New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Circle of Life's Red Hand of Doom IC Thread

Auran did not sigh at the elder's levity. His duty weighed heavily upon his heart, but seeing them jest amongst themselves was a reminder to Auran of what he fought for. It was not yet time to despair, he told himself, but that clock was winding down.

"Unfortunately, patience is not a luxury we can afford, honorable Speaker. It sounds like the Vale and the Seawall Pass are the first places we should scout."

The dragonborn turned to his erstwhile comrades.

"Let us enjoy our supper, then retire early," he said. "It would be best if we left well before the first light of dawn..."

Looking back to the speaker, he queried. "Can you spare any horses for the three of us?" Auran indicated himself and the siblings. "We'll be able to cover more ground that way..."

Spoiler
    Show

So, when our original DM Fury of Metal knocked us back down to 5th and I lost flight I actually purchased a horse and wrote it down on my sheet, but at the start of the game I forgot it, so haven't had one yet. I figure asking the Speaker for one is better than a Varsuvius "pop" in.

If we can get one or two for the spellscales even better. If not, they can double up with Faien and I, since we'll be dismounting in combat anyhow.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Faien nods to the Speaker's reply, his tone unchanging. "Contact your allies and inform them of the situation. We will not find the hobgoblins easily ourselves, and should we not prove lucky, it would be best to have a secondary method. I am concerned less with finding the raiding parties than with finding where they keep their supplies, at the moment; they may well be foraging, but even in this forest, if their numbers are as great as they sound, that would not likely suffice, or would take too much of their time. Someone must be giving them orders to keep them this well organized, and it is that one I wish to deal with."

At Auran's professed enthusiasm, Faien only sighs. "Can you see better in the dark than a hobgoblin, Sir Sol, or can your powers grant us that ability? If not, then festina lente, as the old Galifar would say. Scouting the Vale is a large proposition; we will make no progress searching these woods at night, and if we are to offer ourselves up as bait to lure our targets, then it would not be wise to give them unnecessary advantages."

Spoiler
    Show
    I'd been wondering where you left your horse.

Anyway, it's not really practical, doubling up. Faien's only got a light horse, he wears full armour, he does fight from the saddle sometimes, and riding two to a horse is a stretch at the best of times.
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

3. - Top - End - #123
    Troll in the Playground

Auran held open his palm and a golden light sprang forth there.

"I can light our way. I do not suggest we search the woods at night, however we should take to the road at the latest by the first light of dawn. I'll be early to bed and early to rise then, to have performed my devotions prior to heading out. In the meantime, I would be happy to take stock of your defensive situation, Speaker Wiston, and a tour of Drellin's Ferry."

Spoiler
    Show
    Yes I know I'm a spontaneous caster, but I figure he still wakes in the morning to pray/meditate.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

One corner of Faien's mouth curves upward slightly, although there is little in the motion to remind one of a smile. "A light in the dark is a mark for a shaft, and eyes on a torch are blind to all beyond. When you traverse unfriendly terrain, worry about lighting your foes' way, not your own. We can leave early, certainly, but we will wait for the sun."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

"If you insist." the dragonborn answered, quaffing the last of his water.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Bugbear in the Playground

Griffon

Vaeri watches as the Magistrate and Auran argue over when to leave. Once a decision seems to be made, she rises.

"If that seems that," she says, I'm for a bath and bed. I will see you all in the morning.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: She'll find the baths, take one and then find her room. (I am fine with handwaving all of the above until the next morning unless you need something to happen at night
    .)

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

The Speaker nods solemnly as decisions are made, and he motions one of the guards forward. "Have word sent to Avarthel. Explain the situation to him, and suggest that we would appreciate it if he and his...friends...would start searching the area for hobs." The guard's eyes flick toward you all, but both guards seem confident by now that you aren't a threat and so aren't going to protest the Speaker sending one of them away. He clasps one fist to his chest and gives a short bow, then jogs out the door and down the road.

Turning back to you, he smiles down at Vaeri in a grandfatherly fashion. Torval may be a strong leader, but it is obvious he cares for his people and has a soft spot for young ones. "After a long, hard day of travel with another one ahead, I don't blame you, my dear. I wish I had the time for a nice long bath to get away from the world for a while. Suppertime is in an hour or two around these parts, but I'm sure Gausler can send up a small plate of something tasty so you don't go hungry...?" At the bartender's nod, Wiston continues, "Excellent. Now, about those horses...though normally mounts are too dear to lend to outsiders, we can indeed spare three horses thanks to their owners' passing in the raid I mentioned. I'll have those sent here tonight, and they will be groomed and ready before you leave in the morning. A small donation for their prior owners' relations would be appreciated, of course."

The Speaker levers himself to his feat with his cane, waving off assistance from the remaining guard. "Sir Paladin, if you and your companions would like to take a gander at the defenses while the young one relaxes, I'll have our Captain of the Guard give you the grand tour; you should be able to take stock of everything and be back in time for supper."
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

"Of course Speaker..." Auran opened up a concealed pouch within his voluminous cloak and counted out 9 pieces of platinum.

"I believe this should cover my mount, riding gear, and a little extra. Once we have finished our meal here, I shall convene with your Captain. Just tell me where to meet him."
    Last edited by TekHed; 2012-09-08 at 10:02 PM.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

"Holy--!" The guard's eyes widen comically at the sight of the platinum pieces, and he leans closer involuntarily to get a better look. The Speaker merely nods appreciatively and sweeps them into a belt pouch. "Thank you, I'm sure that will be appreciated. The Captain is likely at the stables this afternoon, inspecting her troops; we have plenty of time," he says, and you pass the rest of the mealtime with small talk about the weather, local crops, and other nothings, and introductions are made for everyone.

When everyone has finished--including the guard, Wilhelm, whom the Speaker insists join you given that there won't be any threat to the Speaker's life during the few remaining minutes of the meal--the serving girls clears out the plates and the Speaker prepares to leave.

Auran and Faien

Those of you who follow Speaker Wiston take a leisurely stroll down the road into town. The fields are to your right as you head towards the river, with a forest ahead of you. The Speaker mentions that you'll have to cross the river with the ferry that gave the town its name in order to get to the stables, but before you reach the banks you are interrupted by a tall, muscular armored woman striding towards you. "Ah, Captain, good to see you. I presume Arthur told you we were coming?"

"Yessir. He stopped by the armory on the way to see Avarthel, mentioned we had some outsiders with news and that one mentioned wanting to look around the defenses. Figured you'd send them my way, so here I am." "Wonderful, wonderful. What a responsible young man. Now, Soranna, I'd like you to meet Sir Auran Sol of Aerenal and Magistrate Faien Illimis of Karrnath, the outsiders Arthur mentioned. Gentlemen, this is Captain Soranna Anitah, Captain of the Guard of our town and retired Brelish Field Marshal."

Soranna slips off a gauntlet and extends her hand to each of you. "Pleasure. Karrnath, huh? Not exactly a friend of Breland. Competent army, though. Very disciplined. I like that. Though it's quite a trek for a Karrnathi to make it all the way down here." Her manner is businesslike and somewhat abrupt, but still polite, and she throws Torval a salute as he turns to leave. As she motions for you to follow her back toward the ferry, she pulls out a large sheet of parchment and unrolls it to reveal a map of the town. She points out a few landmarks and begins to explain the layout of the defenses as you examine it, and answers any questions you have.

Spoiler
    Show

If Roni and Vaeri have any questions about the town or the map, post them in the OOC and I can answer them there or Auran or Faien can ask them instead.

Soranna points out the entrances to the town, where quick sketches of guard posts have been added in recently. She explains that Drellin's Ferry has only 30 regular soldiers, so since the raids started she's raised 102 militia members--almost a tenth of the town's population--and each guard post holds one regular and six militia members at all times. More militia members roam the forest and fields, and even patrol the roads if they have a hint of incoming trouble. They're relatively well-armed and -armored for an out-of-the-way town, but they don't exactly have military-quality gear for everyone.

