New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Is Captain Marvel the Most Powerful Avenger?

I am thinking if I had to pick one to carry the day it might be her. Hulk is strongest, Thor is blessed, strong and doesn't have Hulk's smash attitude or cha ging weakness.

Captain Marvel flies through ships.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Is Captain Marvel the Most Powerful Avenger?

"Most powerful" Avenger is largely meaningless, particularly since it depends on context.

In a space battle, Marvel is absolutely the strongest, her powerset is best suited there. In a straight "no tricks" brawl, Hulk could (eventually) neat up anybody. In a no holds bared grudge match, it's a toss-up between Marvel and Thor. i think Thor probably wins as far as melee ability, while Marvel takes it in ranged capability, which means it comes down to durability and speed...so I dunno who's taken the most damage and kept ticking there, and I'm also not sure whose combat speed is faster.

Assuming they're equal in every other respect, Thor takes it because his costume is better. Lol laser mohawk.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MarkVIIIMarc View Post
    I am thinking if I had to pick one to carry the day it might be her. Hulk is strongest, Thor is blessed, strong and doesn't have Hulk's smash attitude or cha ging weakness.

Captain Marvel flies through ships.
    Scarlet Witch probably has the same amount of power output as Carol, if not more, she just lacks durability. Scarlet Witch completely manhandled Thanos, she could probably do the same to Carol.
    I Am A:Neutral Good Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-16

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Witch is the strongest member (in the comics she has an arc where she remakes the universe.) She is also entirely fragile and human, while Hulk, Thor and Marvel are almost entirely inhuman. Thor gets shot by the heat of a star and lives in the movies and the Hulk isn't even really injured by Thanos or Fenris. I don't know how sturdy Marvel is but probably in the "tanking nukes" range as well. Scarlet Witch would likely die to a well placed firearm.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

What's the deal with Squirrel Girl? I keep hearing stuff about how powerful she is. Is she an Avenger? I actually am honestly asking because I have no idea. I'm willing to bet at one point or another 90% of the character in the Marvel universe were Avengers.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Hat View Post
    What's the deal with Squirrel Girl? I keep hearing stuff about how powerful she is. Is she an Avenger? I actually am honestly asking because I have no idea. I'm willing to bet at one point or another 90% of the character in the Marvel universe were Avengers.
    She's a joke character whose entire premise is she defeats people with the power of squirrels.

The only time I've seen her in a kind of serious role is when she babysat Luke Cage and Jessica Jones' baby during their Avengers series.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    She's a joke character whose entire premise is she defeats people with the power of squirrels.

The only time I've seen her in a kind of serious role is when she babysat Luke Cage and Jessica Jones' baby during their Avengers series.
    But is she the most powerful?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Hat View Post
    But is she the most powerful?
    What does "most powerful" mean. She simply ends up winning against some ridiculously powerful opponents she shouldn't be able to beat given her ability is to communicate with squirrels.

Squirrel Girl isn't an Avenger, so she can't count on that note anyway.

She's not shown winning by, say, punching Thanos or overpowering Doctor Doom but sheer force of power and will (no the squirrels just get into his armor). She wins the most absurd fights either off-screen or with the suggestion she does things with squirrels these powerhouses can't deal with. Do with that what you will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

9. - Top - End - #9

GreenSorcererElf

But can she dance?

'F' is the fire that rains from the Sky
    'U' for Uranium, BOMB!
    'N' is for No Survivors...

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    Squirrel Girl isn't an Avenger, so she can't count on that note anyway.
    So what you saying is she's far too powered to be an Avenger?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

She's a joke character. She defeated people like Thanos, Doctor Doom and Galactus, but it happens off-screen.

So on the one hand, yes, she's the most powerful, even if her power makes no sense, on the other hand, she's not ever really going to defeat anyone, since the fans would riot if she did it in a more serious comic line.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    She's a joke character. She defeated people like Thanos, Doctor Doom and Galactus, but it happens off-screen.

So on the one hand, yes, she's the most powerful, even if her power makes no sense, on the other hand, she's not ever really going to defeat anyone, since the fans would riot if she did it in a more serious comic line.
    She could probably get away with beating Deadpool in a Deadpool comic.

13. - Top - End - #13

Oh, absolutely, but for the most part, Deadpool falls on a similar spectrum in many of his appearances. People like the Avengers. People like the Deadpool movies. People would not want to see Infinity War end with Thanos about to snap and then Deadpool beheading him with his katana and mugging a joke at the camera.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

14. - Top - End - #14

Squirrel Girl was an Avenger(Specifically, she was a Member of American Idea Mechanics, which was a Merger of Sheild's Avengers Team and Avengers Idea Mechanics, which was, in turn, created when one of the Avengers found out that A.I.M was registered as a legitimate company and exploited that fact to buy out all their resources from under them. It was Published as USAvengers)

Though she is not an Avenger currently.

Squirrel Girl's usually a joke character, but it should be noted that she is canon and she does win legitimately.

Her ongoing Solo title(which is, unfortunately, coming to an end with issue 50 of its second volume but here's hoping) goes into more detail.

