New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: NFL (pronounced Niffle) Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by KuReshtin View Post
    Eagles may be 2-0, but they've just barely got both their wins, and could just as well have been 0-2.
    Barely is not a strong enough term. Yes, I realize that whole boilerplate about "the only statistic that matters is the Win\Lose column", but frankly they *should* have lost both of those games.

The Bengals won against a team they should have won against, continuing their string of beating bad teams and losing to good teams. Have I made my "Marvin Lewis is a 8-8 coach" joke already in the thread? Why yes, I believe I have.

The Patriots are scaring me. Apparently they've had multiple injuries at the tight end position, an important one in their scheme.
    • Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    • The main problem with the world? So many grownups, not enough adults.
    • Talk less; say more.
    • George R.R. Martin, Kirkman, and Joss Whedon walked into a bar. There were no survivors.
    • Current Project: Fallout 4 "nerd" build (3/7/2/2/9/3/2, PER 9 after boosts)

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ettin in the Playground

Cincinatti usually pushes (at worst) against both Pittsburgh and Baltimore. It's not that they lose against good teams, it's that they have such a tough home division that they're often worn after the division crunch, which costs them. That said, they were lucky to win yesterday. That was a pretty sloppy game.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

They really need to get the normal refs back. Its very obvious that these refs aren't up to professional standards.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    They really need to get the normal refs back. Its very obvious that these refs aren't up to professional standards.
    Yeah, it's getting to the point that defensive backs are quite obviously tripping, yanking and grappling because they know they're not going to get called for it. And they're punishing players for doing the right thing with phantom calls. Between the ridiculous fumble call on Vick in his final drive against Baltimore and the phantom PI call in Pittsburgh, crappy referees could have ultimately decided who won the AFC North this year had that fumble not been automatically reviewed.

As it is, it's wreaking havoc with my fantasy football teams.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by McStabbington View Post
    Yeah, it's getting to the point that defensive backs are quite obviously tripping, yanking and grappling because they know they're not going to get called for it. And they're punishing players for doing the right thing with phantom calls.
    Not to mention the illegal blindside block by Golden Tate on Sean Lee in the DAL@SEA game. Dipped his head, hitting a (according to the definitions of the rules) defenseless player, a block that's been banned by the league as it is highly dangerous and can potentially end a player's career.

I expect to see a report that Tate was heavily fined for that block, evn if it wasn't called on the field.
    The sickening thing about blocks like those, though, is that a lot of commentators get really excited when they see a block like that and thinks it's a good block, and then you see the player making that block getting slapped on the back by their coaches and team mates on the sidelines, even if they could have potentially ended someone's career.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy
    Thanks KuReshtin, Chief Nerd-Hurder of the UKitP Clan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    KuReshtin too, because he's awesome and a Swede, and therefore double awesome.
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Most announcers and coaches are still thinking about the days when it was legal to bite someone in the game. Though the MNF game was just embarrassing, I did not see it but heard that on a 5 yard penalty they made it a 11 yard penalty somehow? And they were throwing flags at any CB who breathed on a WR too heavily.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Troll in the Playground

Damn. I just read some very sad news.

Steve Sabol of NFL Films, the man who coined the phrases 'The Frozen Tundra', 'America's team' and 'The Catch', has passed away.
    Apparently, he was suffering from an inoperable brain tumor.
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

Damn. I just read some very sad news.

Steve Sabol of NFL Films, the man who coined the phrases 'The Frozen Tundra', 'America's team' and 'The Catch', has passed away.
    Apparently, he was suffering from an inoperable brain tumor.
    He'd had the brain tumor for the while. This is a sad moment though, aside from that insidious "America's Team" that the Cowboys still insist on calling themselves even though everybody hates them, he was one of the best things that ever happened to football.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by An Enemy Spy View Post
    He'd had the brain tumor for the while. This is a sad moment though, aside from that insidious "America's Team" that the Cowboys still insist on calling themselves even though everybody hates them, he was one of the best things that ever happened to football.
    Not "even though everybody hates them".

Because everybody hates them.

There is no other team in the NFL as likely to get an emotional reaction from a random fan as the Cowboys.

I used to say (1970s-1990s), that there are only four ways to be an NFL fan:
    1. Your favorite team is the local team and your second favorite team is the Cowboys.
    2. Your favorite team is the Cowboys and your second favorite team is the local team.
    3. Your favorite team is the local team and your second favorite team is whoever's playing the Cowboys.
    4. Your favorite team is whoever's playing the Cowboys and your second favorite team is the local team.

The proportions change, but the basic fact remains pretty close to true.

Not as much as it once was, but the Cowboys still have a stronger emotional pull, positive or negative, than any other team.

[Also, they keep using the phrase because they trademarked it. It's advertising, not analysis.]

edit: mistyped sentence.
    Last edited by Jay R; 2012-09-19 at 05:32 PM.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

That's a pretty fair analysis. At least since their glory days in the 90's, I've described Dallas as the Manchester United of the NFL, except with less talent. Unlike MU, they haven't put together particularly successful teams. But like MU, they evoke very strong emotions and as a result, very strong ratings.

There's a reason why Dallas remained in the NFC East in the realignment despite the fact that both Carolina and Atlanta have a much stronger geographic claim, and that reason was entirely about marketing and ratings. The Giants-Cowboys and Eagles-Cowboys aren't necessarily the best or the longest rivalries in the NFL, but they're certainly the most watched. If the Cowboys had gone to the NFC South, we'd see those games once every other year or so, rather than twice every year.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Troll in the Playground

That's a pretty fair analysis. At least since their glory days in the 90's, I've described Dallas as the Manchester United of the NFL, except with less talent. Unlike MU, they haven't put together particularly successful teams. But like MU, they evoke very strong emotions and as a result, very strong ratings.

There's a reason why Dallas remained in the NFC East in the realignment despite the fact that both Carolina and Atlanta have a much stronger geographic claim, and that reason was entirely about marketing and ratings. The Giants-Cowboys and Eagles-Cowboys aren't necessarily the best or the longest rivalries in the NFL, but they're certainly the most watched. If the Cowboys had gone to the NFC South, we'd see those games once every other year or so, rather than twice every year.
    I would say that the Cowboys-Redskins rivalry is one of the most iconic in the NFL, alongside the Packers-Bears rivalry.
    Hell, the Cowboys-redskins rivalry began before the Cowboys were even in the league, when the owner of the Cowboys bought the rights to the Redskins fight song, and said that if the redskins owner didn't vote for the inclusion of the Cowboys into the NFL, the Redskins would NEVER get to play the song at their games ever again.

Can't go wrong with a bit of blackmail, right?
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

So, we're 5 weeks into the season, and we have a few very interesting situations that have arisen so far.

Who'd have thought the Saints would be 1-4 after 5 weeks? is this only due to the loss of Sean Payton, or has the team just suddenly hit a wall? heir defense hasn't stopped anyone so far this season. The only teams that have allowed more points are the Bills and the Titans.

Falcons and Texans are the only two unbeaten teams in the league, while the Browns is the only winless team.

My Cowboys are sitting at 2-2, even if they've scored the fewest points in the entire league, tied with the Jaguars. I'm thinking that a 5-11 or 6-10 season is very likely for the Cowboys, unless they can get something sorted.

the regular refs are back after the replacement refs did the best they could, but it wasn't good enough, unfortunately. reports from the officiating circles state that the replacements were guys that were retired from officiating college football, or not good enough to officiate Div-I college games, and to throw them into NFL games was a bad move by the league, as it really only could end one way. The players and coaches took advantage of the inexperience of the replacements, and tried to get away with more and more each week. I think it'll take a few weeks for the regular refs to restore order properly.
    I think the ejection of the Minnesota guy this past week was a good thing, as it shows the teams that the refs control the field and the players can't run around doing what they want.

Speaking of the ejection, i always smile when I hear an official say that the player has disqualified himself from the game. The officials do not eject players. The players eject themselves by breaking the rules in a way that warrants ejection.

So, any thoughts from anyone else?
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Who'd have thought the Saints would be 1-4 after 5 weeks? is this only due to the loss of Sean Payton, or has the team just suddenly hit a wall? heir defense hasn't stopped anyone so far this season. The only teams that have allowed more points are the Bills and the Titans.
    *raises hand
    I'm surprised they have the one win, frankly.

Falcons and Texans are the only two unbeaten teams in the league, while the Browns is the only winless team.
    Browns being winless isn't a surprise; they're pretty hapless, and don't seem to be taking that situation seriously. Rather like the Bengals they make hay about that "tough division" without explaining the other 10-12 games of the year... Texans doing well isn't a surprise. Falcons a bit more so, perhaps because I wasn't paying attention.

the regular refs are back after the replacement refs did the best they could, but it wasn't good enough...The players and coaches took advantage of the inexperience of the replacements, and tried to get away with more and more each week. I think it'll take a few weeks for the regular refs to restore order properly.
    And absolutely nobody should be surprised about that. Competitors are going to compete, in any way they can find.

I can't find my favorite cartoon about the subject right now. To the left is the replacement ref, complete with his "blind" glasses and white walking stick. To the right is the real ref, in the same outfit... but with a guide dog.
    Last edited by TheEmerged; 2012-10-10 at 07:54 AM.
    • Talk less; say more.
    • George R.R. Martin, Kirkman, and Joss Whedon walked into a bar. There were no survivors.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

NFC West is currently the best division in the league. 14-6 overall record(including intra-division games) and unbeaten in home games. The closest other division is the NFC North who sit at 11-8. The NFC West is also the only division without a team under .500.
    The worst division is the AFC West, who sit at 7-12.
    Last edited by An Enemy Spy; 2012-10-10 at 10:43 AM.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Bugbear in the Playground

the regular refs are back after the replacement refs did the best they could, but it wasn't good enough, unfortunately. reports from the officiating circles state that the replacements were guys that were retired from officiating college football, or not good enough to officiate Div-I college games, and to throw them into NFL games was a bad move by the league, as it really only could end one way. The players and coaches took advantage of the inexperience of the replacements, and tried to get away with more and more each week. I think it'll take a few weeks for the regular refs to restore order properly.
    I think the ejection of the Minnesota guy this past week was a good thing, as it shows the teams that the refs control the field and the players can't run around doing what they want.

Speaking of the ejection, i always smile when I hear an official say that the player has disqualified himself from the game. The officials do not eject players. The players eject themselves by breaking the rules in a way that warrants ejection.

So, any thoughts from anyone else?
    The ejection of "the Minnesota guy" (his name is Harrison Smith) was, while understandable, unwarranted (IMO). If you look at the slow-mo replay here: http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/b...ion.gif?e0b22b

it was more of a "getting away" shove than a "moving the other guy" shove. Also, he claims that he didn't really see the ref except in his peripheral vision, and thought he was a Tennessee defender. That said, it is nice that the new refs are making sure everyone respects their authority.

I'm actually just happy that my Vikings are doing so well. And that the Packers are terrible. Also, Tony Gonzalez (my personal favorite football player of all time) is coming up on his hundredth touchdown!
    Quotes!
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    BY THE HEAVENS! Dimonite! You are even more awesome than I thought!
    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    *high fives!*
    That was awesome, made me smile.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witch-King View Post
    THIS aberrant, ancient evil ain't no playa! I'm gonna take care of my little Meduthids and my Spawnling Mama! Besides which--the Old Ones know the Elder Brain keeps pestering me about giving it some Grandspawnlings...
    The Neutralizer - my 3.5 class that attempts to make wizards less OP.
    Fantastic dragonpuppy drawn by my sister in the ancient times.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dimonite View Post
    The ejection of "the Minnesota guy" (his name is Harrison Smith) was, while understandable, unwarranted (IMO). If you look at the slow-mo replay here: http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/b...ion.gif?e0b22b

it was more of a "getting away" shove than a "moving the other guy" shove. Also, he claims that he didn't really see the ref except in his peripheral vision, and thought he was a Tennessee defender. That said, it is nice that the new refs are making sure everyone respects their authority.

I'm actually just happy that my Vikings are doing so well. And that the Packers are terrible. Also, Tony Gonzalez (my personal favorite football player of all time) is coming up on his hundredth touchdown!
    Yeah, sorry, I couldn't recall his name at the time, and was too caught up in typing to stop and look it up.

The ejection as totally warranted. The rules specifically say that any contact by a player to an official that is not accidental is an ejectionable offence. This includes shoving an official aside, which the link you posted clearly shows he is doing. He is literally shoving the official off his feet.

Last I heard, he won't get a suspension from the incident, which I think is the correct call, but I also think that the ejection was very much warranted by his actions.
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

17. - Top - End - #137

Yeah, sorry, I couldn't recall his name at the time, and was too caught up in typing to stop and look it up.

The ejection as totally warranted. The rules specifically say that any contact by a player to an official that is not accidental is an ejectionable offence. This includes shoving an official aside, which the link you posted clearly shows he is doing. He is literally shoving the official off his feet.

Last I heard, he won't get a suspension from the incident, which I think is the correct call, but I also think that the ejection was very much warranted by his actions.
    It looks more to me like a sort of "hey man, get off me!" kind of thing, and while the shove may not have been accidental he claims he didn't think he was shoving an official. But I suppose it doesn't really matter if he's not getting suspended; the Vikings still annihilated the Titans. As a lifelong Vikings fan, I am very excited.
    Quotes!
    Spoiler
    Show

*high fives!*
    THIS aberrant, ancient evil ain't no playa! I'm gonna take care of my little Meduthids and my Spawnling Mama! Besides which--the Old Ones know the Elder Brain keeps pestering me about giving it some Grandspawnlings...

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The Vikings do look like the breakout team of the season; some might have said the Cards, but I think they'll fall back now that they've lost both their running backs and now have to rely on that atrocious line solely for pass protection. Big improvements on defense, especially; they're playing teams with a lot more stiffness than they did last year.

And I suppose in an odd way I should thank the Vikings for clocking the Niners in Week 3. For all their talk about staying humble, I think it was pretty obvious that the Niners expected a cakewalk and just wanted to cruise to a win without revealing any of their playbook. What they got instead was a punch in the jaw, and as a result, they've been playing mean ever since. I wish you luck and thank your team for the dose of reality about the any-given-Sunday nature of the NFL, but I can't say I envy your chances if you face us again in the playoffs. Our defense will be looking for blood.
    Last edited by McStabbington; 2012-10-10 at 10:31 PM.

19. - Top - End - #139

The Vikings do look like the breakout team of the season; some might have said the Cards, but I think they'll fall back now that they've lost both their running backs and now have to rely on that atrocious line solely for pass protection. Big improvements on defense, especially; they're playing teams with a lot more stiffness than they did last year.

And I suppose in an odd way I should thank the Vikings for clocking the Niners in Week 3. For all their talk about staying humble, I think it was pretty obvious that the Niners expected a cakewalk and just wanted to cruise to a win without revealing any of their playbook. What they got instead was a punch in the jaw, and as a result, they've been playing mean ever since. I wish you luck and thank your team for the dose of reality about the any-given-Sunday nature of the NFL, but I can't say I envy your chances if you face us again in the playoffs. Our defense will be looking for blood.
    Bet 'ya half a dollar it's going to be less bloodthirsty than the NFC championship a few years back. You know, where the New Orleans coach put a bounty on Favre?
    Quotes!
    Spoiler
    Show

*high fives!*

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

That Seahakws game. Just wow.
    ^~Cody T.~^

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." - Mewtwo

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chess435 View Post
    That Seahakws game. Just wow.
    That game was almost unbearable to watch as a Seahawks fan. Pretty much ran the spectrum of absolute hopeless deppression to unbridled ecstacy. These Seahawks give me heart attack once a week. Only one game not decided by less than a touchdown.

