a little leading into the climax.

And again, I can't stress this enough, I do not think this will happen, I just think it's more likely than Durkon/Minrah. I think the most likely thing is that Bandana and Minrah interact a couple times, don't establish much of a connection, and fill entirely separate plot purposes in the next book.

4. - Top - End - #244

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    But as long as they don’t bone, shippers will be disappointed.
    Props to you, an average person would make a joke about meat, but you make a chance for a pub that doesn’t even mention meat, and now for me to pretend that this wasn’t correcting my misspelling:

I’d say that shippers will always be disappointed by the progress of the relationship until they bone, and then by the time they bone they hate the ship and want one of the characters dead.
    Show

I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

5. - Top - End - #245

Lizardfolk

but you make a chance for a pub that doesn’t even mention meat,
    The Vegan Arms?

6. - Top - End - #246
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by greenfunkman View Post
    The dwarves may have enshrined the "two drink minimum" into law... certainly custom!
    this is actually reasonable lol
    my avatar is my gaian avatar, it changes whenever i change on gaia.

^ help the order of the stick wiki out? ^

RIP grandmom 1931-2020 T_T
    RIP rocky the pug 2012-2022...

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't know about any possibility of romantic subplot between Durkon and Minrah, i tend not to really care about this kind of subplot in general.

We can assume one thing about Durkon, though. If he survive the confrontation against Team Evil and perform to contact and negotiate Redcloak, and one way or another, the OotS saves the world, then Durkon will probably be the highest level Cleric of Thor and next in line to be High Priest, and maybe even the highest level dwarven Cleric in the world.

Then there is still the IFCC plot to be solved also. We don't know much about their plan, but they do look like they are thorough and foreseeing.

Incidently, concerning Minrah, that means Durkon would officially become her boss.
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

8. - Top - End - #248

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    The Vegan Arms?
    I am terrible at this (and I’m tempted to intentionally misspell something but no, how about not).
    Show

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

(and I’m tempted to intentionally misspell something but no, how about not).
    Good idea, don't tempt Muphry's Law.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

10. - Top - End - #250

Good idea, don't tempt Muphry's Law.
    I was really I afraid I got something misspelled there for a second (so much that I checked to make sure misspell was spelled correctly, and that how was used correctly).
    Show

11. - Top - End - #251
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

In my opinion, there are three types of ships: crack ships, which are intentionally illogical, casual ships, and serious ships, where you actively hope two characters will get together.

Minrah X Bandana isn’t a crack ship, but it certainly isn’t serious either. Just a fun idea to throw around.
    Like Star Wars, ponies, and/or unabashed silliness? Check out my YouTube channel, Nothing In Particular, for a healthy dose of absurdity. It's just what the doctor ordered!*

* Surgeon General's Warning: May cause chronic hideous laughter, eye rolling, or beleaguered sighs. Not intended to prevent, diagnose, or treat any disease.

12. - Top - End - #252

Am I the only one who actually doesn't really care about Minrah? Just my opinion here, but I didn't find her a particularly compelling or interesting character, not really happy of seeing her as an addition to the OOTS.

I guess I'm the only one, right?

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cicciograna View Post
    Am I the only one who actually doesn't really care about Minrah? Just my opinion here, but I didn't find her a particularly compelling or interesting character, not really happy of seeing her as an addition to the OOTS.

I don't see her as main party material, but she's a solid character in of herself. Her tagging along for the final battle doesn't necessarily feel like the best choice, but it isn't a terrible one either.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

14. - Top - End - #254

WolfInSheepsClothing

I don't think she's going to be treated as a protagonist/PC and it seems very likely she'll end up doing something else useful at the north pole rather than being part of the final showdown.

15. - Top - End - #255

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I don't see her as main party material, but she's a solid character in of herself. Her tagging along for the final battle doesn't necessarily feel like the best choice, but it isn't a terrible one either.
    I liked her time spent in the Valhalla afterlife with Durkon, pretty interesting character development, but apart from that it seemed a character for which the Giant is trying too hard to show her being enthusiastic and spunky.
    Now she's coming along, falling more in the "liability" bin than the "asset", but I have the feeling she'll be protected by some good plot armor, otherwise why bringing her back again and with the group itself?
    Last edited by Cicciograna; 2019-09-17 at 03:51 PM.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Barbarian in the Playground

Personally, I'm glad Minrah is coming along! Not sure how she'd be able to hold her own in the final battle, but maybe she doesn't need to join the *big* fight...perhaps she'll stay back with the Mechane to help defend it while the Order deals with Team Evil?

17. - Top - End - #257

WolfInSheepsClothing

She seems like she'd get along well with O-Chul and Lien. Especially Lien.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Well personally, I feel like it makes sense for her character and the situation. I mean, the fate of the world relies on this party's mission. I'd expect more people to be stepping in if they knew about it.

