New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Breakdown (A 3.5 Sci-Fi/Fantasy Setting, Very WIP)

Breakdown
    Here's placeholders and whatever bits of information I've cobbled together.

We are open for business!
    Setting Tone
    This isn't your typical setting. Breakdown is intended to be a deconstructor fleet, examining the building blocks of science fiction and fantasy, as well as many other tropes.

Rule Changes
    A few of the rules from Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 work differently in Breakdown.

Favored Class:
    Each race has a favored class with which they are particularly well-suited to. When a character gains a level in his favored class, he gains 1 extra skill point. Unlike standard settings, Breakdown characters take no XP penalty for multiclassing. A race with "any" as a favored class (such as human) gains the extra skill point at every level.
    Last edited by TabletopNuke; 2010-04-04 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Update
    Keep 3.5 alive!
    Creepy psychics, shark dogs, and whatever else I feel like drawing.
    Sci-Fi/Fantasy Homebrew Setting: Breakdown

I am willing and able to critique 3.5 homebrews. I'm still learning though, and I may not be able to help with unfamiliar material. PM me if you are having trouble getting your work reviewed.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default History and Organizations

History
    Coming Soon Someday
    Organizations
    You are now entering a brainstorming zone:

The Phoenix Alliance:
    The Phoenix Alliance is an organization of individuals who believe that society has become corrupted beyond repair. They feel that all of civilization must be destroyed and began anew, an event they refer to as “the Great Rebirth”. Their symbol is a red phoenix rising from a white orb surrounded by a burning corona.

The main body of the Phoenix Alliance is divided into three branches. The Eyes of the Phoenix manages intelligence and espionage. The Talons of the Phoenix is in charge of military strategy and anything that requires force. The Wings of the Phoenix handles medical responsibilities and provides aid to those in need, easing the suffering of the world until the day it can be reborn.

The Phoenix Alliance is a surprisingly widespread organization, counting over 60,000 members spread across nearly every major human city on Earth. Agents don't flaunt their membership, but they take no pains to conceal it either. The true, nihilistic goal of the Alliance is not common knowledge. The occasional "street-preacher" speaking of a "Great Rebirth" as they aid the destitute isn't a terribly uncommon sight. Most people simply shrug them off as religious and nothing more.

The Last Pyre:
    An extremist splinter group that split off from the Phoenix Alliance, the Last Pyre retains much of the original dogma, but a slightly different goal. Rather than destroy the world and begin anew, the Last Pyre seeks the permanent unmaking of all existence. Their symbol is similar to that of the Phoenix Alliance, a burning white orb, but lacks the Phoenix rising from the flames.

The members of the Last Pyre believe that rebirth will only lead to the same pain and mistakes as before. This conflict is what led to their split form the Phoenix Alliance. The nonviolent schism left the parent organization only slightly weakened, as the dissenters made up a very small percentage of the Alliance. At the time of it's creation, the Last Pyre consisted of only 2,500 members. However, this number has since increased to nearly 10,000, and continues to grow.
    Last edited by TabletopNuke; 2009-12-15 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Update
    Keep 3.5 alive!

I am willing and able to critique 3.5 homebrews. I'm still learning though, and I may not be able to help with unfamiliar material. PM me if you are having trouble getting your work reviewed.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Default The Multicosm

The Multicosm

A lot more on the way!

Earth is but a single planet among billions in the Milky Way galaxy, and the Milky Way is only one of billions in the universe. The universe In turn, referred to as the Macrocosm among those knowledgeable in the field of cosmology, is one of many parallel universes. This exact number is immeasurable, because the different universes are normally separated by an omipresent barrier, called the Wall. All of these universes, along with the Wall as a collective whole make up the Multicosm.

Rifts

Each universe is completely enclosed within the Wall, isolated from all other dimensions. No known power, whether magical, psychic, or technological in nature, can penetrate the Wall. Yet the Wall is cracking.

On occasion, an unexplained weak point in the Wall fractures, creating a dimensional rift. These rifts allow one universe to leak into another. Rifts range from less than a foot to hundreds of miles long, though rifts that large are extremely rare, and currently absent from Earth's universe. Rifts do grow, though usually very slowly, perhaps half an inch a year.

