New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Silly Childhood Misconceptions on Fantasy Elements?

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    Total tangential side note: Given that the difference between Light and Dark side seems to be presented as one of "cold will" vs. "hot passion" fueling your force powers, I've always wanted to see a Dark Side user who fueled his Force-use with positive emotions. Joy, excitement, wonder. "Look what I can do!"
    There are probably many sects among the local Lightside cults around the Galaxy who do just that. Mostly healers and shamans and diviners who use their powers to heal and help people.

But the thing about the Jedi, they want to be able to fight and manipulate people if necessary for the greater good. If you are a guy used to fuel your Force Powers with emotions, and one day you need to hurt or kill somebody, you will most probably use your anger and hate and fall to the Dark Side...

The Jedi need to remain calm and cool while using their powers because the sometimes use violence. A Force User who just heals could probably fuel his powers with love and empathy without risk.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Colossus in the Playground

Ah, so your hypothesis is that the Dark Side isn't about emotion, but about "dark" emotion. So "happy" emotions are light side?

3. - Top - End - #303
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, so your hypothesis is that the Dark Side isn't about emotion, but about "dark" emotion. So "happy" emotions are light side?
    Well in Shadows of the Empire (book) Vader attempts to use happy emotions with the Force and can't because he's grown too used to using the Dark Side (he does almost manage to heal himself with sheer rage).

The only books I've read where Dark Side is just emotion are ones that contradict how it is shown to function in the movies (the Corruptive aspects), and Luke wasn't using the Dark Side in Episode IV but was using the Force while definitely under sway of an emotion (Hope), and again in Episode VI when he was fighting for fear of his friends it wasn't the Dark Side, it was only when he slipped into Anger. Qui-Gon also professed the same and Episode II and III hammer home how the Jedi Order had grown blind and Yoda switches philosophies at the end of III.

So it's fairly well supported in the films.

Timothy Zhan, NJO, and some of the games contradict, but at least Timothy Zhan does so in direct contradiction to the films which mostly just points to being a flawed source.

Meanwhile Stackpole further show emotional light side Force use a lot with Corran Horn.

This is without getting into the Dathomir witches and the like.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

4. - Top - End - #304
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGuy

I'll throw my hat in the ring for the suction vampires...
    English is actually a very precise language in a lot of ways, and American English in particular has a habit of following other languages down back alleys, clubbing them over the head, and rifling through their lexicons that I think is very healthy for its evolution.
    My extended signature!

My PbP info

78% of DMs started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% who didn't, copy/paste this into your sig.
    Mine started in the battle arena of the capital city

5. - Top - End - #305
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    That's on the game designers, not you. That's a poorly chosen name for the class. It's not what people think of when they hear the word "monk". Hell, even if you specified a buddhist monk I'd think of something closer to the Dalai Lama and his crew than Shaolin.

We have the same problem with the "vermin" type, whose contents coincide exactly with the english word "bug" but are described in game using a word that generally also includes rodents
    That's an aspect of English. "Vermin" is an actual English word for any animal that is not useful but posses an indirect harm, either by spreading diseases, stealing food, destroying crops or disturbing game. Depending on the time and place, examples include foxes, rodents, insect pests and sparrows.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Whoa, some thread necromancy here. Funny, I actually remember seeing this thread come up back when it was living.
    I realized immediately after logging in for the first time that I should have called my account 'Dire Lemming.' Oh well.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sharur View Post
    That's an aspect of English. "Vermin" is an actual English word for any animal that is not useful but posses an indirect harm, either by spreading diseases, stealing food, destroying crops or disturbing game. Depending on the time and place, examples include foxes, rodents, insect pests and sparrows.
    Um...yes, that's what Bohandas was talking about. D&D defines "vermin" as specifically "bugs," but the generally-used definition is much broader.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    Um...yes, that's what Bohandas was talking about. D&D defines "vermin" as specifically "bugs," but the generally-used definition is much broader.
    Exactly. Although I admit I worded my initial post somewhat confusingly
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

9. - Top - End - #309
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Winter_Wolf View Post
    They're different in standard Mandarin.
    In Cantonese, they are even more distinctly different.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Lemming View Post
    Whoa, some thread necromancy here. Funny, I actually remember seeing this thread come up back when it was living.
    Which is rather appropriate considering the thread started with the undead (vampires).
    Last edited by Zilong; 2018-11-08 at 03:21 AM.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ogre in the Playground

While reading the Hobbit, I misunderstood what the elves were and imagined elves that work in Santa's workshop.