Roni and Vaeri

Those of you who stay behind are handed the heating stones the serving girl mentioned earlier from behind the bar and shown to your room. Each of you receives your own small but clean and well-lit room, and as promised there is a small washroom off to the side with a small tub inset in the floor. The girl--who introduces herself as Dulanna, once she gets over her shyness around strangers--shows you how to work the pumps to fill the sink and the bath and gives you the command word for the heating stones, then withdraws downstairs.

When placed in the water and activated, the heating stones glow a cozy orange and heat the water to a comfortable temperature. The scent of wildflowers fills the room, and the dust and mud from the day's travel disappears from you, your clothes, and the rest of your gear. A tiny rubber ducky appears in the bath with a soft plop, fairly crude and obviously magically-formed but cute and lovable nonetheless. You can sit and soak and ignore the outside world for a few hours.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm assuming Roni would rather relax than walk around town; if he wants to be on the tour, let me know and I'll edit things to suit.

Show

I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

"Pleased to meet you, Captain Anitah." Faien removes his gauntlet and takes the offered hand with the same slightly distant politeness he seems to assume for any official introductions. "This is indeed somewhat out of the way; my business took me to Sharn, and chasing these raiders has become something of an unexpected detour on the return trip."

Faien examines the map quickly, getting an idea of the immediate area. "It seems the defenses are well in hand. You are well supplied with archers, I hope? There are few approaches they could hope to gain from, save the river itself; I suppose that is why they have contented themselves with attempting to isolate you here. From which road did the first raid come?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

11. - Top - End - #131
    Troll in the Playground

Auren did not remove his mithral gauntlets, or take the hand, but rather bowed instead. "At your service, and please, Auran will do. As I keep saying I'm a paladin, not a knight. No monarch has bestowed upon me such station, and my jurisdiction is simply to uphold the law and root out evil wherever it hides."

Turning to examine the map he followed up Faien's appraisal with an "Indeed. It seems you have done well with your resources. One element you might consider... This small islet here near the bridge could be turned into a fort, to defend the bridge and the river's approach to it."

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

"Plenty of archers, don't worry. Being right on the Darguun border, every man, woman, and child in this town has some training with the bow or sling," the Captain says, obviously proud of the townspeople's skills. "The Seawall Mountains are southeast of here, both of the eastern roads meet up with two other roads to form the Seawall Pass into Darguun." She points out both eastern roads, then taps the stand of trees between them. "Very heavy foliage here. The first few raids came in that way, they usually do, but we had a few come up past the stables near the south road and even one from the west road. Almost never happens, really, they usually stick with the eastern approach."

At Auran's suggestion, she shakes her head and taps the two lines across the river. "No bridge to guard. The bottom lines are the ferry, that's just a bunch of cables and the ferry itself. Can't see it from here, but the top set are just the remains of an ancient bridge here. The stone columns prevent too-large river traffic, but that's it. Fishermen use the islet for fishing and crabbing anyway, construction there would drive them away. We have stationed some militia members there, though; no hobs that way so far."

Show

<Snip>

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Faien frowns, rubbing his chin. "As I'd thought, they seem to have a careful and skilled commander. All of this speaks to a concerted effort to isolate the town and avoid retribution. Attacks from every direction, every route we can think of guarded... I wonder if perhaps we ought to simply scout the other roads for further ambushes and attempt to take prisoners for interrogation. They would seek to avoid letting word of their activities get out, lest their targets stop arriving - although of course that will happen eventually anyway."

Turning to the Captain, he waves a hand out to the side. "What think you? I have no formal military training myself; can you discern any pattern to these attacks that might lead us to a base of operations?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

14. - Top - End - #134
    Troll in the Playground

"So, all roads lead to Darguun." Auran mused. "The speaker mentioned the Seawall pass as a likely place to check, and also mentioned Elsir Vale as a likely place to start searching. How far away is it, and in what direction?"

15. - Top - End - #135
    Firbolg in the Playground

Roni Quickwing

After his soak, Roni changes into the luxurious robe he makes sure to keep tucked in the bottom of his pack. Just because one lived like a vagabond didn't mean he had to dress like one, now did it?