While a lot of her wins do some from the fact that she has physical attributes comparable to Spider-Man's as well as thousands of squirrel friends to help her, a lot of her wins come from the fact that she is intelligent, charismatic, and able to both reason rationally and appeal to people.

For example, Doreen defeated Galactus... By realizing the Pattern of Galactus coming to Earth and the Earthling Heros finding Galactus a life-supporting planet with no sentient natives he can eat instead and figuring that by this point, Galactus coming to earth was the Cosmic Being equivalent of ordering a carry-out pizza and just cutting the chase and helping him find a suitable planet.

She defeated Kraven the Hunter by making friends with him. After their fourth encounter, he tried to do a face turn. It didn't stick, but it got referenced in the Hunted arc of Nick Spenser's Spider-Man.

She will also maliciously abuse situational advantages. When she, a lot of her classmates, and Doctor Doom(from just after Squirrel Girl's first-ever appearance, because Doom mastered time travel) were stranded int he early sixties, in order to stop doom from taking over History she abused a paradox proof time machine to swarm him with a hundred copies of herself.

If she can't do any of those things, she can outsmart them. Notably, she defeated Nightmare with a combination of lucid dreaming and binary code(Most humorously, at one point Nightmare, makes her have a dream about Count Nefaria but she doesn't know who Count Nefaria is so her subconscious substituted Count von Count. "If you promise to leave me alone, I'll teach you how you can count to over a thousand on your fingers.")
    Getting back to the topic at hand.

In the MCU, yes, Carol is the strongest Avenger. However, that's mostly because the MCU does not synchronize with the Main Comics timeline when it comes to power levels. Captain America and Iron Man are a little stronger, Hulk and Thor are a little weaker, and so on. Carol in the MCU is decently close to her comics counterpart in terms of power, however.

In the main comics, of the Current Avengers, I'd say she's right in the middle. She's definitely more powerful than Tony, Cap, and Blade, but She-Hulk(who got an upgrade and is now more powerful than Green Scar at his maddest) and Thor(who now has an even stronger version of Mjolnir after a couple of years of being Unworthy and a few months of it being broken) both probably top her out when she hasn't turbocharged on energy and Ghost Rider(Robbie Reyes) is explicitly the most powerful of the current team.

(Of course, that's not really fair. Spirits of Vengence possess nigh-omnipotent levels of power. The only reason there's ever a challenge is that they, either automatically or deliberately depending on the spirit, limit themselves to be proportionate to the Sinner they're currently taking Vengence on.)

If you add in the Support Staff, reserve members, and side teams, she's much closer to the top but that also puts Boy-Thing(a little critter cultured from a piece of Man-Thing) and Doctor Strange in the "definitely stronger" level.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2019-10-04 at 02:30 AM.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    She could probably get away with beating Deadpool in a Deadpool comic.
    She has beaten Deadpool, a number of times.

In fact the only time Deadpool has managed to get the upper hand was when he lent her a copy of Civil War Frontline #11 (the one where Speedball rebrands as Penance), which upset her because at the time she had a crush on Speedball.

(She went to Latveria and borrowed Doctor Doom's time machine to try and stop Robbie from going emo, but some things are beyond even her powers)

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan
    Technically she doesn't defeat Galactus, but she does figure out his deepest secret (he comes to Earth when he's too lazy to find his own dinner, because he knows some of the superheroes will figure out somewhere for him to go) and they are friends now.

(Also, Squirrel Girl doesn't just speak to squirrels, she has the proportional strength, speed, and agility of a squirrel, which means she can lift about 20 tons, run at 60mph, and jump about 30m into the air from a standing start, so she's basically also Spidey without the webs)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    (Also, Squirrel Girl doesn't just speak to squirrels, she has the proportional strength, speed, and agility of a squirrel, which means she can lift about 20 tons, run at 60mph, and jump about 30m into the air from a standing start, so she's basically also Spidey without the webs)
    She also has retractable claws that are basically a weaker version of Wolverine's.

And on a sillier note, her squirrel friends occasionally demonstrate a Deadpool-esque ability to break the fourth wall.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Has anyone read the novelization of The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl by Shannon Hale? It's a fun read. The best parts are her test exchanges with the Avengers.
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2019-10-04 at 09:54 AM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

18. - Top - End - #18

Griffon

She has beaten Deadpool, a number of times.
    I think I remember the first (or so it was depicted in the text, comic history being as it is...) time that the two of them tangled.

Deadpool thought her gimmick was ridiculous, which is rich coming from him of all people, and he patronised her while laughing. She then demonstrated that her claws are sharp and strong enough to carve his face off, and that being able to jump 30ft in a single bound means that it will really hurt if she kicks you in the jaw.

Between her innate strength and his combat training, the two are probably at a roughly even level. The problem is that whenever Squirrel Girl is on the page, Deadpool becomes the de facto villain even in his own comic, and because he can regen anything that happens to him Deadpool will inevitably lose rather than... y'know... murder another Marvel hero.

