New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Who Will Kill Xykon?

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I've been wondering who will kill Xykon (or make him more deader), because he is gonna be killed by the end of the comic, I personally think it will be one of three people (though I imagine other people might have other theories).
    1. Roy: It makes sense, the protagonist, the blood oath, and all that (making him somewhat unlikely to actually strike the killing blow)
    2. Redcloak: He's almost certainly going to start helping the good guys at the end, and he has the phylactery making it easiest for him to kill him, especially after the body is destroyed.
    3. Belkar: I imagine this one is less obvious, but I feel like it would be appropriate for his final act to be unequivically Good, and he would likely die killing Xykon (maybe his final moments will involve the clasp no longer hurting him).
    I put 100 GP on "not Roy" if anyone is willing to bet.
    Boytoy of the -Fan-Club
    What? It's not my fault we don't get a good-aligned female paragon of promiscuity!

I heard Blue is the color of irony on the internet.

I once fought against a dozen people defending a lady - until the mods took me down in the end.
    Want to see my prison tatoo?

*Branded for double posting*
    Sometimes, being bad feels so good.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mightymosy View Post
    Make it 20 quatloos.

Personally, I feel like "not Roy" will be applicable if only because I doubt Roy can smash a phylactery. That said, when it comes to smashing the body, Roy will be the most likely candidate.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2019-08-17 at 08:56 AM.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

"Not-Roy" is too vague to wager gp or quatloos. Also, what counts as destroying? 'Cause Roy has already done the deed if you mean corporeal destruction.

10 quatloos = Roy destroys the physical body of Xykon.

10 quatloos = Redcloak destroys the phylactery.

1000 quatloos = the true identity of Redcloak's niece will remain a secret until the sequel book, 'Broken Hearts and Broken Skulls.'

4. - Top - End - #64

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    "Not-Roy" is too vague to wager gp or quatloos. Also, what counts as destroying? 'Cause Roy has already done the deed if you mean corporeal destruction.

10 quatloos = Roy destroys the physical body of Xykon.

10 quatloos = Redcloak destroys the phylactery.

1000 quatloos = the true identity of Redcloak's niece will remain a secret until the sequel book, 'Broken Hearts and Broken Skulls.'
    I’ll take that first bet, and then offer another

10000 quatloos: Redcloak and/or Belkar will not die with an Evil alignment.

5. - Top - End - #65

WolfInSheepsClothing

I kind of assumed that the point of Belkar's protection from evil cloak would be to eventually show that he's no longer evil at some point.

6. - Top - End - #66

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalFailure View Post
    I kind of assumed that the point of Belkar's protection from evil cloak would be to eventually show that he's no longer evil at some point.
    It can also just be used to show that he is still, indeed, evil.
    Last edited by RatElemental; 2019-08-18 at 10:57 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    Make it 20 quatloos.

Personally, I feel like "not Roy" will be applicable if only because I doubt Roy can smash a phylactery. That said, when it comes to smashing the body, Roy will be the most likely candidate.
    But smashing things is what Roy is all about.

8. - Top - End - #68

Quote Originally Posted by Worldsong View Post
    Only smashing puny kobolds, that means he’ll kill the Oracle and KilKil!

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

Since no one else has said it, I'll say it: The Snarl. Roy's already hurled his bones at a gate once before to finish him off, I could see it being done again, only into the rift where he's either torn to shreds, or in the trope of every movie/videogame ever, merges with the Snarl, leaving Roy and Redcloak to somehow distract him while the Gods seal him for good.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Only smashing puny kobolds, that means he’ll kill the Oracle and KilKil!
    With a name like KilKil, his parents almost begged that someone murder him... He should be called YakYak
    Last edited by D.One; 2019-08-19 at 11:25 AM.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mic_128 View Post
    Since no one else has said it, I'll say it: The Snarl. Roy's already hurled his bones at a gate once before to finish him off, I could see it being done again, only into the rift where he's either torn to shreds, or in the trope of every movie/videogame ever, merges with the Snarl, leaving Roy and Redcloak to somehow distract him while the Gods seal him for good.
    I see it as being less likely that the Snarl would fuse with him in any way, and more likely that the Snarl would devour him and then realize there's someone right outside the gate, thus causing small tendrils to leak out and shred everything around it like what Laurin did.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

12. - Top - End - #72
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

I've been wondering who will kill Xykon (or make him more deader), because he is gonna be killed by the end of the comic, I personally think it will be one of three people (though I imagine other people might have other theories).
    1. Roy: It makes sense, the protagonist, the blood oath, and all that (making him somewhat unlikely to actually strike the killing blow)
    2. Redcloak: He's almost certainly going to start helping the good guys at the end, and he has the phylactery making it easiest for him to kill him, especially after the body is destroyed.
    3. Belkar: I imagine this one is less obvious, but I feel like it would be appropriate for his final act to be unequivically Good, and he would likely die killing Xykon (maybe his final moments will involve the clasp no longer hurting him).
    My money is on Roy trapping Xykon in a way that renders him not a threat (maybe getting him to destroy a magic artifact and lose all arcane spellcasting permanently, then shunt him to another plane?), thus trapping Eugene on the clouds. Perfect fate for all: Roy fulfills his duty while Eugene and Xykon are bored out of their skulls for all eternity.

Only catch is, I also expect V to lose all spellcasting ability as well, because that is the obvious conclusion to V's arc. Probably only Roy, Haley, and Elan walk away unscathed at the end of it all, I think.
    Last edited by drazen; 2019-08-19 at 08:28 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73

Quote Originally Posted by drazen View Post
    My money is on Roy trapping Xykon in a way that renders him not a threat (maybe getting him to destroy a magic artifact and lose all arcane spellcasting permanently, then shunt him to another plane?), thus trapping Eugene on the clouds. Perfect fate for all: Roy fulfills his duty while Eugene and Xykon are bored out of their skulls for all eternity.
    Roy only got into celestia the first time around because he died while actively trying to fulfill the oath. If he deliberately goes out of his way not to I don't think he'll get to just waltz back in. Also that sequence of events is so convoluted and hard to set up I really don't think Roy would ever hatch that plan in the first place let alone actually execute it.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I still personally think that one of the Snarl gates/rifts is going to get plane-shifted onto the Astral Plane, and upon destabilizing and detonating, will one-shot Xykon's big bad tomb-fortress into floating rubble. Possibly with Xykon or somebody else inside.

I’ll take that first bet, and then offer another

10000 quatloos: Redcloak and/or Belkar will not die with an Evil alignment.
    Is this like that meme where some guy bet $20 on that World Cup semifinal a few years back for Germany to beat Brazil 7-1 with Sami Khedira scoring, and ended up making just shy of $50,000?

Quote Originally Posted by Mic_128 View Post
    I like the book-ends aspect of this, and it certainly seems possible that Xykon, after level-grinding for quite a while at Kraagor's Tomb, is probably so deep into epic levels that even RC and the Order combined could not take him down.

I also like that said Snarl-doom-ending reminds me of Megabyte getting pulled to his (apparent) doom in a portal to the Web at the end of ReBoot's third season (of course, he came back in a much more dangerous form, but still).

Quote Originally Posted by drazen View Post
    Only catch is, I also expect V to lose all spellcasting ability as well, because that is the obvious conclusion to V's arc.
    If something ever seems the "obvious conclusion" to an arc, then this webcomic should have taught you a long time ago that it's not going to happen, or at least not in the way that you or I expect.
    I prepared Explosive Runes before writing this signature.

15. - Top - End - #75

Quote Originally Posted by TheNecrocomicon View Post
    I still personally think that one of the Snarl gates/rifts is going to get plane-shifted onto the Astral Plane, and upon destabilizing and detonating, will one-shot Xykon's big bad tomb-fortress into floating rubble. Possibly with Xykon or somebody else inside.
    Honestly... why? There's nothing of interest in the tomb fortress and Xykon is unlikely to retreat there because he thinks if he gets destroyed he'll regenerate there anyway.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    Honestly... why? There's nothing of interest in the tomb fortress and Xykon is unlikely to retreat there because he thinks if he gets destroyed he'll regenerate there anyway.
    It also has his most badass fortifications and traps prepared. If he sees forces coming for him which he feels are too much for him to handle, he'll still want to face them on his own terms, rather than relatively out in the open like Kraagor's Tomb would be.

It would also subvert the expectations of anyone who feels that just because Xykon has an astral-plane fortress means that anyone will go there to do anything significant. Also, the fact that he trusted Redcloak enough to lay a bunch of protective spells on the place would probably mean more distress for Xykon that Redcloak would have any hand in its destruction.
    I prepared Explosive Runes before writing this signature.

17. - Top - End - #77

Is this like that meme where some guy bet $20 on that World Cup semifinal a few years back for Germany to beat Brazil 7-1 with Sami Khedira scoring, and ended up making just shy of $50,000?
    No? Like, I can’t think of a single thing that my (fairly obvious) bet would share with that one besides being a bet.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    Roy only got into celestia the first time around because he died while actively trying to fulfill the oath. If he deliberately goes out of his way not to I don't think he'll get to just waltz back in. Also that sequence of events is so convoluted and hard to set up I really don't think Roy would ever hatch that plan in the first place let alone actually execute it.
    Not saying he would deliberately engineer it that way - more that he'd be trying to fulfill it, see a way to end Xykon's threat, and take the opportunity if it presents itself.

My thought this morning to tie it all together was that V will lose all spellcasting, make themself into a magic item somehow (can a person be a magic item in D&D?), trick Xykon into blasting them, and then he's just a lich with no spells. How he'd then get trapped for all eternity is something I have not worked out yet.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I Am A: Chaotic Neutral Human Sorcerer (5th Level)

Ability Scores:

Strength - 11
    Dexterity - 16
    Constitution - 11
    Intelligence - 15
    Wisdom - 12
    Charisma - 11

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Also, the fact that he trusted Redcloak enough to lay a bunch of protective spells on the place
    No he didn’t? Or did I miss something?

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

20. - Top - End - #80

Banjo could do it if you gave Elan a Fine sword.
    OI YOU! Join this one Discord where people talk 3.5 stuff! Also chicken infested related things! It’s pretty rad! https://discord.gg/6HmgXhUZ

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    No he didn’t? Or did I miss something?

Grey Wolf
    He DID cast a bunch of protective spells on it.

I thought when O-Chull tried to break it Xykon said that "we" had put so many abjurations on it, but he actually said "there are so many abjurations on it".
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    That's the fakelactery, not the astral-plane fortress, which is what TheNecrocomicon was talking about.

ETA: Wait, found it a few strips later. Xykon takes RC to the fortress to cast spells off-panel before moving on to the pyramid.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-08-20 at 09:40 AM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    That's the fakelactery, not the astral-plane fortress, which is what TheNecrocomico was talking about.Grey Wolf
    Oh, woops missed the topic there. Knew I should have gone back to look.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

24. - Top - End - #84

Quote Originally Posted by Mightymosy View Post
    Roy is definitely bringing the ambulant skeleton known as Xykon down to 0 HP or less.

The phylactery, though, who knows.
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    Oh, woops missed the topic there. Knew I should have gone back to look.
    No biggie. You did give me the link that allowed me to answer the question ultimately.

Grey Wolf

26. - Top - End - #86

1. Xykon will be killed, if only because his whole arc is about avoiding death and the Big Fire Below. I can imagine Xykon waking up there with the IFCC (and Belkar? Vaarsuvius? Tiamat?) there waiting to see him.

2. I think Xykon’s phylactery will survive log enough to realize he’s been betrayed.

3. Destroying the phylactery would leave Redcloak without a holy symbol, unless he has his backup handy. That might be interesting.
    The Giant says: Yes, I am aware TV Tropes exists as a website. ... No, I have never decided to do something in the comic because it was listed on TV Tropes. I don't use it as a checklist for ideas ... and I have never intentionally referenced it in any way.

27. - Top - End - #87

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    1. Xykon will be killed, if only because his whole arc is about avoiding death and the Big Fire Below. I can imagine Xykon waking up there with the IFCC (and Belkar? Vaarsuvius? Tiamat?) there waiting to see him.

2. I think Xykon’s phylactery will survive log enough to realize he’s been betrayed.

3. Destroying the phylactery would leave Redcloak without a holy symbol, unless he has his backup handy. That might be interesting.
    Doesn’t he have his backup on him? He’s supposed to have the phylactery in the fortress and his symbol was clearly different at Girard’s Gate (though it looks like his old one at Kraagor’s Tomb).

28. - Top - End - #88

He does right now. The Order knows the phylactery is Redcloak’s holy symbol, but they might not all recognize which one. Only Vaarsuvius got a really good look. If they take the wrong one, Redcloak may not have the backup on him when he needs it.
    Last edited by Fish; 2019-08-20 at 11:06 AM.

29. - Top - End - #89

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    He does right now. The Order knows the phylactery is Redcloak’s holy symbol, but they might not all recognize which one. Only Vaarsuvius got a really good look. If they take the wrong one, Redcloak may not have the backup on him when he needs it.
    That might be why Rich changed the design, compare this:
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0901.html
    To this:
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1036.html
    The design changed to match the phylactery meaning V probably couldn’t tell them apart either, which is interesting to say the least.

30. - Top - End - #90

That suggests a different plot point: that the Order obtains Redcloak’s holy symbol, which Redcloak knows is real, but Xykon thinks is fake. That only makes sense (in my opinion) when Redcloak has a reason to keep the real phylactery safe without tipping his hand to Xykon (something like, “Sir, we must give chase! We want them to think it’s real. If we don’t go after it, they’ll know it’s fake.”) because that creates conflict. If the Order gets the real one, then Redcloak doesn’t get to destroy it, and I rather think he will; I don’t really foresee Redcloak saying, “Godspeed, be sure to use Disjunction, here’s a couple scrolls of Greater Dispel, you’ll need them.”

Instead, I think the Order will send someone in (Haley? Belkar?) to take one, get the wrong one, leaving Reddy with the real one and no backup. They only realize it’s the wrong one when they get it back to V.

Heck, it’d be hilarious if V brought the phylactery to the IFCC somehow. Then Xykon could be killed, wake up helpless in Hell inside his phylactery, in the hands of the IFCC. Dunno how that would work, though. Sabine?
    Last edited by Fish; 2019-08-20 at 11:30 AM.