Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Barbarian in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Re: Useless but fun magic Items

Spoiler
    Show
    *Cannon of Canon

And if you can't think of a way to abuse that you aren't really trying; The ability to manipulate any religion in almost anyway you see fit
    My Home brew setting:

Concentric circles
    Necrotheism

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeZero View Post
    How very Machiavellian, professor Doom.
    Clever, effective, and anyone who agrees with it is a grade A global supervillain.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

Half scroll of wishing. To any examination or divination this appears to be a scoll of wishing, however, if it is actually cast it will give the caster exactly half of whatever he wished for.

Ring of Dubiously True Seeing: Grants the wearer true seeing as long as he's wearing it, but also causes him to see random hallucinations, indistinguishable from what he sees via True Seeing.
    Prince Fraternal of Pudding, Snuzzlepal, Feezy Squeez Lover, MP, Member of The Most Noble And Ancient Order Of St. George, King of Gae Parabolae.

Lego Ergo Sum

"Everyone's cute if you just look at them the right way"~Rebekah Patton Durham, Princess of Pudding.

"If they have stats, we can kill them... I'd like to point out that we also have stats..." ~ PhoenixGuard09.

Warhammer 40K: Where the faction that is a cross between the Inquisition and Space Nazis are the good guys.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Banned

Griffon

I've actually used this one several times. Got interesting results.

NPC Of Three Wishes

An old man who does not speak. He is only capable of answering yes or no questions by nodding/shaking his head. He knows everything there is to know, but it is up to the questioner (the PCs) to ask the questions. This NPC is willing to travel with the party if asked. Only the party, deities, and particular unique beings know he is there. Whenever any player, in or out of character, says anything along with the word "wish" that wish is immediately granted with least harm to the wisher as possible. After the third wish is granted, the old man disappears.

My favorite wish: In a 2E game the party met a werewolf who wasn't attacking. While unknowing the nature of the old man, the paladin player sighed "I wish I could cure you." Wish granted. Paladin could expend a Remove Disease and cure the werewolf of his lycanthropy.

4. - Top - End - #154

Coat of Arms

This magical coat can produce 1d12 arms per day from it's pockets, they do not include hands or shoulders and cannot be animated into flesh constructs nor into the undead. They do not have a taste and do not provide nutrition.
    They do not contain blood.

Ring of Faith

Once per day if the character and her party are unsure whether an action would be fatal to the ring's wearer the wearer may call upon her god to take a +2 save against fear caused by performing the action herself.
    Last edited by Hanuman; 2012-11-16 at 12:39 PM.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Banned

Griffon

Broom Of Sweeping

The broom of sweeping can be used to clear dust, dirt, and debris along the ground.

Cup of Holding

This item can be used to hold any liquid filling a volume up to its size. This function does not prevent putting small solid objects into the cup if one desires instead.
    Last edited by navar100; 2012-11-16 at 01:27 PM.

6. - Top - End - #156

I had a bard in one campaign with a hat that could be changed at will to any sort of headgear. Each round I would declare what my hat was, from fedora with a roc's feather in it to a derby to a top-hat to a ball-cap to a cowboy hat, etc, ad nauseum.

That hat went through 3 PCs from different parties as folks would kill the owner for it, creating a vicious circle of death and snappy dressing.
    Just in case, in any game I've applied to without being selected: DMs are more than welcome to use my submission as an NPC as they wish!

Huge thanks to Howl for puting some Boomstick in my avatar

7. - Top - End - #157

A staff of raise dead used by the necrophobic undertaker to raise bodies into coffins.

Necklace of necklace empowering increases the power of any other necklace worn (but doesn't enable the wearing of a ssecond)
    white text is the bestest you might want to look for it
    DeviantART

8. - Top - End - #158
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by navar100 View Post
    Feather of Ring Falling

Anyone holding this feather have their rings fall off.
    This seems like one of those items that's mostly useless, except for specific situations. Such as removing a cursed ring. Or cursed ring mail.

9. - Top - End - #159

Spice of Spiciness
    This spice will make other spices appear to be more like themselves, this does not improve the flavor of them but rather makes the spices used to make them more easily identified, granting a +2 circumstance bonus to know what spices were used in the food's production.

10. - Top - End - #160

MonkGuy

How about a belt of genre-changing?

11. - Top - End - #161
    Firbolg in the Playground

That would be a good way to get respite from sanity damage in a horror campaign.
    Unless it turned into a cartoon comedy...
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Hunter's Recruitment
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
    Saying no to a Sun's Hunter is as close as it gets to an invitation to have your place destroyed by them)\
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    In other words, be nice to the murderhobos so they don't murder you?
    Quote Originally Posted by JanusJones View Post
    The professional, well-funded, well-backed, card-carrying, licensed murderhobos, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Congrats, you made me laugh hard enough to draw my family's attention.