That he is now fully phobic of her, cowering at even the mention of her name, probably doesn't help, mind. He's fully aware of her achievements due to his 4th wall-breaking antics, and generally refers to her as the Destroyer of Worlds while hiding behind something.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2019-10-04 at 07:58 AM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

19. - Top - End - #19

Squirrel Girl is my favorite super hero ever, and glad to see her getting some love here! Her solo book has been amazing. Sorry to see it come to an end, but I hope whoever takes control of her next does as good of a job. And, yeah, stopping Galactus through logic and becoming friends is just as legit of a victory as repeated punches.

I'd really love to see her in the MCU, mostly because they've been trying to approach solo films in different styles, and hers would compliment the rest well, I think.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    While a lot of her wins do some from the fact that she has physical attributes comparable to Spider-Man's as well as thousands of squirrel friends to help her, a lot of her wins come from the fact that she is intelligent, charismatic, and able to both reason rationally and appeal to people.
    That's kinda an understatement.

Squirrel Girl can calm down a raging Hulk, making him turn back to Banner in seconds.

Plus she's capable enough to break through Tony Stark's personal security and loot his Iron Man suits.

Squirrel Girl's evil clone defeated all the other heroes and villains in a matter of a few days by starting with the weakest and looting their special items in order to defeat stronger opponents and loot their better items in turn all the way to taking out Nick Fury and the rest of SHIELD along their helicarrier.
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2019-10-04 at 09:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

21. - Top - End - #21

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by KatsOfLoathing View Post
    She also has retractable claws that are basically a weaker version of Wolverine's.

And on a sillier note, her squirrel friends occasionally demonstrate a Deadpool-esque ability to break the fourth wall.
    Squirrel Girl is aware of the fourth wall but contractually obliged not to break it. Monkey Joe/Tippy Toe are under no such restriction.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Squirrel Girl is aware of the fourth wall but contractually obliged not to break it. Monkey Joe/Tippy Toe are under no such restriction.
    IIRC SG is one of the few people that take Deadpool seriously about 4th wall.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Has anyone read the novelization of The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl by Shannon Hale? It's a fun read. The best parts are her test exchanges with the Avengers.
    And the sequel, 2 Fuzzy, 2 Furious! Get them in audiobook, especially if your library carries them!
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JoshL View Post
    Squirrel Girl is my favorite super hero ever, and glad to see her getting some love here! Her solo book has been amazing. Sorry to see it come to an end, but I hope whoever takes control of her next does as good of a job. And, yeah, stopping Galactus through logic and becoming friends is just as legit of a victory as repeated punches.

I'd really love to see her in the MCU, mostly because they've been trying to approach solo films in different styles, and hers would compliment the rest well, I think.
    I could see Disney actually going for a Squirrel Girl movie. It would allow them to make a movie in the same vein as Deadpool while still being family friendly enough for a PG-13 rating.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

25. - Top - End - #25

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    IIRC SG is one of the few people that take Deadpool seriously about 4th wall.
    Deadpool is far from the only Marvel character to be aware of and break the fourth wall. Hell he isn’t even the best, She-Hulk was at it while he was still a generic Liefeld pouch carrier.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

In the MCU, I'd have to agree with those saying Scarlet Witch is the most powerful - by virtue of being the one Avenger who has single-handedly destroyed an Infinity Stone.

Captain Marvel is second on the list, for her ability to easily wreck capital ships.

Next one is Thor, glorious brawler and dynamo that he is.

This being said, both Dr. Strange and Ironman are capable of outshining any of them, given time to prepare for a specific situation.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Let us not forget Hawkeye, an Avenger so powerful that he abandoned his singular talent to become "regular dude with a sword" and they still let him stay in the group.

If they do the "secret invasion" arc I want Hawkeye to have been an alien spy all along, so him being an Avenger makes more sense.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Witch is the strongest member (in the comics she has an arc where she remakes the universe.) She is also entirely fragile and human, while Hulk, Thor and Marvel are almost entirely inhuman. Thor gets shot by the heat of a star and lives in the movies and the Hulk isn't even really injured by Thanos or Fenris. I don't know how sturdy Marvel is but probably in the "tanking nukes" range as well. Scarlet Witch would likely die to a well placed firearm.
    If they ever feature a far future All-Father Thor storyline Thor cannot only withstand the power of a neutron star, but regularly flies through stars as a means to destroy the bad guys.

29. - Top - End - #29

Let us not forget Hawkeye, an Avenger so powerful that he abandoned his singular talent to become "regular dude with a sword" and they still let him stay in the group.

If they do the "secret invasion" arc I want Hawkeye to have been an alien spy all along, so him being an Avenger makes more sense.
    Are you talking about Clint Barton or the new Hawkeye? Or did Clint become Hawkeye again? Seriously, that dude has had some many super identities.

If we're talking overall, I'd give it to Thor. Unless Thor has been nerfed more recently.
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

30. - Top - End - #30

Flumph

Carol Danvers as Binary is well up in the realm of chucking the power of stars around. She’s definitely in the top tier of Earth based heroes and with Worldbreaker Hulk and the Sentry.