New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default About the newfound ability of Parson's bracet...

While I agree it might be quite a gamechanger, you should please take notice of the 2 people aware of that capability:

- Parson (duh)
    - Charlie

Charlie who has still 6 calculations left in his contract. Who do you think has the best pool of intelligence to ask critical questions about the future?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: About the newfound ability of Parson's bracet...

I calculate a 62% chance that Parson is best equipped intellectually to utilize the prediction and calculation abilities of the braclet, over that of Charlie (or anyone else detailed so far in Erfworld, for that matter).

This expends one of your remaining calculations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordguy View Post
    Casters effectively lost every weakness they had (from AD&D), and everyone else suffered for it. Since this was done as a direct result of player requests ("make magic better!"), I consider it one of the all-time best reasons NOT to listen to player requests.

Most people wouldn't know what makes a good game if it stripped naked, painted itself purple, and jumped up on a table singing "look what a good game I am!".

3. - Top - End - #3
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Charlie might have more information to base his questions on, but any question he asks reveals the question, his interest in it, and the answer to Parson as well. Parson is smart enough to get quite a lot out of that, and Parson and Charlie are currently on opposing sides. Charlie will have to weigh very carefully whether it's worth revealing that information to Parson in order to get his prediction.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Additionally, Parson can ask unlimited questions. In addition to giving him more information, this means the information is more useful. Charlie doesn't know if the 4% chance means that he'll be able to discover it easily, or that the calculations will be really valuable, or something else; however Parson could ask as many questions as he wants, so he can narrow it down.
    My pronouns are they/them.

Avatar courtesy of Elagune's OotS manga reinterpretation!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zombie

Another thing to consider is that there is the potential that Parson really doesn't have to follow through on that deal. Charlie is in no position to force Parson into answering the questions and given how their relationship seems to be at this point I wouldn't be suprised for Parson to get a few more digs in on Charlie.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

It's probably safe to assume that Charlie's contracts are backed up by Thinkamancy.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Twin2 View Post
    Another thing to consider is that there is the potential that Parson really doesn't have to follow through on that deal. Charlie is in no position to force Parson into answering the questions and given how their relationship seems to be at this point I wouldn't be suprised for Parson to get a few more digs in on Charlie.
    He's duty bound to answer them. Efworld is still a game with stone carved rules. And like you must pay upkeep to all your troops, and you cannot atack during night, or get our of a city if you're a garrison unit, or move out of an hex at all if it's your turn, Hamster MUST answer the questions.
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2009-12-19 at 06:20 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oslecamo View Post
    He's duty bound to answer them. Efworld is still a game with stone carved rules. And like you must pay upkeep to all your troops, and you cannot atack during night, or get our of a city if you're a garrison unit, or move out of an hex at all if it's your turn, Hamster MUST answer the questions.
    But Parson’s broken Erfworld rules now. In the text updates as well as the incident at the end of Book 1. Duty may not have much of a hold over him.

Of course, movement rules still apply, so…
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Shhalahr Windrider View Post
    But Parson’s broken Erfworld rules now. In the text updates as well as the incident at the end of Book 1. Duty may not have much of a hold over him.
    The only rule breaking I remember was he swearing.

There was the "not make the city patrol" incident, but that could be justified for the simple fact that Hamster didn't knew he actualy needed to make the patrol. Can't obey to an order you don't understand in the first place. Just like uncroaked can't make complex maneuvers due to their rotten brains.

Anyway, if he could give out fake answers, he would've already done so, and tried to convince Charlie it would be profitable to give up on all the remaining answers.

One way or another, that Hamster holds one of the strongest non-arkentools trinkets in Efworld and knows how to use it is a mighty advantage for Gobwin Knob. Being the only one who knows the odds of sucess almost feels like cheating. Almost.
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2009-12-20 at 06:26 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Being the only one who knows the odds of sucess almost feels like cheating. Almost.
    but he isn't, remember mathamancers and predictamancers? a linked pair of the two could possibly replicate the abilities of parson's bracer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Herman View Post
    I just found a dead cat in my quern. I guess someone was trying to make cat bread.
    Props go out to kwarkpudding for the awesome avatar!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tribble View Post
    but he isn't, remember mathamancers and predictamancers? a linked pair of the two could possibly replicate the abilities of parson's bracer.
    I think the "effortless and instantaneous" part is unique to him though. Though I'm wondering if there's something like a once-a-turn limit for him, since we don't see him use it nearly as often as he could. (Actually, maybe he uses it a lot but just doesn't say the results out loud all the time, which makes sense) Nevermind, quick look through the archives shows I am made of wrong.
    Last edited by Haven; 2009-12-22 at 02:44 PM.
    My pronouns are they/them.

Avatar courtesy of Elagune's OotS manga reinterpretation!

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by tribble View Post
    Perhaps they could...But what side would have all the pieces and be able to afford it? You cannot simple form and breack links whitout great risks as we've seen. And even then it would have a limited number of uses per day due to juice, while Hamster seems perfectly able to spam his ability at will.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

As Charlie, I suspect I'd be thinking of some ways of asking questions which didn't necessarily divulge quite so much of my own side of things...

"Parson, I'd like you to run a calculation for me. Please give me the odds that asking the other question I've got in mind will provide you with a greater benefit than it will me."

In some cases, I'd know based on the answer what the answer to my second question would be; in any other case, I'd be aware of the relative likelihood that asking the question would damage my relative position.

As Parson, I'd be contemplating as broad a range of hypothetical situations for probability assessment as I possibly could.
    Don't bother trying to appeal to my better nature; I don't have one.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Perhaps they could...But what side would have all the pieces and be able to afford it? You cannot simple form and breack links whitout great risks as we've seen. And even then it would have a limited number of uses per day due to juice, while Hamster seems perfectly able to spam his ability at will.
    we've seen triple-caster links reanimate volcanoes and keep flawless, real-time military surveillance (IE: Maphacks) on an area the size of a small coutry at least, if not the entire world. I'm fairly certain juice is not a big issue here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Herman View Post
    I just found a dead cat in my quern. I guess someone was trying to make cat bread.
    Props go out to kwarkpudding for the awesome avatar!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

The only rule breaking I remember was he swearing.
    More or less the only real example, yes. But it is evidence that not all rules apply to Parson. There’s no telling what applies until he tries to break a rule. It’s okay to assume certain rules apply for the sake of discussion, but we should admit when there is a chance that they do not.

Anyway, if he could give out fake answers, he would've already done so, and tried to convince Charlie it would be profitable to give up on all the remaining answers.
    That assumes Parson knows he can lie to Charlie or that willing to try it and hope nothing gives the lie away. (Of course, it also makes the reasonable assumption that Parson wants to lie to Charlie. )

Parson doesn’t automatically know what rules apply to him and which he can break. Hence experimenting with riding a dwagon and leaving Gobwin Knob. If he doesn’t know that he can lie to Charlie, he would have to make an attempt at doing so. The attempt could fail, and that could give Charlie more information than Parson wants to risk. Alternatively, the attempt could succeed, but Charlie could still realize something is up by a bit of relief (or similar emotion) in Parson’s voice. So an experiment still holds a potentially big risk in the Parson/Charlie conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by fangthane View Post
    As Charlie, I suspect I'd be thinking of some ways of asking questions which didn't necessarily divulge quite so much of my own side of things...

"Parson, I'd like you to run a calculation for me. Please give me the odds that asking the other question I've got in mind will provide you with a greater benefit than it will me."
    But that would spend one more of his limited calculations without giving him any of the information he really wants to know. It would only be a useful tactic if the question was important enough to be worth using two calculations.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.