New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast

Thread: Echo Bazaar

1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Echo Bazaar

Quote Originally Posted by Ceric View Post
    Is this true? I thought it'd give a flat amount of change points rather than be dependent on your level. Never really checked, though.

Btw, I'm FelicityChase on Twitter if anyone wants more delicious friends.
    Ya know, I haven't really checked to be honest, I've just noticed that using a card when my quality is lower, seems to move the bar the same amount as when I use a card when the quality is higher, and if it moves it the same amount, it's a set % instead of a set #, which definitely makes it inherently more valuable the higher your quality is.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

The bar isn't always accurate (mine appeared to be a bit less than half full when I was 10 points out of 50 to my next level) but you can mouse over the quality picture next to the bar to see exactly how many more points you need.

Edit for clarification: When it shows "<Quality> is increasing..." after a storylet, wave over the little picture of the quality next to the progress bar. Not the ones that are always shown in your sidebar.
    Last edited by Ceric; 2011-10-06 at 06:16 PM.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, it seems most everyone here connected with twitter. Too bad for me.

Now, anyone who connected with a facebook account, or both, I'm Joel Ganson on facebook. There may be multiple people by that name, but I've got a poorly photoshopped green winged thing as an avatar there.

And **** that 40 actions/day economy. That would be so much nicer, being able to sell or buy daily actions to/from friends. I wonder how many echos an action would be worth ?
    Demilich avatar by Smuchmuch. Thank you VERY much!

Old Extended Signature, last updated in 2012
    Awright, Supagoof, that's just awesome. Thanks!
    Spoiler
    Show

Infernal avatar by Savana. Thanks!

Nude version by SmuchMuch.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by flabort View Post
    Well, it seems most everyone here connected with twitter. Too bad for me.

Now, anyone who connected with a facebook account, or both, I'm Joel Ganson on facebook. There may be multiple people by that name, but I've got a poorly photoshopped green winged thing as an avatar there.

And **** that 40 actions/day economy. That would be so much nicer, being able to sell or buy daily actions to/from friends. I wonder how many echos an action would be worth ?
    Hehehe. My actions are worth about an echo each, right now, just from the rewards I get for spending them. Probably significantly more, considering that each action also helps train my primary qualities.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ettin in the Playground

The bar isn't always accurate (mine appeared to be a bit less than half full when I was 10 points out of 50 to my next level) but you can mouse over the quality picture next to the bar to see exactly how many more points you need.

Edit for clarification: When it shows "<Quality> is increasing..." after a storylet, wave over the little picture of the quality next to the progress bar. Not the ones that are always shown in your sidebar.
    Oh, I don't even look at the sidebar anymore, I realized how terribly inaccurate they were within my 3rd or 4th day playing Echo Bazaar. No, I only look at the main bar, which is how I know what various challenges are worth in terms of change points. From what I've been able to tell by looking at the main bar(I will admit, I haven't actually checked the actual change points, I"ll have to do so if I can find a connected that's low enough that I haven't used yet, probably The Orient and Criminals if I ever get them), the Connected cards do fill a static amount of your bar, and again, that would indicate a percentage rather then a static number. I do agree though, more testing needs to be done, I'll keep a careful eye out for those kinds of cards tonight when I get my next batch of turns.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

Anyone else discover the "Fascinating...." glitch?
    Spoiler
    Show

I can start two "Seduce a..." paths, one hard, one easy, and build up a "Fascinating..." quality in the easy one, say up to 7, then use the same quality to complete the hard one . Sure, I don't get to build up my Persuasive or Watchful quite as much, but I get better rewards in the end.

Any other similar bugs?

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Anyone else discover the "Fascinating...." glitch?
    Spoiler
    Show

I can start two "Seduce a..." paths, one hard, one easy, and build up a "Fascinating..." quality in the easy one, say up to 7, then use the same quality to complete the hard one . Sure, I don't get to build up my Persuasive or Watchful quite as much, but I get better rewards in the end.

Any other similar bugs?
    Yeah, it's actually possible to do that with "[Any Quality]...", such as "Investigating..." and "Running Battle...", which has been pointed out as an exploit for one of the later steps in the Nemesis Ambition.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, I have an "Investigating" quality at like 10 because I use the one opportunity card that increases it a bunch whenever it pops up, on the off chance I need it eventually. Heh.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

Ok, So, I recorded a quality increaser at the cost of connections opportunity card. it was the 2nd Tomb Colonies one, My dangerous was 46+2, and was at 19 Change points. I gained 6 change points total, or 1/8th of my total bar(need 48 change points). 6 is pretty much two challenges, unless you get lucky and succeed two High-Risks in a row.

Now I just need to find another card and see if it gives 1/8th as well, or if it's a static 6.

Edit: Btw, what is the purpose of "The House of Chimes"? There is so much stuff to do in there, it would take me ages to sort through it all.
    Last edited by Starwulf; 2011-10-08 at 01:55 AM.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

No idea. It's s special place only those who are exceptional friends can go. As such there's no information about it on the Wiki.

11. - Top - End - #131

Anyone know good sources of rats on a string? My stats are Dangerous 39, Shadowy 50, Watchful 73, and Persuasive 84, but Watchful and Persuasive storylets don't usually give dead rats as prizes.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ettin in the Playground

Anyone know good sources of rats on a string? My stats are Dangerous 39, Shadowy 50, Watchful 73, and Persuasive 84, but Watchful and Persuasive storylets don't usually give dead rats as prizes.
    Dangerous challenges sometimes give out Dead Rats. Unfortunately, It's usually the lower ones, you might be out of luck for right now. I'm at dangerous 46+7, and I haven't seen a challenge since the mid-20's that gave any amount of rats on a string. Though, you might get lucky and get a rat infestation in your home! That'll net you a TON of rat's on a string while you try to get rid of the damn things ^^

edit: Also, Mystery solved! The Opportunity Cards that raise your qualities at the cost of connections is a straight static number. In a previous post, I tested our Dangerous, and found it to give a straight 6. I just used a Shadowy one, and it ALSO gave a straight 6, and my previous theory of it being 1/8th should have given me a 5(as my shadowy was at exactly 40).
    Last edited by Starwulf; 2011-10-09 at 12:09 PM.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

For the first option, the second, or the third?
    Or am I thinking of the wrong cards requiring connections?

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #134

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    Dangerous challenges sometimes give out Dead Rats. Unfortunately, It's usually the lower ones, you might be out of luck for right now. I'm at dangerous 46+7, and I haven't seen a challenge since the mid-20's that gave any amount of rats on a string. Though, you might get lucky and get a rat infestation in your home! That'll net you a TON of rat's on a string while you try to get rid of the damn things ^^

edit: Also, Mystery solved! The Opportunity Cards that raise your qualities at the cost of connections is a straight static number. In a previous post, I tested our Dangerous, and found it to give a straight 6. I just used a Shadowy one, and it ALSO gave a straight 6, and my previous theory of it being 1/8th should have given me a 5(as my shadowy was at exactly 40).
    Ah >> I spent the rat infestation cards on looting their hoards rather than killing them. It seemed the most profitable at the time.

Good to know!

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

For the first option, the second, or the third?
    Or am I thinking of the wrong cards requiring connections?
    I don't know about the third option, but I can confirm the first AND second of those types of cards both offer 6.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Troll in the Playground

Just started playing this recently myself. Been going Dangerous and Watchful for now, but I'm not that far along.

I'm on via both Twitter and Facebook as Thomas Chandler. Drop me a line.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm Starwulf on Twitter.

Hmm, I'm back in exile for my scandal AGAIN. there just isn't a reliable way of getting rid of it besides that church option, and if you fail it, you gain Scandal >< At least Nightmares, Wounds, and Suspicion has a damn potion you can buy for an echo to get rid of it.

On another note, I've made my first 100 echoes!! Well, In sellables anyways, I haven't actually sold it any of it yet, I'm just not sure what in the world I want to buy. I could either save up a bit more and buy a +3 Watchful item, or buy a couple of +1 shadowy and persuasive items, or finally get my foot slot filled with a +2 Dangerous item, giving me +9 to it. Just not sure....(dangerous and watchful are my primaries, but I now actually have all of them within 6 of each naturally(not including bonuses). Going to raise my Persuasive and shadowy to 45 each before I go back to doing Dangerous and watchful.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ettin in the Playground

Ironically, one of the most reliable ways to eliminate scandal is to just get exiled. At least then you can reliably chip off a point or two per action. I would probably recommend saving up for the bigger item, it'll be more cost-effective in the long run than buying little bonuses right now and upgrading them individually.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

Well, the major point of the "somewhere not nice" places is to remove the respective menace conditions. Downside being it's a huge speedbump in the meantime, though you should pick up whatever special stuff you can in each location.
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

The only "not nice" place to really worry about is the State of Confusion (aka The Royal Bethlehem) which, as far as I know, reduces or eliminates your dreams.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, I'm at 140 Echoes now. Now to figure out what +3 Item I'd like to buy, lol.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aidan305 View Post
    The only "not nice" place to really worry about is the State of Confusion (aka The Royal Bethlehem) which, as far as I know, reduces or eliminates your dreams.
    Which, I might add, is thoroughly annoying. Also, if you're hanging on to any Opportunity cards, they wipe those out.

Anyhow, I'm waiting around for the Lapidary card to show back up again, as I have all my venom-rubies and sapphires and diamonds and the stick now.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    Which, I might add, is thoroughly annoying. Also, if you're hanging on to any Opportunity cards, they wipe those out.

Anyhow, I'm waiting around for the Lapidary card to show back up again, as I have all my venom-rubies and sapphires and diamonds and the stick now.
    Yeah, which really sucks. I had just dinged persuasive to 40, and I had been holding on to that Shroom racing card, when I got exiled and lost it >< Now I have to wait for it to show back up again :-(. Very frustrating. Oh well, I raised persuasive up to 45, and am going to take Shadowy up to 45 while I'm waiting for it to show up. Then I'm going to get watchful and dangerous to base 50(no modifiers), then persuasive and shadowy, so I have all 4 qualities at 50. After that, I probably won't touch shadowy/persuasive again until I have Dangerous and watchful at like 75-100. I'll be building up hastily scrawled notes and confident smiles the entire time though, since my buddy sends me invites for those all the time.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ettin in the Playground

So, I have like eight bottles of Black Wings Absinthe hanging around. Anyone want to share some?

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    So, I have like eight bottles of Black Wings Absinthe hanging around. Anyone want to share some?
    Oooh. Sounds interesting. I've been trying to figure out exactly what it does...

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    Oooh. Sounds interesting. I've been trying to figure out exactly what it does...
    It generally results in donning black cloaks and prowling the night.

Anyway, remind me your Twitter name? I'll send one your way.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

I am playersideblog.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ettin in the Playground

There you go!

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

I came across the most expensive Opportunity cad I've ever seen today. Needed 100 proscribed materials just to see it, and it required 10,000 of the damn things(or 500 echoes worth). It was, apparently, for "Connected: The great game" or something.
    Last edited by Starwulf; 2011-10-12 at 09:47 PM.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    I came across the most expensive Opportunity cad I've ever seen today. Needed 100 proscribed materials just to see it, and it required 10,000 of the damn things(or 500 echoes worth). It was, apparently, for "Connected: The great game" or something.
    Connected: The Masters, I believe, if it's the one I'm thinking of. ("A Libraryette for Mr. Pages")