New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC

Grimmgang groaned when he woke up, muttering Rain. I hate rain. Don't have anything stupid like that down below." He donned his armor and wound his green cloak tightly around him, covering his head with it's cowl. He spent some minutes shaking the sleep from his limbs, getting ready for the things to come.

With his axe resting lightly on his right shoulder, he looked at the others, not wasting words on a simple 'good morning' or something like that. "They expect us to come, but they don't know when and how. Instead of a full frontal assault we could try the windows to get them in a weakly defended spot. You saw the structure, could you make it through there in a reasonable time?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

"I think I could keep us under notice once we're inside, and secret tunnels aren't all that secret when you've trained your ears. The tricky part is going to be finding a way in."

Spoiler
    Show
    How much ability damage do I heal overnight? 1 in each stat which has taken it?

Also, I'm preparing my new day's spells.
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    You heal an extra d4 when I prepare Lesseer Restoration and cast it for you. (1d4)[4] Also I forgot to use some repair belt charges last night so I'll just go short today. Use one charge (2d8)[9] I'll put that belt in my HHH and wear the other one I have, though Shard can have the 2/3 full belt if he wants. Also I'm going to take out my Lesser Vigor wand (46 charges) and give it to Shard because we can't access it if I'm wildshaped and this might help. Though if Daiya has it on her blasty/controlly list then she can have it.

Morning everybody, Daiya how are you feeling? I have some power to draw this venom from your veins which should improve your condition. Also I've been thinking, when I take on one of the many aspects of Nature, she renders my possessions useless and out of reach. So Grimmgang, once we get in do you think your strong back could handle the extra few pounds of holding my pack to?
    Last edited by FuryOfMetal; 2011-02-17 at 03:12 PM.
    Awesome avatar created by Darwin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeavelli View Post
    DM says: *Anything, anything at all.*

Players think: "Obviously, the solution is murder!"
    Player Registry

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

"I'd rather not, Trunk. I need my mobility. I guess Shard can deal with it easier.
    I'll scout ahead once we get close. They keep patrols around the temple, knowing their rhythm and strength will be useful. Then we can decide when and how to attack."

Spoiler
    Show
    as a dwarf I lose no movement with load or armor, but Skirmish explicitetly limits me to a light load/armor. A dwarfen Scout isn't really the optimizers choice, bad synergy
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    ...but a flavorful choice nonetheless...

"I am ready, although I am not the best for climbing through windows. I will defer to your tactical expertise in the assault Sir Grimmgang. My strength is in supporting others and I am difficult to injure by your humanoid standards. Such is where the Cruciform has placed me in the Light."

The small spidery-legged clear crystaline cross perched on his shoulder perks up and speaks, though to most it sounds like a gibberish language.

"^%$$&* #$%^^*@ !(((^)%^@"

Spoiler
    Show
    In Celestial: "We are ready!"
    P.S. Spells for the day prepared (all 2 first level spells... )
    Last edited by TekHed; 2011-02-17 at 06:49 PM.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    thanks. I was sold on the concept the moment I read about Dwarfen underground scouts in CA

Grimmgang nodded. "Let's go the work then."

After checking the bindings of their prisoner again, he led the way back to the temple. Soon, the warm rain soaked through his cloak, drips of water running down his forehead and beard. He was quite unused to the climate of the jungle, but at least the rain kept the insects at bay mostly.

"Alright, we're close enough. I'll go ahead and take a look at possible entrypoints. Trunk, what about you, some aerial scouting could be useful too. No idea how often you can do that trick."

He neared the clearing, staying two dozen feet inside the jungle and went around the temple, looking at it from every angle. Each time he had a good view on one of the windows, he scaled a nearby tree to get a better look of the insides of the temple, trying to find an unguarded entrance.

Spoiler
    Show
    as usual, hide/MS take 10 for 21
    I'll also keep a watch for patrols and the rough time they take on each go-around

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

The windows are set too high in the walls to see anyone inside, but a faint haze of incense exits the windows on the east side of the temple, and occasional growls can be heard from the west. As far as you can tell, your best chance of remaining undetected would be an entrance to the centre from the rear of the temple. There is a single blackscale on patrol around the temple exterior, and you estimate he takes a little over three minutes to complete a circuit.
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Satisfied with what he had seen, Grimmgang climbed down the wet tree again and backtracked to his companions.
    "No chance on the windows; all rooms they lead to seem occupied, they'd raise alarm before half of us are through. Best chance is the rear entrance. I smelled incense in the eastern part, so I guess this is where their priests are. Taking them out first would be good, healers are force-multiplyers.
    There's also a single remaining blackscale on patrol, taking 3 minutes per go around the temple.
    Here's my suggestion",
    he said, making a rough sketch of the round clearing with the oblong temple in it. "We go counterclockwise through the jungle until we're on the backside of the temple, they'll expect us in the front. Let the patrol pass, wait a minute, then go in, aiming at the eastern section to hit the priests before the whole temple is aware of our presence.
    If anyone of you has magic to keep our noise down, all the better. I don't know how much force they have left; considering the size of the temple and a single blackscale as patrol not that much, at least in numbers. Trunk, what would their priests be, poison dusks, blackscales, something else?"

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    The rear would still be a window entrance; sorry if that wasn't clear.

Trunk, as far as you know, the blackscales are the dominant tribe in the region, and much more likely to make up the priest caste.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    ah, OK

well, change my suggestion then to entering there with a grappling hook, with take 10 everyone makes the check. Though Drasil would need to climb without the rope... maybe just a simple frontal assault after all? What do you guys think?

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

"I think it could work. I don't have any magic that will lower our noise, but if we are careful it should not be an issue. You're sure they only have one scout out?"

Daiya has already packed her belongings and tested her sword in its sheath and checked her quiver of arrows.
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

"Pretty sure. If I climb up and secure a grappling hook, we should all be able to climb up in short order. I have no idea what to do about Trunks companion though; he'd have to make it up without the rope."

Spoiler
    Show
    how about this:
    I climb up first, then secure my grappling hook with knotted silk rope. That's a DC 0 climb check for you guys, so you can use accelerated climbing(half speed instead of 1/4 for +5 DC) with take 10
    That allows all of us to get up there in a turn. Drasil would need to beat the DC of the stone structure, which may be 15, 20, no idea.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    The walls are quite overgrown, so the Climb DC is only 15.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

14. - Top - End - #284
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I think we're ready to roll out... Sallera?

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I'd've thought we wait for you guys to agree or disagree with Grimmgangs assault plan

16. - Top - End - #286
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Shard already said he it (dangit keep doing that!) was ready and would support the team...

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

Moving shortly after the patrolling blackscale turns the far corner, Grimmgang easily reaches the window, letting down the rope for the others. The window opening was not designed to be stood upon, and there is barely room for one at the top. Grimmgang can see down into the temple's interior corridor, shafts of light illuminating a pillar-lined twenty-foot wide corridor, empty of any lizardfolk. The window is about fifteen feet above the inner floor.
    Last edited by Sallera; 2011-02-22 at 11:28 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

After he saw that the upper level was clear, Grimmgang fastened his grappling hook, throwing the rope down and motioning to the other to follow up. Taking his shield again from his back and drawing the axe, he readied himself to defend their foothold if they got noticed before all made it in.

Spoiler
    Show
    alright guys, knotted rope with wall to brace against is climb DC 0, so I hope II'll see you up there soon

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Just in case it was missed, there isn't room for all of you to perch on the windowsill, so you might want to do something about getting down the other side.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

Daiya, upon feeling the rope land, grabs it and begins to climb as quickly as she feels she is able. When she reaches the top, she feels the distance to the floor, and indicates to Grimmgang that she has a plan.

Spoiler
    Show
    How many of us can fit on the ledge at once, then? I'd rather not burn all my first level spells on a feather fall for each character. Alternately, can I cast feather fall now affecting all of us, and it will last 5 rounds, so as long as each person jumps down before that we're good? I can get 5 medium targets with one casting, which is what our party consists of.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Fitting two is a stretch - you're rather squished up there - but yes, if everyone queues up on the rope, that will work, as long as Drasil makes her climb checks.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

22. - Top - End - #292
    Troll in the Playground

Shard follows Daiya up the rope, its crystal armor clinking and tinkling rather loudly. It jumps from the sill, floating down lightly as her spell takes effect. Inside the temple, the glowing light from within him pulses softly and adds a warm cast to the otherwise ominous flickering of torches...

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    it's just what - 10, 15 feet down? I autosucceed on tumble to negate the falling damage, so I just jump down and guard the corridor until the others are through

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

After quietly explaining her plan to Grimm and passing word down the rope, Daiya follows him into the hallway, landing lightly on her feet. Once Shard and Trunk and Drasil are ready, she releases her spell, allowing them to land as lightly as the first two. She pulls her bow out and nocks an arrow, ready to shoot down any lizard folk who spots them.

Spoiler
    Show
    Tumbling down after Grimm to land safely. I'll roll even though I've got a +10 check (including armor check penalty), trying to land quietly not just safely...
    (1d20+10)[20]

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

After a little initial confusion, Drasil manages to scramble up the vines, following Trunk off the window ledge with visible reluctance. Now that you are all on ground level, you can see a corridor to your left, and another leading to the right at the far end of the main hall. A large bas-relief of a skeletal dragon in combat with a horde of demons dominates the wall behind you, and the pillars along the hall are carved with draconic imagery. You can hear the low chant of a ritual from the nearer hall, and the growls and snaps of some animal from the other.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

When all were through, Grimmgang removed the grappling hook again; the blackscale patrol would be here again soon enough.
    Shaking off an ominous feeling from gazing at the bas-relief, he pointed left where the unintelligible chanting was coming from and carefully etched forward towards the source of the sounds, shield out front. "If you have any battle preparations to make, now's the time", he whispered under his breath before they reached the entrance to the eastern room.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you for just NPCing me through Sallera, it was the best choice. So lets go hit the priests as it seems the best idea. Also I'll share Luminous Armor with Drasil and keep her within 5ft of me. Always assume she's right next to me k

We should be hitting those priests first, you're right Grimm. However they'll mostly be Blackscales I should think and are probably more powerful than the average grunt we've been running into. But now we have a plan, I'll speak to you once we're done. He brings Drasil closer to increase their bond over the next few moments as Trunk casts a spell to protect them both.
    Awesome avatar created by Darwin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeavelli View Post
    DM says: *Anything, anything at all.*

Players think: "Obviously, the solution is murder!"
    Player Registry

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

You advance down the hall with utmost stealth, but the brilliant glow and decidedly unnatural footfalls of certain inorganic companions alert the priests nonetheless. Just before you round a bend in the path, you hear a sudden halt to the vague hissing ahead and a voice in Draconic, saying "Enemies, my lord!" The turn reveals three blackscales standing before a large altar, dressed in heavy robes over what appears to be armour. The centre priest wears a heavy golden chasuble over his robes, and the two flanking him are holding large golden censers on chains. Incense smoke fills the air, radiating from both the censers and further vessels on the altar, but even through the haze the high priest's fury is clear.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative and first actions, please.

Map (please forgive the hack job I've made of the editing; working with Paint instead of Photoshop is not a welcome change <<;;) You begin in the northern corridor.

Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    chasuble... heh. Been a while since I needed a dictionary

Initiative (1d20+7)[21]

so the round thing is the altar and that rectangular thing behind them what, some kind of shelf?

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Ah, no, sorry, the round thing is a hole in the floor. The rectangle is the altar.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei