New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Charity Rejects D&D Money - Let's Write Letters!

I sent the following. This is just disappointing. I try to believe in humanity, I really do...but they do tend to let me down sometimes.

Greetings,

I will keep this brief, as I am sure you are inundated with letters of this kind (at least I hope that you are). This writing is to inform you that I am sorely disappointed with the Christian Children's Fund's refusal to act as a sponsored charity for GenCon. If those who made this decision truly wished to express Christian values, they would have accepted this donation graciously, so that this money could be used to aid those in need. Given the state of the world today, I am deeply saddened that people would allow a very minor ideological quibble with a GAME to get in the way of such a virtue as charity. Whoever receives this letter should seriously evaluate their priorities and consider the consequences of such close-minded thinking.

I myself have spent most of my life involved with the gaming industry, and it offends me deeply that you would turn us aside when we attempt to reach out with a helping hand. Until your organization reverses its attitude towards gamers, you can expect no help from myself or those whom I have influence over. I will encourage my friends and family to donate to charities with a more diverse outlook, because I do believe strongly in helping others whenever possible. I would also advise that gamers, Christian and otherwise, are willing to forgive, because many of us share a vision of a better world. However, an apology to our community, and an assurance that the backwards attitude towards our hobby will be reconsidered, would go a long way towards mending the relationship between your charity and a large group of people who only want to help their fellow human beings.

Regards,

*Me*
    Gamer, Unitarian, and potential donor.
    My friend and I have a blog, we write D&D stuff there: http://forgotmydice.com/

Comedian avatar by The_Stoney_One

A Guide to Commonly Misunderstood 5th Edition Rules

2. - Top - End - #92
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    Not getting the $17,000 is a perfectly fine consequence for passing it up,
    If this was a for-profit business, you would be correct. However, the people who made this decision did not lose $17,000 for themselves, they lost it for the children they are trying to help. They still brought home the same salary from CCF this year, either way. That is why it bothers me. And that is why, while I support people letting them know how they feel, my primary goal in posting this information was to let people know that there are charities out there that DON'T feel this way, and that we should support them instead.

The important issue here is whether or not the children in need are getting the best possible help. CCF has proven, by its actions, that they are willing to put their personal considerations--whatever philosophical basis they have for them--ahead of what is best for starving children. Therefore, it is our duty, as concerned donors, to make our donations through organizations that aren't likely to take the same path.

Also, note that the Fisher House, while a worthy cause, does not help children in impoverished areas of the world; they build places for families to stay near military hospitals in the USA (sort of like the Ronald McDonald house for veterans). A good cause, certainly, but definitely not the same cause, and I wanted people who believed in the cause of fighting child poverty to know that yes, there are charities that will gladly accept your befouled gamer-tainted money.

The Voice of Mod: Also, let's be careful not to bring their religion into this. There are plenty of secular reasons why this is a stupid thoughtless blunder on their part without calling their religion into question.

Plus, no threats of violence. Consider the thread warned.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    ...there are charities that will gladly accept your befouled gamer-tainted money.
    *LE GASP*

They have him too!
    No gamer is safe! Run for your lives!

More seriously, I wrote up this letter:

Spoiler
    Show
    To those concerned,

It has recently come to my attention that your charity turned down over a $17,000 donation raised by the auction at GenCon, because it was associated with the "Dungeons and Dragons" game.

I am utterly appalled at this.
    This is money willingly raised and offered up for the good of many, to aid the lives of the less fortunate, and it was refused because it was associated with a game?

That's just pathetic.
    Anyone willing to actually look at the facts rather than cling to mistaken beliefs bred by fear, misunderstanding, and sheer stupidity will find that "Dungeons and Dragons" is no more harmful than (and is indeed quite comparable to) improvisational acting while reading excel spreadsheets.

As a participant of GenCon, a player of Dungeons and Dragons, and someone raised on the very morals that caused your charity to reject this gift of goodwill, I am insulted by the implication that my money- no- my very SOUL is tainted by a game that simply encourages creativity.

It is my deep hope that you will come to repent your uninformed and pharisaic actions, and will understand that goodwill is in fact goodwill, no matter the source- and that indeed, the source was not bad.

Offended and Insulted
    -Vael

I wish I had been a little more restrained, but at the time I was writing it I was trying not to see red. >.>
    Oh, and my real name was replaced with my user name. I didn't actually sign it as Vael.
    I should have though.
    Last edited by AmberVael; 2008-10-31 at 10:00 PM.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

The message this decision says is "We care more about our Ill-informed opinions concerning a popular hobby than about our stated mission of helping children." Nobody is asking them to play the game, or support it, or even say anything about it.
    Their story about "We are selective about what we endorse" is sheer bull. An Endorsement or a Sponsership is when one person or organization lends support to another, in this case they are not Endorsing or Sponsering Gencon, Gencon is lending publicity and financial assistance to them. It's not even a "You give me a dollar today and I'll give you five bucks next week" thing, its' "Here, Take five bucks, please."
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

Son of a.....ARGH!!!

See this is why rel***** is such a bad thing for the world. Sure it gives people motivation and/or hope but it also(in to many cases) results in stuff like war, fear, depriving children of halloween, and deprving them of food in the aforementioned charity rejection.

There are things I really want to say but it would cause a whirlwind of infractions to swarm my profile, so i wont say them.

I will say this though...
    Spoiler
    Show
    FAIL

Now that I've gone off my cosine, it really does sicken me to think that people would be so ignorant like this.
    The Swallowfield Children - Stredexon Intwisca

6. - Top - End - #96

They should be ashamed of themselves.

For ****'s sake. They won't accept seventeen thousand freaking dollars because of bigoted, downright wrong conceptions.

This money would go to help people who actually need it, and it's an awful lot of money.

They are letting down everything a charity should stand for by doing this.

*goes off to write angry letter*
    Awesome Cyborg Doom Monkey avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins. Offer up your robo-bananas to him.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Troll in the Playground

this fails so hard, we need a new word to describe it.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

You know, in their defense, if they had accepted it they may have had plenty of people complaining to them anyway, but for the opposite reason. They can't win here, you know.
    Thanks to zegma for my awesome avatar.
    Proudly the founder of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub.
    We will not let Nessie down! http://www.petitiononline.com/PLEAOSAR/
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

9. - Top - End - #99

Quote Originally Posted by mikeejimbo View Post
    You know, in their defense, if they had accepted it they may have had plenty of people complaining to them anyway, but for the opposite reason. They can't win here, you know.
    Wait, what?

Who cares about people complaining to them? They would've A) Had the moral high ground, and B) Just, I dunno, received 17,000 dollars to put to good causes.

As a Christian, a D&D player, and a human being, I am disgusted.
    Awesome Cyborg Doom Monkey avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins. Offer up your robo-bananas to him.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Orc in the Playground

Okay, first of all, I'm a Christian; in fact, currently studying to become a Lutheran minister. I am also an avid D&D gamer, having found no grounds whatsoever for linking D&D to anything immoral or spiritually unhealthy. I believe that religion, when properly used, is a positive influence that can uplift and inspire humanity; I also believe that gaming, when properly used, enriches the human experience socially and mentally. And I am appalled at the actions of this charity.

However, I ask people not to be too quick to blame the charity itself. As has been said before, it is entirely possible that they were under pressure not to accept our "tainted evil blood money". As surprising as this may be, there are still folks who don't know anything about D&D beyond what they heard from sensationalists in the 80s (notably, my parents were in this group until I started playing!) and I would not blame a charity for not wanting to scare off such people based on a misunderstanding. However, I feel it is their responsibility to set the record straight. Currently I can find no mention of this incident on their website; it seems they are trying to pretend it didn't happen. I would urge them (and urge you to urge them) to explain themselves, in public. If they are honest and loving people (as I would hope they are!) this would be an opportunity to both apologize to gamers worldwide and maybe cast a low-level "Dispel Ignorance" on some well-meaning but misguided people.

