New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: PETA releases statement opposing Pokemon

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Might be worth mentioning, but I have to wonder how many of these beasts of burden and food animals would go extinct as soon as we stop caring for them. I mean, i dont see cows lasting long in the wild. Some would. I know feral pigs are pretty dang hardcore when they get loose. But what is PETA stance on animals that literally couldnt survive on their own? That have basically been selectively bred for certain traits, that have also crippled their ability to survive in the wild?
    From what I've heard? Kill them, since they are tainted by humans and would spoil the wild.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Might be worth mentioning, but I have to wonder how many of these beasts of burden and food animals would go extinct as soon as we stop caring for them. I mean, i dont see cows lasting long in the wild. Some would. I know feral pigs are pretty dang hardcore when they get loose. But what is PETA stance on animals that literally couldnt survive on their own? That have basically been selectively bred for certain traits, that have also crippled their ability to survive in the wild?
    Right, it's one of the more amusing if a bit horrific bits that is never really brought up. If we get off our meat diet what are we going to do with the the millions of animals that we're no longer going to need? Even if they don't go full on extinct a lot of them are going to have to die. Whole sale slaughter is something PETA is against when it comes to animals but their whole stance more or less dictates that there's going to have to be one. The other is the body count using combines causes in small rodent and field animal population.

3. - Top - End - #153

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tebryn View Post
    Right, it's one of the more amusing if a bit horrific bits that is never really brought up. If we get off our meat diet what are we going to do with the the millions of animals that we're no longer going to need? Even if they don't go full on extinct a lot of them are going to have to die. Whole sale slaughter is something PETA is against when it comes to animals but their whole stance more or less dictates that there's going to have to be one. The other is the body count using combines causes in small rodent and field animal population.
    Clarification: They are only against slaughter when it is not PETA that is administering and executing the slaughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    We don't need to beat animals or force them into labor anymore, we have machines to do those tasks, so those animals are largely off the hook.
    We totally have not replaced the bomb-sniffing dog and sheepdog with machines. Nor have we really replaced the guard dog, and the day we replace morale-boosting animals with machine replicas is the day after our souls have died.

To say nothing of the seeing eye dog. We're working on giving sight to the sightless, but we ain't there yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Isolder74 View Post
    Also it might stem from the idea that in the natural world humans cheat by using technology to trump other animals where normally we'd be the dinner.
    If we didn't have technology we'd either be in the same place as chimps or just *be* chimps depending upon your school of thought, where it's only opportunistic crocs and Big Cats that would prey upon us.

Hardly so weak a position as you seem to believe.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2012-10-10 at 02:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    the day we replace morale-boosting animals with machine replicas is the day after our souls have died.
    Man, I have no idea what you are talking about here. I had a Furby, and he's back better than ever!

5. - Top - End - #155
    Troll in the Playground

For all that PETA want us to become vegans, that sometimes just isn't possible for health reasons. I'm all for reducing meat consumption, but some people are just unable to go vegan for health reasons. That includes children and the elderly.

Makes me wonder about Natalie Portman's baby.

Running Tomb of Horrors 4E in all that horrific tombyness.

My Blog The Level 1 GM

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Katana_Geldar View Post
    For all that PETA want us to become vegans, that sometimes just isn't possible for health reasons. I'm all for reducing meat consumption, but some people are just unable to go vegan for health reasons. That includes children and the elderly.
    I know a guy who's allergic to chlorophyll. If he was a vegan, he'd have to eat potatoes and grains only.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2012-10-10 at 07:27 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

7. - Top - End - #157
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Muscle density issues can arise from the vegan diet, I worked with one man who was vegan who could not lift 25 lbs. Now all said and done I have no issues with someone with a disability And I Can respect the lifestyle choice. But when he was expecting someone to be assigned to do all of his lifting...We began to have professional issues with keeping him employed productively.

I know there are ways to get the needed protein with out meat, But quite frankly for some people it does not work,

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

Clarification: They are only against slaughter when it is not PETA that is administering and executing the slaughter.
    Right, I'm aware. It doesn't change the fact that a world view that expouses kindness to animals will, if they succeed in spreading their world view, endanger and outright slaughter tens of millions of animals. There are 15.8 billion chickens living on the planet as of 2002. What's going to happen to them? Cows? 1.8 Billion. Pigs? As of 2002 the Food and Agriculture Organization of the UN numbers them at almost a billion. It was to point out the hypocrisy of their position.
    Last edited by Tebryn; 2012-10-10 at 04:31 PM.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by INoKnowNames View Post
    Shouldn't Nintendo be able to sue them? That's blatant copyright enfringement on their game right there. Not to mention they've done so little research as to what actually goes on in the games, especially considering the themes of the latest version.

Why does Peta thing animals deserve -more- rights than humans? I'm of the opinion that they deserve -equal- rights, but why -more-? Why does Peta hate humans?
    If nintendo wanted to, you're right, they have a very solid copyright infringement case. They've also got a decent case for libel/slander (I'm never sure which one of those applies to video).