He pulls a harp from his pack and begins playing it, plucking out a delicate melody. There was a song he had heard in his dreams; it began a few years back, but it had become a recurring theme--equal parts poignant, haunting, and triumphant. Try as he might, he had as of yet been unable to capture its essence...but that didn't stop him from trying.

Perform Strings - (1d20+15)[18]
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

16. - Top - End - #136

Griffon

Vaeri spends enough time in the water to wash out all the dust and grime from several days travel from beneath, between and beyond her scales. Washing her white blond hair, she takes the time to put it up in elaborate braids as well as paint her talons and eyes.

Once she felt, well...normal again, she returned down the stairs to the bar area. She asks for a drink at the bar. Then finding a space in a corner, she digs out a book from her pack and starts to read, sipping on the drink and listening to the random conversations from the bar.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: hoping her carrying a random book is not too unusual!

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

Auran and Faien

"More like all roads lead away from Darguun," the Captain replies with a very un-lady-like snort of amusement. "Nothing against goblinoids, but if I never set foot in that country again it'll be too soon. No, Magistrate, no pattern specific enough to pinpoint their origin. Tactically, they're predictable enough that until the big push at the end there we figured out good ways to hold them off after a raid or two, but strategically they've kept us guessing. Nasty little buggers have dozens of ways to scuttle through the Seawalls if they're coming through that way, and plenty of forest to hide in if they're coming from the north or south. We can probably rule out somewhere west, since hiding it there and getting enough hobs across the river to attack from the east as many times as they have without being spotted would be damn near impossible."

Soranna rubs her chin a bit at Auran's question. "North of here, maybe a handful of miles. The Vale's the area between the Dragon's Crown to the West and the Seawalls to the east, so it's a few score miles across that way, and it goes all the way up near New Cyre, over a week's travel. Not that the hobs'd be that far from here, but that's a lot of land to hide in. Speaker's right, good place to look, but if it's just the four of you looking you'll want to narrow it down more than just 'look around the Vale'." She shrugs in sympathy. "Too bad you couldn't take anyone alive. Any survivors that could answer questions would be invaluable for that."

Vaeri

By the time you return downstairs, a few regulars have trickled in, and groups of twos and threes have formed around the common room. The conversation is quiet and subdued--not just due to a lack of volume, but to a general feel of resignation and apathy in the air. The conversations center around the hardships of the season: one half-elf says he won't be able to pull in a full harvest by the usual time this year after one of his farmhands was killed in the raid; two women commiserate over the lack of news from nearby towns, wishing that Sivis would set up an outpost here for faster communication with their friends and relatives; a few younger men grumble about the fact that a lack of merchants coming through means the smiths in town will have to forgo their normal craft to make more weapons and armor, and with Morlin (presumably a smith) doing that there'll be no one to make more horseshoes for the workhorses.

The room grows quiet and every head in the room turns to look as you find yourself a chair; a well-dressed non-human lady from out of town isn't exactly a common sight, after all. Still, even such a sight can't cut through the haze of despondence, and they soon return to talking. There is one there who shows some curiosity, though. When you've gotten halfway through your drink and several chapters into your book, you notice a small pair of boots fidgeting in front of you and look up from your reading to see young Arton standing there, staring curiously at you and nervously wringing his hands.

When he notices you looking at him, he jumps a little. "Oh! Uh...hi. I'm, uh, my name's Arton. Arton Cooper. What's your name?" Before you can respond, he takes a deep breath and rushes on: "Why do you have scales on your face? Is your mom a dragon? My dad said your mom's probably a dragon. Did you really kill a hundred hobgoblins all by yourself? Do you have any stories to tell about your travels? You're, uh, you're really pretty." The boy blushes at that last bit and stammers to a halt.

Show

<Snip>

18. - Top - End - #138

Roni tries with all his might to recall the full beauty of the song he had heard once, long ago, but it alludes his grasp. Sometimes he felt as if he was trying to hold a stream of water or the love of a good woman--this song seemed equally intangible and difficult to quantify. Was it the meter, the melody, the underlying harmonies? No, it was the emotion behind it: dramatic without veering into melodrama, heartfelt but not heartbreaking. With a sad sigh, he tucks away his instrument and heads down to the bar.

