New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

smile Alex Verus Series

This is the thread for my new urban fantasy series being published this year, the Alex Verus novels!

The US edition was published on February 28 2012 by Ace Books, and here's the cover:

Spoiler
    Show

And the UK edition came out on March 1 2012 from Orbit, and looks like this:

Spoiler
    Show

Fated is the first in a series, and here are the release dates for the next two.

Book #2, Cursed: 29th May 2012 (US), 7th June 2012 (UK)
    Book #3, Taken: 28th August 2012 (US), 6th September 2012 (UK)

About the Series

The series is urban fantasy, set in London, England. Magic is real, but most people don't believe in it and only a very small fraction can use it. The most skilled are called mages, and they can each use a specific type of magic determined by their personality - you can think of them in D&D terms as sorcerers or psions with very limited spell lists, or in WoD terms as mages who only get one part of one Sphere. The main character is Alex Verus, a diviner (aka a knowledge or probability mage) who runs a magic shop in Camden. Alex's magic lets him see the future but can't affect the physical world, and the first book follows his adventures as several other factions of mages try to use his abilities to gain access to a relic.

As of a few weeks ago, the series has a TVTropes page, too. Edits are appreciated!

Publicity with Jim Butcher

Genre-wise the closest match to my series is Jim Butcher's Dresden Files, which isn't a coincidence, as he's one of my favourite authors. In fact, we have the same US editor, Anne Sowards from Ace (she's excellent by the way).

Jim was kind enough to both read my book and send me a really nice email and blurb (which you can see an extract from on both front covers). He also did an email exchange/interview with me, which was hosted along with a review on Barnes & Noble!

My Website

As part of the run-up to the launch, I've revamped my old author's website, which can be found here. I've also started a blog, which I'm going to be updating regularly every Friday at 9 AM. The blog will contain reviews, news, and announcements about the series, but the main content will be the Encyclopaedia Arcana, a series of background/setting articles about the universe of the Alex Verus series.

The website also has affiliate links to where you can buy or pre-order the books (meaning I get a small extra amount of money) and extracts of the published and soon-to-be-published novels.

My Name

I've been on these forums for five years now, and one of the odd quirks I've had during that time is that I've always stayed anonymous (okay, any poster could probably have figured out my real name if they really tried, but the posters on these forums are quite good about respecting people's privacy). But there's not much point in doing that anymore, so I'm going to drop anonymity from now on. (I actually thought about changing my name to match my real one, but I've been going by Saph on these forums so long that I'm used to it. I'll just update my signature instead.)

Updates

I'll use this thread to post any further information about the series as the publication date approaches, as well as any Encyclopaedia Arcana articles. Post any questions or requests!

And finally, thanks to everyone who's helped out with suggestions or contributions over the last few years concerning my books - I've been a member of these forums for a long time and I've had lots of help from them.
    Last edited by Saph; 2012-05-11 at 04:45 PM.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Alex Verus #1: Fated

March 1st, you say? Colour me intrigued; I'll probably pick it up at some point.
    Add me on Steam!

Amazing albatross avatar by the lovely and very talented Ceika

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Pretty cool that Butcher wrote such a nice blurb for you.

Yep, it sounds good. I'll definitely take a look at it when it comes out over here. I don't have a fanatic's member card at my local bookstore for nothing
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

4. - Top - End - #4

**** this is awesome. I envy you with the strength of a thousand supernova now.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

5. - Top - End - #5

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    Pretty cool that Butcher wrote such a nice blurb for you.

Yep, it sounds good. I'll definitely take a look at it when it comes out over here. I don't have a fanatic's member card at my local bookstore for nothing
    Thanks!

Yeah, I've never had the chance to talk to Jim Butcher before, despite having spent so much time reading his books, and it was nice to do. He was really encouraging.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Might well buy a copy, but *reading* it is another matter...I have a stack of books about 3 feet high to get through first, and I keep getting distracted by video games!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

I remember those threads, nice to see it's getting published. Not sure why it would be out in the US first but I stopped trying to understand the nature of transatlantic publishing a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    The series is urban fantasy, set in London, England.
    You don't say?

8. - Top - End - #8

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Silver View Post
    You don't say?
    Figured I'd be on the safe side.

I actually got the UK contract first - the US rights came much later. So either Ace schedule their releases slightly earlier than Orbit, or they specifically went out of the way to release them a few days earlier.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Congratulations on getting published and on getting that Jim Butcher endorsement! I must admit the latter has helped pique my interest.

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Might well buy a copy, but *reading* it is another matter...I have a stack of books about 3 feet high to get through first, and I keep getting distracted by video games!
    My thoughts exactly.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Will be buying. As I said back when you were asking for title suggestions. Now I have an author name and title, so I shall be purchasing it sometime in the month after it comes out. Either that or waiting until all three are out and then purchasing them all, but probably better to see if it's good first.