It made Rivendell take on a whole different tone.
    Last edited by Mordaedil; 2018-11-08 at 04:09 AM. Reason: Not Riverdale

11. - Top - End - #311
    Banned

HalflingRangerGuy

When i was a kid i saw a stage assistant's magician in an erotic outfit swallow swords, spin on the sword, and do a load of things with snakes and scarier bugs.

I thought that was probably her usual behaviour rather than just an act. and the show was displaying how inhuman she was. Like i imagined she'd go home and bath in a pit of centipedes or something.
    I doubt i'm remembering it right, but that stuff captured my imagination.

Vampire fangs
    As an adult, syringe fangs make a thousand times more sense than rip'n tear vampires. Rip'n tear isnt sustainable, moreso if you combine it with 'people bit also become vampires', unless the vampires don't need to feed often/are nomadic. Syringe vamps are the superior choice in any setting where supernaturals stay secret.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Bugbear in the Playground

I originally thought Vampires were like sabre-toothed humans that like ripped out your throat. I'm not entirely certain why, probably because I saw some scary art or a Halloween costume covered with blood or something. Later, after reading some token vampire stuff, it occurred to me that the straw-fangs made a lot more sense. Of course, now that I've actually looked it up and demonstrated a passing interest in vampire lore, I realize that both are normal interpretations.

I used to think that all elves were girls. I don't know why; but it made total sense at the time. I didn't have the inverse perception of dwarfs, though.

Edit: my god, I just checked the dates, this is an old thread.
    Last edited by LordCdrMilitant; 2018-11-08 at 12:43 PM.
    Guardsmen, hear me! Cadia may lie in ruin, but her proud people do not! For each brother and sister who gave their lives to Him as martyrs, we will reap a vengeance fiftyfold! Cadia may be no more, but will never be forgotten; our foes shall tremble in fear at the name, for their doom shall come from the barrels of Cadian guns, fired by Cadian hands! Forward, for vengeance and retribution, in His name and the names of our fallen comrades!

13. - Top - End - #313

Quote Originally Posted by LordCdrMilitant View Post
    I used to think that all elves were girls. I don't know why; but it made total sense at the time. I didn't have the inverse perception of dwarfs, though.
    http://www.handbookofheroes.com/archives/comic/woodelf
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

14. - Top - End - #314

D&D "vermin" type includes rats, I believe, as well. At least the non-dire versions. I'm pretty sure I've seen rat swarms as "vermin (swarm)" type.
    Maybe I'm misremembering.

This is a weird childhood misconception that is entirely due to how I first heard the words, but I actually thought "Scorpion" meant "were-panther" (without having knowledge of the notion of a were-anything at the time), for several years as a small child.

This came about because I was watching the She-Ra origin movie: He-Man and She-Ra, Secret of the Sword. In it, there's a scene where Force-Captain Adora calls out two characters' names as implicit orders to attack: "Catra! Scorpia!"

However, what I saw was the character Catra responding to the order by pulling down her visor and turning into a panther. So I thought it had been: "Catra, scorpia!" as in, "Scorpia" was a verb-order, meaning, "turn into the cat form."

It was several years later, after having learned that scorpions were arachnids with stinger-tails, that I noticed the second character, who was essentially a woman-scorpion hybrid that would not be out of place as the hybrid form of a were-scorpion.

15. - Top - End - #315

D&D "vermin" type includes rats, I believe, as well. At least the non-dire versions.
    Nope, animal

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/rat.htm

Omegaupdate Forum

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ogre in the Playground

The Aing-Tii monks put it like this: "The Aing-Tii have a different view of the Force. Not in terms of Jedi or Dark Jedi—of black and white, as it were—but in a way I like to think of as a full-color rainbow."