Roni is impressed to see Vaeri flirting with one of the locals. For a moment, he has in mind to scare the boy away from his kid sister, but then he takes a second glance at the situation: his sister was hardy a kid anymore. Instead of a girl, she was becoming a woman, and a hero at that! Roni had dragged her into more nefarious dealings through no will of her own, but now here the two of them were, fledgling do-gooders making company with a holy warrior and a lawmaker. Roni shakes his head for a moment at the improbability of it all before sitting at a corner of the bar far from Vaeri's table. He quietly orders a glass of honey mead and sips it as he watches his sister's interaction with Arton. Should he catch her glance, he winks gently to let her know that he's staying out of this one unless she feels the need to bring him into it.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

"Indeed, it would have been. Had I realized the scope of the problem, I would have been more careful, but at the time I thought them common bandits, and I could not catch up to those who fled." Faien sighs, letting his hands fall to his sides. "We should start with the roads, then, come the morrow; perhaps the south road on the east side? Isolating another blockade and taking some prisoner will likely be more effective than simply searching on our own."

"For now, I believe I shall return to Gausler's. I have walked enough for one day."
    Faien nods to Roni and Vaeri as he returns, heading to his room to take advantage of the baths before supper. For all that he avoided mentioning the matter, his leg was not suited to long periods of walking, even on the occasions when he reinforced it with his shaping, and the heated water of the bath is a welcome relief. He dresses in a simple, but clean, set of trousers and buttoned shirt of earthen colours, and takes a few minutes to wipe the accumulated dust of the last few days from his armour before neatly arranging the pieces against the wall to air out the padding and returning to the common room.
    Last edited by Sallera; 2012-09-14 at 09:35 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

20. - Top - End - #140
    Troll in the Playground

Auran nodded. "Thank you for your time Captain. Rest assured, we shall do our best. Continue your fortifications. We leave at dawn upon our quest."

After taking his leave, Auran returned to the inn, and made his way quietly to his quarters.

After shutting the door, he sighed, fighting the urge to collapse into a lean upon the wall. His armor felt heavy with the weight of his duty. He leaned his longspear, warstar and shield against one of the walls, then set about removing gauntlets, greaves, and breastplate. Each one in turn he cleaned meticulously, pulling out some polish from within his rucksack.

As he finished, the tools of his purpose gleaming back at him, he caught his reflection in the mirror-shined surface of his breastplate. Reaching up with one golden scaled hand he touched talon to cheek, the face that was not his own. Gone were his fair features, the high regal cheekbones, the elegantly pointed ears. It was the face of a dragon which stared back at him, fierce and regal in it's own way, yet alien. Even were he to return to his ancient homeland, there would be no one to recognize him.

Pushing the melancholy of his thoughts aside, Auran set about the chore of cleaning the rest of himself, bringing the same loving attention to his scales as he had his vestments. He may be an elf no longer, but he still had elven pride.

Once his ablutions were complete, the dragon-born returned down the stairs. Although he was in no great mood for socializing, it was perhaps best to discuss their plans for the next day before retiring to rest.

21. - Top - End - #141

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    "Oh! Uh...hi. I'm, uh, my name's Arton. Arton Cooper. What's your name?" Before you can respond, he takes a deep breath and rushes on: "Why do you have scales on your face? Is your mom a dragon? My dad said your mom's probably a dragon. Did you really kill a hundred hobgoblins all by yourself? Do you have any stories to tell about your travels? You're, uh, you're really pretty." The boy blushes at that last bit and stammers to a halt.
    Vaeri smiles as the boy stumbles through his questions. She carefully closes her book and looks at him, then nods toward a chair.

She places her chin on her hand and tilts her head as she looks at the young man.

"My name is a Charivaeri Quickwing. My mother was not a dragon; she was human like you. My father, myself and my brother are all spellscales. True Dragons are rare creatures that are not often seen." She pauses and catches Roni's wink.

"I didn't kill 100 hobgoblins by myself. I barely killed one." she says, as she looks seriously as the young boy. "As for stories of my travels," she shakes her head, "You would be better to ask my brother, he is the story teller. As for me, I would tell you that I would be just as happy to curl up in front of a good fire with a good book than travel the length and breadth of Breland."

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Roni and Vaeri

Arton plops down in the offered chair and says, "'Spell-scales'? So you're made of magic or something?" The boy scrunches up his nose as he tries to puzzle that out, missing Vaeri's wink to Roni. Then, after she explains: "Aw, killing a hundred hobs would be cooler." He quickly adds "But even killing one means you're pretty tough!" in an earnest tone, as if trying very hard not to offend her. "My pa killed two hobs, once, and my older brothers have all killed a couple goblins. I'm not allowed to fight yet, but I practice with my sword every day after lessons! Well, except when me and Silas go fishing instead. Or when I go swimming with Tor. But every other time I practice every day, and I'll be a warrior too someday!"

Arton is quiet for a moment, searching for something to say, when he catches sight of Roni. "Hey! You're a spell-scales too! You must be her brother! Did you kill any hobs? She said you're a good storyteller, do you have any stories to tell?" He looks hopefully at Roni, putting on his best puppy-dog eyes, though he keeps darting glances at Vaeri.

Auran and Faien

The Captain says she'll plan for an expedition tomorrow morning and dismisses you with a polite nod. The serving girl is ready to escort you to your rooms when you return to Gausler's, and on your way up the stairs you pass Vaeri sitting in the corner, reading quietly.

By the time you've finish making yourselves presentable and return to the common room, Roni has joined Vaeri and she has stopped reading. The messenger boy from earlier is sitting across from the spellscales, muddy boots dangling as he swings his legs back and forth, and he's talking loudly about something involving hobgoblins. When you get closer you can hear him asking Roni to tell him a story and staring hopefully at the bard.

Show

<Snip>

23. - Top - End - #143
    Troll in the Playground

Auran grinned a toothy-fanged smile and pulled up a chair, spinning it around so he could sit backwards on it and give his wings a chance to stretch out a bit.

"Yes, Master Quickwing, let us hear a tale or two..."

24. - Top - End - #144

Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Arton is quiet for a moment, searching for something to say, when he catches sight of Roni. "Hey! You're a spell-scales too! You must be her brother! Did you kill any hobs? She said you're a good storyteller, do you have any stories to tell?"
    Roni's eyes light up, as he could never pass up an opportunity for the spotlight...now matter how small the audience or how young its members. "Well, Arton, everyone's got stories. Think of your life as one big book. Each big thing that happens to you is a chapter, and every day's a page. Even though you and I may have less pages than some," he says with a nod to Auran, "we've all got stories. Allow me to share one of my more recent pages..."

Roni proceeds to tell the tale of how the Quickwings met the dragonborn. He sets the tone, introduces Gavin as a proper villain, and has the boy on the edge of his seat. Roni raises his fingers in front of his face to give a visual impression of the shifter's awful fangs, and holds up a hand with fingers askew in an attempt to mimic his horrible claws. The bard brings the tale to its climactic point: a powerful spell has had no effect on the tough, and Vaeri's life is in danger. Of course, Roni strategically leaves out the part where he weeps.

In a first for Roni in the telling and Vaeri in the hearing, the tale does not end with an inflated account of the elder Quickwing's heroic exploits. Instead, he tells of how Auran swooped in to rescue the two of them. The draconic storyteller stands tall and puffs his chest as he does his best impression of Auran, causing the others to laugh at its accuracy while the Dragonborn nods in assent. Roni tells of how Auran bought them precious time to escape and how they met again in secret, but leaves out any mention of the rod they're hunting. As the story draws to a close, he narrows his eyes a bit so Arton know's he's serious. "You see, my young warrior," he says to the boy, "anyone can kill. The true heroes, however? They're the ones that save people. And I think you can grow to be much more than a warrior; I think you can grow to be a hero just like ours."