The area surrounding a rift is influenced by the dimension on the other side. This affected area, called a rift zone, can take a wide variety of forms, depending on the specific features of the interacting dimensions.Rift zones vary in size, depending on the size of the rift. A typical rift zone extends from the rift's edge about a mile per foot of rift. They grow in proportion with the growing rifts.

Rifts are virtually impossible to detect until the surrounding area manifests effects of the rift's influence. When a rift zone forms in a city, the consequences can be disastrous. The area is immediately evacuated, and all refugees are carefully monitored for signs of mutation from exposure to the extradimensional energy. Despite the dire threat of mutation, the worst danger a rift poses is the fact that it can serve as a gateway to Earth's dimension for the inhabitants on the other side

Dimensions
    Several different universes have rifts, exposing them to other worlds. There is no way of determining the actual number of dimensions, since the Wall isolates them as long as it stays intact.

These descriptions use the planar trait descriptions used in the Dungeon Master's Guide and the Manual of the Planes.

Khyerba:
    • Variable Gravity: The gravity of Khyerba varies, depending on the proximity to Khyik and Soonuk.
    • Normal Time
    • Alterable Morphic
    • Air Dominant
    • Water Dominant
    • Limited Size: Khybera is a sphere a little over 4 million miles across.

From the perspective of many foreigners, Khyerba (pronounced Kie-air-bah) is a forbidding and inhospitable realm, an endless expanse of ice miles thick, sandwiched between snow-choked sky and a frigid, lightless ocean. However, it actually a vivacious world with a wide variety of uniquely adapted native life forms.

Khyerba is a “hollow dimension”, meaning that the dimension is essentially a bubble within the Wall. However, this bubble is over 4 million miles across, giving it the illusion of being flat, in the same fashion that Earth appears flat due to it’s size.

The center of Khyerba is a celestial body called Khyik (pronounced kie-ick), similar to a small sun, save for the fact that it absorbs heat, rather than producing it. Khyik is about 12,000 miles across, and glows with a cool, white light, illuminating the rest of the world. Night and seasons are alien concepts to Khyerba’s natives.

The process by which Khyik absorbs heat actually produces oxygen, creating an atmosphere similar to that on earth. The closer an area is to Khyik, the higher the air’s oxygen content. Near the center of Khyerba, within 200 miles of Khyik, the air is nearly pure oxygen. 200 to 4000 miles from Khyik, oxygen makes up about 90% of the air.

Reactions caused by pressure change and water vapor in the air produce clouds. Blizzards are extremely common, present 50% of the time in some areas.

Surrounding the sky is an immense body of water, referred to as Bashev (Bah-sheh-v) by the natives. Not truly an ocean, as it has a very low salt content, Bashev is still often called a sea. Bashev is over 50 miles deep, excluding the ever-present layer of ice, which ranges from 50 feet to 7 miles in thickness. This layer of ice, Tubashev (Too-bah-sheh-v), is the closest approximation to land present in Khyerba.

10 miles below Tubashev and deeper, Bashev becomes increasingly dense, extreme pressure compressing the water itself. At 20 miles below Tubashev, The water actually begins to solidify into a gel-like consistency. At 35 miles below Tubashev, the water solidifies. The outermost 15 miles of Khyerba form a region called Soonuk (Soon-uck), nigh-impenetrable, rock-hard water.

Much of Khyerba is preternaturally cold. Air temperatures vary, depending on the proximity to Khyik. range from 0°F on the icy surface of Tubashev to as low as -435°F (just slightly above absolute zero) near the cold sun.

Leisha:

Leisha is a world (planet?) with a very large, stable rift at the north pole, leaving a considerable portion of the northern hemisphere uninhabitable. Mutated monstrosities dwell in the massive rift zone, a chaotic, ever-shifting landscape.

Other than the rift zone monsters, Leisha has three sentient species:

Gravichi: Winged repto-avians with moderate magic power, mostly nature-based and healing magic (favored class something in-between bard and ranger?). Their tech level is about standard for DnD, with only the low end of magic items. They're pretty good with alchemy and herbalism, though.

Kongarwul: Small fox-like creatures (think kobolds with fur) with a magically advanced society (favored class sorcerer?), especially abjuration and divination. Their tech is just below Eberron.

Akka'grrei: Magic-resistant wolf-creatures with regenerative abilities but no magic of their own, skilled in stealth, combat, and tactics. They have very low tech, no metalworking or armor. They do craft simple throwing weapons and are even more skilled with herbalism than the gravichi.

The three dominant species are all primarily carnivorous, and territory is at a premium, since about a third of the northern hemisphere is off-limits. As small creatures in a world of predators, the kongarwul have an instinctive fear of the other two species. These factors have resulted in a long history of conflict.

The kongarwul and gravichi have been at war for a long time. Both groups avoid close combat, as the gravichi have frail builds and hollow bones, while the kongarwul are small and weak.

The gravichi prefer tactics that take advantage of their superior maneuverability (flight and swimming). They mostly rely on guerilla tactics with ranged weapons. However the gravichi are more willing to risk melee than the kongarwul, since they have healing magic.

The kongarwul's most powerful weapon is their magic, though casters make up a minority of the population. They don't have that many "blasters", but do excel in battlefield control, especially restricting movement. They also use divination for espionage and tactics.

The kongarwul have been far more successful in the ongoing war, dominating most of the southern lands and confining the gravichi to a small portion of the west.

The akka'grrei live to the north, intentionally serving as a barrier between the dangers of the rift zone and the rest of Leisha. Resistant to magic and physical afflictions alike, they are much less likely to succumb to the effects of the rift zone. Life on the edge of the rift zone is harsh. Even with their special abilities, the most valuable asset to the akka'grrei is their wit and cunning. Living without magic in a world like Leisha, tactics and stealth are vital to their survival.

The other two races view the akka'grrei as savage, deadly beasts of near-mythical status. This holds especially true for the kongarwul, who view the akka'grrei as Boogeymen-like creatures.

Thoughspace:
    Coming Sometime
    Last edited by TabletopNuke; 2010-06-21 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Update
    Keep 3.5 alive!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Default Magic, Psionics, and Technology

Magic, Psionics, and Technology

A lot more on the way!

Transparency

Breakdown uses the Psionics-Magic Transparency rule detailed on page 55 of the Expanded Psionics Handbook. This means that spell resistance works against powers, psionics fail in an antimagic field, and so on.

Technology, however, is different from supernatural effects. Unless otherwise noted, technology functions in an antimagic field, and cannot be dispelled.

Those who use supernatural powers have developed defenses against advanced technology, in the form of spells such as antitech field. Likewise, some technologically advanced societies that find themselves in conflict with the supernatural have devices machines that mimic effects such asnull psionics field.

Magic

There are two primary categories of magic, extrinsic and intrinsic. Extrinsic spells draw their power from external sources, whereas intrinsic spells are fueled by the caster’s own magical aura. Unless otherwise noted, extrinsic magic is identical to divine magic, and intrinsic magic is identical to arcane magic.

Aura

“Aura” refers to the supernatural energy that accompanies magic. This energy is completely undetectable to those lacking supernatural power, but can carry a wealth of information to those intimately familiar with the supernatural.

Extrinsic: Conduction Aura
    Intrinsic: Essential Aura

Magic Words, Mystical Gestures, Runes, and Spell Components

Certain seemingly innocuous shapes, sounds, and objects are natural conductors of magic or have innate magical potential. Magic is difficult to control, and most mages require carefully executed gestures and incantations to properly shape and channel it.

The language of magic is called Runic. Its written form, sometimes called Runescript, is made of hundreds of intricate symbols, all potent with magical conductivity. Spoken Runic is used for little outside of spellcasting. It is an unwieldy, tongue-twisting language, containing many sounds difficult for humanoids mouths to produce. The brief utterances required for spellcasting are easy enough to speak, with the proper training. However, a full conversation, or even a single sentence is virtually impossible.

Extrinsic Spells

Mastering extrinsic magic requires long periods of meditation, strict mental conditioning, and incredible willpower. An extrinsic caster becomes a magical conduit, channeling mystical energy from their environment and reshaping it to their liking.

Extrinsic spells often require a specially crafted, rune-inscribed disc to focus the magical energy into the desired effect. This talisman, usually referred to as a “focus disk”, affects extrinsic magical energy in a manner similar to the way an ordinary prism or lens shapes and focuses light. A focus disk works in the same way as a divine focus, and costs the same amount.

Intrinsic Spells

Intrinsic spellcasting requires an inborn magical aura called an essential aura. However, simply possessing such an aura doesn’t mean a creature is capable of intrinsic casting, merely that it has the potential to do so. Typically, a creature born without an essential aura will never be able to use intrinsic magic, though extraordinary circumstances have been known to endow such beings with required aura.

Intrinsic magic is typically more difficult to use than extrinsic, because the caster must not only focus and control the spell, but also produce the supernatural energy required to fuel it. As a result, a single intrinsic spell generally takes longer to master and requires more complicated components than an extrinsic one.

Innate Magic

Coming Soon Eventually

Psionics

Presence
    The psychic equivalent of aura, expect a lot more sometime.

Technology
    You are now entering a braintorming zone:

I plan to rework magic items and UA's incantations into special technology. I also want to create a "Techcrafter" class by reworking the Artificer.

Skills:
    I'm thinking tech-related skills will include Knowledge (Technology), Techcraft, and Use Technological Device.

Incarnum:
    Rework incarnum into nano-enhancements (or something similar). The nanites themselves are fairly cheap (the same cost as any other training), but the reason the characters can use them to enhance their bodies to such a degree, and even shapeshift a bit, is the intensive training they undergo to control the nanites.

Soulmelds renamed nanoaugmentations. What should I call meldshapers?
    Last edited by TabletopNuke; 2009-12-11 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Update
    Keep 3.5 alive!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Default Alignment and Religions

Alignment and Religions

Coming Soon Eventually

Alignment

Religions
    Keep 3.5 alive!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Breakdown (A 3.5 Sci-Fi/Fantasy Setting)

Inhabitants

A lot more on the way!

Genetically Engineered Creatures
    Destroyers
    Therianthropes
    Keep 3.5 alive!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Default Classes

Classes

-HEAVILY WORK IN PROGRESS-

Classes in Human Society

Expert is the most common NPC class.

Common PC Classes:
    Barbarian:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Barbarians do not have the illiteracy class feature. A barbarian can chose one of the following variants rather than the standard class features:

Avalanche Barbarian: Avalanche barbarians seek to emulate the unstoppable onslaught of an avalanche through devastating charges.

Class Skills: Balance and Tumble are class skills for avalanche barbarians.

Ferocious Charge (Ex): When charging, an avalanche barbarian does not receive the normal -2 penalty to armor class. This ability replaces the standard barbarian proficiency with shields.

Relentless Charge (Ex): At 3rd level, an avalanche barbarian gains a +1 competence bonus to Armor Class against Attacks of Opportunity while charging. This bonus increases by +1 every 3 avalanche barbarian levels thereafter (6th, 9th, 12th, 15th, 18th). This bonus stacks with the Armor Class bonus provided by the Scout’s Skirmish ability. Relentless Charge replaces the standard barbarian Trap Sense ability.

Berserker Strength Variant (PH2 pg.33):

Totem Barbarian Variant (UA pg.49):

Whirling Frenzy Barbarian (UA pg.66):
    Fighter:
    Ranger:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rangers usually come from some kind of military background, though some are poachers, mercenaries, or even hitmen.

The standard ranger is practically unheard of among humans. The default ranger in Breakdown uses the changes detailed below:

A Breakdown ranger does not gain the standard ranger’s wild empathy, animal companion, or spellcasting class features, and instead gains the following abilities.

Quick Reactions (Ex): A ranger applies ¼ his class level (rounded down, minimum 1) as a competence bonus on initiative checks. This benefit does not apply if he is wearing heavy armor or carrying a heavy load.