I, sir, envy you.

11. - Top - End - #11

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery Diamond View Post
    Will be buying. As I said back when you were asking for title suggestions. Now I have an author name and title, so I shall be purchasing it sometime in the month after it comes out. Either that or waiting until all three are out and then purchasing them all, but probably better to see if it's good first.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery Diamond View Post
    I, sir, envy you.
    Heh, there were a lot of pitfalls on the way. Although this is the third book I've gotten published, it's the tenth book I've written . . .

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Totally picking this up

Rock on! Congratulations on getting your book published!
    Bienvenue Au Kébec !!!
    Improve Kébec's Industry!
    Improve Kébec's Transport!
    Improve Kébec's Security!

My Trophies!

Spoiler
    Show

Also, if anyone has any sort of problem at all that they feel like talking about, my PM box is open.

13. - Top - End - #13

Planetar

Second Encyclopaedia Arcana post is up: The Three Families. These are the 'families' of the magic system.

On another note, I'm going to be doing the email exchange with Jim Butcher this coming week. Trying to decide what questions to ask him at the moment - I've been reading the Dresden Files pretty much since they came out over here, so I'm looking forward to getting to do this.

14. - Top - End - #14

Second Encyclopaedia Arcana post is up: The Three Families. These are the 'families' of the magic system.

On another note, I'm going to be doing the email exchange with Jim Butcher this coming week. Trying to decide what questions to ask him at the moment - I've been reading the Dresden Files pretty much since they came out over here, so I'm looking forward to getting to do this.
    I am both so jealous and so looking forward to reading the book. Congratulations, Saph!
    Custom Melayl avatar by my cousin, ~thejason10, used with his permission. See his work at his Deviant Art page.
    My works:
    Need help?
    Spoiler
    Show
    National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (USA)
    1-800-273-TALK (8255), 24/7
    www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org
    In Australia: Lifeline, 13 11 14, 24/7
    Reach Out Australia
    Beyond Blue, 1300 22 4636
    The Samaritans (UK too) UK: 08457 90 90 90, ROI: 1850 60 90 90

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Seems very interesting, definately going to pick up a copy. The magic sounds cool and it will be interesting to see how it is handled.

While we in the UK need to wait longer to get it we get a cooler cover so I'm happy.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

That's terrific, congratulations Saph! This is absolutely on my list of books-to-get. I like the simplicity of the title, btw.

I read the first chapter, very enjoyable. I liked the Dresden reference, nicely done. Is Luna an English name? The only other place I've ever heard it as a name is in Harry Potty. And you may cover this later in the book, but I'm curious: is Luna's curse only distance-based?

17. - Top - End - #17

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by MammonAzrael View Post
    That's terrific, congratulations Saph! This is absolutely on my list of books-to-get. I like the simplicity of the title, btw.
    So do I.

I read the first chapter, very enjoyable. I liked the Dresden reference, nicely done. Is Luna an English name? The only other place I've ever heard it as a name is in Harry Potty. And you may cover this later in the book, but I'm curious: is Luna's curse only distance-based?
    It might be English (although I've never heard it used) but Luna has it because it's an Italian name - she's half-Italian, although I don't think I actually wrote that down until the second book.

The curse is primarily distance-based - there are some other factors that affect it, but that comes in later!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

The curse is primarily distance-based - there are some other factors that affect it, but that comes in later!
    So she should move next door to a crack house and develop major friendships online (say, a hardcore WoW player)?

Only 1 chapter in and I'm already trying to exploit things. Can't wait to pick it up!

19. - Top - End - #19

Picking up a copy when it comes out. Good luck. I hope you get movie rights bought.
    Ceika is a beautiful, wonderful person. The avatar was made by his/her great talent, and depending on his/her sex and sexuality, I either have a giant crush or a totally appropriate liking for him/her.

20. - Top - End - #20

Planetar

So she should move next door to a crack house and develop major friendships online (say, a hardcore WoW player)?

Only 1 chapter in and I'm already trying to exploit things. Can't wait to pick it up!
    Heh. Minus the crack house part, that's not too far off how I imagined the last few years of her life to have been like. She would have spent a lot of time online.

Quote Originally Posted by pita View Post
    Picking up a copy when it comes out. Good luck. I hope you get movie rights bought.
    Thanks! My agent's working on it, but movie rights are very very uncertain. One of the other authors my agent represents is called Eoin Colfer, whose first book was released in 2001 - the movie's been in development limbo for most of the years since then.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks! My agent's working on it, but movie rights are very very uncertain. One of the other authors my agent represents is called Eoin Colfer, whose first book was released in 2001 - the movie's been in development limbo for most of the years since then.
    Should you get TV/movie rights, I hope that what comes of it is better than the TV Dresden Files, that show makes me sad.

22. - Top - End - #22

Planetar

Should you get TV/movie rights, I hope that what comes of it is better than the TV Dresden Files, that show makes me sad.
    Never actually got around to watching that (although the changes didn't sound great). What was it like?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

It's something I might have enjoyed had it not been tied to the Dresden files. So much about the characters is altered that it doesn't feel right to call them the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    In a forum post Jim Butcher stated "The show is not the books. It is not meant to follow the same story. It is meant as an alternate world, where the overall background and story-world is similar, but not all the same things happen. The show is not attempting to recreate the books on a chapter-by-chapter or even story-by-story basis." continuing by saying that viewers should not expect a duplicate of the books, and those expecting it would be disappointed.
    For instance, Karrin is renamed Connie, and has a daughter. Bob is now a human ghost. And there are many more changes that ultimately make the show feel like a twisted, wrong, and not-as-good version of the books. I think you can check out all 12 episodes on Netflix.

24. - Top - End - #24

It's something I might have enjoyed had it not been tied to the Dresden files. So much about the characters is altered that it doesn't feel right to call them the same.

For instance, Karrin is renamed Connie, and has a daughter. Bob is now a human ghost. And there are many more changes that ultimately make the show feel like a twisted, wrong, and not-as-good version of the books. I think you can check out all 12 episodes on Netflix.
    While wrong, the tv show did get me into reading the books. For that alone I deem it worthwhile. To watch it after reading the books, though...
    Custom Melayl avatar by my cousin, ~thejason10, used with his permission. See his work at his Deviant Art page.
    My works:
    Need help?
    Spoiler
    Show
    National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (USA)
    1-800-273-TALK (8255), 24/7
    www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org
    In Australia: Lifeline, 13 11 14, 24/7
    Reach Out Australia
    Beyond Blue, 1300 22 4636
    The Samaritans (UK too) UK: 08457 90 90 90, ROI: 1850 60 90 90

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

For me, though, it did get the "feel" of the books right. Especially the first few, less dark, books.

Oh, and Bob the Human Ghost was kinda amusing, I must admit.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

NICE!!! Congrats! Especially on getting the Jim Butcher endorsement. Looks like I'll have to check this out as well...
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

27. - Top - End - #27

I hope you're not offended by this - don't expect a movie. I doubt such a thing will happen. Enough books are stuck in production hell (Not just Artemis Fowl, but Ender's Game, Death: High Price of Living, and Rendezvous with Rama as well, off the top of my head)
    But movie rights are the vast majority of an author's salary. If you get movie rights bought, it could mean that you could quit your day job (if you have one).
    I should add that I am not an authority, but I spoke to Andrzej Sapkowski (Most successful Polish fantasy author, and I realize that's not THAT great) extensively on the subject and he said he refuses to trash talk the movies based on his books because it paid him more than anything else he did.
    Ceika is a beautiful, wonderful person. The avatar was made by his/her great talent, and depending on his/her sex and sexuality, I either have a giant crush or a totally appropriate liking for him/her.

28. - Top - End - #28

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by pita View Post
    I hope you're not offended by this - don't expect a movie. I doubt such a thing will happen. Enough books are stuck in production hell (Not just Artemis Fowl, but Ender's Game, Death: High Price of Living, and Rendezvous with Rama as well, off the top of my head)
    Heh, don't worry. I've been a published author for long enough to have more than enough experience with how incredibly unreliable movie adaptions are. The mega-bestsellers are a fairly sure bet, but everything else is a complete crapshoot.

I'm doing the emails with Jim Butcher at the moment - it's pretty fun! I'll post the edited version once it's finished.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I didn't click on this thread for the longest time because I thought the thread's title is "Alex versus #1: Fated."

As in, somebody's weird VS thread pitting some character named Alex (and I'm supposed to know what/which Alex he's thinking of) and some character named #1 (or this is the first thread of an Alex vs Anybody). And he's pretentious enough to subtitle his VS thread "Fated."

I think you should change the title to "Published novel by yours truly, Alex Verus."
    Last edited by MLai; 2012-01-23 at 04:36 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30

Planetar

Third Encyclopaedia Arcana post is up: Types of Magic.

This is the last general article on the magic system for a while - the next few will move on to the groups of people that live in the world.

I'm about halfway through the email exchange with Jim Butcher, and I'm really enjoying it. We've been talking about the differences between our protagonists (especially what they can do) and how that affects the stories you end up writing.