New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Lightbulb [Creature] Sometimes what is behind the mask... is a mask

This is one of my first ever creations from years back. I've spruced it up just for you, ladies and gentlebeings!

-=-=-=-=-=-

Masqueradin

Tiny Construct
    Hit Dice: 2d10 (11 hp)
    Initiative: +6
    Speed: Fly 40 ft. (perfect)
    Armor Class: 20 (+6 dex, +2 natural, +2 size), flat-footed 14, touch 18; 80% miss chance
    Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-9
    Attack: Bite +9 melee (1d6-2)
    Full attack: Bite +9 melee (1d6-2)
    Space/Reach: 2 1/2 ft./0 ft.
    Special Attacks: Grimaces, spell-like abilities
    Special Qualities: Construct Traits, darkvision 60 ft., dispellable, eyes of the maker, illusion form, tongues
    Saves: Fort +0, Ref +6, Will +0
    Abilities: Str 6, Dex 22, Con -, Int 13, Wis 10, Cha 17
    Skills: Bluff +8, Intimidate +10, Perform (act) +7, Sense Motive +8
    Feats: Combat Expertise, Improved Feint(B), Weapon Finesse (B)
    Environment: Any
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: 2
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Usually chaotic neutral
    Advancement: -
    Level Adjustment: -

A masqueradin appears to most an extravagantly clothed figure wrapped within a cloak. Seemingly hiding its face is a large, festive mask. In reality only the mask is real, with the rest of its form an illusion.

These creatures are often made by wizards, and sometimes bards, to defend, scout or sometimes simply to entertain. They have a dramatic personality, sometimes whimsical, other times dark and foreboding, each one being different upon creation, though ofter flavored by their creator.

A masqueradin can understand and speak all languages by use of the Tongues spell.

Combat
    A masqueradin normally uses its magical grimaces to discourage battle. If this is not enough, it will swoop down upon its opponents, the mask sprouting sharp, overly large teeth. If it finds itself losing however it will quickly fly out of reach of weapons.

Dispellable:
    A masqueradin is vulnerable to Dispel Magic as a normal magical item. The item has a caster level equal to it's creator at the time of it's making for purposes of dispelling it. As its flight speed is magical in nature it will plummet to the ground if successfully dispelled.

Eyes of the Maker (Su): Those who craft a masqueradin may at any time see through the eyes of their creation as a standard action as long as they are within a number of feet equal to 100 x the caster level of the maker. They may do this even if the masqueradin has gained independence.

Grimaces (Sp):
    A masqueradin has a gaze attack in the way of a selection of facial expression that has very real consequences upon those that it considers its foes within 30 feet if they fail a DC 14 will save. It can only make one expression per round. Roll a d6 each round to see what kind of grimace it makes that round. Caster level 5th. Save DC's are Charisma-based.

If it looks upon those about it with a sobbing frown they are affected as if by Crushing Despair.
    If the features stretch out in a yawn those who look upon it are affected as if by Deep Slumber.
    If its features twist into a rictus of horror, those whom look upon the mask are affected as if under a Fear spell.
    If the features become one of hilarity those who look upon it are affected as if by Hideous Laughter. The masqueradin does not take the penalties from being of a different type than those it affects.
    If the features twist into a sneer of disgust while meeting the eyes of one of its opponents, they must make a DC 14 will save or become nauseated for as long as it holds the gaze and remains within that distance. Every round the victim may attempt a new saving throw.
    If the features turn into a wide-eyed look of surprise those who look upon it take a -10 penalty to listen and spot checks and a -4 penalty to Initiative.

Illusion Form (Sp):
    A masqueradin continuously forms itself a body as if using the Major Image ability, and can even appear to bring forth weapons, but all are completely immaterial. If struck this illusion does not fade, but causes the masqueradin to appear as if it is incorporeal.
    Because of this trick upon the senses blows against a Masqueradin are assessed an 80% miss chance. True Seeing and True Strike foils this miss chance.
    A masqueradin is considered Medium sized for the purpose of Intimidate checks.

Spell-like Abilities: Caster level 5th. Save DC's are Charisma-based.
    At Will - Mage Hand, Prestidigitation.

Tongues (Su): A masqueradin can speak with any creature that has a language, as though using a tongues spell (caster level 5th). This ability is always active.

Skills: A masqueradin gains a +4 bonus to Perform (act) checks.

-=-=-=-=-=-

Creating A Masqueradin

A masqueradin is made from leather or rubber stretched over a carven darkwood mask and painted with specially prepared pigments mixed with a vial of the creator's tears. The creature’s master may construct the mask or hire someone else to do the job. Creating the mask requires a DC 14 Craft (woodworking) check or a DC 14 Craft (leatherworking) check. After the mask is completed, it is animated through an extended magical ritual that requires a specially prepared laboratory or workroom, similar to an alchemist’s laboratory and costing 500 gp to establish. If the creator is personally constructing mask, the building and ritual can be performed together.

Craft Construct, crushing despair, deep slumber, eagle's splendor, fear, hideous laughter, permanent image, stinking cloud, tongues, caster must be at least 11th level; Price 5,000 gp; Cost 2,550 gp + 200 XP.

There is a 10% chance when a masqueradin is made that it becomes independent from its master, taking on individuality with its newfound sentience.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2008-08-21 at 10:58 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [Creature] Sometimes what is behind the mask... is a mask

Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, and Tongues need to be included in the list of spells required to create.

Is it possible for a creator to still see through it's eyes if it's gained independence?

Need to make note that True seeing also ignores the miss chance.

Really neat idea though. I'll probably yank it sometime.
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

"Roll a d6 each round to see what kind of grimace it makes that round."

It only has 5 grimaces [sob, yawn, rictus, hilarity and sneer] listed. Should there be a 6th one?

Also, you have the spells stinking cloud and eagle's splendor listed in its creation but nothing about it suggests why you picked those spells.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2008-08-21 at 10:44 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Masquerade! Paper faces on parade . . .Masquerade! Hide your face, so the world will never find you!

Sorry, that song got stuck in my head as I ready this. I love this construct, but granted I have a thing for masks. Now it says True Strike always strikes the mask, would that give PC's a spot check to notice they keep hitting the mask?
    "Blessings of Father Malkav be with you, and might madness follow in your footsteps."

What D&D Character are you?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neutral Evil Human Bard (3rd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength- 10
    Dexterity- 13
    Constitution- 15
    Intelligence- 13
    Wisdom- 15
    Charisma- 12

Avatar by LordRod. Thanks again.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    "Roll a d6 each round to see what kind of grimace it makes that round."

It only has 5 grimaces [sob, yawn, rictus, hilarity and sneer] listed. Should there be a 6th one?

Also, you have the spells stinking cloud and eagle's splendor listed in its creation but nothing about it suggests why you picked those spells.

Debby
    Stinking cloud is required for the nausea grimace. Don't know where splendor comes from.
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    eagle's splendor Might be justified by the skills???
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lochar View Post
    Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, and Tongues need to be included in the list of spells required to create.
    Forgot to add tongues, but as the others are cantrips I'm ignoring them. Various constructs can do things that aren't necessarily mentioned in the making.

Is it possible for a creator to still see through it's eyes if it's gained independence?
    Yep, that's where the vial of tears comes in. Will elaborate.

Need to make note that True seeing also ignores the miss chance.
    True Seeing automatically sees through illusions, but I guess some have to be reminded of it.

There is supposed to be a surprise face in there... and eagle's splendor is to account for such a high charisma score.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Perfect for my current campaign,

Thanks!
    Logo by Serpentine

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Cost is far too low for its abilities. I recommended 405,600 gp and 8000 xp and a cost to buy at 811,200 over at WotC site and I stand by it.

Debby

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Amazing, I am definitely stealing this. Kudos.
    To know that just one life has breathed easier because you have lived, that is to have succeeded.

Wonderful Faithatar by smuchmuch

My meager homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    Chivalry (n): A willingness to find excuses to beat people up.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

Perhaps the price is low but I wouldn't want the things to be so expensive that they were only legendary items. Having a few around, some of them neglected, rogue or forgotten, is a great plot device.

Party wealth is probably the most variable element from one DM to the other. Some of the pricing issues may simply be that the PCs are too wealthy and likely would retire if they were role 'real people'.

405k would give them the market cost of 4 rings of 3 wishes. I just don't think they'd ever get made. It would price them far above their utility.

What I wouldn't mind would be a limit on "Eyes of the Maker". Perhaps it might require a 1st level spell slot to function. Maybe if you burn a 2nd level spell slot you might deliver a short message through the construct. Duration wouldn't be important, IMHO, but I don't think it should be free or there is too great a chance of abuse. Even from a DM's perspective I'd like the NPC with some of these to be exhausted or preoccupied if they use them.

I think its a great monster.

Sigurd
    Logo by Serpentine