Or perhaps they will simply post the same half-hearted, half-baked mea culpa form letter that the people here have been receiving. In which case, they receive not one thin dime from myself, or anyone else I know, for a very long time.
    Patchouli Knowledge avatar courtesy of the skillful Prime32.

"Everyone feels benevolent if nothing happens to be annoying him at the moment."
    --C. S. Lewis

"The first person to prove that cow's milk is drinkable was very, very thirsty."

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

You know everyone, I would personally suggest that before you send letters, you wait after you write them. Preferably a day, but at least an hour. Then look back at the letter and change it as necessary before sending it in. Otherwise you're likely to send extremely angry letters that will probably just be dismissed outright. This kind of "cooling off" period is a good thing for such letter-writing.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Firbolg in the Playground

Anyway, what's the plan here? Kept swamping them with email until they give into peer pressure and shame or what?

Cause, it seems that they're not even reading the emails anymore. They're only giving automatic replies.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bookworm View Post
    Wait, what?

Who cares about people complaining to them? They would've A) Had the moral high ground, and B) Just, I dunno, received 17,000 dollars to put to good causes.

As a Christian, a D&D player, and a human being, I am disgusted.
    But I mean, other Christians who do find D&D to be evil would stop donating their money. Or other people who do think that it would be wrong for them to be 'endorsing' GenCon. I'm just saying that they have to consider how it would look to everyone else, as well.
    Thanks to zegma for my awesome avatar.
    Proudly the founder of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub.
    We will not let Nessie down! http://www.petitiononline.com/PLEAOSAR/
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tirian View Post
    Cool off. I understand that Rich is upset, but hopefully that doesn't give you or anyone else the license to threaten violence against people based on their religious or political views. I haven't got much respect for the charity, but they are under the misapprehension that fantasy gamers are nothing but virtual violence freaks. How about we all step up to the plate and prove that they're wrong.

The charity in question didn't set fire to the money, it is doing good works for a different organization as we speak. Be at peace.

H-H-H-H-Hyperbole.
    Not forgetting Yldenfrei and the wonderful avatar she made.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Also, at this point, don't count on getting any replies. It's the weekend, folks. Wait until Monday, see if we get an official announcement or something. Like Lord Seth said, write your letter, wait a bit, and go back and read it.
    And like others have said, this may not have been knee-jerk on their part; there may be issues with other larger potential donors. Still sad, but at some point, you have to look at hard numbers.
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune

16. - Top - End - #106
    Pixie in the Playground

I sent my letter last night. I think I caught the news post when it was relatively new, so this forum post here wasn't around.

I won't re-paste my letter here, because it's harsh & impolite. I didn't cuss them out or anything like that, I just wished ill upon their organization as a whole. You guys probably don't wish to see something like that. Felt pretty good, though. :)
    ~ Smoke_Rulz ~

- Best character in the comic :D
    - Extremely close second.
    - Third best as of #595.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

I've cooled down a bit now and still think that a march with guy faulks (sp?) masks and torches is just shy of being acceptable. I'm particularly offended since I put my best d20 in the giant die, which IIRC, was like the centerpiece of the auction.
    Last edited by BizzaroStormy; 2008-11-01 at 12:12 AM.
    The Swallowfield Children - Stredexon Intwisca

18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke_Rulz View Post
    I sent my letter last night. I think I caught the news post when it was relatively new, so this forum post here wasn't around.

I won't re-paste my letter here, because it's harsh & impolite. I didn't cuss them out or anything like that, I just wished ill upon their organization as a whole. You guys probably don't wish to see something like that. Felt pretty good, though. :)
    See, and that's exactly what I said is the wrong thing to do. Don't blame the entire charity for a decision that was probably made by just a few higher-ups. I doubt the people that are actually working in the field (who should be applauded for their work) had anything to do with the decision.

Also, of course, wishing ill on someone's organization is hardly the way to get them to take your complaint seriously.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Pixie in the Playground

For all the bickering and hyperbole going on we can probably all agree that A) this is ridiculous and B) we should speak up and let the charity know they're making a tremendous error. While we cannot fix it this time around, hopefully it will help in the future.

Anyway, mah lettah!