Roni ends his story with a glance and a smile at Auran. It felt odd telling a story that had a moral beyond his own greatness, but it was a feeling of strange satisfaction. Oftentimes, his tales were nothing more than tools to impress those of high station or women with whom Roni wished to share a bed. There was something about telling a true story that was much more visceral, difficult, and, well...authentic.

Perform Storytelling - (1d20+15)[29] (if all Perform skills are grouped together)
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2012-09-18 at 08:23 AM.

25. - Top - End - #145

Griffon

Vaeri smiles as Roni starts to tell the story of thier meeting with Auran. As the story progesses, she is surprised to find that he places the Dragonborn in the position of hero, she offers a rare proud smile at her brother.

"Nicely done, brother." She says softly.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Faien sits quietly in a nearby chair as Roni begins his tale. He hadn't yet heard the finer points of his companions' meeting, so the authenticity of the details was impossible to judge, but it made for an engaging story nonetheless. The boy - no, he really ought to stop thinking of him that way, demeanour or not - Roni had a good voice, and an effortless understanding of emotion, despite his claim to have no passion for anything other than music. Then again, story and song were once effectively synonymous, so perhaps it was not so surprising.

"You use your words well, when you put your mind to it," he comments from behind the elder spellscale. "Have you ever turned your hand to oratory?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

27. - Top - End - #147

Roni can't help but blush slightly at the words of recognition from Faien. Luckily, his rosy scales help to conceal his embarrassment. "Nah," he dismisses the notion, "I never wanted to be like those windbags back at the University. Let me sit down and plunk out a few songs and I'll be happy as a clam; can't exactly sit around and improvise an oration, savvy?" The spellscale breaks into a yawn and stretches his arms high above his head. "Listen, I'm just about two blinks away from Dal Quor. I'm going to head off to bed, unless there's anything that can't want until morning..."

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Faien frowns slightly at yet another reminder of how driven people were by their essential natures, but keeps his peace and shakes his head. "No, nothing of note. We plan to scout the other roads out of town early tomorrow, so be ready."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Little Arton looks like he's going to break his neck listening to Roni's story. The boy stares at Roni with rapt attention as he spins his tale, looks over at Auran--who he hadn't noticed before--with eyes the size of dinner plates, taking in the dragonborn's strange and frightening appearance, looks back to Roni, steals a glance at Vaeri, looks over at Faien when the magistrate is mentioned, back to Roni, back to Vaeri...a boy in a Sharn sweets-shop wouldn't look half as excited as he does. He cowers away from Roni's evil cultist impression, cheers with glee when the hell hounds are defeated, laughs at the impersonation of his father, and when the story concludes with its moral, he sits there with a huge smile on his face.

As Arton sits there quietly thinking about the story, you notice that the whole tavern has discreetly turned to listen to the tale. The spell is quickly broken and everyone returns to their own conversations, but now there are smiles on several faces and the woeful slump is gone from most of their backs. Gausler comes over and thanks Roni for the story with a hearty slap on the shoulder, then tells the boy it's time for him to go home. "Awww! B-but Mr. Gausler, sir, just five more minutes, please?" The bartender chuckles and, pointing a finger towards a clock behind the bar, says, "I ain't throwin' ye out, boy, it's yer ma what's doin' that." Arton's eyes grow wide again, he hops up with a quick "Um, let's see, little hand on the seven, big hand on the...oh no! Ma's gonna kill me! Thanks for the story, Mr. Vaeri's Brother, sir!" and dashes out the door.

The rest of the patrons look like they'll be there for a while, though they're finishing their conversations and their dinner and the fire is beginning to die down.

Show

<Snip>

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

Faien lingers a little while longer, but as the silence stretches on, he eventually rises; perhaps all that needed to be said this day had been. "I will see you in the morning, then. Sleep lightly; we are technically in a town under siege, however well-hidden the lines may be."

Returning to his room, he follows his own advice, leaning his shield against the wall near the headboard and placing his boots next to it. Falling into bed fully dressed, he lies atop the covers, staring at the ceiling; the night was more than warm enough, even without the paladin's faded magic. With a final irritated sigh at the nature of everything he'd stumbled into, he clears his mind of everything but duty and plans for the morrow, and eventually drifts off to sleep.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei