New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Animal Affinity

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Animal Affinity

Note: Classes that would give animal empathy (or whatever the druid ability is called) give this feat instead.
    Animal Affinity
    Benefit: You add 1/2 your level on ride and handle animal checks. These skills are always class skills for you and you gain 2 skill points per level that can only be used for those skills. You can also influence animals and magical beasts with an intelligence of 1-2 by using the Handle Animal skill, which works as diplomacy.

...and I've cleared out all the feats I wrote last night .
    Last edited by Westhart; 2017-11-11 at 12:04 PM.
    Homebrew: If it is mine feel free to PEACH and/or use it.

Extended Signature

Well, it seems that life has deposited me here, yet again. Hopefully this time I get to stay a while, as I intend on revising some old homebrew.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Animal Affinity

Quote Originally Posted by NothingAbnormal View Post
    Note: Classes that would give animal empathy (or whatever the druid ability is called) give this feat instead.
    Animal Affinity
    Benefit: You add 1/2 your level on ride and handle animal checks. These skills are always class skills for you and you gain 2 skill points per level that can only be used for those feats. You can also influence animals and magical beasts with an intelligence of 1-2 with diplomacy checks.

...and I've cleared out all the feats I wrote last night .
    1. I assume you meant "can only be used for those skills".
    2. Doesn't this remove the option of influencing "animals" upon encounter from the game altogether?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by nonsi View Post
    1. I assume you meant "can only be used for those skills".
    2. Doesn't this remove the option of influencing "animals" upon encounter from the game altogether?
    1. Fixed
    2. How so ?

Extended Signature

Well, it seems that life has deposited me here, yet again. Hopefully this time I get to stay a while, as I intend on revising some old homebrew.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

1. Fixed
    2. How so ?
    Handle Animal doesn't actually let you influence the attitudes of animals (in the way that wild empathy does), but if you're using this feat to replace wild empathy we can safely assume Handle Animal would be rewritten.

I really like this fix, allows for a Beastmaster type character who's not necessarily a "ranger" but still has power over animals.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by rferries View Post
    Handle Animal doesn't actually let you influence the attitudes of animals (in the way that wild empathy does), but if you're using this feat to replace wild empathy we can safely assume Handle Animal would be rewritten.

I really like this fix, allows for a Beastmaster type character who's not necessarily a "ranger" but still has power over animals.
    You can also influence animals and magical beasts with an intelligence of 1-2 with diplomacy checks.

So... Diplomacy still does right?

Extended Signature

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

You can also influence animals and magical beasts with an intelligence of 1-2 with diplomacy checks.

So... Diplomacy still does right?
    Presumably, but surely you want them to invest ranks in Handle Animal instead? Though I've no objection to the feat allowing otherwise.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by rferries View Post
    Presumably, but surely you want them to invest ranks in Handle Animal instead? Though I've no objection to the feat allowing otherwise.
    Changed it up, should be fine now.

Extended Signature

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

This is essentially diplomancer vs. animals. Is that intentional?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post
    This is essentially diplomancer vs. animals. Is that intentional?
    I use the giant's diplomacy fix, but yes, it does allow that... of course compare the wide range of diplomacy creatures vs animals (along with magical beasts with an int 1-2), and at the very least it is less powerful.

Extended Signature

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

The next time I make a character using a multiclass or gestalt or custom class ranger/druid/(wizard or sorcerer) blend, I'll remember to use this. (I've done four of these in the past; it's a theme I really like.)
    -- Joe
    “Shared pain is diminished. Shared joy is increased.”
    -- Spider Roninson
    And shared laughter is magical

Always remember that anything posted on the internet is, in a practical if not a legal sense, in the public domain.
    You are completely welcome to use anything I post here, or I wouldn't post it.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by jqavins View Post
    The next time I make a character using a multiclass or gestalt or custom class ranger/druid/(wizard or sorcerer) blend, I'll remember to use this. (I've done four of these in the past; it's a theme I really like.)
    Thanks . Tell me how it goes, I don't think it will affect game play too much.

Extended Signature

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Thanks . Tell me how it goes, I don't think it will affect game play too much.
    Honestly, I think it will affect game play very little, and may be a sub-optimal use of a feat. But it will be of enough use to make its color and RP value irresistible. (I frequently don't mind going sub-optimal in the name of fitting a character concept and the role playing flavor that I want.)
    -- Joe
    “Shared pain is diminished. Shared joy is increased.”
    -- Spider Roninson
    And shared laughter is magical

Always remember that anything posted on the internet is, in a practical if not a legal sense, in the public domain.
    You are completely welcome to use anything I post here, or I wouldn't post it.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by jqavins View Post
    Honestly, I think it will affect game play very little, and may be a sub-optimal use of a feat. But it will be of enough use to make its color and RP value irresistible. (I frequently don't mind going sub-optimal in the name of fitting a character concept and the role playing flavor that I want.)
    yeah, the main point was that druids etc get it as a bonus feat (in place of wild empathy) didn't think about others taking it too much honestly

Extended Signature