Life is Hectic.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

Cloaca of Charisma
    That's the Latin meaning, not the biological one.
    Last edited by nedz; 2012-11-19 at 05:15 PM.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Blightedmarsh View Post
    And if you can't think of a way to abuse that you aren't really trying;
    This fits for the item above as well.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Amulet of Drop Bear Warding - Wards against drop bears.

Hand of metagaming - a long but small spatula shaped object which materializes from the ground and strikes the PCs of players guilty of obnoxious metagaming for damage equivalent to being hit by a human monk of an equal level with superior unarmed strike and a 10 Str. Also for 1d4 damage when the DM is pissed.
    Last edited by BootStrapTommy; 2012-11-20 at 05:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    Kill a PC's father? Well that's just the cost of doing business.
    Steal a PC's boots? Now it's personal.
    Please take everything I say with a grain of salt. Unless we're arguing about alignment. In which case, you're wrong.

Former EMPIRE2! Player: Imperator of the Nihoni Dominion
    Former EMPIRE3! Player: Suzerain of the Phœnīx Estates
    Former EMPIRE4! Player: Margrave of the Margraviate of Rhune
    My Awesome Campaign Setting

15. - Top - End - #165

Anchor of Swimming
    This iron anchor weighs 5 tonnes and gives a +2 to swim checks when equipped.
    This takes up the face slot of your magical items and counts as a shield when equipped granting +0AC.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Double sword of Mighty Fists: While attacking with both ends of this sword, treat your unarmed strikes as being one size category larger

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

Bag of Tricks
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Warped Druid Handbook

18. - Top - End - #168

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    Bag of Tricks
    It's a summon natures ally III charge item but instead of a 11k 50-charge disposable item it's got it's 10 charges per week forever and costs half as much.

Sword of Swordchucks
    Whenever you score a successful hit with this sword that deals piercing damage, pulling the sword out of the opponent leaves a copy of itself that grows a chain with another sword attached, this copied sword is now an exotic double-weapon with the base stats of 1d6/1d6 piercing or slashing damage and crits on 20 for x2 damage, this sword disappears at the start of your next turn.
    Last edited by Hanuman; 2012-11-25 at 07:35 AM.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hanuman View Post
    It's a summon natures ally III charge item but instead of a 11k 50-charge disposable item it's got it's 10 charges per week forever and costs half as much.
    Actually there are three versions which do SNA II, SNA III or SNA V depending upon colour — but they always seem to just get sold.
    π = 4

Warped Druid Handbook

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

Sword of Swordchucks
    Whenever you score a successful hit with this sword that deals piercing damage, pulling the sword out of the opponent leaves a copy of itself that grows a chain with another sword attached, this copied sword is now an exotic double-weapon with the base stats of 1d6/1d6 piercing or slashing damage and crits on 20 for x2 damage, this sword disappears at the start of your next turn.
    How many swords would a swordchuck chuck if a swordchuck could chuck swords?

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Sword of Swordchucks
    What happens when you hit a second opponent? Does it grow another new sword becoming 1d6/1d6/1d6... because that'd be hilarious.

22. - Top - End - #172

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Proud Tortoise View Post
    Necklace of necklace empowering increases the power of any other necklace worn (but doesn't enable the wearing of a ssecond)
    Necklace of Necklace-wearing: A Magical Necklace that allows you to wear a second necklace.

Scroll of Summon Nature's Ally Negative-III: A Magical scroll that summons a Dire Weasel to the Caster's location.
    Which then mauls them.

Helm of Ineptitude: This normal-looking helm takes its true form and manifests its powers when the user dons it and speaks the command word. Made of brilliant silver and polished steel, a newly created helm is set with large magic gems: ten diamonds, twenty rubies, thirty fire opals, and forty opals. When struck by bright light, the helm scintillates and sends forth reflective rays in all directions from its crownlike, gem-tipped spikes. The helm may be used once per round, but each gem can perform its spell-like power just once. Until all its jewels are depleted, a helm of brilliance also has the following magical properties when activated.

To activate the Helm, the wearer plucks one gem from it an throws it at the target. That gem then crumbles to dust, and all of the other gems activate as though 10 Prismatic Sprays, 20 Walls of Flame, 30 Fireballs and 40 Light spells were cast simultaneously.

Centred on the wearer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    How many swords would a swordchuck chuck if a swordchuck could chuck swords?
    "all of them!"
    Last edited by Wraith; 2012-11-25 at 04:01 PM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Necklace of Necklace-wearing: A Magical Necklace that allows you to wear a second necklace.
    That would be awesome as you can further enchant the necklace of necklace-wearing.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Scrolls of:
    Bull's Grace
    Cat's Endurance
    Bear's Splendor
    Fox's Strength
    Owl's Cunning
    Eagle's Wisdom
    Each is a -2 to the appropriate stat
    Last edited by Gildedragon; 2012-11-25 at 04:21 PM.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eulmanis12 View Post
    *Cannon of Canon: A cannon that when loaded with a piece of literature and fired at a church immediatly causes whatever is in the literature to become part of the canon of that religion.

*Rod of Wander: A rod that causes the owner to have no sense of direction.

*Relative Pole: A twenty foot pole that decreases in length as your speed increases.

*Pole Vault: A large Safe that is always filled with poles of various lengths, ranging from 10' to 42'

*Polish remover: A duel purpose potion that when rubbed on an object causes it to no longer be shiny. Also causes anyone from Poland to dissapear.

*The Axe of Bar: Whenever a trap is spotted by the owner this axe immediatly points to the trap and loudly announces "ITS A TRAP!"

*Potable Hole: A hole that is not portable, but is full of water that is safe to drink.

*Potion of Regurtitation: a potion that immediatly causes the user to vomit

*Violin of Violence: A violin that when played produces music so bad that all within 20' immediatly become hostile
    For the first one: I write up a piece of literature that says I'm the only god int he world and that all should worship me, make a few to blast them at all the religions in the world, now all the religions worship me.

Rod of Wander: give an enemy this somehow, then teleport them into a desert. they will probably never bother you ever again.

The Axe of Bar: actually useful, cause a weapon that tells me where traps are, while a little annoying, would be y'know, saving my life constantly.

Violin of Violence: perfect for giving to a villainous bard and getting them killed by their own music.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ettin in the Playground

@ Lord Raziere: Read the Axe of Bar description again. That thing you describe, that would just be out of character.

I'd like the violin. Sometimes you need the other guy to make the first move. Any witnesses will go 'He had it coming for playing the violin so horribly!' and get laughed out of court. Just don't do it too often, or word might get around.

My entry: Magical dice that roll themselves with a command word that also requires a somatic components and has ASF. Or a chess game that announces each move in a hushed tone (possibly making comments on the history of the opening and/or commenting on whether the player is a moron for doing it), and conducts interviews with captured pieces (think professional sports people and sports journalists) if any player takes too long to move.
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook

27. - Top - End - #177

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    That would be awesome as you can further enchant the necklace of necklace-wearing.
    Sadly, there's an important difference between "a second necklace" and "+1 necklace".
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

Sadly, there's an important difference between "a second necklace" and "+1 necklace".
    It depends on the edition; 3.5, for example, allows you to stuff extra special abilities on pretty nearly any magic item for only a moderate surcharge, so a necklace that a) allows another necklace slot and b) carries its own special abilities is actually quite useful, since it can save on overall cost.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

29. - Top - End - #179

Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    Scrolls of:
    Bull's Grace
    Cat's Endurance
    Bear's Splendor
    Fox's Strength
    Owl's Cunning
    Eagle's Wisdom
    Each is a -2 to the appropriate stat
    Hey, I already thought of that one (with -4 instead of -2, but still).

Original entries:

Ring of Soundtracks: While worn, this ring plays soundtracks appropriate to what is happening.

Ring of Chickens: Causes the character to have the chicken-infested flaw for as long as he wears it. If the character aleady has this flaw, he gets two chickens at a time.
    Prince Fraternal of Pudding, Snuzzlepal, Feezy Squeez Lover, MP, Member of The Most Noble And Ancient Order Of St. George, King of Gae Parabolae.

Lego Ergo Sum

"Everyone's cute if you just look at them the right way"~Rebekah Patton Durham, Princess of Pudding.

"If they have stats, we can kill them... I'd like to point out that we also have stats..." ~ PhoenixGuard09.

Warhammer 40K: Where the faction that is a cross between the Inquisition and Space Nazis are the good guys.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground

Actually there is not. A character can put as many non-magical necklaces around his neck as he can carry, but only one magical necklace will function while around the neck.

The necklaces of necklace-wearing is as per the OP a Magic Item. Magic Items can be further enchanted. The original magic property of the necklace of necklace-wearing is to allow wearing another (magical) necklace. So you basically have two necklace slots (enchanting one will be 50% more expensive though for most enchantments)