Hello CCF,

I've recently come across a news story alleging that your charity turned down an incredibly generous donation in light of the fact that it was given by people who play dungeons and dragons.

How absurd.

I'm both amazed and distraught that this level of callousness and ignorance exists in a group dedicated to helping children. Nothing about dungeons and dragons is in anyway harmful. I'm assuming you're basing your rejection off of rumors that are almost two and half decades old. Unfortunately, the only ones who will suffer for this disturbing oversight are the children you, and the people whom attempted to donate to you, aim to help.

I find solace in the fact that the money has found a home with another, and dare I say more deserving, charity. While vetting your donations is a laudable goal, you've descended a laughable level.

Sincerely,

SHAZAM!

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

A while back a charity for abused children/families that I did extensive reporting about turned down sizeable gifts from licensed casino gaming and adult beverage establishments, on the grounds that they didn't wish to appear to condone practices that went against their mission statement (they're anti-gambling and alcohol, believing these things cause many of the problems their organization tries to fix). Some of the people who worked there weren't happy about it and a few even quit, but the directors thought taking the money that may have been made at the expense of the people they're trying to help would in effect be affirming bad behavior.

Sure, money is money but when you start getting into things like morality, for better or worse that's when lines start getting drawn in the sand. If the CCF folks really think GenCon, WotC, etc. are purveyors of things that their belief system rejects--or think that their major donors think that--then it's not surprising they would turn down money that was made off of selling products they object to. (And I'm sorry but I don't think for a minute that any secular reasons they might come up with for this are anything more than a dodge.)

I want to make sure you all understand that I do NOT agree with them, nor am I saying that D&D or other fantasy RPGs are "wicked" (I'm an atheist and a gamer) are in any way comparable to controlled substances or gambling--or for that matter any form of hate speech (I've read of many instances where racist, anti-semitic and other hateful organizations had their charitable donations rejected) or any illegal activity that might cause someone to turn down money because of its source.

But if they really, truly think that we're all a bunch of horrible sinners who are going to hell because our characters use magic or worship pagan gods, why would anyone expect them to accept money from the sales of "satanic" items?
    Last edited by Dacia Brabant; 2008-11-01 at 01:43 AM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    See, and that's exactly what I said is the wrong thing to do. Don't blame the entire charity for a decision that was probably made by just a few higher-ups. I doubt the people that are actually working in the field (who should be applauded for their work) had anything to do with the decision.

Also, of course, wishing ill on someone's organization is hardly the way to get them to take your complaint seriously.
    I don't expect them to take it seriously. Nor any of our complaints seriously, really. After all, we're the evil tainted ones with our dirty D&D money.

And I will indeed wish ill will on their entire organization. I don't trust a single person who works for it, let alone the higher-ups. If you don't like it, that's really just too bad.
    ~ Smoke_Rulz ~

- Best character in the comic :D
    - Extremely close second.
    - Third best as of #595.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

I sent an e-mail as well.

Disappointed

Dear CCF,

As a firm believer in the message of Christ, the message to love your
    neighbours, the message to help those in need, I am severely
    disappointed that you decided not to accept the money that was to be
    given to you in respect of E. Gary Gygax.

While I understand that some people believe Dungeons and Dragons is a
    work of Satan, this is not true, and by not accepting this money, you
    have stated, no matter how implicitly, that you consider Dungeons and
    Dragons to be evil. Through this, you have alienated many supporters
    and potential supporters.

In addition, you have disappointed the children, for the money
    gathered was a substantial sum, which now is not used to help the
    children who need it so much.

While I can understand that you cannot reverse this decision, I
    believe I speak for all gamers when I say that we'd like more
    explanation than this blurb you've given us.

God bless,

<name>
    ٩๏̯͡๏
    New found land. It's like Untitled Document, for places - Flickerdart

23. - Top - End - #113
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

I chose to point out exactly which parts of the bible were in direct contradiction to their actions in this matter and leave it at that. If you want to point out how wrong someone is, quoting their own teachings is always a good place to start. I don't know whether the email will even be read, but someone at that charity must at least be looking at the server load on their email server and wondering what the heck is going on.

I was astonished to hear that your charity has refused a substantial donation of funds raised at the GENCON 2008 comic convention, solely due to the fact that it was linked with the popular fictional roleplaying game, Dungeons and Dragons.

I personally see no conflict between my faith and a hobby in which people PRETEND to be heroes in a FICTIONAL non-christion setting. As an Anglican christian living in a multi-cultural society I believe in religious tolerance and hold that anybody's religious views are valid, provided they do not try to force them on other people.

You need to ask yourself what would Jesus do in your position? Would Jesus have refused charity from a Roman benefactor simply because his polytheistic belief system differed from the word of God? Of course not!. In fact one of His most famous parables is the tale of the Good Samaritan, in which a man in need receives aid from a stranger who does not share his religion.

We could instead look to the tale of the prodigal son, where just because someone has strayed from God's teachings does not mean that they should not be welcomed with open arms shoudl they choose to make amends.

The crux of the matter is this. Discriminating against anyone on the grounds of their religion is wrong. Discriminating against someone on the basis of their hobby is plain ridiculous. I implore you to reconsider your blatant snub to the upstanding members of the community that were trying to help your cause, in memory of a man who was not only one of your benefactors, but also instrumental in creating Dungeons and Dragons.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thubby View Post
    this fails so hard, we need a new word to describe it.
    How about CCFails?

On a more serious note, at current, I cant send emails long enough (I use a PSP for interwub access), and have the hand writing of a mentally deficiant, blind spider monkey, I cant send a letter. I can how ever, inform others. As many as I can. And I intend to do so.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post
    How about CCFails?
    afraid i missed the reference
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

That would, apparently, be the new word for "this level of fail". It's a fusion of CCF and Fail.
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune

27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground

in emails, cc when you need to send the message to a large group? also been awake for 22 hours.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Banned

While I can appreciate that the CCF doesn't want that association to be made, and doesn't want to be associated with an organization...

Well, they are not supporting the organization. The Organization in question is attempting to support the cause they profess, and trusting them to do it. And they are turning that aside. They are refusing to act in the interests of their cause, and instead are allowing idealogical views interfere in the accomplishment of their mission. That it's ok to let a few hundred children starve to keep their good name from being tarnished...

Well, let the people they are unable to help be the tarnish on that name. Let children who starve be the blemish on that organization. I fully intend to write a letter, when I return home.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

So, it seems to me like the CCF made a bad, stupid decision, and have lost out. Fair enough.

On a brighter note, see my sig for another charity that would be very happy and proud to take your money, and which would be directly helping children in poor countries by protecting them from a disease with an annual mortality of 0.9 million people (most of them children) and a caseload of 247 million cases at the last estimate (http://www.rbm.who.int/wmr2005/html/1-2.htm), with hefty consequences for child health, growth, and education.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Scylfing View Post
    A while back a charity for abused children/families that I did extensive reporting about turned down sizeable gifts from licensed casino gaming and adult beverage establishments, on the grounds that they didn't wish to appear to condone practices that went against their mission statement (they're anti-gambling and alcohol, believing these things cause many of the problems their organization tries to fix).
    The primary difference between the situation you describe and this situation right here is that those licensed casinos actually DID promote gambling and drinking. They wouldn't even have denied it; it was their stated business. This rejection now is almost certainly on grounds of what is essentially NOT true - that D&D is satanic or what have you. The fact that they believe such to be true is not really a valid defense; we who play such games know it to not be, and have a right to let them know our displeasure. Change only comes through enough people making their voices known.

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    Anyway, what's the plan here? Kept swamping them with email until they give into peer pressure and shame or what?
    The only plan I see here is to simply withdraw support and funnel it to other charities. I realize that's hard to do for anyone not financially capable of supporting in the first place, but the fact is, all the angry emails in the world are unlikely to produce results other than catharsis for the writer. Well, it might get whoever made this decision fired, but that's probably about it. The money has already been donated elsewhere, so the horse has left the barn.

The important point is that we, as gamers, don't allow this sort of smear against us to interfere with our plans to help the needy in the future. We just do it through another organization.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~