New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40k RPGs General (Warhammer Fantasy RPG can come too)

Quote Originally Posted by Smeggedoff View Post
    Heck yeah teleportarium.
    Something else that has been pretty precious is the Repulsor shield, which [...], seems to be the only way of getting 2 shields for a sub cruiser ship.
    I don't see how. The Repulsor Shield Array is Cruisers only.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jaybird View Post
    T. The only book I would have real problems with in a game is Lathe Worlds - look at the Crimson Guard FFS with Witness of the Divine from Blood of Martyrs
    Fixed this for you. Also, how's "Ohh, I've got a power armor and a bolter on rank 1" balanced?
    English isn't my native. Sorry for all misunderstandings.
    Warning: This user is a powerplayer and a TYPE-Lunatic

Familiar summons YOU avatar by happyturtle

3. - Top - End - #93
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

How crossover compatible are Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, Black Crusade, Deathwatch, and Only War? Would it be worth picking up extra-system books (and by worth picking up, I mean I know someone I could weasel into letting me borrow them) for extra resources in the Rogue Trader game I'm running?

The Koronus Beastiary is nice, but not exactly super extensive.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

4. - Top - End - #94

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post
    How crossover compatible are Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, Black Crusade, Deathwatch, and Only War? Would it be worth picking up extra-system books (and by worth picking up, I mean I know someone I could weasel into letting me borrow them) for extra resources in the Rogue Trader game I'm running?

Dark Heresy is pretty safe to steal from, Deathwatch I'd probably rule out except for using the enemies for higher levels. Black Crusade and Only War is up in the air

5. - Top - End - #95
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

They first three have these nice comparisons XP-wise, although I still think that whatever single Space Marine can take out a band of Rogue Traders would suffer to face off and a cabal of Acolytes would die screaming, but that's just me. Know not the Black Crusade and Only War XP-comparisions.
    Youth and strenght alvays lose to age and treachery.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Dwarf in the Playground

Background, gear and creatures are pretty interchangeable, you have to be careful with psi powers from Dark Heresy and have a look at special qualities which exist in only one version .
    Most of the creatures which have been statted in more than one system are fairly similar.
    Converting PC's is bad as Dark Heresy PC's tend to be more powerful then for instance Deathwatch characters for the same XP value
    (Seriously my rank 8 Dark Heresy PC's are more than a match in combat for an equal number of Deathwatch starting PC's on less XP and in the Marines strong area)
    Its because they get the high value combat talants early some of which marines only get at higher ranks and they can get their important stats up to similar levels

7. - Top - End - #97

WolfInSheepsClothing

I recently finished a long running Crossover game which mixed up everything but Only War (as it wasn't out yet). There were basically two parties one a Rogue Trader and crew, the other Inquisitor and Cadre. Most players had a character in each, but not all and the parties would get fairly intermingled. In addition we had a Grey Knight Marine working with the inquisitor and a Eldar Harlequin (using rules I wrote) working with the Rogue Trader.

For opponents you can freely mix the books. Black Crusade creatures sometimes need some tweeking since there are some changes to the system, and you have to be very careful of the power level. I found it took me a long time to accurately judge how well the party could kill things (given the high power level of the game usually it was me being amazed that they would destroy everything in their path). In particular, I think the Horde rules from Black Crusade/Deathwatch can be added easily to the other games.

Gear is fairly easy to mix too. You have to be somewhat careful because some things have several different versions between games. For example, bolters in Rogue Trader, Dark Herasy, and Black Crusade are all different.

The big problem I had was characters. Rogue Trader characters in general were much less powerful. The Marine did well since they get cool Space Marine stuff, but the basic problem was that skills and talents cost nearly twice as much xp for Rogue Traders than Dark Heresy characters (and then Ascension level characters get even more stuff).

In all the game worked well. Now it was a high powered, fairly combat heavy game so other styles of play might be different. If you are going to mix things you do need to be able to make adjustments and rulings in places where the rule systems are different.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
    --Will S.

8. - Top - End - #98

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewmoreton View Post
    Most of the creatures which have been statted in more than one system are fairly similar.
    Daemons are a notable exception to this. Every game system stats them differently.

And yes, Dark Heresy PCs make ungodly powerful characters at higher levels, especially Ascension. A team of Throne Agents will, nine times out of ten, squish a Kill Team of similar experience into the ground. Especially if Primaris Psykers or Vindicares are involved. At least part of it is xp cost - an Acolyte will vary rarely pay more than about 300xp for even the nicest talents, while a Marine is looking at 200 or so for a lot of their base skills, and 500+ for actual talents.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

9. - Top - End - #99

Kobold

I wasn't planning on telling my party that I'm harvesting so much as flipping through for cool items and opponents, so this should work fine from what I'm hearing.

Alternating between Daemon stats from the four games might be an interesting way of keeping players on their toes (and reminding them that the great thing about chaos is that it's so CHANGABLE!)
    Last edited by shadow_archmagi; 2012-10-20 at 07:47 AM.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Dwarf in the Playground

I find the differing Daemon stats useful for the same reason it gives variety without me having to alter them a bit myself. The Greater Daemons are probably a bit much for anything less the an Ascended Inquisitor, Grey Knights or Elite Death watch Kill team preferably with heavy fire support

11. - Top - End - #101

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewmoreton View Post
    The Greater Daemons are probably a bit much for anything less the an Ascended Inquisitor, Grey Knights or Elite Death watch Kill team preferably with heavy fire support
    ...or a Rogue Trader with a lance weapon.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
    --Will S.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by a_humble_lich View Post
    ...or a Rogue Trader with a lance weapon.
    The Problem with a Lance strike is determining if the Daemon is still there when the strike arrives, if you are close enough to visually confirm then you probably died as well.
    Orbital Fire support is a firm favorite of my players for dealing with Daemons when it is available (then again when it is available it is a favorite solution to any problem )

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Iku Rex View Post
    I don't see how. The Repulsor Shield Array is Cruisers only.
    Dang, I'll have to check that/bring it to my ST's attention.

Still, two thumbs up for the teleportarium, makes hit & run a doddle
    Spoiler: Games I'm a part of
    Show

14. - Top - End - #104

Kobold

So, I threw a Rok at my players' Sword class frigate.

In retrospect, this may have been a poor choice. Particularly since the Rok rolled a Void Shield for its ORKY UPGRADE

I'm thinking the appropriate solution is to have a second Ork ship appear and offer to aid the PCs for an appropriate share of the fightin' and lootin'

Perhaps the Kaptin of said ship could even become a recurring NPC or something.
    Last edited by shadow_archmagi; 2012-10-22 at 09:22 AM.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

A Sword Frigate should be able to fly loop-de-loops around a Rok and stay well out of its firing arcs, shouldn't it?

16. - Top - End - #106

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    A Sword Frigate should be able to fly loop-de-loops around a Rok and stay well out of its firing arcs, shouldn't it?
    Rok Weapon Capacity: 3 Keel.

Keel weapons may fire in any direction.
    Last edited by Iku Rex; 2012-10-22 at 02:48 PM.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Rok Weapon Capacity: 3 Keel.

Keel weapons may fire in any direction.
    Never mind.

18. - Top - End - #108

Kobold

So, yeah. They could stay out of range and just wait until they score three degrees of success with their laser battery with its range of 9, but that's quite improbable (they don't have a dedicated gunbullets person, so they'd need to roll like a 2 in order to bypass the void shield and deal more than 20 damage) and also very difficult for them to do given the nature of the movement system

19. - Top - End - #109

So, yeah. They could stay out of range and just wait until they score three degrees of success with their laser battery with its range of 9, but that's quite improbable (they don't have a dedicated gunbullets person, so they'd need to roll like a 2 in order to bypass the void shield and deal more than 20 damage) and also very difficult for them to do given the nature of the movement system
    They only have a single battery?

20. - Top - End - #110

So, I threw a Rok at my players' Sword class frigate.

In retrospect, this may have been a poor choice. Particularly since the Rok rolled a Void Shield for its ORKY UPGRADE

I'm thinking the appropriate solution is to have a second Ork ship appear and offer to aid the PCs for an appropriate share of the fightin' and lootin'

Perhaps the Kaptin of said ship could even become a recurring NPC or something.
    You COULD do that or have the players board the enemy rok trying to hunt down and kill the biggest Ork on the thing. With the leader dead, the ship will hopefully start fighting itself as much as the stoopid umie vessel that all da boyz are confident they can deal with later.
    Many thanks to Z-axis for the great avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Saldre View Post
    you know whats worse than a regular Daemon-host? A Daemon-host with a Plasma Cannon.
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomLunatic
    "Eh. I do to 'Mechs what Simon does to American Idol contestants."

21. - Top - End - #111

Kobold

They only have a single battery?
    They have a second gun, but it's shorter range, so they'd take as much fire as they gave, and the Orks have far, far more hull integrity.

22. - Top - End - #112

*ahem*

So my Priest character did something stupid (deliberatly destroying a Rad Cleanser in front of a Tech Priest) and the other players are telling me that I should roll up a new character, because my current one is done for.

All right. To get a bit of revenge, I decided to go Radical. My GM told me in confidence Psykers make wonderful radicals, but I'd rather not step on our current psyker's toes. So instead, I thought up two character concepts, and I'd like to have your input.

(by the way, we have reached Ascension levels. Everything allowed except the Vindicare assassin).

Concept 1: An Adept coming from a corrupted chapter of the Schola Progenium. Has already a Daemon Patron with the background "I Know Thy Name". Would know all there is to know about cults, daemons, warp, psykers, mutants, xenos. Might as well be a competent Sorcerer, although I doubt I will be casting spells in front of my fellow players.

Concept 2: A Corrupted Noble Scum, leader of his own criminal organisation, have access to the most extreme sources for equipment and information, from cults to Xenos.

Any suggestion as to what kind of Talents, Alternate Careers or Ascension Paths to take?

23. - Top - End - #113

GnomePirate

Cikomyr, I guess that apology isn't an option ?

As for the second question, why not both ? Leader of criminal organization with "patron" that isn't particularly powerful, with sorcerous ace up his sleeve. And ways to deal with "unrealistic" demands from your "patron".

This way you could be ruthless, achem as if anyone with that much experience isn't ruthless, mastermind crime lord who isn't held back by any concerns and acts with pragmatism.

Both your concepts would benefit IMO from everything that helps survive, thus talents improving dodging, accuracy and quickness seem mandatory, regardless what weapon you will use. Second concept, when he have to fight his way out of hairy situation is already desperate ... he usually have minions to take incoming projectiles for him.

White cat battle-servitor comes to mind, but that's just aesthetics.

Both your first and second option will benefit from ability to tell lies and to make people believe his own lies different truths. Especially if Inquisition comes and wants answers ... to have plentiful and realistic enough scapegoats to take blame while you dissapear from the radar.

24. - Top - End - #114

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fearan View Post
    Fixed this for you. Also, how's "Ohh, I've got a power armor and a bolter on rank 1" balanced?
    Worse then a hellgun, carapace, and a 1d5+3 pen 4 knife with potential for pen 8?

25. - Top - End - #115

Worse then a hellgun, carapace, and a 1d5+3 pen 4 knife with potential for pen 8?
    *is wondering how on earth you can afford that sort of stuff at Rank 1*

My scum counted himself lucky to own a jacket and poor quality shotgun...
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

26. - Top - End - #116

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Maugan Ra View Post
    *is wondering how on earth you can afford that sort of stuff at Rank 1*

My scum counted himself lucky to own a jacket and poor quality shotgun...

The Crimson Guard alternate rank for Guardsman 1 STARTS with all that.

I've ruled it to start at Techpriest 5 and continue using the Techpriest characteristic advance costs (because CG gets WS, BS, T, and Int ALL as cheap advances )

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

well lets see……

I'm guessing this depends highly on where did you find the hellgun/what kind of hellgun it is. The D'Laku Hellgun for example is 500 thrones

and depends on how much carapace you can afford, since carapace armor comes in pieces, the full set being 3750 thrones total.

as for a knife, I'm guessing thats some sort of upgraded thing, but lets focus on on the other two impossible things for now.

now lets find say, a background or something that gets you a lot of Thrones.
    like Noble Born, be a Cleric and you get a lot of Thrones right there, 300X2= enough to pay for D'Laku Hellgun, but an inefficient use of money. don't see how it pays for the rest though. though, there may be a certain kind of cheaper carapace armor available outside my knowledge. or a career path I don't know of.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd say, yes. Power armor, man, power armor. Also, it's not a hellgun, it's integratted hellgun
    English isn't my native. Sorry for all misunderstandings.
    Warning: This user is a powerplayer and a TYPE-Lunatic

Familiar summons YOU avatar by happyturtle

29. - Top - End - #119

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Concept 1: An Adept coming from a corrupted chapter of the Schola Progenium. Has already a Daemon Patron with the background "I Know Thy Name". Would know all there is to know about cults, daemons, warp, psykers, mutants, xenos. Might as well be a competent Sorcerer, although I doubt I will be casting spells in front of my fellow players.

Concept 2: A Corrupted Noble Scum, leader of his own criminal organisation, have access to the most extreme sources for equipment and information, from cults to Xenos.

Any suggestion as to what kind of Talents, Alternate Careers or Ascension Paths to take?
    I like the first one, since it seems like you have put more into it than the other.

Also:
    Anyone have players who aren't familiar with the 40k universe? And how does that affect your game? Do they last long?
    Haggis is Sheep's stomach filled with its intestines.

My blog "Awkward GM"

30. - Top - End - #120

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by DontEatRawHagis View Post
    Anyone have players who aren't familiar with the 40k universe? And how does that affect your game? Do they last long ?
    One player in my PbP group proven to be such. He fled from battle and we all died with the Inquisitor. Unfortunately wrong fingertip patterns caused the ship to turn off and he was stranded on that Death World.

Several years earlier I had other group, as GM, but we played Warhammer Fantasy. Guy was suprised when some goons mugged his elf in the city and guards just averted their gaze after getting their share of shinys.