Fair.
    Bacon is credited with the creation of the Scientific Method, and I thought it made more sense to reference someone who everyone would instantly recognize as "that Scientific Method guy" than to search for a history of the Method and mention someone almost no one would recognize.
    Francis Bacon is most popular in UK and the rest of the Anglosphere, but for other European countries, Galileo Galilei is the first true scientist. Francis Bacon focused on the gathering and analysis of information, but Galileo Galilei took the next step, testing his hypothesis through well-measured experimentation and publishing the process so anybody could try to repeat them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    When I was pretty little, I used to think that witches were non-human magical creatures like fairies, ghosts, and vampires. Probably because they kind of got portrayed that way in some kid-friendly media and that's the general impression I got from stereotypical Halloween decorations and the like.

I even wrote a crayon-based picture story about a lonely Witch, Vampire, and a Ghost coming together as friends because each had the requisite skill/items to solve the other's dilemma - the Vampire gave the Ghost her enchanted mantle and gloves so she could touch things as a gesture of kindness. the Ghost could then find and bring the Witch's wand after it had been taken by an unruly crow to make its nest, and finally the Witch magically grew a field of giant tomatoes for the Vampire to sate her hunger, and everyone lived happily ever after in a big scarecrow of their design amid the tomato fields.
    Both in folklore (Black Annis, Baba Yaga...) and in modern pop culture (Bewitched, Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Charmed...) witches are often a species on their own right, or at least a special lineage with innate powers...
    Last edited by Clistenes; 2018-11-11 at 06:31 PM.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Clistenes View Post
    Francis Bacon is most popular in UK and the rest of the Anglosphere, but for other European countries, Galileo Galilei is the first true scientist. Francis Bacon focused on the gathering and analysis of information, but Galileo Galilei took the next step, testing his hypothesis through well-measured experimentation and publishing the process so anybody could try to repeat them.
    Yeah, but when someone mentions Galileo, I'm pretty sure most people would think "Excommunicated for saying the Earth goes around the Sun" and "Gallileo Figaro, magnifico!" before "The guy who added the experimental step to the scientific method". My point in the quoted post was that Bacon's name is associated with the scientific method itself in a way that most scientists' aren't.
    Last edited by GreatWyrmGold; 2018-11-12 at 03:32 AM. Reason: Said Galileo proved the Earth was round, oops
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Fanfic

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, but when someone mentions Galileo, I'm pretty sure most people would think "Excommunicated for saying the Earth goes around the Sun" and "Gallileo Figaro, magnifico!" before "The guy who added the experimental step to the scientific method". My point in the quoted post was that Bacon's name is associated with the scientific method itself in a way that most scientists' aren't.
    I dunno... his experiments on gravity trowing stuff from the top of a tower are quite famous too...

And in many countries Francis Bacon is barely studied in schools... Heck, many people I know get Roger and Francis Bacon mixed...
    Last edited by Clistenes; 2018-11-12 at 03:41 PM.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Clistenes View Post
    The Aing-Tii monks put it like this: "The Aing-Tii have a different view of the Force. Not in terms of Jedi or Dark Jedi—of black and white, as it were—but in a way I like to think of as a full-color rainbow."
    So the Jedi aren't actually channeling the Light Side and instead are actually channeling the Neutral Side? The Lawful Side?
    Last edited by ATHATH; 2018-11-14 at 03:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

20. - Top - End - #320

Galileo is the guy who got thrown in jail for writing a book describing a clear allegory for the Pope who had previously defended him against the inquisition as “Simplicitus”. He also was wrong about his model because he described circular orbits, which the earth-centric people rightly showed was wrong. The fact that the orbits were elliptical just makes Galileo less wrong than the earth-centric believers.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pauly View Post
    Galileo is the guy who got thrown in jail for writing a book describing a clear allegory for the Pope who had previously defended him against the inquisition as “Simplicitus”. He also was wrong about his model because he described circular orbits, which the earth-centric people rightly showed was wrong. The fact that the orbits were elliptical just makes Galileo less wrong than the earth-centric believers.
    Less wrong is about as good as you can hope to get with a model, and the difference between circular heliocentric orbits and elliptical heliocentric orbits is roughly comparable to the difference between a spherical planet and oblate spheroid planet (especially given that most of them are just barely elliptical, especially given that more dramatic orbits hadn't been found) - sure, the spherical planet is incorrect, but it's a whole lot closer than a flat earth is.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ogre in the Playground

That's definitely part of it, but IIRC he also said he wouldn't support any particular side of the argument, but his book made it pretty obvious that he didn't support the side which Simplicitus supported.
    Also, I would have thought that "most people would think" and the Queen reference would make it clear I wasn't trying to write an accurate summary of Galileo's life.
    Quotes, more

Fanfic

23. - Top - End - #323

Someone researched an Epic-level Necromancy spell to reanimate mine own thread mostly to continue semantics debates about which creatures are “vermin” and which dead men are “scientists.” In what amounts to an appreciation thread about vampires using their teeth as sippy straws.

Truly, if this isn’t what it means to become one with the spirit of Giant in the Playground, then nobody ever has.

24. - Top - End - #324

Speaking of reanimation, a lot of kids don't seem to have any concept of regular non-reanimated mummies.

Omegaupdate Forum

25. - Top - End - #325

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    Speaking of reanimation, a lot of kids don't seem to have any concept of regular non-reanimated mummies.
    Mummies are interesting because they have perhaps the greatest range on what, exactly, they are in terms of horror monsters. From glorified zombies or ghouls to supernatural horrors to rival vampires, they tend to run the gamut depending on who's writing.

The manifestation of their powers, when they have more than "shamble and moan after victims," also ranges from derivations from their most notable feature (their bandages are often, for mid-range mummies-as-threats, depicted as animated under the mummy's control, like flat, elastic and numerous tentacles) to relations to the Biblical Curses on Egypt to body horror related to the canopic jars' contents.

They also kind-of fill a dragon-like role as the monster with a huge hoard in the remote dungeon-like environment. But they have a curse rather than enormous bulk. How magical they are in terms of retaliatory might varies almost as much as with dragons, too.

As a kid, I never got why they were so scary. The notion that they were undead eluded me because I only saw the cartoony, entirely-wrapped-up varieties. So why people are afraid of a guy all bandaged up and unable to bend his arms properly or move faster than a stiff-legged walk was puzzling.

26. - Top - End - #326

As a kid, I never got why they were so scary. The notion that they were undead eluded me because I only saw the cartoony, entirely-wrapped-up varieties. So why people are afraid of a guy all bandaged up and unable to bend his arms properly or move faster than a stiff-legged walk was puzzling.
    That reminds me of the end of the skeleton scene in Scary Movie 2. "Cindy, this is just a skeleton! This is bones! Would you run from Claista Flockheart!?"

Omegaupdate Forum

27. - Top - End - #327

I use some of my kids ideas DM some of the time. They think outside of the box and I like that

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ogre in the Playground

For my whole life until reading this thread tonight, I always assumed vampires are meant to syringe blood through their teeth. For the record, I'm fifty years old.

I even vaguely imagined they filter the blood back into their own circulatory system, rather than digesting it. (Why else would they be all pallid when starved for blood, but look like living people after feeding?)

On full reflection (EDIT: ha!), I like my vampires better, and will keep thinking of them as the default. (^,..,^)
    Last edited by mucat; 2018-11-17 at 12:53 AM. Reason: to say 'ha!'

29. - Top - End - #329
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Does it? Huh, I guess you are correct. I thought a swarm of rats would also be considered vermin, but they're classed as "animal" in 3.5 (and as "beast" in 5e, but 5e does the same for a swarm of insects, at least).

30. - Top - End - #330

Galileo is the guy who got thrown in jail for writing a book describing a clear allegory for the Pope who had previously defended him against the inquisition as “Simplicitus”.
    I've been reading Brian Cox's Wonders of the Universe, and in that, Simpliticus is portrayed as being Galileo's own younger self.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele