New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: "I Saw This Movie One Time, Years Ago...."

Quote Originally Posted by Vilpich View Post
    This one is actually a tv show. All I remember is that this guy finds a fully functioning mech in a junkyard, and is able to buy it for $5 since everything is that price (I'm not actually sure if it was $5 exactly, but it was something like that).

I also have a very vague memory of...mutating cheese and a monster escaping from a video game. However, that might not be accurate

In any case, if anybody knows what it is I'm thinking of I'd appreciate the help! Thanks
    MegasXLR, ah, that was a good show. "Chicks dig giant robots, I dig giant robots"

2. - Top - End - #152

Post Re: "I Saw This Movie One Time, Years Ago...."

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantom View Post
    MegasXLR, ah, that was a good show. "Chicks dig giant robots, I dig giant robots"
    Thanks! It's been killing me forever, trying to remember
    Extended Signature here.

Darth Vader avatar by Kymme

SWSE Campaign:
    IC Thread
    OOC Thread

3. - Top - End - #153
    Dwarf in the Playground

Was thinking of getting a book for my niece, and recalled one that was about the right reading level, but I can't recall the name to save my life.

Set in the very early 1900s in New York City. The main protagonist is a young woman who has been left a letter by her estranged and now dead father that points to both a treasure and his murder. She teams up with a young photographer and together they try to unravel the mystery before her father's murders find the treasure or kill them. I *think* the title had Rose in it, but I am not sure and my searches have all failed.

Anyone recall this?
    78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.The players were attacked individually on the road on the way to town by werewolves. To survive, they had to team up then and there without knowing anything about eachother (literally -- all character sheets were completed without other players' knowledge).

4. - Top - End - #154
    Colossus in the Playground

Oh man... It's probably not the same thing at all, but you've just triggered the vaguest of vague memories with the "mutating cheese and computer game character" bit. Some kids' TV show, with an ice-cream truck and a theme park and weird creatures... What is that?!

edit: Oooo, I'm almost positive I know what you're talking about. I think I only read the first book... Did it have something about opium in it? What was it called... Oh, Ruby in the Smoke?
    Last edited by Serpentine; 2012-10-31 at 01:27 AM.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    edit: Oooo, I'm almost positive I know what you're talking about. I think I only read the first book... Did it have something about opium in it? What was it called... Oh, Ruby in the Smoke?
    *checks amazon description* Yah, I think that is it, though my cues were way off -- late 1800s vs early 1900s, ruby instead of rose... But short of finding a copy and skimming it, I think you found it! Awsome -- I may have a Christmas present finished.
    78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.The players were attacked individually on the road on the way to town by werewolves. To survive, they had to team up then and there without knowing anything about eachother (literally -- all character sheets were completed without other players' knowledge).

6. - Top - End - #156
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kalrany View Post
    *checks amazon description* Yah, I think that is it, though my cues were way off -- late 1800s vs early 1900s, ruby instead of rose... But short of finding a copy and skimming it, I think you found it! Awsome -- I may have a Christmas present finished.
    The BBC did an adaption of it ( which is out on DVD) in which the main character is played by Billie Piper who played Rose in Doctor Who which is either what you were thinking of or a strange coincedence
    Last edited by comicshorse; 2012-10-31 at 01:21 PM.
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

7. - Top - End - #157
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    The BBC did an adaption of it ( which is out on DVD) in which the main character is played by Billie Piper who played Rose in Doctor Who which is either what you were thinking of or a strange coincedence
    *sheepish grin*
    Actually, that is pretty likely (she's not my fav companion, but she was very memorable).

Weird how the mind works. Some connections are rather bizzare -- or that could just be me...

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ettin in the Playground

I have a book I can't remember. I read it in the early '90s, but I'm quite sure it was older than that. It was British or Canadian based on the spelling (it used colour and metre rather than color and meter), and was based around a pair of boarding schools that both had new heads. The girls' school was taken over by an ex-military woman that was obsessed with exercise and put them through war games (with dye-filled squirt guns), while the boys' school was taken over by a guy obsessed with standardized computer testing and strict rules. I think it was part of a series.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Colossus in the Playground

Doesn't seem like that much of a stretch to get "ruby" and "rose" mixed up - both 4-letter words starting with "r", both red, and even the ruby on the cover of the book is vaguely rose-shaped.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

So, we never did figure out Siuis's mystery horror film then?
    I hate an unresolved mystery.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    I have a book I can't remember. I read it in the early '90s, but I'm quite sure it was older than that. It was British or Canadian based on the spelling (it used colour and metre rather than color and meter), and was based around a pair of boarding schools that both had new heads. The girls' school was taken over by an ex-military woman that was obsessed with exercise and put them through war games (with dye-filled squirt guns), while the boys' school was taken over by a guy obsessed with standardized computer testing and strict rules. I think it was part of a series.
    The War with Mr. Wizzle by Gordon Korman, part of the MacDonald Hall series! Set in Canada, I seem to remember. I actually reread this pretty recently and it's still all kinds of awesome. Though my favorite was the book that came before: Beware the Fish.

THE DYING OF THE LIGHT
    A GURPS Zombie Apocalypse Campaign
    always accepting players

12. - Top - End - #162
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Zombie movie - 80s - zombies are caused by... a meteor? Or aliens? Black guy is super stereotypical for 80s grand master flash rapper mixed with MJ thriller red leather. There is a scene in a morgue where this old lady's corpse is reanimated but her corpse now consists of only a head and a spine. For some reason she is flying around screaming like a harpy.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Another movie - australian and american actors. Aaah people kidnapped and turned into freaks - the main character falls in love with a sister who is fused with her brother as a sort of two headed ogre thing.

-- answered my own question

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JfxCGAKhgQ
    Last edited by junglesteve; 2012-11-01 at 03:45 AM.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by historiasdeosos View Post
    The War with Mr. Wizzle by Gordon Korman, part of the MacDonald Hall series! Set in Canada, I seem to remember. I actually reread this pretty recently and it's still all kinds of awesome. Though my favorite was the book that came before: Beware the Fish.
    Incidentally, I happened to find the book in question at work today, though I didn't buy it. You were quite correct.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by junglesteve View Post
    Zombie movie - 80s - zombies are caused by... a meteor? Or aliens? Black guy is super stereotypical for 80s grand master flash rapper mixed with MJ thriller red leather. There is a scene in a morgue where this old lady's corpse is reanimated but her corpse now consists of only a head and a spine. For some reason she is flying around screaming like a harpy.
    Sounds half like Return of the Living Dead and half like Night of the Comet.

16. - Top - End - #166

I remember a stop-motion animation on VCR way back when i was a kid. It had sand creatures making other sand creatues (it was really trippy). I think there was music too. I can't remember much more than that.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Banned

Harry Potter?

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ettin in the Playground

Please tell me you're joking. Not only does none of that fit, the book has already been identified.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Dwarf in the Playground

OK guys, I have one: It was specifically a SyFy Channel original movie (although this was back when it was still called the Sci-Fi Channel) If I remember the plot, basically a bunch of scientists are working in an underground laboratory when they literally manage to clone a dragon Jurassic Park style...somehow. Anyway, needless to say the thing breaks out and starts killing them all one by one. I also remember that the climatic scene consisted of the survivors making it to a helicopter with them trying to outrun the dragon long enough for the military to send fighter jets to blow the dragon out of the sky. Does anyone know what this film is called? I saw it once when I was about 10-12 and can't find it since.
    Last edited by stabbybelkar; 2012-11-08 at 12:00 AM.
    Thanks to Sean Mirrsen for the Kamina Pony avatar.
    : sacrificing minons, is their any problem it can't solve?

"EAT HOT PLASMA DEATH ALIEN SCUM!!!!!!...I always wanted to say that."
    Blake-Aliens:Earth Hive by Steave Perry

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by stabbybelkar View Post
    OK guys, I have one: It was specifically a SyFy Channel original movie (although this was back when it was still called the Sci-Fi Channel) If I remember the plot, basically a bunch of scientists are working in an underground laboratory when they literally manage to clone a dragon somehow, complete with fire breath. I remember that the climatic scene consisted of the survivors trying to outrun the dragon in a helicopter long enough for the military to send fighter jets to blow the dragon out of the sky. Does anyone know what this film is called? I saw it once when I was about 10-12 and can't find it since.
    Dragon Fighter?

21. - Top - End - #171
    Dwarf in the Playground

HOLY S**T that was fast! And that's the film too! Thanks!
    Last edited by stabbybelkar; 2012-11-08 at 12:12 AM.
    Thanks to Sean Mirrsen for the Kamina Pony avatar.
    : sacrificing minons, is their any problem it can't solve?

"EAT HOT PLASMA DEATH ALIEN SCUM!!!!!!...I always wanted to say that."
    Blake-Aliens:Earth Hive by Steave Perry

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ettin in the Playground

I got ninja'd because I got caught up in reading plot summaries of all of the SyFy Channel movies.

I did not know there were so many variations on "monster shark eats people."

But yeah, sounds like Dragon Fighter.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

See if this rings any bells.
    A Mongolian ( I think) man in the PRC goes to the city to buy condoms at the advice of his cousin (?). Hilarity, I believe, ensues. While he is away, a Russian truck driver's truck breaks down and he freaks out when he finds a dead body.
    The man eventually comes back, without condoms but with a television.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

24. - Top - End - #174

Quote Originally Posted by 123456789blaaa View Post
    I remember a stop-motion animation on VCR way back when i was a kid. It had sand creatures making other sand creatues (it was really trippy). I think there was music too. I can't remember much more than that.
    Le château de sable (The Sand Castle) by Co Hoedeman?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    How did you have that image on standby......

25. - Top - End - #175
    Troll in the Playground

Here's one: it's a movie or short film that I only vaguely remember. It periodically came up on TV when I was very young, like 20 years ago. Always around the same time of year, like Christmas or New Year's, if I recall. I only randomly thought about it again today.

It's an animation, and the only part I can remember with some clarity is a scene near the end with a lotus flower opening, and someone waking up in the middle of the flower. I think the scene was supposed to be some sort of rebirth of the main character.

It's not much to go on, but does anyone have an idea what it might be?
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    Here's one: it's a movie or short film that I only vaguely remember. It periodically came up on TV when I was very young, like 20 years ago. Always around the same time of year, like Christmas or New Year's, if I recall. I only randomly thought about it again today.

It's an animation, and the only part I can remember with some clarity is a scene near the end with a lotus flower opening, and someone waking up in the middle of the flower. I think the scene was supposed to be some sort of rebirth of the main character.

It's not much to go on, but does anyone have an idea what it might be?
    Prince Nezha's Triumph against Dragon King / Nezha Conquers the Dragon King?
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #177

Quote Originally Posted by Fragenstein View Post
    Le château de sable (The Sand Castle) by Co Hoedeman?
    Yes! Thank you .

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

There's this one movie my parents dragged me to see with them about 10-12 years ago that I've been trying to remember the title of ever since. I'm pretty sure it's "The [Adjective] Mr. [Name]," but I might be wrong.

Plot summary (to the best of my memory at least; I was bored out of my mind during the movie and barely paid attention to it):

The main character is some blonde dude in 1800's England. At some point he meets an orphaned kid who's been living a crappy, abuse-filled life the details of which I can't remember, so the two of them run off and (IIRC) join the circus. In the end it turns out the kid is the illegitimate son of the main character's brother, who's a big-shot investor and hangs himself when he finds out.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Prince Nezha's Triumph against Dragon King / Nezha Conquers the Dragon King?
    Oh wow. Y'know, this looks so familiar. Going through some stills, this might very well be it. Especially that lotus scene I mentioned.

I'm just stumped as to why it would have been on TV all those years ago. Especially South African TV. The mind boggles.

Thanks in any case, I think that's the one.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

30. - Top - End - #180
    Banned

Please tell me you're joking. Not only does none of that fit, the book has already been identified.
    You said possibly British and boarding school.