New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Which of these starship propulsion methods is best for an advanced society?

How would one get useful energy out of a black hole? Feed matter into it and somehow use radiation it produces?
    Resident Vancian Apologist

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Which of these starship propulsion methods is best for an advanced society?

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    How would one get useful energy out of a black hole? Feed matter into it and somehow use radiation it produces?
    I believe that's the basic idea.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

How would one get useful energy out of a black hole?
    I think the idea here is that the black hole distorts spacetime, and you place it such that you "roll downhill" the distortion towards your destination.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

You tie it to a pole and hold it out of the front window of your spaceship. That way you are constantly accelerated through the attraction to the black hole. To deccelerate, stick the pole with the hole through the rear window.

To steer in a comfortable manner, you would however need two black holes. Attach each to the ends of a cross beam at the end of your pole. Pivot the cross beam with strings you tie to its ends, leisurely from the front seat of your space ship.

Proof of concept by L.d. Lokomotivführer, J. Knopf.
    Last edited by Iruka; 2017-11-29 at 11:15 AM.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Iruka View Post
    You tie it to a pole and hold it out of the front window of your spaceship. That way you are constantly accelerated through the attraction to the black hole. To deccelerate, stick the pole with the hole through the rear window.

To steer in a comfortable manner, you would however need two black holes. Attach each to the ends of a cross beam at the end of your pole. Pivot the cross beam with strings you tie to its ends, leisurely from the front seat of your space ship.
    This is the most sensible idea in this thread. I told y'all that black hole starship was the best choice.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #36

Did you by any chance read Jim Knopf as a child?

7. - Top - End - #37

Did you by any chance read Jim Knopf as a child?
    You are correct. I failed in giving my sources, as would be good scientific practice. I will edit my post.

Also worked kinda differently than I remembered.
    Last edited by Iruka; 2017-11-29 at 11:16 AM.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~

8. - Top - End - #38

You tie it to a pole and hold it out of the front window of your spaceship.
    Wouldn't it just eat the pole, and the string you tied it on with for that matter? Ah, is this what the magnetic mono-poles are for? Maybe some cosmic string as well?
    Last edited by Excession; 2017-11-29 at 04:29 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39

Quote Originally Posted by Excession View Post
    Wouldn't it just eat the pole, and the string you tied it on with for that matter? Ah, is this what the magnetic mono-poles are for? Maybe some cosmic string as well?
    This is where string theory comes into play.

~Augustus von Fabelrath~

10. - Top - End - #40

This is where string theory comes into play.
    Plus the magnetic monopole. That thing threaded with string theory can hook any fish.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Firbolg in the Playground

Plus the magnetic monopole. That thing threaded with string theory can hook any fish.
    *Twitch. Twitch.*

The purposeful misunderstanding of physics is strong here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

12. - Top - End - #42

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    *Twitch. Twitch.*

The purposeful misunderstanding of physics is strong here.
    Well, a lot of physics are pretty easy. I've got the astrology, crystals, and tea leaves down. It's the palm readings that throw me.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Well, a lot of physics are pretty easy. I've got the astrology, crystals, and tea leaves down. It's the palm readings that throw me.
    The important thing to remember is that you can extend the palm lines to increase life expectancy. Just like phrenology teaches that hitting people with a big hammer means you can subtly change their personality.

GW
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

14. - Top - End - #44

It works pretty much like homeopathy. The less you read, the more powerful your reading becomes.

~Augustus von Fabelrath~

15. - Top - End - #45

Just remember to frown and say "Hm" a lot as you look at someone's hands.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Spojaz View Post
    The only way I could conceive of a black hole starship would have to use a particular kind of black hole, called a Kugelblitz. Depending on how the physics turns out to work beyond that singularity, the "black hole made of light" could have the gravitational pull of say, Earth, without any inertial mass. You could magnetically push in front of your hull (for practically no energy) and then fall towards it to wherever you needed to go.

It would also absorb or deflect a bunch of the space dust and radiation that makes relativistic travel a deadly problem.
    I always liked this idea, but have always wondered.... How do you choose not to move or not to continue accelerating in some direction? And what about docking to another ship without destroying it? And if to stop accelerating you need two black holes how does your ship not get torn apart? And how do you handle space-time distortions from one end of you ship to the other?
    Last edited by LordEntrails; 2017-11-30 at 11:54 AM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Just like phrenology teaches that hitting people with a big hammer means you can subtly change their personality.
    Well technically you can, like conscious to unconscious or alive to dead.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Well technically you can, like conscious to unconscious or alive to dead.
    Your definition of "subtle" doesn't quite match mine, I'm afraid.

GW

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    I always liked this idea, but have always wondered.... How do you choose not to move or not to continue accelerating in some direction? And what about docking to another ship without destroying it? And if to stop accelerating you need two black holes how does your ship not get torn apart? And how do you handle space-time distortions from one end of you ship to the other?
    I mean, with a bit of work slowing down isn't a problem, just add the ability to swing the ship around the poles. Stopping is more difficult.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

20. - Top - End - #50

Quote Originally Posted by Spojaz View Post
    The only way I could conceive of a black hole starship would have to use a particular kind of black hole, called a Kugelblitz. Depending on how the physics turns out to work beyond that singularity, the "black hole made of light" could have the gravitational pull of say, Earth, without any inertial mass. You could magnetically push in front of your hull (for practically no energy) and then fall towards it to wherever you needed to go.