22. - Top - End - #142

A great accomplishment happened in the NFL today: Tony Gonzalez became the 8th person in NFL history to get 100 or more receiving touchdowns, and the ONLY tight end to do so.
    Quotes!
    Spoiler
    Show

*high fives!*

23. - Top - End - #143
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dimonite View Post
    A great accomplishment happened in the NFL today: Tony Gonzalez became the 8th person in NFL history to get 100 or more receiving touchdowns, and the ONLY tight end to do so.
    That's a great achievment for him. Gonzo has been great for all of his career.

Now, without looking up the answer, who are the other 7?

I'm thinking Jerry (obviously), Terrell, Randy, Chris, Reggie and Michael could be at 100+, but can't think of a 7th...
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

24. - Top - End - #144

That's a great achievment for him. Gonzo has been great for all of his career.

Now, without looking up the answer, who are the other 7?

I'm thinking Jerry (obviously), Terrell, Randy, Chris, Reggie and Michael could be at 100+, but can't think of a 7th...
    ... I would love to do that, but I already looked it up before I even posted.
    Quotes!
    Spoiler
    Show

*high fives!*

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    Not "even though everybody hates them".

Because everybody hates them.

There is no other team in the NFL as likely to get an emotional reaction from a random fan as the Cowboys...
    Not as much as it once was, but the Cowboys still have a stronger emotional pull, positive or negative, than any other team.
    I'm a Rams fan; it's funny that I used to admire the Cowboys of Staubach, Lilly, & Landry. I began to detest them when they became Johnson, Irvin, & Jerry Jones.

Speaking of the Rams, why are so many people freaking over the fact that their game with the Niners ended in a tie? Ties used to happen all the time. The sky will not fall.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KnightDisciple View Post
    Go Chiefs!
    They're gonna make the playoffs, just you wait and see!
    At this point, I'm considering just going into the wilderness wearing sackcloth and ashes.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post
    ...it's funny that I used to admire the Cowboys of Staubach, Lilly, & Landry. I began to detest them when they became Johnson, Irvin, & Jerry Jones.
    You are *far* from alone on that point. I have Staubach's & Landry's autobiographies on my bookshelves.
    • Talk less; say more.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Troll in the Playground

I'm a Rams fan; it's funny that I used to admire the Cowboys of Staubach, Lilly, & Landry. I began to detest them when they became Johnson, Irvin, & Jerry Jones.
    I unfortunately don't know what it would have been like to support the Cowboys during the times of Staubach and Landry, since I only started following American Football properly in the early 90s.
    I agree that Jerry needs to get real and try to decide whether the Cowboys are his little play thing that he can do whatever he wants with, or if he wants to win.
    Cause right now, he's acting like it's his plaything and the wins aren't happening.
    Jerry is the new Al.

Speaking of the Rams, why are so many people freaking over the fact that their game with the Niners ended in a tie? Ties used to happen all the time. The sky will not fall.
    I just find it funny that all the 9ers fans I know were so certain of beating the Rams, and all of them are really quiet this week. For some reason, they seem to think that a tie is even worse as a loss.
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

I just find it funny that all the 9ers fans I know were so certain of beating the Rams, and all of them are really quiet this week. For some reason, they seem to think that a tie is even worse as a loss.
    Losses are familiar. Ties are just wierd. You're not sure if it's a good or bad thing and since they are so rare in American Football, you don't go into a game with any reasonable expectation for them like you might in sports like soccer.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by An Enemy Spy View Post
    Losses are familiar. Ties are just wierd. You're not sure if it's a good or bad thing and since they are so rare in American Football, you don't go into a game with any reasonable expectation for them like you might in sports like soccer.
    Sure, I know it's a very rare thing to happen, but a tie is still counted as half a win in the W-L record, but the 9er fans I know that are complaining about the tie make it sound as if it's a loss and a half instead.
    Stig-atar by Irbis.