Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Least Favorite Crossovers

What's your least favorite crossovers?

here's mine:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mega-crossover between everything with this twist: certain media names are treated differently from the rest of media names(usually as result of treating things like Folkores, Religions, Mytholgies, and fringe theories as fiction instead of real life) often for the reason anyone that has Powers other than 'Mundane' and/or PIS Powers that aren't New Powers as Plot Demands are can't be considered people/human, even when those with powers other than mundane ones are just as human as everyone else, this also makes Power upgrade forbidden, and/or this Match-up

what do you think about my least favorite crossover?
    Last edited by Masonicon; 2013-10-22 at 08:19 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Least Favorite Crossovers

I don't understand your example at all.

As a general rule, I dislike most crossovers. Even most crossovers within a comic universe, with the exception of team titles or characters who are long-established to have some sort of relationship within that shared universe.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

My least favorite crossovers are the ones where they toss a character from one universe into say, a video game, and then proceed to go through the entire normal storyline with no real changes other than perhaps a romance and a few snappy one liners. God that is just so stupid and pointless. Only slightly better are the mary sue crossovers where that one character proceeds to roflstomp his or her way through the story line. Somehow knowing exactly what to do at every step of the way.

My other least favorite crossover is the ones that make no sense. The justification for it is so weak that you have to literally blank the entire scene from your mind and pretend that something else happened instead. As one example, a naruto/xmen crossover. In this one, gambit is in konoha because reasons when he sees naruto getting attacked as a child and saves him. Within an hour, sarutobi has agreed to let this stranger take naruto from the village on nothing but the spoken promise to bring him back in 10 years to become a ninja. Not only that, he proceeds to hand gambit freaking REAMS of ninja scrolls, training techniques, jutsus, etc etc etc. Including stuff from the forbidden scroll like, surprise surprise, shadow clones.

Seriously. Thats all there is to it. "Sure foreigner I have never met before and know nothing about, you can take our village's jinchuriki to a far away land I have never heard of since you pinkie swore to bring him back. Here, take all my villages secret techniques and training methods too! Dont forget to write!"
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AstralFire View Post
    I don't understand your example at all.
    Why you don't understand My Example? maybe just because I finds my own example of Least Favorite crossovers can mind-rapes me to death from even merely thinking about it
    Last edited by Masonicon; 2013-10-22 at 09:03 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Masonicon View Post
    Why you don't understand My Example? maybe just because I finds my own example of Least Favorite crossovers can mind-rapes me to death from even merely thinking about it
    I mean this in the nicest possible way: Is English your second language? Because the way you structure complex sentences is a little odd, and I can't understand what you're driving at.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

I mean this in the nicest possible way: Is English your second language?
    yes!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Masonicon; 2013-10-22 at 10:41 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

Mega-crossover between everything with this twist: certain media names are treated differently from the rest of media names (usually as result of treating things like Folkores, Religions, Mytholgies, and fringe theories as fiction instead of real life) often for the reason anyone that has Powers other than 'Mundane' and/or PIS Powers that aren't New Powers as Plot Demands are can't be considered people/human, even when those with powers other than mundane ones are just as human as everyone else, this also makes Power upgrade forbidden, and/or this Match-up
    Okay! These are the parts that I have the hardest time understanding. The grammar mostly works, but the words and phrases you're choosing in translation don't quite fit.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

My least favourite crossover is Kingdom Hearts
    "Hex grids are the way forward! And slighty to the side..." - Studoku

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Anything involving Touhou and/or My Little Pony. Just something about those two franchises that makes me itch whenever I see them combined with other things.
    "It's not the Wild West anymore. You can't just clean up the streets with a gun... even though sometimes, that's exactly what's needed."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Pointless crossovers, when the worlds are just too different to make any sort of story work. MLP/SW would be a good example.

And DW/ST

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

I have to agree. From what I understand, Doctor Who thrives on its campy, low budget, very British Britishness, while Star Trek goes for a rather different tone.
    It's almost as silly as the TNG/X-Men crossover. Yes, that was a thing, and yes, I've read it. No, it wasn't very good. Yes, the obvious remarks on the resemblance between Xavier and Picard are mentioned, though it should be noted this happened before the X-Men films.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2013-10-23 at 02:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

I won't touch Fallout: Equestria with a ten-foot pole, does that count?

Of things I've actually read/played, I hate things that are lazy and don't consider all the fun implications of two settings combined together (or develop whatever story led to Merlin and Jafar having a wizard duel or whatever, even if the settings aren't combined)
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

13. - Top - End - #13

Am I the only one who does not understand the OP? Because everyone else is just carrying on...

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Am I the only one who does not understand the OP? Because everyone else is just carrying on...
    I only understood the subject line. That's straightforward enough.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

Gotta hate crossovering Superman with anyone. For the reasons obvious.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hyena View Post
    Gotta hate crossovering Superman with anyone. For the reasons obvious.
    I actually read a superman cross with btvs. Sorta. It was one of those halloween costume fics. Xander was slowly powering up like a kryptonian and it was having various interesting effects. You could also go with smallville and plop him in a magic heavy universe, or marvel. Im actually reading that right now. Smallville clark gets invited to join the xmen evolution cartoon crowd. Its actually on book 2 or 3 right now and is pretty cool. Yes he can roflstomp his way through a lot, but there are still a few who can match him at this stage.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Okay! These are the parts that I have the hardest time understanding. The grammar mostly works, but the words and phrases you're choosing in translation don't quite fit.
    in what you're try to understand, PIS is stands for "Plot Induced Stupidity"

18. - Top - End - #18

Okay, I think I may be able to follow part of this.

You don't like very large crossovers where "mundane" people functionally have superpowers thanks to plot, even though we're informed that they're mundane, meaning that the "mundanes" such as Batman perform better than they logically should.

Is that accurate?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Okay, I think I may be able to follow part of this.

You don't like very large crossovers where "mundane" people functionally have superpowers thanks to plot, even though we're informed that they're mundane, meaning that the "mundanes" such as Batman perform better than they logically should.

Is that accurate?
    Not really, what I tries to say is: anyone with any actual Superpowers are can't be considered people/human, even when they're just as human as everyone else
    Last edited by Masonicon; 2013-10-23 at 07:15 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

Not really, what I tries to say is: anyone with any actual Superpowers are can't be considered people/human, even when they're just as human as everyone else
    Could you give an example?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Could you give an example?
    This: http://www.pokegirls.org/

and here's one(if not most) of the golden example of my personal least favorite crossovers/match-up: http://www.narutoforums.com/showthread.php?t=936514

22. - Top - End - #22

...Okay, I give up. I don't understand that thread, and I... really don't enjoy reading this fanfic. Sorry.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IdleMuse View Post
    My least favourite crossover is Kingdom Hearts
    Probably because it's fans treats it as Yaoi Anime whilst ignoring it's Disney Characters and bashing it's female characters just because of Organization 13?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    I have to agree. From what I understand, Doctor Who thrives on its campy, low budget, very British Britishness, while Star Trek goes for a rather different tone.
    It's almost as silly as the TNG/X-Men crossover. Yes, that was a thing, and yes, I've read it. No, it wasn't very good. Yes, the obvious remarks on the resemblance between Xavier and Picard are mentioned, though it should be noted this happened before the X-Men films.
    Was it as bad as the Star Trek TOS/Legion of Superheroes cross over? Spock and Brainiac have a bromance, Vandel Savage fuses with Flint the immortal and wipes out some time streams...somehow, Q gives a shameless Deus ex machina, and the last 15 pages before the climax is spent hammering the Aesop that humans shouldn't go around conquering aliens. It's far duller than I'm making it sound.

Edit:
    Opening that fanfic was like browsing the necronomicon. The pain is not easily forgotten. That cross over..made about as much sense.

Okay, OP, do you mean you dislike when people who happen to have powers are treated as subhuman, or when a cross over reduces them to simply being nothing but their abilities?

It sounds like you dislike when characters are objectified for the author's purposes, but that's just my best guess.
    Last edited by Legato Endless; 2013-10-23 at 09:50 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Opening that fanfic was like browsing the necronomicon. The pain is not easily forgotten. That cross over..made about as much sense.

Okay, OP, do you mean you dislike when people who happen to have powers are treated as subhuman, or when a cross over reduces them to simply being nothing but their abilities?
    This is what exactly I mean: everything/everyone that has any Superhuman and/or Supernatural Powers are treated as Non-human, no matter how human they are(unless when the mechanics of those with powers are like this: at least all of his/her powers are from strictly technological Power Armor and Super Gadgets)
    Last edited by Masonicon; 2013-10-23 at 10:00 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

This is what exactly I mean: everything/everyone that has any Superhuman and/or Supernatural Powers are treated as Non-human, no matter how human they are(unless when the mechanics of those with powers are like this: at least all of his/her powers are from strictly technological Power Armor and Super Gadgets)
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ureIsANonHuman

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...antasticRacism

So, Cross overs that involve subjects like this? Especially when said characters are the same as everyone else besides their powers.
    Last edited by Legato Endless; 2013-10-23 at 10:29 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Yes, but with this twist: Everyone and everything that above Type 0 and 1 in Super Weight scale(unless when it's those that cheats into above Type 0 and 1 in Super Weight with 100% external and technological equipments that aren't Toku Style) are all treated as Non-Human, often by the (Crossover) verse's unique Laws of Physics

this may also prevents Characters from getting Power Upgrade that has to do with crossovers
    Last edited by Masonicon; 2013-10-23 at 10:40 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

I've thought that I understand the purpose of the thread. Now I'm not so arrogant.

29. - Top - End - #29

GnomeWizardGuy

Well, yes. For the topic in the OP, I do find it annoying when characters are retroactively given psudo-superpowers on the basis of being "really smart" or some such mundane excuses. Something along the lines of, say, Sherlock Holmes having the ability to see through illusions because he's a really good detective, or Mike Tyson able to punch through steel doors because he's a boxer. Or for anime, most slice-of-life shows getting put into Naruto and capable of learning/beating the super ninjitsu there. Or most of the Superman/Batman crossovers, where Batman can beat half a dozen super-powered world destroyers "because he's really smart and knows martial arts."

I'm not saying you can't have that sort of crossover, but there needs to be some reason for the super powered character to interact with the normal in a regular setting.
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

This thread reminds me of Amalgam comics (the limited run in the late/mid-90s where DC and Marvel did a brief crossover, only to make a new universe where characters literally melded and an entirely new universe was created.

One of the better cross-overs, if you ask me, especially since many of the Amalgam characters were pretty cool and/or properly silly.

Spider-Man (Ben Reilly) melded with Superboy to become Spiderboy
    Batman and Wolverine became Dark Claw
    Superman and Captain America became Super-Soldier
    Storm and Wonder Woman became Amazon

This is where the crossovers WORKED.

One of the few examples I can recall that I enjoyed.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Discord: Spacecamp-Logic-Yako
    Former Avatar by Ceika, which I have long since lost a copy of.