New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Digital PDF versions of Dungeon Crawlin' Fools, On the Origin of PCs now on sale!

Quote Originally Posted by Windscion View Post
    Dammit, now I'm torn. I have the all dead trees (I'm like Durkon: I hate trees ), but I really really really want the kickstarter stories -- especially the O'Chul one. Wait, aren't those already PDFs? Shoot, that probably means this isn't going to help.
    I was actually going to ask that since they're already pdf, maybe there could be a chance to have them available to buy?
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Digital PDF versions of Dungeon Crawlin' Fools, On the Origin of PCs now on sale!

Quote Originally Posted by Quild View Post
    I was actually going to ask that since they're already pdf, maybe there could be a chance to have them available to buy?
    Second the motion, vigorously!
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    Get my vet school clubs to not pay $25 each in yearly dues and we have a deal. But I know me, I'll probably break down and get it within the next few days to week. Especially since it's so inexpensive--thank you, Giant!
    Fine fine.

I'm not kidding about the quality though. Being able to zoom in and out is fricken glorious.

Hope these sell like pancakes, as I can't wait for the later books to get these treatments. I'll always buy the physcial books. But these are going to be bought as soon as I can get them as well.

===

EDIT::: Oh, hey. An answer to that Haley/Sabine opposite question that's been plaguing some for years.

Huh. Never even occured to me. Makes sense, actually.

Wow. Shows how much planning there really was, even in those early days.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2015-08-27 at 05:21 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

4. - Top - End - #34
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Nzall View Post
    Assuming that the other books will also be made available on Gumroad in time, will we eventually be able to get a bulk discount for buying multiple PDF copies at the same time, similar to how some digital content storefronts have bundle sales from time to time? This question might come across as thrifty, but I'm just trying to get the best OotS bang for my buck.
    I have no idea what we might do in the future. I can't promise anything.

To add to the previous question, is there some sort of offer if we purchase a PDF of a book we already own?
    I would love to be able to do something like that, but there's just no logistical way. I wouldn't know how I could possibly verify that someone had bought the book previously, considering they've been sold in comic book and game stores for years; it's not like I have a giant database of who owns the books. And even if we could verify it, I don't think Gumroad has the functionality to offer individualized or restricted-use coupon codes—just general across-the-board discounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Quild View Post
    One thing at a time. We'll see how it goes.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Well crap!

I am definitely going to purchase the dead tree version of every future book, to go with the dead tree versions of all the books that have been sold that way.

But now, I have to wonder whether I shouldn't ALSO buy the save-a-tree versions, because it would be really nice to have them on my tablet so I can peruse things when I am not online. Plus... Higher resolution vector images.

Maybe I should just send my paychecks directly to the Giant.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

In Real Life Laugh Out Loud:

This book would have been printed on recycled paper if it had been printed at all, but since it’s a digital copy, it isn’t. I guess the electrons are recycled, technically.
    Seriously. Laugh Out Loud In Real Life.

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

7. - Top - End - #37
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I have no idea what we might do in the future. I can't promise anything.

I would love to be able to do something like that, but there's just no logistical way. I wouldn't know how I could possibly verify that someone had bought the book previously, considering they've been sold in comic book and game stores for years; it's not like I have a giant database of who owns the books. And even if we could verify it, I don't think Gumroad has the functionality to offer individualized or restricted-use coupon codes—just general across-the-board discounts.
    Makes sense, and I figured that would be an issue. Though you do have a giant database of kickstarter backers! It's not the same, but we also provided support.

Also Porthos, you're not helping.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    Fine fine.

I'm not kidding about the quality though. Being able to zoom in and out is fricken glorious.

Hope these sell like pancakes, as I can't wait for the later books to get these treatments. I'll always buy the physcial books. But these are going to be bought as soon as I can get them as well.

===

EDIT::: Oh, hey. An answer to that Haley/Sabine opposite question that's been plaguing some for years.

Huh. Never even occured to me. Makes sense, actually.

Wow. Shows how much planning there really was, even in those early days.
    You keep this up, and you'll be encouraging spousal homicide. Just so you know. My wife will not let this fly. Stop making it even more tempting!
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

bought it!
    to those that want to justify to themselves (or spouses, or your accountant) that you should buy, even already having the dead-tree version... it comes with new commentary! and vectors! and non-recycled-digital-non-paper. case closed. and the 1000th strip too may be somewhat related, too.
    thanks, giant.
    My new tumblr on all things meta:

http://meta-net.tumblr.com/

Yes, Tarquin is there as the ultimate meta-villain.
    Open to suggestions or submissions

The main theme of the comic is, "I'm glad I have a job where I can work in my pajamas."

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

Shut up and take my money!

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Also Porthos, you're not helping.
    Oh, I rather think I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    You keep this up, and you'll be encouraging spousal homicide. Just so you know. My wife will not let this fly.
    Fine. But you're missing out on the (digital) Group Hug that Rich offered everyone.
    Stop making it even more tempting!
    : Tempt Tempt Tempt Peelee about the wonders of e-commerce!

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

OMG OMG OMG OMG

===

Maybe I should read past the opening line.

Probably not!
    I'm glad I'm not the only one to have this reaction. Not that the rest of the news isn't exciting too. Finally, a chance to avoid having to shuttle my OOTS books back and forth every time I travel!
    Last edited by ti'esar; 2015-08-27 at 05:49 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

As on the guys who bugged you in the past about a digital release: Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I went straight ahead and bought both books. Even though I already own all books in Durkon-friendly dead tree form.
    And I will continue to buy all future books in both forms, because I love to throw money your way.

(It just so happend that today I got my first money from my new job. So I didn't have to spend time thinking about ways to use the additional money. Thank you for keeping my brains thought-free *g*)

//edit: A short note to people in Germany and elsewhere: The prices listed are before taxes, as usual in the US. So don't be surprised when the price goes up a few percent when you're ordering.
    Last edited by Armitage; 2015-08-27 at 05:51 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

So, whining about something long enough actually works? I need to kill my elementary school teacher...
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #45
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

I've seen systems where each paper copy has a single-use coupon code for a free or discounted ebook copy, but that requires planning for it when you make the paper copies. It's a bit late for that on these books.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

16. - Top - End - #46

Fine. But you're missing out on the (digital) Group Hug that Rich offered everyone.

: Tempt Tempt Tempt Peelee about the wonders of e-commerce!
    I love e-commerce. I couldn't live without it. Hell, Amazon Prime was lifechanging. But I would just like to not die while trying to justify buying a digital copy of a physical product I already own, even if it has another bell and whistle. At least, not yet.

Oh, to be young again. And also a robot.

Spoiler: Random advice for everyone
    Show
    At this point in my life, it has become so ingrained and automatic that I don't even think about it until after the fact. So kids, my best possible advice to you: always split your infinitives.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2015-08-27 at 06:03 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    So, whining about something long enough actually works? I need to kill my elementary school teacher...
    I hate to be a kicker,
    I always long for peace,
    But the wheel that does the squeaking,
    Is the one that gets the grease.

-- Josh Billings (maybe)
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

it's not like I have a giant database of who owns the books.
    Giant In The Database!
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

19. - Top - End - #49
    Halfling in the Playground

Thank you very much. While I like the fresh scent of new books and the fuzzy feeling of fine pages, digital files don't have a major issue with taking space from my living space. I have both books in physical format, and just re-bought them to incentive the trend going on, and to actually have a digital backup.

Did you make any other corrections to the art?
    A few really egregious errors that had slipped by, though I probably missed some yet again.
    You kept the doubt about the guildmaster being called Bozzak in OotPC and Bozzok in the online strips. Nice?

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

So only DCF has new commentary stuff compared to the print version?
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

21. - Top - End - #51
    Orc in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Well, this is turning out to be quite a refreshing evening...
    At least now I can get back to enjoying my glass of elven wine in peace and quiet, without being called on to intervene in someone else's problems.
    Clang, clang, clang goes the trolley! Ring, ring, ring goes the bell! Git away from me, ye daft fool!
    *sigh*

22. - Top - End - #52
    Barbarian in the Playground

I have a: all the books, and b: no money (and I like physical book form much better anyway), but on behalf of so many people, THANK YOU! I'm living overseas right now and am learning first hand about international shipping rates...I hope this is successful as it should be!
    !

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    So only DCF has new commentary stuff compared to the print version?
    Looks to be correct. It's not that much new commentary, BTW. There are a few paragraphs of new stuff on almost all of the prior commentary then one full page of new commentary after everything else. But it's still new stuff and a selling point, if a minor one.

The major selling points are, IMO, it being digital and the high quality of it. The new commentary is a, ahem, bonus.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2015-08-27 at 07:34 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

Ten thousand curses on my monthly rent. I really want to support this.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Thank you, Giant! I've been wanting digital copies for years. And thank you for not having DRM. I will buy every OotS book you make available in this manner.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Firbolg in the Playground

The quality, when zooming etc, is really the big treat here. It's just beautiful. It can't wait to see the result when this is applied to the more recent art. Of course the commentary is a cool bonus.

Thanks, Giant! I do hope there are many folks as happy to buy this as I am.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

Question - will I need to buy the PDF for DCF in order to read the new essay? I really want to read it, so I definitely will if so.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Pixie in the Playground

Anyone who managed to buy it, how long did it take to show up in your email? I ordered mine about an hour ago and I still don't have anything. Does it actually send the whole 100+MB PDF to your inbox? Maybe my email can't accept attachments that big.

29. - Top - End - #59

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltowait View Post
    Anyone who managed to buy it, how long did it take to show up in your email? I ordered mine about an hour ago and I still don't have anything. Does it actually send the whole 100+MB PDF to your inbox? Maybe my email can't accept attachments that big.
    Have you tried checking your spam folder just in case?

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltowait View Post
    There's a link in the actual email with a big button that says DOWNLOAD.

Click that and ignore the bit about another email.

EDIT:::::

=====

And if you didn't get an email with something like the above, then yes, try both your spam folder and the ISP's (sometimes ISPs will eat things that users never become aware of).
    Last edited by Porthos; 2015-08-27 at 08:56 PM.