As for animal "rights" peta and a number of other people/organizations tend to forget that rights are A) a social construct that isn't even equal in idea between different cultures, much less different species, and B) a thing that comes paired with responsibilities. You wanna give rights to animals that are productive members of society, be my guest, but make them proportional to the responsibility those animals are saddled with. Animals that exist outside of society get their rights from the law of nature; survival of the fittest, no caveats, no exceptions.

And if peta tries to take away my meat, I'm going mideval on their collective asses. Nevermind the health concerns, they're infringing on my rights to enjoy a freakin' meal. I'll "self-defense" the SoB's into a bloody paste.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    If nintendo wanted to, you're right, they have a very solid copyright infringement case. They've also got a decent case for libel/slander (I'm never sure which one of those applies to video).

As for animal "rights" peta and a number of other people/organizations tend to forget that rights are A) a social construct that isn't even equal in idea between different cultures, much less different species, and B) a thing that comes paired with responsibilities. You wanna give rights

And if peta tries to take away my meat, I'm going mideval on their collective asses. Nevermind the health concerns, they're infringing on my rights to enjoy a freakin' meal. I'll "self-defense" the SoB's into a bloody paste.

^ This, just this. I don't hate on you for not-eating meat so leave me alone to enjoy my bloody steak in peace (pun not intended).
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

11. - Top - End - #161

Although Nintendo certainly has a case, I think it would be a bad thing for Nintendo to even give a cease-and-decist order. In my opinion, the more people become aware of PETA's insanity the better. If nothing else, the lets-plays should go viral.
    Dark Souls Remake in a Nutshell
    Don't mess with a Primarch

Sometimes I make avatars too. Shoot me a PM if interested.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Dwarf in the Playground

You know, if PETA had their way, Australia would be buried under rabbits and toads, Great Brittan would also be buried under rabbits, and feral hogs would be having a field day out in the United States pasture and farmland.

Then consider that populations on isolated island nations would suffer from lack of protein due to not being allowed to consume fish, nations with large populations would suffer the same issues because of a lack of affordable protein from canned fish, farm raised chicken and the like; certain areas where people actually depend on rats as a major part of their diet would suffer...

Lastly there's the group of people who WILL NOT give up their meat. I am part of that group. If your take meat out of the supermarket I'll go get my own, plenty of white tail deer out in this part of the world, not to mention feral hogs. Will they take away my hunting rights? Over my cold, dead body they will.

1782. I will remember we're playing 4th edition and stop using my imagination.
    - From 1975 things MR. Welch is no longer allowed to do in an RPG.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Ing View Post
    Although Nintendo certainly has a case, I think it would be a bad thing for Nintendo to even give a cease-and-decist order. In my opinion, the more people become aware of PETA's insanity the better. If nothing else, the lets-plays should go viral.
    Agreed. The nintendo folk have better sense than to give that crap any creedance by acknowledging its existence anyway.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.

14. - Top - End - #164

NecromancerGuy

Right, I'm aware. It doesn't change the fact that a world view that expouses kindness to animals will, if they succeed in spreading their world view, endanger and outright slaughter tens of millions of animals. There are 15.8 billion chickens living on the planet as of 2002. What's going to happen to them? Cows? 1.8 Billion. Pigs? As of 2002 the Food and Agriculture Organization of the UN numbers them at almost a billion. It was to point out the hypocrisy of their position.
    Their only concern is with how to dispose of all of the bodies. I don't think they've managed to answer the question to their own satisfaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    I know a guy who's allergic to chlorphyll. If he was a vegan, he'd have to eat potatoes and grains only.
    Huh, I'd have figured that'd be lethal allergy.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Ing View Post
    I dunno, I think the game may be covered under fair use as is a "non-profit educational" work, although some may argue with the educational part
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    I dunno, I think the game may be covered under fair use as is a "non-profit educational" work, although some may argue with the educational part
    Satire and parody are pretty protected under copyright law I believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

17. - Top - End - #167

I...think discussing the nuances of law is coming close to breaking forum rules.

As i've said, I would like to see the game stay around for one reason or another, mostly because 1: It's pretty much free advertising for B&W2 (negative publicity is better than no publicity,) and 2: It generates mockery for and undermines PETA, which is always a plus.
    Dark Souls Remake in a Nutshell
    Don't mess with a Primarch

Sometimes I make avatars too. Shoot me a PM if interested.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Firbolg in the Playground

It's no different than when they released that super mario game about tanooki and the fur issue. I'm pretty sure all it served to do was make them a laughingstock, and spiked awareness and sales about the new super mario game for the 3DS.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

As for animal "rights" peta and a number of other people/organizations tend to forget that rights are A) a social construct that isn't even equal in idea between different cultures, much less different species, and B) a thing that comes paired with responsibilities.
    They aren't a social construct if you buy into the idea of natural rights, which most of western civilization is based on. Animal rights is often associated with a utilitarian philosophy, which makes total sense if you follow it to its logical end.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

If they have the right to not be harmed by humans, wouldn't they have the right to not be harmed by other animals?
    Should a wolf be prosecuted for hunting down a fawn?
    Should Mittens get the chair for devouring Squeaker?
    Should maggots be charged with defiling a corpse?
    Should our white blood cells be arrested for murder?
    You take things to their logical conclusion, things get absurdum real fast.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2012-10-11 at 12:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    If they have the right to not be harmed by humans, wouldn't they have the right to not be harmed by other animals?
    Should a wolf be prosecuted for hunting down a fawn?
    Should Mittens get the chair for devouring Squeaker?
    Should maggots be charged with defiling a corpse?
    Should our white blood cells be arrested for murder?
    You take things to their logical conclusion, things get absurdum real fast.
    Nope, because apparently, humans are some abomination that disrupts the natural order of things, and the best we can do is all eat lab-grown nutrients while sitting in a space station so that we don't disturb the Earth.

The best part is, it's impossible to support a vegan lifestyle in a minimal-impact low-tech society, such as Native Americans (although the Cherokee were building walled settlements. Then again, their population was kept down because war was their favorite pastime). So to get to PETA's goal, we first have to invent all the stuff needed to leave the Earth. Oh, and we can't take any animals with us either, except maybe pets.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

22. - Top - End - #172

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    Nope, because apparently, humans are some abomination that disrupts the natural order of things, and the best we can do is all eat lab-grown nutrients while sitting in a space station so that we don't disturb the Earth.

The best part is, it's impossible to support a vegan lifestyle in a minimal-impact low-tech society, such as Native Americans (although the Cherokee were building walled settlements. Then again, their population was kept down because war was their favorite pastime). So to get to PETA's goal, we first have to invent all the stuff needed to leave the Earth. Oh, and we can't take any animals with us either, except maybe especially not pets.
    Fixed that for you. IIRC, PETA's orthodoxy is that humans are virii and thus categorically immoral unless they buy into the movement.
    Homebrew

23. - Top - End - #173
    Barbarian in the Playground

When it comes to PETA their philosophy is that the only animal that mankind should have anything to do with is itself and half of them feel that is too much as that makes more humans which is just as bad.

In other words it's unless you eat Vegan and are part of their little clique then you don't deserve to live no matter how much Rover seems to like you.
    When you want peace prepare for war! --Confucius

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

Fixed that for you. IIRC, PETA's orthodoxy is that humans are virii and thus categorically immoral unless they buy into the movement.
    Peta's philosophy.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

25. - Top - End - #175

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    Only PETA involves more foaming at the mouth and spittle.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SDF View Post
    They aren't a social construct if you buy into the idea of natural rights, which most of western civilization is based on. Animal rights is often associated with a utilitarian philosophy, which makes total sense if you follow it to its logical end.
    Natural rights? The only rights nature grants you are the right to kill and eat the creatures you're strong or clever enough to overcome, and the right to ultimately feed worms.

Everything else is man-made. You have whatever rights you have either because your government gives them to you, and hasn't pissed its populace off enough to cause a revolt, or from taking the rights you're willing and able to take for yourself by force, either individually or as part of an organization. The latter has been how most of the free world got the rights they have. If you don't believe me, read your people's constitution, if you have one, to a tornado or a bear that's bearing down on you, then come and tell us how it went.

Nature is an uncarring bastard that doesn't give two cp about your rights; see disease and disaster.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

Nature is an uncarring bastard that doesn't give two cp about your rights; see disease and disaster.
    How true. Every sound you hear in the forest, every bird chirp or animal call is made by a cold terrified parasite ridden creatures half starved and desperate to get laid.
    Last edited by Tebryn; 2012-10-12 at 12:55 AM.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Troll in the Playground

i've always suspected that peta was actually an elaborate effort to troll people.

it's a real shame too, because a lot of legitimate and respectable groups like the humane society suffer because of the stereotype PETA perpetuates.
    Last edited by thubby; 2012-10-12 at 12:44 AM.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

How true. Every sound you hear in the forest, every bird chirp or animal call is made by a cold terrified parasite ridden creatures half starved and desperate to get laid.
    Let's be honest here; a lot of the noises humans make are because we're hungry and horny, too.

Of course, humans tend to be noisiest when we're drunk off our asses.
    IN MEMORIAM 1983-2013. Bot as necessary.

Halforums.com - For the love of God, don't ask about the steak.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGirl

Natural rights? The only rights nature grants you are the right to kill and eat the creatures you're strong or clever enough to overcome, and the right to ultimately feed worms.

Everything else is man-made. You have whatever rights you have either because your government gives them to you, and hasn't pissed its populace off enough to cause a revolt, or from taking the rights you're willing and able to take for yourself by force, either individually or as part of an organization. The latter has been how most of the free world got the rights they have. If you don't believe me, read your people's constitution, if you have one, to a tornado or a bear that's bearing down on you, then come and tell us how it went.

I could argue this but.. board rules. Anyway.

I'm kinda shocked that this has gotten six pages of comments. PETA isn't worth the brainbytes.