It would also absorb or deflect a bunch of the space dust and radiation that makes relativistic travel a deadly problem.
    To be serious for a minute, I pretty sure this is not how mass works. No rest mass doesn't mean no inertial mass. Energy has mass, so photons have mass, and inertial mass and gravitational mass are the same thing. I think the idea of a "black hole drive" is to use the black hole as a matter to energy converter. You fire mass into a small black hole at exactly the same rate as it outputs energy via Hawking radiation. In theory it is a very efficient way to generate power. In practice you're trying to hold onto a nuclear bomb that is constantly exploding, and somehow moving it around as well.

A Kugelblitz might be a way to initially generate the block hole. You just need an absurd amount of lasers all pointing to one place, pulse them all at once, and then catch the resulting black hole.
    Last edited by Excession; 2017-11-30 at 08:00 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

The theoretical best possible drive you can get that uses fuel that it carries is a lightweight antimatter-powered photon recoil drive (i.e. a giant laser). But that assumes you also have a container for your antimatter that weighs less than the antimatter. If you don't, you're better off with an antimatter rocket that uses the antimatter jars as reaction mass - that way they're an asset rather than dead weight.

Other types of fuel can't be more efficient than antimatter unless they let you use a much lighter fuel tank; the limit for alternate fuels is E=MC^2, but antimatter lets you cheat by reacting the fuel with part of its tank to increase M.

Fuel efficiency is based on how fast you can eject your exhaust, and it's impossible to beat the speed of light.

Ramjets and solar sails cheat by not carrying all their fuel on board. They're basically the same thing in different gears; a solar sail catches fuel that's moving faster than the spaceship in the direction it wants to go, while a ramjet catches fuel moving in the opposite direction. As a result, a ramjet requires spending stored energy while a solar sail doesn't and can even generate a little on its own. Which one's better depends on which way the fuel's moving.
    Last edited by Bucky; 2017-12-01 at 06:41 PM.
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

22. - Top - End - #52

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Fuel efficiency is based on how fast you can eject your exhaust, and it's impossible to beat the speed of light.
    Maybe.

Yes given current theories. But then again at one time "current" theories and supporting mathematical equations showed that matter could not travel faster than sound.

We don't truly understand everything. And some day we are bound to learn that things we believe today are simply wrong. What those theories that are proven wrong,we just don't know.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

If you do find a way to make matter travel faster than light, and can fit a machine to do it on your spaceship then forget about rockets and just use one of those.

Re: Kugelblitz

A Kugelblitz is unlikely to be construable even by a super-advanced alien civilization. But if you somehow did make one, it wouldn't be different from an ordinary black hole in any way that matters for rocket science.
    Last edited by Bucky; 2017-12-01 at 07:12 PM.
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

24. - Top - End - #54

Maybe.

Yes given current theories. But then again at one time "current" theories and supporting mathematical equations showed that matter could not travel faster than sound.
    Let's see if I remember how to do this!

Prandtl-Gleurt Singularity?

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

at one time "current" theories and supporting mathematical equations showed that matter could not travel faster than sound
    [citation needed]

GW

26. - Top - End - #56

[citation needed]

GW
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pran...rt_singularity

I did not remember the spellin, btw.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe.

We don't truly understand everything. And some day we are bound to learn that things we believe today are simply wrong. What those theories that are proven wrong,we just don't know.
    The closest thing we have to a warp drive idea that works is not based on reaction drives. If we discover some other form of breaking C, there's basically a guaranteed chance that it will work through some other mechanisms and look absolutely nothing like the reaction drives on normal rockets. So when we're talking the theoretical limits of existing technology, we're far more likely to break those limits through a completely different technology than through some magical new refinement of the current stuff.

Granted, "can't break C" isn't really a reason why a rocket ship could never go faster. One with magically everfull fuel tanks could continue a constant acceleration forever, but still never hit that point. The real limit is intrinsic to the nature of spacetime itself, which goes back to the point that no amount of better rockets will ever push you past that.

28. - Top - End - #58

[citation needed]

GW
    Basically, the idea was that as you approached the speed of sound, more and more pressure would build up in front of you. Which it does. However, it was predicted that the pressure would go up to infinity as one approached the speed of sound, which it doesn't. So, by those theories, you could get infinitely close to the speed of sound, but not over it.

29. - Top - End - #59

NecromancerGuy

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pran...rt_singularity

I did not remember the spellin, btw.
    Thank you. That is a more direct reference.

I was going to point the question towards the theory of incompressible aerodynamics that date back to Isaac Newton's theory of air resistance as well as Bernoulli's Principle. Both of which provide equations that "prove" a physical object can not travel faster than sound.

EDIT: They were early lectures when I earned my degree in Aerospace Engineering.
    Last edited by LordEntrails; 2017-12-02 at 08:37 PM.