As for her eventual role, as Roy said, every bit of help, uh, helps. I could see her joining O'Chul and Lein in fighting off bugbears/summoned monsters, kind of like she did in this book already with Durkon's family.
    Last edited by Frozenstep; 2019-09-17 at 04:08 PM.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

I liked her time spent in the Valhalla afterlife with Durkon, pretty interesting character development, but apart from that it seemed a character for which the Giant is trying too hard to show her being enthusiastic and spunky.
    Now she's coming along, falling more in the "liability" bin than the "asset", but I have the feeling she'll be protected by some good plot armor, otherwise why bringing her back again and with the group itself?
    Pretty much this. I like Minrah, but she's going into the endgame fight against at least one Epic caster (RC might be level 21ish?) and unless she's much more powerful than we expect (as in, if she's 13ish that works) she will be more an issue to keep alive in the final battle. She may, however, be useful in the final book- just not in the actual final fight, which is why she wants to go in the first place.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

-Squire Doodad

20. - Top - End - #260
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

I’m sure there’s plenty of others who feel the same way as you- they probably just aren’t motivated to comment. I think most people aren’t huge fans of her anyway, but are just intrigued by the possible addition of new party member. I don’t think anyone was expecting that, so it generated a lot of discussion.
    Like Star Wars, ponies, and/or unabashed silliness? Check out my YouTube channel, Nothing In Particular, for a healthy dose of absurdity. It's just what the doctor ordered!*

* Surgeon General's Warning: May cause chronic hideous laughter, eye rolling, or beleaguered sighs. Not intended to prevent, diagnose, or treat any disease.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MossyMeow View Post
    I’m sure there’s plenty of others who feel the same way as you- they probably just aren’t motivated to comment. I think most people aren’t huge fans of her anyway, but are just intrigued by the possible addition of new party member. I don’t think anyone was expecting that, so it generated a lot of discussion.
    I think this isn't too high above normal, to tell the truth.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2019-09-17 at 04:38 PM.

-Squire Doodad

22. - Top - End - #262

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by The Aboleth View Post
    Personally, I'm glad Minrah is coming along! Not sure how she'd be able to hold her own in the final battle, but maybe she doesn't need to join the *big* fight...perhaps she'll stay back with the Mechane to help defend it while the Order deals with Team Evil?
    My personal thought is we wouldn't be including a new character at this point if that character wasn't going to be important to the story. Also Bandana/Mechane crews time in the story will be winding up in Act I of the last book, by my reckoning. So Minrah will be important somehow.
    Or she's about to be killed off on a 'gotcha!' moment and never mentioned again. If Rich gets possessed by Joss Whedon.

23. - Top - End - #263

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    Or she's about to be killed off on a 'gotcha!' moment and never mentioned again. If Rich gets possessed by Joss Whedon.
    That would be so cruel that I would... do nothing and keep reading despite being super mad and annoyed.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #264
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

That would be so cruel that I would... do nothing and keep reading despite being super mad and annoyed.
    “Curse you Rich Burlew...Okay, what’s next?”

25. - Top - End - #265

Flumph

Look, I'm just saying, and no I don't think Minrah is going to Smite Evil _or_ bump uglies, but it's been a topic of fascination and revulsion.

Sorry I have 5 posts, you need ten to post links, even to local comics.

Fascination (and education):

go to 0082 "with those short stubby little bodies you'd never think they had the agility...."

Revulsion:

go to 0079.

I like how even then, Thor and Loki had yellow quiddities. And Loki's quiddity turned green at the end...

Planning? Foreshadowing? Dumb luck? No idea, great end result by the Giant, though.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BarakDeathBlade View Post
    Look, I'm just saying, and no I don't think Minrah is going to Smite Evil _or_ bump uglies, but it's been a topic of fascination and revulsion.

Sorry I have 5 posts, you need ten to post links, even to local comics.

Fascination (and education):

go to 0082 "with those short stubby little bodies you'd never think they had the agility...."

Revulsion:

go to 0079.

I like how even then, Thor and Loki had yellow quiddities. And Loki's quiddity turned green at the end...

Planning? Foreshadowing? Dumb luck? No idea, great end result by the Giant, though.
    Quiddities as a concept was most likely not a thing then.

-Squire Doodad

27. - Top - End - #267

Flumph

Quiddities as a concept was most likely not a thing then.
    Agreed, other pantheons weren't a thing then.

FoghornLeghorn:

It's a joke, son, a funny, I keep a pitchen them and you keep a missin them.

/FoghornLeghorn:

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

Agreed, other pantheons weren't a thing then.

FoghornLeghorn:

It's a joke, son, a funny, I keep a pitchen them and you keep a missin them.

/FoghornLeghorn:
    People have taken more tenuous ideas to be hard evidence, but it doesn't matter whoops.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2019-09-17 at 06:42 PM.

-Squire Doodad

29. - Top - End - #269

Flumph

People have taken more tenuous ideas to be hard evidence, but it doesn't matter whoops.
    True dat.

Hey, I'm up to seven, in a couple posts I can add links!

30. - Top - End - #270
    Orc in the Playground

True dat.

Hey, I'm up to seven, in a couple posts I can add links!
    Go participate in an Alignment debate, you'll get yourself a respectable post count soon enough.