Expert Hunting (Ex): At 4th level a ranger’s favored enemy bonus applies on attack rolls against such creatures.

Fast Movement (Ex): At 6th level, a ranger's base land speed increases by 10 feet. This benefit does not apply if he is wearing heavy armor or carrying a heavy load.

Focused Body (Ex): At 11th level, a ranger gains the ability to temporarily boost his physical capabilities. Once per day a ranger can use a standard action to add a +4 bonus to his Constitution or Dexterity score. This effect lasts for 1 minute per class level.

Swift Stalker (Ex): At 13th level, a ranger can move stealthily, even at a quick pace. He no longer takes a -5 penalty on Hide and Move Silently checks when moving at any speed up to his normal speed, and he takes only a -10 penalty (instead of a -20 penalty) on Hide and Move Silently checks when running. He still takes the normal -20 penalty when attacking or charging.

Trackless Step (Ex): At 16th level, a ranger leaves no trail in natural surroundings and cannot be tracked. He can choose to leave a trail if so desired. This benefit does not apply if he is wearing heavy armor or carrying a heavy load.
    Rogue:
    Scout (CA):
    Swashbuckler (CW):

Uncommon PC Classes:
    Lurk (CP):
    Psychic Hunter: (New)
    Psychic Rogue (WotC):
    Psychic Warrior (EPH):

Rare PC Classes:
    Mindscourge (New):
    Spoiler
    Show
    Humans rarely develop the primal power of the mindscourge, but such ability is a sure sign of extradimensional influence. Nearly all human mindscourges are found in heavily affected rift zones.
    Psion (EPH):
    Wilder (EPH):

Very Rare PC Classes:
    Bard:
    Cleric:
    Druid:
    Ranger (Standard):
    Sorcerer:
    Soulknife:
    Wizard:
    Warlock (CAr):

Prestige Classes

Master Sniper

Ultrascourge
    Last edited by TabletopNuke; 2010-03-09 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Update
    Keep 3.5 alive!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Default Character Options

Character Options

A lot more on the way!

Feats

Madness Feats

Skills
    Keep 3.5 alive!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Default Currency, Equipment, and Economy

Currency, Equipment, and Economy

Coming Soon Eventually

Currency

Equipment

Economy
    Keep 3.5 alive!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Default Faq

FAQ

Nothing yet.
    Keep 3.5 alive!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Breakdown (A 3.5 Sci-Fi/Fantasy Setting, Very WIP)

Rezzin' this 'cause it looks cool

So far, you've only given a tantalizing, yet miniscule taste of what's to come! I eagerly await!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lappy9000 View Post
    Rezzin' this 'cause it looks cool

So far, you've only given a tantalizing, yet miniscule taste of what's to come! I eagerly await!
    Oh, it will be. It's a massive project, but I chip away little by little every day. A lot of the flavor I have up right now is in the fluff on the destroyer page. If you hunger for more, sometimes you can find little sneak peaks in my art gallery (link in signature).

And thank you for the compliment. It makes me very, very happy inside.
    Keep 3.5 alive!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Looks good. Eagerly waiting for your next updates

One suggestion though; Perhaps you should break up the history section into Factions and History because right now it looks like theres only factions there.

Mind if I borrow this template for creating a setting?
    The accuracy of this post is questionable

The Endless Dungeon

The Neverending Dungeon
    Spoiler
    Show

Renewal A fantasy/post-apocalyptic/new world setting WIP

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lvl 1 sharnian View Post
    One suggestion though; Perhaps you should break up the history section into Factions and History because right now it looks like theres only factions there.

Mind if I borrow this template for creating a setting?
    I'll do that.

Go ahead and borrow it. I just ask that you give credit where it's due. If you have ideas that might be helpful, I'd love to hear them.
    Keep 3.5 alive!

15. - Top - End - #15

SolithKnightGuy

Nanosynthesizers for meldshapers in general? Or were you looking for names for the base classes

Incarnate sounds like it could stay

Nanoborn or Steelborn ? for the Soulborn

Totemist seems harder to find a name for

The Endless Dungeon

The Neverending Dungeon
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

I need names for everything. I don't anything resembling the originals would be too fitting though. The flavor's way too different. All I'm using the original classes for is the mechanics, and many of the class features (particularly alignment-based ones) will need to be replaced. To come up with names, I think it would be best to look at what the classes do:

The incarnate-based class will be focused on enhancing the character's body, increasing agility, sharpening the senses, an the like. I guess it could wind up being a decent skill-focused class, by virtue of it's class features rather than skill list. The best name I've got is nanobooster, which is pretty pathetic. Any suggestions?

The totemist-based class will be able to do some minor shapeshifting, tuning hands into claws, growing chitinous armor, and whatnot. I suppose it would be more melee-based, although still fairly competent with skills. The best names I've got are nanoshifter or bioshifter. Got anything better?

I'm not sure about keeping the soulborn. I've generally heard dissatisfaction about the class, so it would need some serious reworking. There's also a lot of alignment features that would need to be replaced. I suppose it's always good to have a base class with a full BAB for your system, though (that's the mistake psionics made, after all).
    Keep 3.5 alive!

17. - Top - End - #17

SolithKnightGuy

For the Incarnate-class, perhaps something like Adapter? Evolutionist?

For the Totemist, Cyborg? Splicer?

Soulborn, I'm at a loss for, best I can think of is Steelborn

The Endless Dungeon

The Neverending Dungeon
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

For the Incarnate-class, perhaps something like Adapter? Evolutionist?

For the Totemist, Cyborg? Splicer?

Soulborn, I'm at a loss for, best I can think of is Steelborn
    I'm tempted to call the incarnate-based class nanoadapter, but I'll consider that a placeholder name in case someone gets a stroke of insight and comes up with something better.

Splicer implies that the creature has been genetically altered (gene splicing). There's a webcomic called ""Waking Galileo" that already used the name splicer for their genetically engineered creatures.

Cyborg seems more like a creature or creature-type than a class. By the way, I'm thinking of calling constructs mechs, and living constructs biomechs.

There's no reason that the soulborn-based class needs to have "born" in it's name. I'm only using the mechanics of the incarnum classes, not the fluff. I'm not sure we can come up with a name for that one 'till I figure out more of the fluff for it.

There are some class features that really need replacing.

The totemist won't be illiterate, and won't have wild empathy. I think literacy helps counterbalance the removal of wild empathy, but only partially. What else do you think I should add? A competence bonus on some tech-related skill?

The incarnate won't have an aura or the detect opposition ability. Removing the alignment restriction should help balance that a bit. Do you think it's enough? I'll have to rework all of the alignment-dependent features, like incarnum radiance. Should I restrict the ability to just one of the 4 choices, or allow the character to chose one?

The soulborn is regarded as underpowered, comparable to the monk. As I said before, removing the alignment restriction will help a bit, but do you think it's enough? Smite opposition would certainly be more powerful.
    Keep 3.5 alive!

19. - Top - End - #19

SolithKnightGuy

I haven't heard of that comic before, I just thought Splicer meant one who splices which seemed like what you're doing.

I'm not sure tech-skills you have right now fit with the Totemist-type, I think I'll need to hear more fluff to decide

I've never played an incarnate so I wouldn't know

I've heard most of the complaints about the Soulborn being that it doesn't have full meldshaper levels and not enough smite uses per day. You probably want to speed up their soulmelds progression too, but not quite as fast as incarnate or totemist
    Last edited by lvl 1 sharnian; 2009-12-16 at 05:42 PM.

The Endless Dungeon

The Neverending Dungeon
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Nanoaugmenter characters have nanites in their bodies that allow them to alter their bodies. Depending on the augmentations they have formed, they can serve a variety of purposes.

I've been brainstorming and comparing the soulmelds of the different incarnum clases. Here are my thoughts:

All nanoaugmenter classes have an in-depth understanding of technology (particularly nanotechnology). The main difference between the classes is how they use their nanites.

The incarnate-based class creates more robotic augmentations. They can turn bring their nanites to the surface of their skin and shape them into metallic plating, for example.

The totemist-based class (I'll call them nanoshifters for now) can use their nanites for to alter their own bodies (to turn their skin into armor plating, hands into claws, ect). They don't have any of the "bond-with nature" fluff that the totemist has.

The soulborn-based class will be more like the incarnate based one, but with more focus on combat than skills. What rate should the nanoaumentation (soulmend) progression be?
    Keep 3.5 alive!

21. - Top - End - #21

SolithKnightGuy

Right now, they have 5 soulmelds at lvl 20, compared to 9 for both the Totemist and the Incarnate, so they should be increased to 7 or 8 by lvl 20.

They also have abyssmally low Essentia, only 10 at lvl 20, compared to 20 or 26. So they need to have increased Essentia, maybe 15-18?

Give them another chakra bind would be nice too.

They also don't start actually meldshaping until lvl 4 so maybe lower that to lvl 2.

They don't gain essentia till lvl 6, that should be moved down to anywhere from lvl2 to lvl 4

Chakra binds are only gotten at lvl 8, while the other classes get it at level 2. They need to get chakra binds by lvl 4 or maybe even lvl 3.

Don't forget to move up the Open Chakra abilities so they can use the Chakra binds

The Endless Dungeon

The Neverending Dungeon
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

I guess I should go start a thread for all this, huh? I'm a little hesitant to do it right now though, since I'm not done with the Mindscourge yet, and I'm editing the Madness feats. I'll probably do it soon, though.

I assumed that WotC had a reason for giving the soulborn such poor meldshaping ability. I wouldn't want to overpower the class. There are two options I'm considering. I could make the changes you suggest, or I could leave meldshaping as it is, and improve melee features instead.
    Keep 3.5 alive!

23. - Top - End - #23

SolithKnightGuy

I'm assuming that they meant to make a paladin-type class for Magic of Incarnum so... yeah...

The Endless Dungeon

The Neverending Dungeon
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Paladins aren't really spellcasting focused, so by that logic, the soulborn isn't really incarnum focused. That means that my soulborn-based nanoaugmenter class isn't meant to be that nanoaugment-focused either. It's just an extra.

I think it will be a much safer (less likely to be unbalanced) route to go by boosting the non-nano abilities. I could give the class another 1st level ability, one that improves with class level. And what's a good replacement for the smite opposition ability? Something Charisma-based doesn't fit with the flavor at all.
    Keep 3.5 alive!

25. - Top - End - #25

SolithKnightGuy

Maybe just expand Smite Opposition to a smite that utilizes the Nanites and makes it an Int-based attack

The Endless Dungeon

The Neverending Dungeon
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

How's this look?

Focused Strike (Te): Once per day you can focus your nanites to boost your melee ability for a single attack. You add your Constitution bonus (if any) to your attack roll and deal 1 extra point of damage per class level. At fifth level and every five levels thereafter, you can use a focused strike one additional time per day, to a maximum of five times per day at 20th level.

This ability is quite a bit more powerful than Smite Opposition. Its Con-based, rather than Cha, and it applies to all enemies, not just those of opposing alignment. The class also lacks the alignment restriction of the Soulborn. Do you think that will be enough of a boost to make it worth taking?

I guess I'll use the Tech (Te) descriptor for these effects rather than (Su).
    Keep 3.5 alive!

27. - Top - End - #27

SolithKnightGuy

I think the ability is great and a definitely needed boost as well as reducing MAD, but it still needs more.

The Endless Dungeon

The Neverending Dungeon
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

I think the ability is great and a definitely needed boost as well as reducing MAD, but it still needs more.
    What is MAD? I'm a bit behind on my abbreviations.

What other improvements do you suggest?
    Keep 3.5 alive!

29. - Top - End - #29

SolithKnightGuy

MAD is Multi-Ability Dependency which is dependance on many different ability scores.

As a paladin-type class, Soulborns needed Strength, Constitution, and Charisma; by changing the Smite to be Con-based, now they only require Strength and Constitution.

The Endless Dungeon

The Neverending Dungeon
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

How much does that help boost the class? Is that roughly the same worth as say, a BAB progression improvement, or an additional good save?
    Keep 3.5 alive!